Bruce Lee a symbol of unity in divided town

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

dr. what
Jedi Master

Bruce Lee a symbol of unity in divided town

Post by dr. what »

SARAJEVO (Reuters) - The ethnically divided Bosnian city of Mostar has agreed to erect a new symbol of unity -- a statue of kung fu legend Bruce Lee, worshipped by Muslims, Serbs and Croats.

A group of enthusiasts came up with the idea of honoring the childhood hero of the city's ethnic groups in 2003, on the 30th anniversary of his death. They launched the project, found donors and waited a year for the city's approval.

"We plan to erect the statue in November in the center of the city," Veselin Gatalo, a member of the Urban Movement organization, told Reuters by telephone Monday.

"This will be a monument to universal justice that Mostar needs more than any other city I know."

He said Mostar, scene of fighting between Muslims and Croats in 1993-1994, needed a symbol of justice, mastery and honesty -- virtues upheld by the late Chinese-American actor.

Born in San Francisco, Lee starred in several kung fu movies, including 1973's "Enter the Dragon." He died at the age of 32 from swelling on the brain.

A German organization agreed last year to sponsor the project with a 5,000 euro grant.

The statue, cast in bronze and showing the martial arts master in a typical fighting pose, will be designed by a local sculptor and put up in central Mostar.

Lee's widow Linda will be invited to attend the ceremony.

For years, reconciliation in post-war Mostar was slower than anywhere else in Bosnia. But the reconstruction of the city's Old Bridge last year has helped reunite Muslim and Croat communities separated by the river.

Link
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Is there anything Bruce Lee can't do? 8)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

It's nice to know in an age of strife, terrorism, and death we can all agree on one thing.

I'm curious as to how kung-fu films got so big in Bosnia of all place. Fucking unreal.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Well, as curious as this is, Lee himself, would no doubt be pleased. He seems to have been a genuine egalitarian. At a time when a great many people in the Asian martial arts community were dead set against teaching those arts to non-Asians, Lee defied tradition by teaching anyone who came to him that sincerely wanted to learn. He received a lot of condemnation for this from the Chinese martial arts community, but he stuck to his principles. Moreover, as a non-white actor working in Hollywood in the 1960s, and a Chinese married to a white woman, he directly experienced racial discrimination on many occasions. No doubt he resented it, and was angered and hurt by it, but he never became embittered by it, which stands to his credit. I think he'd be pleased to see his image used as a symbol for unity and the shedding of ethnic hatreds.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Surreal and wonderful. At any rate this'll make wonderful conversation.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Just like in Shoalin Soccer.

Kung Fu can solve all the world's problems.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

KrauserKrauser wrote:Just like in Shoalin Soccer.

Kung Fu can solve all the world's problems.
But let's not forget, in the Cantonese dialect spoken by Bruce Lee, it is Gung Fu, and that's how he always referred to it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bah; What would Brian Boitano do? 8)
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

I also honestly don't know how kung fu films became so big here and in the neighbouring countries but they are. Just today I saw some Z list hong kong kung fu movie being advertised next to (admitedly low A or B quality) hollywood stuff. Hell, we even have a local Bruce Lee copycat, Bore Lee! :lol:

(Not sure if I should have put the inline images in or just linked, I apologise if I made a mistake)

More seriously, Bosnia has come a long way in resolving it's ethnic tensions in the last ten years. Today, altough there is still a backdrop of ethnic tensions (think US race relations if you want a comparison), the main problems are economic and their horribly overcomplicated, buerocratic, corrupt and overlayered (they have a full cabinet at every level of goverment, from the mayor's office on up) system of goverment which is a product of the Dayton accords which ended the war there and is also IIRC the most expensive both relativly and absolutly per capita in Europe. And, of course, the fact that for now they are essentialy a protectorate of the UN/EU since the High Representative (of the UN/EU) can overrule any decision or institute any policy he wishes. Their political system is, essentialy, a "sandbox" which has no consequences since any bad decisions can be overruled by their overlord(s) ( :P ).
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Even in death... His Kung Fu is strong...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I think I may have just found religion.

When you're in trouble, just ask yourself - WWBLD?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

There was Bruce Lee, who was great, and Bruc Lee, who was not.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Obviously another example of Bruce Lee's power to affect things from beyond the grave. Haven't you guys seen No retreat, no surrender? :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Bruce Lee just bloody well rocks. All must read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Brilliant.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

The ethnically divided Bosnian city of Mostar has agreed to erect a new symbol of unity -- a statue of kung fu legend Bruce Lee, worshipped by Muslims, Serbs and Croats.
Did nobody else thing this was an onion thing from that? I actually clicked the link to make sure it wasn't lying about not pointing at the onion. :D
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."