Japan's rich buy organs from executed Chinese

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Japanese dead don't typically have useable organs to donate. They cremate their dead and put the ashes in shrines that can be visited on important days, traditionally, and I'm pretty sure the body is supposed to be as whole as possible. This is a Buddhist thing. In practical terms, there is not alot of room in Japan for large graveyards.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

You are supposed to grab those organs BEFORE you cremate them.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:You are supposed to grab those organs BEFORE you cremate them.
Yeah, unless you go from the dead, to the mortuary to be put on dry ice to the wake to the temple to the urn.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

AniThyng wrote:
I don't know about the Japanese, but for the Chinese it's superstition about needing the body to be whole in order to have a whole body in the afterlife or somesuch. Donation rates for Malaysian Chinese are also quite low IIRC.
I think I sent an application form to be a donor to the Kiwanis association back when I was 18. Never heard anything for them since. :banghead:
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
kheegan wrote:FORTY donated organs since 1997??? I didn't realise that Japanese culture was so against organ donations.
I'd like to know what is causing this in their culture, because it is quite disgraceful. Where's the honour in keeping your organs to yourself as you go to the grave when others could use them?
I believe it is connected with their definition of death, but I'm not an expert on Japanese culture so I may wrong.

The way it was explained to me was that they don't use brain death as their definition, but rather breathing and heartbeat. So you're not dead until the heart and lungs have permanently stopped working. Unfortunatley, that makes for very poor donor organs. The alternative methods used in the West - maintaining the body on artificial respiration until the organs are removed, then shutting down the machines - could be prosecuted as murder in Japan.

IF I recall the explanation properly.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That's pretty dumb, since there are two definitions of "death" here, only the main one applies to the brain once it has gone 4 minutes or more without oxygen and been irreparably damaged. I guess they'd have let Schiavo live a long time too, since her higher brain functions were kaput, but the autonomics were intact.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Remember, Admiral, that the breathing/heartbeat definition was the original definition of death in many countries, including those in the West. There were a couple of doctors in the US several decades ago who, when first using cadavar organs for transplant, were brought up on murder charges in US courts. In fact, it was those cases that lead to brain death being the US standard rather than heart/lungs. It's not that the Japanese have two definitions of death, it's more they never changed their definition of death.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice