Orange Order march sparks riot in Belfast.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

If only you were more experienced in finding them before they learnt to fly and plough themselves into skyscrapers, then I'd maybe offer praise to your system. Holding these people after the fact is rather useless it seems, and I have no qualms with the SAS or Five and Special Branch shooting to kill any suspects that can't have more information gleaned from themselves.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Lord Pounder wrote:Perinquus just a wee question, have you ever seen an Orange Parade beyond the snippits of the worst parts on the news? When parading in catholic areas Loyalist Flute bands and forbidden from playing any offensive tunes, they are restricted to playing hymns only and a ruling was recently taken that bands are no longer allowed to display paramilitary flags or emblems on their uniforms. Any band who breaks these rules is barred from playing for any marching organisation which included the Apprentice Boys of Derry, the Arch Purple Insitiution and the Royal Black Preceptory. Also any member that gives into his own prejudice and causes offence to the people living in the area of the parade are immediately thrown out of the ranks and later expelled from the Order, something i saw personally on a parade in the Nationalist lower Ormeau Road,

Ignore the fact over 90% or orange parades take place without anyone batting an eyelid it's just those unfortunate ones in North Belfast and Portadown that have become political football for the bickering kids we call our elected representatives. Ignore the fact that there are dozens of parades in the Republic without incident, even ignore the fact that

The History of The Grand Orange Lodge Of Ireland

While I have lost a lot of sympathy for the Order after what I consider inciting riot on Saturday they are not the only ones to blame. It was only a few weeks ago that Nationalists went on the riot and attacked several interface areas because Glasgow Rangers beat Glasgow Celtic, of course that never appears on CNN because god forbid it look like the Catholic Nationalists are biggots too.
Oh I think that the world is well aware of the bigotry from the Catholic, nationalist side. It is not as though the actions of the Provisional IRA hasn't given them plenty of negative publicity in that regard. Of course the nationalist bigots share the blame. Neither side is guiltless by any means. That the Orange order has taken the step of forbidding the most offensive songs while marching through nationalist/Catholic neighborhoods is certainly a step in the right direction, as is the prohibition on loyalist paramilitary emblems and flags. But as you yourself admitted, these are recent steps. It would be far better for the Orangemen to avoid the Catholic neighborhoods altogether.