Man does lawsuit to have 'Jerusalem, Israel' as birthplace

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

dr. what
Jedi Master

Man does lawsuit to have 'Jerusalem, Israel' as birthplace

Post by dr. what »

Clicky the linky here
An 18-year-old Toronto man has launched a legal challenge against Ottawa, accusing the federal government of discrimination because it will not allow his Canadian passport to be changed to indicate that his birthplace – Jerusalem – is part of Israel.

"I feel that the government is rejecting and denying my religious belief in the significance of Jerusalem to the Jewish religion," Eliyahu Veffer wrote on his court affidavit.

Eliyahu Veffer points to the information on his passport.
Because of the conflict over control of Jerusalem between Israelis and Palestinians, immigrants to Canada who were born in Jerusalem are issued passports that have only the city listed as their birthplace, without any reference to a country. Veffer wants the birthplace on his passport to read, "Jerusalem, Israel."

The case is being heard in a federal court in Winnipeg.

Veffer, his father, a Toronto rabbi, his mother and five siblings moved to Canada about eight years ago.

"There are many other people who believe the same way," said Veffer's lawyer David Matas. "It's a matter of freedom of religion, equality, freedom of political opinion."

Matas said with the exception of Jerusalem, Canada's policy is that when a city is disputed territory, the passport applicant is allowed to choose which country to include.

But lawyers for the federal government say the status of Jerusalem has been in dispute since 1948, when the state of Israel came into existence.

They say Canada's policy is similar to other countries – to let the Israelis and Palestinians negotiate their competing claims of sovereignty over the city.

Until then, a change in Canada's policy could show favouritism to the Israeli side and prejudice a peaceful political settlement, the lawyers claim.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay admitted it's a complicated issue.

"We do not identify Jerusalem as being in Israel or in Palestine," he said. "That's something that has to be resolved in the context of the larger issues outstanding in the Middle East."

The federal court also heard from a coaliton called Canadians for Jerusalem, made up mostly of Muslim groups, but also including some Christians and Jews.

The group said Jerusalem is significant to all three monotheistic faiths. They say that Canada would be playing a dangerous political game if it allowed Veffer and others to identify Jerusalem as part of Israel on a passport.

"A Canadian passport, it's not a billboard to project your religion," said Mohamed Boudjenane, a spokesman for the group.

"The Canadian passport is a travel document."
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

a Zionist fuckwit wrote:""I feel that the government is rejecting and denying my religious belief in the significance of Jerusalem to the Jewish religion," Eliyahu Veffer wrote on his court affidavit.
What is it with all these religiously inspired idiots who think that what they want to be true, especially if they found their hopes on some old book or other, should trump reality?
some idiot lawyer wrote:"There are many other people who believe the same way," said Veffer's lawyer David Matas. "It's a matter of freedom of religion, equality, freedom of political opinion, that people should be able to deny objective reality and simply write whatever the hell you wish was true on legal documents"
There fixed that for him

Maybe I should sue the British government for not letting me have a passport that says I Captain Dread am a professional pirate who I was born in 1982 in Barcelona, Britain? Of course none of those facts are actually true but I really want them to be, reality and the state are clearly discriminating against me.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Why exactly is it wrong to let him change that? To change from Jerusalem to Jerusalem,Israel dosn't seem like a large change.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Ace Pace wrote:Why exactly is it wrong to let him change that? To change from Jerusalem to Jerusalem,Israel dosn't seem like a large change.
So you don't care if Jerusalem is part of Palestine or Israel?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Since when is not having your country of origin on your passport a fucking religious issue? Some of these dipshits seem to enjoy doing anything to blow something grossly out of proportion and cry religious discrimination.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Ace Pace wrote:Why exactly is it wrong to let him change that? To change from Jerusalem to Jerusalem,Israel dosn't seem like a large change.
The problem is that Canada doesn't agree that all of Jerusalem is part of Israel. At least some of it (in Canada's official view) belong's to someone other than Israel.

So Canada doesn't want to put on an official document issued by the government a standment that is contrary to Canada's offical position on the matter. And a passport is a very official piece of paper, since it basically has the government certifying that the person carrying the passport is as described. So at least from a logic standpoint, I agree with the decision. In Canada's view, Jerusalem is not part of Israel. Therefore, they will not certify that you were born in Jerusalem, Israel - you either are from Jerusalem, or Israel, not both. Whether the underlying policy makes sense is a topic I'll avoid (otherwise we are back into the I&P quagmire). The religious discrimination bit is bullshit. Canada takes this position for anyone listing Jersualem as a birthplace -Moslem, Jew, or Scientologist.

The sensitivity of passports is one reason the Canadian government has started using Minister's certificates to not issue passports to the Khadr's and a few others who have a disturbing tendency to "lose" their passports while being involved in actitivities Canada isn't that happy about.
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Right now, would not someone wishing to have Jerusalem, Palestine on their passport also have equal claim to do so?
For the sake of paperwork alone it's better to leave it as just Jerusalem. Ideal? Maybe not. But it's a god damn disputed zone. This guy needs to learn to live with it.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

Ace Pace wrote:Why exactly is it wrong to let him change that?
Because he wants it. :lol:

But seriously - passports are the property of the state, regardless of the state's reasoning. He should be laughed out of court.
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Metrion Cascade wrote:

But seriously - passports are the property of the state, regardless of the state's reasoning. He should be laughed out of court.
Problem is, if he is then will he accept it's because his request was silly?
No! It'll be because of RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION! :roll:
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

Cao Cao wrote:
Metrion Cascade wrote:

Problem is, if he is then will he accept it's because his request was silly?
No! It'll be because of RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION! :roll:
I don't think he could ever see the silliness of his request. It wouldn't be very faithful of him to change his mind like that.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Mr Veffer sure is being oppressed. Damn you Canadians and your hate laws!
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Ace, look at it this way - what if a Palestinian had wanted it to be "Jerusalem, Palestine"?

My sympathy for the man is zero. Canada has a right not to take sides. At least he's not playing the anti-Semite card.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Faqa wrote:Ace, look at it this way - what if a Palestinian had wanted it to be "Jerusalem, Palestine"?
Erm, methinks that that was sarcasm.

Just to add my $0.02 (Cdn), the guy will get laughed out of court, if it even gets that far. He has no basis on which to argue discrimination, and that's that.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Plekhanov wrote:
Seeing as how it's not really under debate, no.
Jerusalem is a spoil of war; Israel won it fair and square; end of statement.

Whether or not it will *remain* part of Israel is debatable, but it is currently a part of the State of Israel. Heck, seeing as how there is no state of Palestine, that shouldn't even be an option - half of it was part of Jordan before the Six-Day War.

Actually, does the article mention exactly *where* in Jerusalem this guy was born? If he was born in the western part of the city, then it should most definitely be "Jerusalem, Israel"; only the eastern part of the city was captured from Jordan. West Jerusalem was held by Israel since the modern State of Israel's creation.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Molyneux wrote:
Plekhanov wrote:
Odd then that Israeli prime ministers have been involved in talks with Palestinians about the future status of Jerusalem, that the United Nations doesn't recognise Israel’s sovereignty over it, nor do the vast majority of the worlds governments.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Possession is 9/10 of the law. Israel is currently in control of Jerusalem.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

Beowulf wrote:Possession is 9/10 of the law. Israel is currently in control of Jerusalem.
So, every time the city changes hands, the government has to re-issue everybody's passports?
Why does he keep looking at you in the same way a starving man looks at a packet of peanuts?
It's because he can't wait to get the wrapper off and taste the salty goodness! --Kryten, Red Dwarf

Understanding is a very loaded word. --Dr. Paul
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Beowulf wrote:Possession is 9/10 of the law.
Which law is this exactly?
Israel is currently in control of Jerusalem.
And the Canadian government is in control of Canada so unless Israel invades there as well the Canadian gov can recognise sovereignty and print passports as it sees fit.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Beowulf wrote:Possession is 9/10 of the law.
'Trite Cliches' are not a logical argument.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Actually, the Canadian government is making a political statement by denying Jerusalem as a part of Israel.

The Arabic name for the same city is 'al-Quds'. There would not be a "Jerusalm, Palestine", there would be a "al-Quds, Palestine" if the situation were reveresed. If the city area does get partitioned, the Arab-Palestinian part of the city would not be known by a Jewish name, but by its Arabic one.

The issue is especially pointed because for Israel, Jerusalem is the capitol. If we were talking about a city in a disputed area-- lets say, one of the now-abandoned settlemets in Gaza-- the Canadian government could say that they are trying to skirt an issue or conflict. The Canadian government is hinting that Jerusalem's existince within the borders fo Israel is illegitimate. That is a political statement.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

WE consider it our capital. Every other country treats Tel Aviv as the capital(all the embassies, for example, are in Tel Aviv).

It's an issue on the world scale, and I see no reason why Canada should be forced to take a side.

If an Arab had asked for it to be "Al-Quds"(The Holy City, BTW), Palestine, the analogy still holds.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Wow that's just utterly retarded regardless as to politics, because part of Jerusalem has always been part of the Israeli state.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Plekhanov wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Plekhanov wrote: So you don't care if Jerusalem is part of Palestine or Israel?
Odd then that Israeli prime ministers have been involved in talks with Palestinians about the future status of Jerusalem, that the United Nations doesn't recognise Israel’s sovereignty over it, nor do the vast majority of the worlds governments.
I wrote:Whether or not it will *remain* part of Israel is debatable
I never said that Jerusalem in its entirety will always remain part of Israel, though I personally think it should; I said that it is currently a part of the state of Israel.

Sea Skimmer wrote:Wow that's just utterly retarded regardless as to politics, because part of Jerusalem has always been part of the Israeli state.
Well, it's been part of Israel since the creation of the modern State of Israel, at least.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

What I really want know is why he fucking cares? Oh no, it only says Jerusalem on your passport, what will you do know? Seriously, stop whining asshole. Of all the problems in the world, you choose this to get all pissy about? This is truly a sign of an affluent people: they can fling shit and throw a fit about the most mundane problems.

Besides, with this as a precedent, the Canadian government would have to reissue passports every time a city changes hands. That's a needless hassle, and half the people wouldn't even give a shit. Only people with nothing to do but sit and bitch would protest over something as retarded as this.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Veffer, his father, a Toronto rabbi, his mother and five siblings moved to Canada about eight years ago.
You're not from the country?

Well, then, let me say, as a Canadian, If you don't like it, GET THE FUCK OUT.

See? Canada won't recognize your precious Jerusalem as Israeli cause it doesn't want to take sides and that upsets you? Then leave. Simple as that.

Stop wasting tax dollars on what is basically political and religious asshatery grand standing