AR-15's brought to Obama townhall.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Paradox
Youngling

Re: AR-15's brought to Obama townhall.

Post by Paradox »

Darth Wong wrote:Perhaps during the next election, Republicans can stand outside polling stations conspicuously bearing rifles and waving signs saying "Vote Republican" in peoples' faces while they wait to vote. Maybe they could also have conspicuously armed protesters harassing people in poor minority-dominated areas who are registering to vote.

As long as we're going to allow political intimidation with a smile, why try to hide its true face?
Yeah, It could be just like the Black Panthers in '08 who were standing outside polling stations intimidating voters with Nightsticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

Back to the guns at the debate...
When I first read this story, the first thing that crossed my mind was "SETUP!" Seriously though, there's only 1 reason a man with an AR15 was allowed anywhere near a protest/town hall. Because he was allowed/ordered to be there by Obama and his SS in order to make "Those crazy racist, gun nut, pro-lifer, birther, Bible clinging, right wing Republicans!" look even more out of control. I'm sure we will start to see some anti-gun legislation start to pour into Congress, along with more support for socialized health care for the masses. All in all, it was a brilliant piece of propaganda, well played by the Administration. Gobbels would be proud. I'm just annoyed that they used my home state in which to stage it in.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Are you insane?
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Paradox wrote:When I first read this story, the first thing that crossed my mind was "SETUP!"
Was this after you slipped on the tin-foil cap over your head? Better loosen it a bit--it's cutting off circulation.
Gobbels would be proud. I'm just annoyed that they used my home state in which to stage it in.
What is it with you people and the Nazism-slinging comparison fetish?
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Samuel wrote:Are you insane?
While he might be, this is the new thing filtering through to the masses. I have no idea where it came from, but one of my coworkers-who-I-don't-talk-politics-with came up to me with this one a few days ago, and I've heard it from three or four other sources as well. Said coworker was also the first one I heard about the "death panel" thing from, too.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Paradox wrote:Back to the guns at the debate...
When I first read this story, the first thing that crossed my mind was "SETUP!" Seriously though, there's only 1 reason a man with an AR15 was allowed anywhere near a protest/town hall. Because he was allowed/ordered to be there by Obama and his SS in order to make "Those crazy racist, gun nut, pro-lifer, birther, Bible clinging, right wing Republicans!" look even more out of control. I'm sure we will start to see some anti-gun legislation start to pour into Congress, along with more support for socialized health care for the masses. All in all, it was a brilliant piece of propaganda, well played by the Administration. Gobbels would be proud. I'm just annoyed that they used my home state in which to stage it in.
Evidence, please.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

It's as if they have shut off all critical-thinking abilities. These people, such as Paradox ably demonstrates, are little more than parrots. Wait, no, that's too harsh towards real parrots.

I am still amazed that people like this are able to muster up enough synaptic activity to copy and paste, hell, to even just recite the talking points. I guess the scripts are helpful.
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

What is so insane about it? Politics is dirty, if you think one side is cleaner then the other, and wouldn't dare stage something to make the other side look bad, your the insane one.

I'd like to give "my side" the benefit of the doubt that they are not that stupid to show up to a protest with a rifle, it would be like Pro-Obama supporters showing up wearing hammer and sickle t-shirts or pasting up Che posters at their elections headquarters, oh wait...
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Evidence, please.
Ok, I'm gonna track the guy down, and get him to admit that he's an ACORN operative. :roll:

Funny how dissent suddenly went out of fashion after the election.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Paradox wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:
Evidence, please.
Ok, I'm gonna track the guy down, and get him to admit that he's an ACORN operative. :roll:

Funny how dissent suddenly went out of fashion after the election.
Funny how you don't back your blather with anything resembling verifiable proof and instead toss out Red Herrings about ACORN. So I will insist: evidence of your assertion. Or kindly shut the fuck up.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:What is so insane about it? Politics is dirty, if you think one side is cleaner then the other, and wouldn't dare stage something to make the other side look bad, your the insane one.
It's less that it's distasteful and more that it's falacious and just plain dumb. You know what else Hitler was a proponent of? Consuming food. Try attacking the argument next time.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Paradox wrote:I'd like to give "my side" the benefit of the doubt that they are not that stupid to show up to a protest with a rifle, it would be like Pro-Obama supporters showing up wearing hammer and sickle t-shirts or pasting up Che posters at their elections headquarters, oh wait...
Because wearing hackneyed T-shirts or displaying signs featuring the face of a long-dead revolutionary is just like showing up brandishing weapons.

I just want to add, the Nazism meme is so very painfully tired. The people in the US who throw around that sad little attempt at an insult have no idea just how horrible it would be if there really were Nazis or their ilk in power.

We have it so very fucking easy in this country.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2009-08-19 11:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Paradox wrote:What is so insane about it? Politics is dirty, if you think one side is cleaner then the other, and wouldn't dare stage something to make the other side look bad, your the insane one.

I'd like to give "my side" the benefit of the doubt that they are not that stupid to show up to a protest with a rifle, it would be like Pro-Obama supporters showing up wearing hammer and sickle t-shirts or pasting up Che posters at their elections headquarters, oh wait...
If you're trying to keep people from thinking you're insane, please remember, (A) There is a reason the US Secret Service abbreviates its name USSS and yes, that is germane to the discussion, (B) the Democrats have yet to come out swinging that hard, and I would hope that if they were, they would do it in a more coordinated manner, (C) the Open Carry nuts and the anti-UHC nuts have been advocating the bringing of any weapon you can to the rallies, (D) the phrase "ACORN operative" is practically a right wing rally cry, and (E)
OBAMA IS NOT COBRA COMMANDER!
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

If he were, shit might actually be getting done.
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

Geez, I love the Ad hominem attacks when it comes to political arguments, tin foil caps, thats a new one!

Anyways, me VS the entire Obama campaign machine, I think they are going to be pretty good at covering their tracks if they are doing any sort of shady activity, I never claimed I had proof, it was just a personal hunch based on experience. The last year emotions have ran high because of the Nations policies taking a sudden swerve to the Left. There are many people who are angry about it, and many people who are somehow shocked that the other half is angry. We seem to go through this cycle every 4-8 years, and people seem to forget that.

People made claims that Bush Jr was only in it for the Oil, or to punish Saddam for making a fool of his daddy, and Right Wingers attacked them for being unpatriotic, traitors etc, and we've seen all sorts of interesting things come to light in the last 7 years. As for the Nazism/Hitler references, if I had seen ONE MORE Bush = Hitler reference during his term in office, I was going to throw up.
Last edited by Paradox on 2009-08-19 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

You don't get it, do you? If you have nothing to support your assertions but tea leaves and goat entrails, you should expect all the disregard and ridicule you get. Troofers aren't given any quarter on this board, either.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Paradox wrote:Anyways, me VS the entire Obama campaign machine, I think they are going to be pretty good at covering their tracks if they are doing any sort of shady activity, I never claimed I had proof, it was just a personal hunch based on experience.
What experience is that? And please provide specific examples.
The last year emotions have ran high because of the Nations policies taking a sudden swerve to the Left.
The nation's policies have taken a swerve to the left? Can you provide examples that have actually passed?
There are many people who are angry about it, and many people who are somehow shocked that the other half is angry. We seem to go through this cycle every 4-8 years, and people seem to forget that.
No, what they are shocked about is the fact that if we said that, "Hey, something smells fishy about this." We were demonized as unpatriotic, but now right wing spin-doctors can just make shit up, and whip people into a homicidal rage, and we're supposed to take it.
People made claims that Bush Jr was only in it for the Oil, or to punish Saddam for making a fool of his daddy, and Right Wingers attacked them for being unpatriotic, traitors etc, and we've seen all sorts of interesting things come to light in the last 7 years.
So now it gets to continue, but with violence and intimidation?
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Paradox wrote:Geez, I love the Ad hominem attacks when it comes to political arguments, tin foil caps, thats a new one!

Anyways, me VS the entire Obama campaign machine, I think they are going to be pretty good at covering their tracks if they are doing any sort of shady activity, I never claimed I had proof, it was just a personal hunch based on experience. The last year emotions have ran high because of the Nations policies taking a sudden swerve to the Left. There are many people who are angry about it, and many people who are somehow shocked that the other half is angry. We seem to go through this cycle every 4-8 years, and people seem to forget that.

People made claims that Bush Jr was only in it for the Oil, or to punish Saddam for making a fool of his daddy, and Right Wingers attacked them for being unpatriotic, traitors etc, and we've seen all sorts of interesting things come to light in the last 7 years. As for the Nazism/Hitler references, if I had seen ONE MORE Bush = Hitler reference during his term in office, I was going to throw up.
Evidence for your assertions. Or learn to enjoy your stay here as our new resident chewtoy before a moderator finally bans your worthless ass when your entertainment value expires.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

Wow, 2nd time: It was a gut instinct. I don't expect any administration, Bush, Obama, whoever, to be above board in their dealings.

Meanwhile I didn't even mention Obama not being a US citizen, yet I've been somehow put in that group? If he's passed the inspection of the Elections board and Congress, and he's sitting in the White House, its a little late to even worry about that, I'm not sure why those people do either.

They say people who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, but whenever someone makes a comparison to the Nazi's, (unless its comparing them to a Republican) people seem to go unhinged.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Paradox wrote:Wow, 2nd time: It was a gut instinct. I don't expect any administration, Bush, Obama, whoever, to be above board in their dealings.
Yes, but at the same time, you can't have it both ways. What was your reaction to Colin Powell at the UN? Did you assume that Bush was fabricating the evidence there? Are you a truther? These are both similar things that you are proposing, albeit on a slightly different scale.
Meanwhile I didn't even mention Obama not being a US citizen, yet I've been somehow put in that group? If he's passed the inspection of the Elections board and Congress, and he's sitting in the White House, its a little late to even worry about that, I'm not sure why those people do either.
Newsflash: Truther =/= Birther
They say people who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, but whenever someone makes a comparison to the Nazi's, (unless its comparing them to a Republican) people seem to go unhinged.
Actually, what I've seen people get unhinged about is the false comparisons. BTW, some right wingers take a comparison to Nazis as a complement.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Darth Raptor wrote:If he were, shit might actually be getting done.
We can dream, can't we.

I took a look at the spacebattles version of these thread and it was... :banghead:
Wow, 2nd time: It was a gut instinct. I don't expect any administration, Bush, Obama, whoever, to be above board in their dealings.
Yeah, but it doesn't mean they set up secret prison camps to torture people- evil has standards.
Because there is no reason for a comparison? Beside, Hitler would never smoke. The Furher was above such vile habits.
As for the Nazism/Hitler references, if I had seen ONE MORE Bush = Hitler reference during his term in office, I was going to throw up.
Would you like me to explain the meaning of the word fascism and how Bush seemed dedicated to checking off the list?

Lets see...
-supernationalism
-veneration of the military
-anti-intellectualism
-torture
-silencing opponents
-control over the media
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

Jason L. Miles wrote:
Paradox wrote:Anyways, me VS the entire Obama campaign machine, I think they are going to be pretty good at covering their tracks if they are doing any sort of shady activity, I never claimed I had proof, it was just a personal hunch based on experience.
What experience is that? And please provide specific examples.
The last year emotions have ran high because of the Nations policies taking a sudden swerve to the Left.
The nation's policies have taken a swerve to the left? Can you provide examples that have actually passed?
There are many people who are angry about it, and many people who are somehow shocked that the other half is angry. We seem to go through this cycle every 4-8 years, and people seem to forget that.
No, what they are shocked about is the fact that if we said that, "Hey, something smells fishy about this." We were demonized as unpatriotic, but now right wing spin-doctors can just make shit up, and whip people into a homicidal rage, and we're supposed to take it.
People made claims that Bush Jr was only in it for the Oil, or to punish Saddam for making a fool of his daddy, and Right Wingers attacked them for being unpatriotic, traitors etc, and we've seen all sorts of interesting things come to light in the last 7 years.
So now it gets to continue, but with violence and intimidation?
1: Not personal experience, but how long did the Government lie about Area 51 really existing?

2: Cash for Clunkers, why am I paying $40 in taxes so someone can buy a new car? Socialism one tiny swallow at a time.

3: Hey I was as shocked as everyone when Big Brother got on the Telescreen and said "Afghanistan is the enemy! kill kill kill!" *looks down* "Death to Iraq! kill kill kill!" public = :?:

4: I guess we'll see what happens in the next few years. I hope I'm VERY wrong, and people start to calm down, otherwise someone is going to go weapons hot at another protest, and we are all going to be in a world of shit.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Paradox wrote:1: Not personal experience, but how long did the Government lie about Area 51 really existing?
Where the... UFOs are being reverse-engineered, right?
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

1: Not personal experience, but how long did the Government lie about Area 51 really existing?
Quite frankly there is a reason government military programs are classified. If I need to explain why we don't want other countries to know about them, there is no hope for you.
2: Cash for Clunkers, why am I paying $40 in taxes so someone can buy a new car? Socialism one tiny swallow at a time.
:banghead:
Just read this
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=122469
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Paradox wrote:1: Not personal experience, but how long did the Government lie about Area 51 really existing?
Is this a joke? If not, please provide evidence that the government lied about Area 51 actually existing, because as I recall, it is a nickname for Range 4808 North, which I believe is on general aviation charts.

EDIT: If I go and ask the Press Secretary if the government has a secret base named Pink Fluffy Bunny Land is it still a lie to say no if some Marines call 29 Palms that?
But you're OK with paying 20 times as much to bail out banks?
3: Hey I was as shocked as everyone when Big Brother got on the Telescreen and said "Afghanistan is the enemy! kill kill kill!" *looks down* "Death to Iraq! kill kill kill!" public = :?:
What the hell does that have to do with my third point, which I'll repeat below:
4: I guess we'll see what happens in the next few years. I hope I'm VERY wrong, and people start to calm down, otherwise someone is going to go weapons hot at another protest, and we are all going to be in a world of shit.
I believe that's exactly what everyone is worried about.
Paradox
Youngling

Post by Paradox »

Jason L. Miles wrote:
Is this a joke? If not, please provide evidence that the government lied about Area 51 actually existing, because as I recall, it is a nickname for Range 4808 North, which I believe is on general aviation charts.

EDIT: If I go and ask the Press Secretary if the government has a secret base named Pink Fluffy Bunny Land is it still a lie to say no if some Marines call 29 Palms that?
But you're OK with paying 20 times as much to bail out banks?
What the hell does that have to do with my third point, which I'll repeat below:
I believe that's exactly what everyone is worried about.
Ok so Area 51 was a bad example. How about Politicians who make promises they don't deliver on? "Read My Lips" and "No families making less then $250,000 will see new taxes!" I think from now on I'll just vote for the party with the most positions opposite of my own, since they either A: Never get them accomplished, or B: take steps backwards.

I never said I was ok with the Bank Bailouts either. They should have been allowed to fail, along with GM and Chrysler, I bet if the Government hadn't of intervened, they would have figured things out on their own.

The Big Brother reference was to the Iraq war starting just a few months after 9-11. Unless I was yet again the only person who thought "wait, why are we attacking a country totally unrelated to the country that supposedly attacked us on 9-11?" I remember being in a bar with some friends hearing about it, and didn't want to say anything around a bunch of drunken fair-weather Patriots, for fear of getting stabbed with a broken beer bottle.