10-year-old doesn't say pledge at school for gay rights

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: 10-year-old doesn't say pledge at school for gay rights

Post by fgalkin »

MarshalPurnell wrote:That the kid has any real awareness of such issues at all speaks highly for his intelligence. Usually at that age political sentiment is limited to repeating whatever they hear around them from their family. His stance indicates a degree of independent reasoning I wouldn't expect to see before the 9th grade, honestly.
Not to diminish what the kid did, but according to the article, he IS repeating whatever he heard around the family.
Will's family has a number of gay friends. In recent years, Laura Phillips said, they've been trying to be a straight ally to the gay community, going to the pride parades and standing up for the rights of their gay and lesbian neighbors.
Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

Wow what a kid. Its such a shame to see him get flak for his beliefs but its expected at this point.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

ArmorPierce wrote:Had to say it everyday from elementary school until high school where the class schedule was staggered so everyone did not come in at the same time so not much point. Then I moved out to Jersey and the daily recital of the pledge continued. Not only that, a lot of schools require you to sing the star spangle banner in addition to it. I recall getting in trouble for not singing the star spangle banner and me explaining that I didn't know the words was not good enough.
Seriously? In THIS century? I've never heard of students being required to sing the Star Spagled Banner daily.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:Had to say it everyday from elementary school until high school where the class schedule was staggered so everyone did not come in at the same time so not much point. Then I moved out to Jersey and the daily recital of the pledge continued. Not only that, a lot of schools require you to sing the star spangle banner in addition to it. I recall getting in trouble for not singing the star spangle banner and me explaining that I didn't know the words was not good enough.
Seriously? In THIS century? I've never heard of students being required to sing the Star Spagled Banner daily.
We did it in my elementary, junior and high schools; how else do you expect kids to learn the words?
Besides, every child should learn at least one drinking song, to prepare them for college. :P
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

God, that's terrifyingly creepy- even moreso than the pledge of allegience. I've never seen a class have to sing the pledge of allegience. Then again until today Nazi Germany was the only country I knew of that forced kids to sing anthems every day (Godwin's law?).
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Duckie wrote:God, that's terrifyingly creepy- even moreso than the pledge of allegience. I've never seen a class have to sing the pledge of allegience. Then again until today Nazi Germany was the only country I knew of that forced kids to sing anthems every day (Godwin's law?).
Uhh...do you mean "have to sing the Star Spangled Banner"?
As far as anthems go, it's not a bad one. Nothing about killing enemies, deities or royalty. And, again, it's set to the tune of a drinking song - which I can only see as a bonus.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Duckie wrote:God, that's terrifyingly creepy- even moreso than the pledge of allegience. I've never seen a class have to sing the pledge of allegience. Then again until today Nazi Germany was the only country I knew of that forced kids to sing anthems every day (Godwin's law?).
Its not that uncommon in Asia.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

er, yeah, sing a national anthem. Admittedly, the Star Spangled Banner is a pretty tame national anthem in terms of content (it's also a terrible one in my opinion, especially musically). But it's still creepily jingoistic to me.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I decided to comment:
The kid only did this because of the gays, and it is the gays' fault for converting this child into an anti-american terrorist hate-criminal.

To defend the kid's freedom, the American Military must declare a War on Gay Terror and go lynch some homosexuals.

Because if the gays and this kid doesn't like America, they should MOVE out. If they want to stay in America, they must wear armbands that mark out their undesirable freedom-hating homosexual or homosexual-loving status. To stop them from spreading AIDS, I think we should concentrate their populations in camps. Camps for concentrating. ;)

Any person who supports a homosexual is a person who loves homosexuals, and is thus homosexual. Homosexuals and homosexual-lovers disrespect the heterosexual military might of America by refusing to say the pledge of allegiance - which is a grave sin!

If the kid practices his freedom to refuse to say the pledge, then other people must have the freedom to insult him and say hateful things at him.

Because America is a free country and the freedom to not say a pledge of allegiance, and the freedom to say hateful things at homosexual-lovers, is WHAT BRAVE AMERICAN SOLDIERS DIED FOR!

RANGERS! SEMPER FI! HOOAH! GO ARMY POWER STRONGGO!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I decided to comment:
The kid only did this because of the gays, and it is the gays' fault for converting this child into an anti-american terrorist hate-criminal.

To defend the kid's freedom, the American Military must declare a War on Gay Terror and go lynch some homosexuals.

Because if the gays and this kid doesn't like America, they should MOVE out. If they want to stay in America, they must wear armbands that mark out their undesirable freedom-hating homosexual or homosexual-loving status. To stop them from spreading AIDS, I think we should concentrate their populations in camps. Camps for concentrating. ;)

Any person who supports a homosexual is a person who loves homosexuals, and is thus homosexual. Homosexuals and homosexual-lovers disrespect the heterosexual military might of America by refusing to say the pledge of allegiance - which is a grave sin!

If the kid practices his freedom to refuse to say the pledge, then other people must have the freedom to insult him and say hateful things at him.

Because America is a free country and the freedom to not say a pledge of allegiance, and the freedom to say hateful things at homosexual-lovers, is WHAT BRAVE AMERICAN SOLDIERS DIED FOR!

RANGERS! SEMPER FI! HOOAH! GO ARMY POWER STRONGGO!
I must say I find this "if you think like us, you love freedom, democracy'n'stuff, if not, you are a terrorist-loving gay commie bastard and waste of biological material" way of thinking unsettling. When I read your ironic comment here, I thought it was really outrageous and wondered how long it would take before the newspaper would remove it. Then I went there, and realized your comment fitted in nicely with a lot of the other comments. I just hope a lot of the other comments there are ironic, too, but fear they are not. Anyway: Shroomie! I think I love you. :wink:

Edit: I was too hasty here. Not removed by the newspaper, but being blasted to bits by other people... :oops:
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

Reminds of that story of a kid getting suspended for objecting to a teacher's (incorrect) definition of...damnit can't remember now. It was a basic thing like the definition of a kilometre or something. Legitimate debate should be encouraged, so that kids learn to think for themselves.
I think you are referring to this sir...

Code: Select all

http://www.snopes.com/humor/graphics/hilliker.gif
*chuckle*

But yes, sorry state of affairs when the fundmental right of freedom of speech and its associated principles can be so easily twisted in the name of the "greater" good, which is apparently in this case is to simply honour your country dispite what you may personnally beleive.

Kudos to the Kid, good luck to him.

Changed image code to code tags, because Snopes.com does not allow hotlinking ~Edi
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Alyeska wrote:I just love the comments that the assholes are making about this kid.
Hell, Who would have thought it, give someone freedom of speech, and what do they do, say what they want. (sarcasm mode in overdrive here).

Don't you know that freedom of speech is only meant to be there as long as you agree with the wackjobs?
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Here one of my favorite comments:
This kid is obviously being USED by adults to further the gay agenda. What kind of straight 10 year old boy with two heterosexual parents just decides one day to disobey his teachers and face ridicule from every other classmate to support homosexuals?? He's being led into this and it's unfair to him.

This isn't the first time and won't be the last . . even civil rights "leaders" like rosa parks were not acting on their own, but being led by others. She sat where she sat because she was told to in order to further the civil rights agenda, and this is much of the same. The questions is - if it's not his parents using him then who is it?
Extra points for hinting at an evil gay conspiracy
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Oh actually I was wrong. It was when I moved out from Jersey to New York (I've moved in between a couple times) where they required you to sing the star spangle banner. The pledge of allegiance stopping in hs at hs in ny but continuing it through in nj is correct as far as I know (in my school in ny, they may have held the pledge before I got there but I don't think so).
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

We have the little kids sing the Star Spangled Banner, pretty much so they learn the words.

That said, we have religious students who can't recite the pledge and I've never said boo about it. Shitty sub, that's for sure.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I've an inkling of the sort of shit people kick up when you don't recite. I managed to have a reason that was less ripe for trouble from administration, at least. But still, this kid is amazing. I nominate him for 'Badass Motherfucker Of The Week'. No one gave an age limit.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

This kid is obviously being USED by adults to further the nigger agenda. What kind of white 10 year old boy with two white parents just decides one day to disobey his teachers and face ridicule from every other classmate to support niggers?? He's being led into this and it's unfair to him.
(Bolded my replacements)

Funny how it's an argument which can be used against anyone protesting for civil rights anywhere, but because the fight for ending segregation is over and done with, most of these fucks would never try to make that one, huh?
This isn't the first time and won't be the last . . even civil rights "leaders" like rosa parks were not acting on their own, but being led by others. She sat where she sat because she was told to in order to further the civil rights agenda, and this is much of the same. The questions is - if it's not his parents using him then who is it?
For bonus points, he manages to distort the entire Rosa Parks case. Yay!

Also, Shroom, you should've left it at your first comment, since now only a retard would try to agree with you. We could've gotten so much hilarity! :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

I dunno why all you people are so creeped out by saying the pledge of allegiance every morning. We stood and sang O' Canada! every day from elementary school to high school. Sure, it's propagandistic broadcasting and programming national loyalty into the brains of children, but I don't see a particular problem with that, because by programming said loyalties, you keep your future workforce in your country and maybe get a few soldiers a decade or two down the line. National pride is an important economic and military tool and it'd be silly to expect a government not to use it.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Except for some reason there are governments that don't use it, and if you didn't grow up in one of those that do, it's creepy. Because those 10-year olds then grow up and equate patriotism with worshipping the flag, reciting the pledge and loving the military, rather than a sense of civic duty, drive for improvement of their government and care for the people that your nation consists of.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

There was actually a guy in my highschool who wouldn't say the pledge. The teacher just shrugged and said 'fine, but you still need to stand'. Seemed like a good compromise that prevented trips to the office.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Negi Springfield
Redshirt

Post by Negi Springfield »

Jade Falcon wrote:
Alyeska wrote:I just love the comments that the assholes are making about this kid.
Hell, Who would have thought it, give someone freedom of speech, and what do they do, say what they want. (sarcasm mode in overdrive here).

Don't you know that freedom of speech is only meant to be there as long as you agree with the wackjobs?
I don't mind freedom of speech since it allows us to analyze the IQ of a slice of the world population. It is a great thing when it is used as a means to convince people that they can say WHATEVER they want. Give some people a rope and they might use it constructively and for something useful. Give it to a complete moron and they might just hang themselves with it. For me at least the people who misuse freedom of speech are the ones in the latter catagory, rather than the former.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Define "misuse".

Edit: *shrugs* Never mind then.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

when i lived in Jersey they didn't force us to do the pledge past 5th grade.
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Captain Seafort wrote:Define "misuse".

Edit: *shrugs* Never mind then.
He won't be responding to you, since he's banned for being the sockpuppet of an already banned user.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Yeah, I worked my way down to Parting Shots a couple of minutes after I posted that - hence the edit.