24 GOP reps ask Speaker to keep ANWR debate out of budget

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Chmee
Sith Marauder

24 GOP reps ask Speaker to keep ANWR debate out of budget

Post by Chmee »

WASHINGTON — Two dozen House Republicans, including freshman Washington state Rep. Dave Reichert and three committee chairmen, have asked Speaker Dennis Hastert not to use a budget procedure to clear the way for oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The letter to Hastert, R-Ill., dated Aug. 4 and made public yesterday, states that the budget process "is an inappropriate venue to be debating this important environmental issue" and warned that it would further complicate already-difficult budget issues.

"We believe the debate on opening this unique land to oil and gas exploration should be done outside the budget process," said the group, led by Rep. Jeb Bradley, R-N.H.

Most Democrats oppose drilling in the refuge's 1.5 million-acre coastal plain because they contend wildlife would be harmed. If a significant number of Republicans join the opposition, it could dash what advocates believe is their best opportunity in years to authorize drilling. Tapping what is believed to be as much as 10 billion barrels of oil in ANWR has been the centerpiece of President Bush's energy agenda since before he entered the White House, but a coalition of Senate Democrats and moderate Republicans has derailed the issue many times through the threat of filibuster. Congress last month pushed through a long-delayed energy bill, in part by not addressing ANWR. Instead, drilling supporters were assured the issue would be taken up separately next month.

House Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo, R-Calif., strongly supports opening ANWR to oil development. A spokeswoman said Pombo had not decided whether to include a provision authorizing oil-lease sales in the Alaska refuge in a so-called budget "reconciliation" document. Under congressional rules, drilling could be authorized if the panel decides to rely on an expected $2.4 billion from potential refuge oil-lease sales to meet budget targets.

Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., has said he will include such a provision as part of that chamber's budget legislation, not subject to filibuster. As a result, the Senate would need only 51 votes for approval, instead of the 60 necessary to stop a filibuster. Such a tactic was successful a decade ago, but President Clinton vetoed the measure.
Link
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Save the mosquitoes!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Joe wrote:Save the mosquitoes!
Jesus, Alaska mosquitoes belong in that Monty Python skit where the Aussies hunt mosquitoes with Cobra gunships .....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Can someone point me to a source that has solid numbers on how much oil is actually in ANWAR? Because that would make the difference as to whether it's a legitimate source for relieving energy dependence on foreign oil or another bone thrown to the oil companies, like that recent holocaust of an energy bill.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

HemlockGrey wrote:Can someone point me to a source that has solid numbers on how much oil is actually in ANWAR? Because that would make the difference as to whether it's a legitimate source for relieving energy dependence on foreign oil or another bone thrown to the oil companies, like that recent holocaust of an energy bill.
It would do both jack *and* shit to reduce dependence on foreign sources, but if we really hustled we might get enough production to actually reduce the growth in our dependence over the next 25 years. It'll have far more affect on a couple companies' stock price than it will ever have on what Americans pay at the pump, or whether we send kids off to get killed in sandy foreign shitholes to keep the black gold flowing.

Operation Freedom Fry