Incredibly audacious legal defense

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

can't we just hang him by a meathook through his dick, and into his intestines until he dies?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Patrick Degan wrote:Which considering what happens to kiddie-rapers in prision effectively would be a death sentence.
Don't Americans have 'special' (IE isolated from the mainstream) prisons for sex offenders, to pretty much prevent that kind of result?

I know they have so here. Sex offenders are automatically put into protection units at Port Phillip Prison, and I can only imagine that policy will continue when the new remand centre opens up, and when they get convicted they go to a place called Ararat Prison - a sex offenders jail.

(incidentally I've heard from Americans who were locked up here and some Screws that your jails really suck, the jails down here are picnics in comparison)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Justforfun000 wrote:
You know there are things such as Rape Shield laws that don't allow defense attorneys to bring up past sexual history of a rape victim. If your state doesn't enact such legislation is it the attorney's fault? No. Obviously the state legislature is saying that a woman's past sexual history is fair game or they would have addressed it as the states that have such laws do. We play by the rules we're given.

Really? I wasn't aware of those shield laws. That's a great idea.

They should be adopted as a federal law in my opinion.
Under what provision of the Constitution would such a federal law draw it's authority from? (I realize that in practice Congress just does whatever the hell it wants to, but come on.)
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:The best defense is a good offense - if you can discredit the victim by attacking, which is often also the Primary Witness for the Prosecutor, you are halfway towards winning.
Firstly, that's a cliche and not a very accurate one.
Read the post I made before this one, 6 posts above your last post. Perhaps I should have added a rolling eyes to indiate the sarcasm I was using when I typed this one.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:Read the post I made before this one, 6 posts above your last post. Perhaps I should have added a rolling eyes to indiate the sarcasm I was using when I typed this one.
I'm sorry, there are people who'd make the post you made with an entirely straight face. I'll apologize then for any hostility.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Stofsk wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Which considering what happens to kiddie-rapers in prision effectively would be a death sentence.
Don't Americans have 'special' (IE isolated from the mainstream) prisons for sex offenders, to pretty much prevent that kind of result?

I know they have so here. Sex offenders are automatically put into protection units at Port Phillip Prison, and I can only imagine that policy will continue when the new remand centre opens up, and when they get convicted they go to a place called Ararat Prison - a sex offenders jail.

(incidentally I've heard from Americans who were locked up here and some Screws that your jails really suck, the jails down here are picnics in comparison)
The best they do for them is segregated lockup, in which some offenders are kept isolated from the general population. Effectively it means doing an entire sentence in solitary (with some privileges like visitation).
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)