Hypothetical terrorist attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

aerius wrote:Gotta agree with Patrick Degan, blowing up an NFL game on live TV would probably be the next best thing to another 9/11 in terms of creating public panic and terror. If the goal is to terrorize the public, then the above combined with random streetside nailbombs, carbombs, and sniper shootings would be the way to go. I'd also try to derail some passenger trains or subways while I'm at it.
Probably true.

Follow it up with an energy blackout by hitting key energy grid targets, once the news channels are abuzz with the events. After seeing the explosions on live TV, millions of people would suddenly be cut off.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
metavac
Village Idiot

Post by metavac »

Here's my plan 10 point plan:

1. divide the money evenly amongst my men and send them on their way
2. put a down payment on a huge modern ranch
3. take a BA Business Administration correspondence course.
4. Get a job as a human resource manager for Home Depot.
5. Get an IRA and a hefty life insurance policy.
6. Marry a curvy Armenian woman with big gazongas to maintain my cover.
7. Get a big plasma TV.
8. Have 2 1/2 kids to further maintain my cover
9. Work my way up the regional human resources management ladder until I at least get the number 2 position
10. Once kids are out of college, send a message back to Main Terrorist Headquarters to indicate I'm fully in place and require additional funds.
metavac
Village Idiot

Post by metavac »

Seriously, though? I'd set up two dummy corporations under the guise of private charter flights, spin off three of my cleanest guys to manage the money for them and purchase three Learjets and fuel. I'd have another team detailed to acquiring large amounts of fertilizer and the trucks to transport them to the airfield. I'd base two aircraft in Seattle and one in Reagan National. I probably couldn't get fertilizer the National bird, so I'd simply crash that into the Capitol building. The other two I'd send after the Space Needle.
metavac
Village Idiot

Post by metavac »

Fort McNair might also be a good target.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

metavac wrote:Seriously, though? I'd set up two dummy corporations under the guise of private charter flights, spin off three of my cleanest guys to manage the money for them and purchase three Learjets and fuel. I'd have another team detailed to acquiring large amounts of fertilizer and the trucks to transport them to the airfield. I'd base two aircraft in Seattle and one in Reagan National. I probably couldn't get fertilizer the National bird, so I'd simply crash that into the Capitol building. The other two I'd send after the Space Needle.
I'm pretty sure $20M isn't enough to buy three Learjets.

Also, as far as national icons go, the Needle isn't nearly that notable. (I'm guessing you have something personal against it?)
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
metavac
Village Idiot

Post by metavac »

Uraniun235 wrote:I'm pretty sure $20M isn't enough to buy three Learjets.
Not looking for the latest model.
Also, as far as national icons go, the Needle isn't nearly that notable. (I'm guessing you have something personal against it?)
Nothing personal. I guess my objective would be simply to cause mass casualties. I'm sure there are targets and avenues better suited for that aim.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: To be honest, I can only emote shock at how we've come this far and not had al-Qaeda carry out such attacks on Western soil. True enough, Americ and and British soldiers are somewhat easier prey over in Iraq and A-stan. People feel it, but not as they would if they had to worry about going to the local mall without being blown to hell.

Terror attacks from nailbombs in city centres and lone snipers playing certain areas then vanishing would evoke a response by the public. You could carry out simultaneous attacks on infrastructure such as vulnerable refineries, pylons and waterworks to make the long lasting impact harm the country.

Either the terrorists are stupid, or I have newfound respect for our intelligence services. Option 3 is less acceptable; we're just lucky.
I've been thinking about this too, and I think the real answer is that Islamic terrorists simply don't see hitting the US on their soil as a top priority right now. It's pretty obvious that terror bombings wouldn't be hard at all given our lax border security, yet we remain virtually untouched. I'd say that there just isn't much of an advantage for them to hit us at this point in time.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Starting forest fires would be awesome. And how about hitting hard on the suburbs? Mailbombs and serial murder-death-killer-rapists would be horrifying.

How about murdering old people in retirement homes?

Abducting a black girl, murdering her and stringing her up a cross and lighting it on fire would be horrifying and divisive as well.

It'd be great if our crew of hypothetical terrorists was a multi-ethnic team, the white guys would target black people, the arabic-looking ones would hit Jews, the black guys would attack whites, and so on. Holy crap, that'd cause a lot of shit.

And kill celebrities.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Broomstick wrote:
Coyote wrote:You can also strike at oil tankyards, or, the ten-miilion bucks will allow you to buy a couple of Cessnas for either remote-control operations or a suicide operation to kamekaze into oil storage facilities.
I realize that after 9/11 everyone is convinced all airplanes are the poor man's cruise missile, and arguably airliners are, but it would have to be a honking big Cessna to do significant damage to oil storage facitilies...
I'd be thinking of something with additional explosives packed aboard, adding punch to the actual crash.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Coyote wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Coyote wrote:You can also strike at oil tankyards, or, the ten-miilion bucks will allow you to buy a couple of Cessnas for either remote-control operations or a suicide operation to kamekaze into oil storage facilities.
I realize that after 9/11 everyone is convinced all airplanes are the poor man's cruise missile, and arguably airliners are, but it would have to be a honking big Cessna to do significant damage to oil storage facitilies...
I'd be thinking of something with additional explosives packed aboard, adding punch to the actual crash.
Airplanes have much smaller payloads than comparable sized trucks, and lacking penetrating power, the blast tends to remain exterior to the target. See that accident involving a Cirrus slamming into the side of a New York City building - that one actually did have explosives aboard, as part of the ballistic recovery system, as well as fuel. Of course, there was damage done but aside from fire damage to two units and some scorch marks the damage consisted mainly of managled airplane and pilot parts hitting the street. No question it was frightening to those involved but it wasn't what most people think of as terrorism. You need a really, really BIG airplane to cause a lot of damage using the battering ram technique. There are other techniques airplanes are better suited for. That why we've seen a lot more truck and car bombs than airplane bombs.

And really, if I was the Evil Mastermind, I'd use trucks as my battering-rams. Run a gasoline tanker into a school full of kids, with a few explosives strapped on for shrapnel effects - yeah, that would definitely have an effect. It's a lot easier to get close to a school with a truck than an airplane.

A lot depends on what your goals are. Do you want mass casualties? Target chemical refineries, or large public gatherings. Do you want to disrupt transportation? Target airlines or railroads (highways would be good, except we have so many roads you'd have to hit a hell of a lot of 'em to shut down the system) Do you want to damage infrastructure? Hit bridges and tunnels, electrical grid, water systems. Do you want to deny an area to your enemy? Dirty bomb the place.

Why haven't we seen another 9/11? Well, for one thing, that sort of technique is now a hell of a lot harder to pull off. There have been a few instances of attempted hijackings in various parts of the world since 2001 and pretty much every time the passengers rose up and either subdued or outright killed the hijackers. Apparently, no one is willing to play sheep for hijackers anymore. So a new strategy must be devised and put into place, possibly taking years of prep.

There is also the fact that yes, in fact, the goverments of the world do have intelligence/police agencies that really do put a stop to some attacks. It's not all propaganda. Of necessity, much of this work really must be kept secret until long after the fact.

And a final factor, beyond luck, is that MOST people don't really want to go to war, and even fewer are the sort of rabid, mouth-frothing fanatics required to pull off these acts of depravity. I don't doubt there are people who hate any particular country you care to name, but most such folks are too busy earning a living, raising families, and the like to run off an join a secret society intent on killing and maiming others. I realize that is an appeal to human nature, which is usually considered an odd thing, but if you stop and think about it, there is some truth here. Even for a soldier actual battle is only a small part of life. Events such as Bhopal and Chernobyl were accidents - very, very few events of war or terror come close to that level of casualties. Why is that, that accidents so often cause more damage than delibrately planned mayhem? I suspect (though can not prove) that it is due at least in part to the vast majority of human beings desiring to keep things safe and intervening/acting to bring that about.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

Have each if the 15 members go to 15 different shopping malls around the country. On Black Friday, detonate backpack bombs in each mall. Watch as the malls become ghost towns and the biggest shopping season of the year comes grinding to a halt. Businesses will be sent reeling as people will be too terrified to go shopping.

Sadly, I have no idea as to how this could be prevented. There are just too many places that could be potential targets.
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino