Guard base closures leave NW feeling naked

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Guard base closures leave NW feeling naked

Post by Chmee »

In Oregon, the plan calls for stripping the 142nd Fighter Wing of its 19 F-15 fighters and sending them to bases in New Jersey and Louisiana. Two jets from an as yet undetermined base would be sent to Portland to be on alert status. Otherwise, the nearest fighter base would be in Fresno, Calif., 750 miles away, Air Guard officials say.

"It would leave the Pacific Northwest with a Little League air defense capability," Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, said at a commission field hearing in June.

Consolidating Air Guard stations may be more efficient, but Air Guard officials warn that the plan will cut the military's ties to many communities and hurt the Guard's ability to retain high-caliber reservists.

Maj. Gen. Roger P. Lempke, an Air Force Academy graduate who is the Nebraska adjutant general and president of the Adjutants General Association of the United States, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday that the Pentagon's plan would "set us on a course that will result in a dramatic decline in the Guard."
Full article

Those F-15's were also Washington's closest air cover, so now the air support for the west coast Trident base and 2 carrier battle groups is 1,000 miles south ..... trading 19 F-15's that were 250 miles away for two planes to-be-named-later?

Maybe they expect us to privatize so Gates can buy us some JSF's ....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yup, because you never know when those pesky Vancouver-ites might make a play for the states of Washington and Oregon.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As its been pointed out in the past, Gates could have his own personal nuclear weapons in as little as three years thanks to Micrsoft's pool of talent, its ties to the goverment and know-how. All he needs is material which means buying into an energy company that runs a breeder reactor.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

This has already been posted. And yes, it seems like a really stupid idea. Maybe they'll transfer some F-18s to Widbey Island to compensate, or something?
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: Guard base closures leave NW feeling naked

Post by Uraniun235 »

Chmee wrote:Those F-15's were also Washington's closest air cover, so now the air support for the west coast Trident base and 2 carrier battle groups is 1,000 miles south
Uh, what's the range on modern jet fighters, anyway?
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Chmee wrote:Those F-15's were also Washington's closest air cover, so now the air support for the west coast Trident base and 2 carrier battle groups is 1,000 miles south
Uh, what's the range on modern jet fighters, anyway?
Not much of an issue with in-flight refueling over friendly airspace ... but there's no way those Fresno planes get to Portland or Seattle in under an hour.

As a taxpayer I just find it somewhat annoying that Saudis are so much better protected by F-15's than Americans. I'd like Rumsfeld to get some rectal 'transformation' before we send any more of the NW's air cover to protect an economic powerhouse like Louisiana.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

so what fighters that actually have guns are left after the F-15s leave? What if you have to shoot down another suicide plane headed for downtown Seattle?
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Hawkwings wrote:so what fighters that actually have guns are left after the F-15s leave? What if you have to shoot down another suicide plane headed for downtown Seattle?
Maybe they're depending on Paul Allen to defend us from Arlington ...

Operation Freedom Fry
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Ok, what do you have there that's active or plain reserve? Or is all Oregon have are these ANG fighters?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Chmee wrote: As a taxpayer I just find it somewhat annoying that Saudis are so much better protected by F-15's than Americans. I'd like Rumsfeld to get some rectal 'transformation' before we send any more of the NW's air cover to protect an economic powerhouse like Louisiana.
You know, when the Saudis bought those F-15's, the US placed so many restrictions on where the aircraft could be based that the Saudi Air Force ended up having to buy a number of Tornado F.3 interceptors from the British. These aircraft where then deployed to cover the rather large swath of the country in which F-15's weren't allowed.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

These base closures strike me as a phenominally bad idea when a major city - the nation's largest - like New York hasn't got air cover on alert save from bases in Massachusettes and Virginia.

Also - the F-22 and the carrier-based planes in Washington don't have guns?
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Axis Kast wrote:These base closures strike me as a phenominally bad idea when a major city - the nation's largest - like New York hasn't got air cover on alert save from bases in Massachusettes and Virginia.

What F-22s? And the only part of our carrier wings based here are the electronic warfare planes. I think the rest debark in San Diego for some reason.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Knife wrote:Ok, what do you have there that's active or plain reserve? Or is all Oregon have are these ANG fighters?
Oregon has the 142nd Fighter Wing, based in Portland, and the 173rd Fighter Wing, based in Klamath Falls. This article suggests that the fighters based in Klamath Falls are used primarily for training purposes.

Also from the article:
Under the current system, Air Guard jets from Portland can reach Seattle in 12 minutes, according to a presentation by Maj. Gen. Frank Scoggins, deputy commander of the Washington National Guard. The next closest fighter jets with homeland defense missions are more than an hour away in California, Scoggins said.
Golan III
Padawan Learner

Post by Golan III »

Yes, Klamath Falls is also an F-15 unit, but they primarily train ANG pilots how to fly F-15s - it's a schoolhouse. They don't have the manning, aircraft, parts, funding, etc. to do their regular training mission, AND have aircraft either always in the air or sitting ready-5 alert. You'll notice, Portland's aircraft would be leaving the PNW entirely.

The BRAC closures would also affect the KC-135 tankers at Portland IAP as well - they'd be gone too. So no tankers to refuel Fresno-based fighters as they haul ass up to cover 3 states' worth of real estate & airspace.

There are other ANG fighter unit nearby - the Montana ANG out of Great Falls, MT, flying F-16s...however BRAC would be stripping them of their aircraft as well...also there is the Idaho ANG out of Boise, flying A-10s. While A-10s have a rather tremendous gun that would chew any threat to pieces, they're optimised for air-to-ground and lack any radar capability, and can't get anywhere fast if their lives depended on it - so their ability to rapidly respond is nil.

Theoretically, Portland's F-15 unit could be supplanted by fighters being assigned to either McChord AFB in Tacoma WA, or to NAS Whidbey Island. There are alert shelters for fighters at McChord as well as a substantial airspace-control air defense center. In fact, there used to be fighters stationed at McChord for that very reason, until they were withdrawn during the Clinton years, and the Portland ANG assumed their mission.

Also assigning F-18s to Whidbey wouldn't be that tough; however one has to consider the logistics of the move - uprooting all the personnel, their dependents, and all the necessary support equipment would cost mucho money; and then where would they train? What kind of airspace would they be able to use? They'd need a swath of land to practice their mission (air-to-air and air-to-ground). It could be done, but the problem is it's already set up where they are now, and all of that would have to come up with them. $$$$$$$

I think this entire BRAC scheme is a bad idea.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Axis Kast wrote:These base closures strike me as a phenominally bad idea when a major city - the nation's largest - like New York hasn't got air cover on alert save from bases in Massachusettes and Virginia.

Every aircraft currently in service that the US classifies as a fighter has a gun.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

Every aircraft currently in service that the US classifies as a fighter has a gun.
One good thing that came out of vietnam.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Well, the Cold War's long over, so barring more 9-11 style airplane strikes, the United States probably won't need air cover over that much of its airspace.

Of course, it's safer to have them in principle, but principle is still just principle. I'm guessing the money saved on closing down those bases will be going elsewhere more useful to the current terrorism-oriented style of warfare (hopefully).
Golan III
Padawan Learner

Post by Golan III »

9-11 totally changed the US's outlook on defense. In the past, our forces were arranged looking outward, and with the end of our cold war with the soviet union we arrogantly assumed there was no more threat, so no need to maintain any kind of defensive posture.

We need some way to be able to enforce our airspace, otherwise all we have is the FAA squawking at you over the radio. The US lacks the deep and integrated air defense network and SAM web that so many other countries have. And we can't assume that the chumps in the TSA are always going to stop every possible threat every time...so there needs to be a way to defend ourselves.

The question is, is that defense entirely up to the US Air Force? Could, say, the Coast Guard, or the Immegrations & Customs Enforcement bureau or the Border Patrol be equipped with armed Learjets? That would surely be more cost-effective, though maybe not as operationally effective, as maintaining a systematic patrol routine with fighters.

Personally
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Any interceptor has to be supersonic; otherwise it will have little chance of overtaking a modern airliner. Those things are already capable well past mach .75, and some can surpass mach .9 . I'd be very confident that the costs of setting up a new force to operate armed interceptors would far outweigh simply keeping an extra air force base or two.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Of course, it's safer to have them in principle, but principle is still just principle. I'm guessing the money saved on closing down those bases will be going elsewhere more useful to the current terrorism-oriented style of warfare (hopefully).
That might make sense, but we're still down to bare bones here. After the Gulf War cut-backs, things might have been tollerable. But the constant base closures of the Clinton years and the current Bush administration have really cost us in terms of air coverage. We have a bare handful of fighters to respond to crises in major cities.
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Any interceptor has to be supersonic; otherwise it will have little chance of overtaking a modern airliner. Those things are already capable well past mach .75, and some can surpass mach .9 . I'd be very confident that the costs of setting up a new force to operate armed interceptors would far outweigh simply keeping an extra air force base or two.
It is worth noting that F-22s actually make pretty good interceptors for this sort of scenario. The F-22 can move at least a speed of Mach 1.5 without using afterburners, which means they can do this for a considerable amount of time without running out of fuel, which makes them extremely good interceptors for this type of scenario.

One other thing worth noting is that most airlines are confined to a max speed of .75 or .79 mach at most, including absolutely all the larger civillain ones. (The Concords are all out of service and a terrorist wouldn't be able to fly one even if they go access to it due to their condition at this point. While a smaller business jet modified to carry chemical or biological weapons, or simply completely loaded with explosives might be a real threat, it wouldn't involve a hijacking attempt at this point. Modifying a civillian plane to carry chemical or biological weapons takes considerable time, and even the incompetant TSA screeners should notice terrorists trying to literally load up the plane they are going into with explosives! :lol:

If its a plane the terrorists own being used, the reality is they are very unlikely to get intercepted before hitting their target period. They can simply file a flight plan that goes right over their target and continue toward it until they crash into their target, or unload their chemical or biological weaponry. Washington D.C. is one of the few areas with a large enough no fly area to intercept a plane before it reaches its target. Basically the areas with no fly zones still have fighter bases nearby to intercept if needed.

Just about the only case in which I can see a civilian jet with mach .9 capability actually needed to be intercepted without real advanced warning would be if it was stolen. However civillian jets with this capability are not that common and generally are reasonably well guarded simply due to their financial value and the fear of them getting stolen for that reason. The terrorists not only have to steal it, they have to also bring in their large quantity of explosives and load it in the plane or take even longer to modify it to deploy chemical or biological weapons. This simply isn't that easy to do. On top of all this, the most sensative targets tend to be protected by SAM sites, and terrorists could probably do similar damage to what they can do with their relatively small civillian jet with a large truck carrying explosives, so this seems like an unlikely scenario.

Basically what it comes down to is I just don't see that much of a need for the Pacific Northwest to have immediately available air cover at the moment. This makes me suspicious that many of the people behind this protest are worried about the loss of jobs from the airbase closure rather than real miltiary need.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Shinova wrote:Of course, it's safer to have them in principle, but principle is still just principle. I'm guessing the money saved on closing down those bases will be going elsewhere more useful to the current terrorism-oriented style of warfare (hopefully).
Hah! Not with this administration!
Golan III wrote:We need some way to be able to enforce our airspace, otherwise all we have is the FAA squawking at you over the radio. The US lacks the deep and integrated air defense network and SAM web that so many other countries have. And we can't assume that the chumps in the TSA are always going to stop every possible threat every time...so there needs to be a way to defend ourselves.
Sure, shoot the planes out of the sky - and where will they land? This isn't the movies, where exploding airplanes simply dissolve into vapor. You're going to get flaming pieces coming down somewhere.

Stopping the bad guys from getting into the aircraft in the first place is the better course, but of course, we'll need a last-ditch defense. I mean, if you have to do a shoot down, yeah, you have to. But do keep in mind that a fully loaded, explosive laden large jet shot down over an urban area may well do as much damage as flaming wreckage as crashing into a skyscraper.
The question is, is that defense entirely up to the US Air Force? Could, say, the Coast Guard, or the Immegrations & Customs Enforcement bureau or the Border Patrol be equipped with armed Learjets? That would surely be more cost-effective, though maybe not as operationally effective, as maintaining a systematic patrol routine with fighters.
At present, Customs is doing the majority of intercept work in the Washington DC-Baltimore ADIZ using Blackhawk helicoptors and a couple of Lear jets. The Coast Guard will be taking over from them on October 1 of this year. Just announced last week.

There is NOT a "systematic patrol" of fighters over DC, and hasn't been since, IIRC, December of 2001 when it became apparent there were not enough planes, pilots, and spare parts to maintain such a patrol. The fighters are called in only when the intercepted plane does not respond to the Customs intercept instructions. Since most of the 3,000+ incursions into the DC -Baltimore ADIZ have been unintentional and just on the margins, there isn't really a need to call in the big guns on most of those cases.
Sea Skimmer wrote:Any interceptor has to be supersonic; otherwise it will have little chance of overtaking a modern airliner.
Except that trans-sonic capable airplanes can't fly slow enough to intercept small general aviation aircraft. Which is why the DC no-fly zone uses Blackhawks to intercept the small aircraft.
Those things are already capable well past mach .75, and some can surpass mach .9 .
Those are level flight limitations - just about any passenger airliner is capable of exceeding Mach 1. You just have to start at around 30,000 and let gravity assist your descent. If the bad guys don't care about personal survival (and apparently they don't) it could be one hell of a race.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Omega18 wrote:One other thing worth noting is that most airlines are confined to a max speed of .75 or .79 mach at most, including absolutely all the larger civillain ones. (The Concords are all out of service and a terrorist wouldn't be able to fly one even if they go access to it due to their condition at this point.
Again, that's a limitation of level flight. Most civilian passenger jets could break Mach 1 in a powered descent, and quite a few of the high-end business jets like Lears and Gulfstreams could as well. I'm not sure how well the machines would survive the experience but hey, if you intend to fly a suicide mission anyway, who the hell cares?
While a smaller business jet modified to carry chemical or biological weapons, or simply completely loaded with explosives might be a real threat, it wouldn't involve a hijacking attempt at this point.
Nope. With sufficient money you can just buy such an aircraft.

Besides which, a fully fueled airplane of any size is, essentially, "loaded with explosives". I'm not sure a cargo of C-4 would be appreciably worse than loading barrels of jet fuel into a cargo bay anyhow, and jet fuel is more readily available at an airport anyway - it attracts no suspicion for a jet operator to request a truckload.
Modifying a civillian plane to carry chemical or biological weapons takes considerable time, and even the incompetant TSA screeners should notice terrorists trying to literally load up the plane they are going into with explosives! :lol:
Couple points here:

First of all, the utility of any aircraft for delivering either chemical or biological agents is questionable. As far as I know, no one has ever done it (although if you do know of such an instance please speak up - I'd be interested). Crop dusters certainly do spread chemicals - although they do it just a few feet off the ground with limited areas of impact. Which is why there are much more stringent rules for securing agricultural airplanes than there used to be - these are airplanes designed to spread chemicals. But it's a lot different spraying 500 acres of cropland vs. downtown Manhattan, as an example. If you can't fit the airplane between the buildings at a low level - and that would be difficult between clearance requirements, street lights, etc. - then dispersing chemicals at a higher altitude is going to require a LOT more of the offending substance because the dispersal will be much, much greater. It will be much harder to get a lethal or "merely" harmful concentration at ground level.

Second, TSA screening does not exist at all airports. As it is, the TSA is finding it very difficult to adequately staff the 30-40 passenger hubs. It has nowhere near the resources to have on-duty staff at the 5,000+ designated landing areas in the US. Which is why the small-scale airports rely on the local pilots to keep an eye out for trouble and report it it directly to the authorities. Mostly, this has involved TV reporters setting out to prove how "easy" it is to do naughty stuff at small airport and ended up with said reporters in Federal custody, although some genuine criminal activity has been stopped by this. It's not "kewl", it's not high tech, it doesn't involve badges or other fancy shit but the small scale pilots know damn well that if something nasty DID start at their field they'd be shut down, the innocent with the guilty, so if they want to continue flying (and they do) there's a definite incentive to help out Homeland Security.
If its a plane the terrorists own being used, the reality is they are very unlikely to get intercepted before hitting their target period. They can simply file a flight plan that goes right over their target and continue toward it until they crash into their target, or unload their chemical or biological weaponry.
Actually, flight plans are not always required in the US.
Washington D.C. is one of the few areas with a large enough no fly area to intercept a plane before it reaches its target.
No, it's not.

They couldn't stop a Cessna 150 from nearly overflying the White House - and that's one of the smallest, slowest airplanes around. Of course, a C150 isn't much of a threat either. Instead of evacuating everyone to out of doors they should have herded them into a basement. I mean, I know guys who own motorcycles heavier than a C150

I suppose if we just summarially executed anyone who entered the ADIZ without proper authorization, shot them down on the fringe of the urban areas to minimize damage, that could work, but there is still great reluctance to shoot down innocent civilians. And it's not just small airplanes - passenger jets have violated that no-fly zone, too. We're just not paranoid/threatened enough to start downing as an automatic first response.
Basically the areas with no fly zones still have fighter bases nearby to intercept if needed.
I don't think you realize just how many "no fly zones" have been put up since 9/11. They're in every state.
Just about the only case in which I can see a civilian jet with mach .9 capability actually needed to be intercepted without real advanced warning would be if it was stolen. However civillian jets with this capability are not that common and generally are reasonably well guarded simply due to their financial value and the fear of them getting stolen for that reason.
There's actually several thousand, at least, world-wide and since such jets can easily cross even the Pacific (with a couple refueling stops) there's not even a need to steal one in North America. If a group was determined to obtain such a jet they certainly could do so.
The terrorists not only have to steal it, they have to also bring in their large quantity of explosives and load it in the plane or take even longer to modify it to deploy chemical or biological weapons. This simply isn't that easy to do.
All they have to do is either load/modify the airplane outside the US, or take it to a private/secluded airstrip in the US to do this work. You could even build such a strip without too much difficulty in a remote area, and the US still has plenty of them - as does Canada and Mexico. If you fly in and out in the daytime in good weather you won't need elaborate lighting or landing systems.

Of course, the Feds know all this - which is why small airports get unscheduled visits, and they want to know that there's nothing shady going on inside hangars.
terrorists could probably do similar damage to what they can do with their relatively small civillian jet with a large truck carrying explosives, so this seems like an unlikely scenario.
I think this is an important point - truck bombs can do just as much damage, and it's far easier to load a Ryder rental truck with explosive and park it outside a Federal building as Jeffrey Dahmer did, than to obtain an airplane with sufficient capacity to deliver an equal amount of explosive AND a pilot willing to die for the cause. Because, unlike a truck, you can't just park an airplane on the road outside a building in a major city and simply walk away from it unnoticed.

And I do believe that's why we see a hell of a lot more car and truck bombs than airplane bombs. Cars and trucks - hell, idiots with backpacks - are much more efficient means of delivering destruction.
Basically what it comes down to is I just don't see that much of a need for the Pacific Northwest to have immediately available air cover at the moment. This makes me suspicious that many of the people behind this protest are worried about the loss of jobs from the airbase closure rather than real miltiary need.
It's hard to fault people who want to protect their livelihood. I mean, you can understand why they're motivated to use any argument they can find.

But, you know - an F-16 might not be the best interceptor for civilian aircraft. Those fighters were designed to fight other military hardware, not to intercept and control civilian traffic. I don't know - mounting guns on a Learjet might in fact make more sense, especially if a Lear costs less to operate and maintain, but can still do the job effectively. Using an F-whatever to intercept small civilian aircraft is a lot like using a tank to direct traffic.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:
Modifying a civillian plane to carry chemical or biological weapons takes considerable time, and even the incompetant TSA screeners should notice terrorists trying to literally load up the plane they are going into with explosives! :lol:
Couple points here:

First of all, the utility of any aircraft for delivering either chemical or biological agents is questionable. As far as I know, no one has ever done it (although if you do know of such an instance please speak up - I'd be interested). Crop dusters certainly do spread chemicals - although they do it just a few feet off the ground with limited areas of impact. Which is why there are much more stringent rules for securing agricultural airplanes than there used to be - these are airplanes designed to spread chemicals. But it's a lot different spraying 500 acres of cropland vs.
downtown Manhattan, as an example. If you can't fit the airplane between the buildings at a low level - and that would be difficult between clearance requirements, street lights, etc. - then dispersing chemicals at a higher altitude is going to require a LOT more of the offending substance because the dispersal will be much, much greater. It will be much harder to get a lethal or "merely" harmful concentration at ground level.
A note on this, there exists a varity of deadly posions and gases which don't need you to be soaking wet to contract them(In your cropdusting example)
Specific federal studies on what a cropduster would do if convert to spray anthrax for example are to my knowledge still classified(60 mins tried to get ahold of them a few years ago have not heard of them since)

On the flip side of that as it's been pointed out, a gas or bioligical attack via plane would be more psychological than effective.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mr Bean wrote:Specific federal studies on what a cropduster would do if convert to spray anthrax for example are to my knowledge still classified(60 mins tried to get ahold of them a few years ago have not heard of them since)
Cropdusters can spray particulate solids as well as liquids - hence the term cropduster rather than cropsprayer.

Although predictions of mass death from an anthrax distribution didn't match reality - if they had, the death toll from the postal anthrax problem would have been much higher than it actually was. Not to minimize either the deaths or the lingering morbidity of those victims who actually suffered active anthrax infections. Perhaps it was the prophylactic distribution of appropriate antibiotic that minimized the negative effects. If that is the case, then the high visibility of an aerial spraying of anthrax spores, or early detection of other distribution of that agent, would alert authorities and lead to a prompt (one would hope) distribution of antiobiotics.

In which case it would not be the death toll and illness, but rather the inconveneince and psychological effects that would be the primary effects.