The dogs of war

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Chmee
Sith Marauder

The dogs of war

Post by Chmee »

Servants -- and Weapons -- of War

U.S. forces rely on dogs to detect bombs in Iraq. Insurgents rig them with explosives.
By Borzou Daragahi
Times Staff Writer

August 10, 2005

BAGHDAD — These are the dogs of war.

At a checkpoint leading to the U.S.-protected Green Zone, Gordy stands sentry. The affable Belgian Malinois has a nose finely tuned to detect the nitrates, plastic explosives, gunpowder and detonation cords that suicide bombers use to blow up people.

On a barren stretch of road in northern Iraq, a dog rigged with explosives approaches a group of Iraqi police officers. Detonated by remote control, the bomb tears the dog apart but doesn't harm the cops.

In a war where the line between civilian and soldier is blurred, even man's best friend has been caught up in the combat. U.S. forces hail their trained dogs as heroes, but to insurgents, canines provide the means for a more sinister goal.

Iraqi police cite the recent use of dogs rigged with explosive devices in Latifiya, just south of Baghdad, in Baqubah in central Iraq and in and around the northern city of Kirkuk.

Some Iraqis are horrified by the ethics of dragging the animal world into a human conflict.

"How can they use these lovely pets for criminal and murderous acts?" asked Rasha Khairir, 25, an employee of a Baghdad stock brokerage. "A poor dog can't refuse what they are doing with him because he can't think and decide."

Despite a common prejudice in the Muslim world against dogs, which are considered unclean, even the most virulent clerical opponents of the U.S. presence in Iraq have decried the use of canines as proxies in the war.

Abdel Salam Kubaisi, a spokesman for the Muslim Scholars Assn., a hard-line Sunni Arab clerical organization sympathetic to insurgents, called the practice un-Islamic. "Our religion does not permit us to hurt animals," he said, "neither by using them as explosive devices nor in any other manner."

U.S. troops extol the virtues of their canine allies in the war against the insurgents.

"Dogs are vital in Iraqi counterinsurgency efforts," said Staff Sgt. Ann Pitt, 35, of Buffalo, N.Y., a U.S. Army dog handler based near the southern city of Nasiriya.

"We have many items to help us do our mission, but I don't think we have a better detection tool than a dog," said Pitt, who cares for Buddy, another Belgian Malinois, a dog similar to a German shepherd. "These dogs are amazing. They are more dependable and effective than almost anything we have available to us."

The Army has deployed dogs since World War I to locate trip wires, track enemies, stand guard at base perimeters and search tunnels for explosives or booby traps.

Even these dogs weren't always treated kindly. Of 4,300 dogs sent to Vietnam, 2,000 were handed over to the South Vietnamese army and 2,000 were put to sleep. Only 200 managed to make it home, said Ron Aiello, Vietnam War-era dog handler who runs U.S. War Dog, a 1,100-member Burlington, N.J., organization.

His group set up a website, http://www.uswardogs.org , to raise funds for a memorial to honor the dogs and their handlers.

In Iraq, dogs like Gordy and Buddy are posted at checkpoints and at entrances to government buildings.

They sniff for explosives among reporters' equipment at news conferences and passengers' bags at Baghdad's international airport.

"What we do is prevent people from getting killed," said Artwell Chibero, Gordy's 29-year-old Zimbabwean handler, an employee of a private security firm hired by the Defense Department.

Dogs have 25 times more smell receptors than humans, Pitt said.

"We smell spaghetti sauce and we think, 'Oh, the spaghetti sauce smells good,' " Pitt said. "To a dog, they would smell the tomatoes, the onions, the basil, oregano. They smell all the odors individually."

Insurgents have long stuffed roadside bombs into the carcasses of animals. But Iraqi security officials say they increasingly worry about the use of live animals.

"Dogs have been used in many areas by insurgents throughout Iraq" to carry explosive devices, said Noori Noori, inspector-general at the Interior Ministry. "They used mentally retarded people for operations during the elections, so why wouldn't they use animals?"

Last year in Ramadi, in the vast desert west of the capital, insurgents dispatched a booby-trapped donkey toward a U.S.-run checkpoint around sunset. "As one of the soldiers tried to stop it, the donkey exploded," said resident Mohammed Yas, 45. The only casualty was the donkey.

"Before, they used to use car bombs. Now they are using people and animals," said Col. Adnan Jaboori, a spokesman for the interior minister. "They are finding new ways to use remote-control technology."

The daily newspaper Al Mada recently published an editorial cartoon showing an insurgent who strongly resembled Saddam Hussein trying to persuade a dog to strap on a belt bomb to advance the cause of the Baath Party, which once ruled Iraq.

"It is such a simple task," the insurgent tells the terrified dog. "All you have to do is to put on this explosives belt, repeat the party's slogans, and may Allah have mercy on your father's soul!"
Link

Geez, just when I'm ready to mutter about the asshole motherfuckers who would blow up dogs, I have to read about us killing ours in Nam instead of bringing them home .... what a downer.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Military dogs are working dogs, I damn fine respect for them and their handlers.

I'm also freken jelous that I don't get a "free" dog with my job.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Dogs have always had a paw in our wars, just like they have in virtually all human endeavors, since we started doing "endeavors". I hope that guy does raise the money to honor our war dogs.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The US is one country that has been using dogs extensively in combat for a long time. In the World Wars the Germans hated them. The Koreans couldn't stand the dogs. VC in Vietnam would yell "Yankee, go home and take your dog with you". Its criminal what the US did with its dogs in Vietnam. It considered them equipment and instructed the soldiers to abandon the Dogs.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

I dunno. Honoring our war dogs would be kind've like having a proper burial ceremony. Let's face it, the guy's dead; he doesn't know if you stuffed his body in a toilet or if you cremated like he asked. Similarly, dogs who return home don't have a major grasp of what they really did. It was just following orders in a kinda scary place for them.

Ultimately, it makes us feel better more than the dogs/dead guy.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

On a barren stretch of road in northern Iraq, a dog rigged with explosives approaches a group of Iraqi police officers. Detonated by remote control, the bomb tears the dog apart but doesn't harm the cops.
:x :cry: Comparing between the US and the Iraqi approach, I'd much rather the dogs die through the more humane method of putting them to sleep versus blowing them to smithereens.

An inhuman turn in this war. And they were using retarded people, too? :shock:
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Its criminal what the US did with its dogs in Vietnam. It considered them equipment and instructed the soldiers to abandon the Dogs.
As I understand it, you can't take it home because quarantine would freak. Australian soldiers in Palestine faced a similar problem: give their beloved walers to the Arab peasentry where they'd face a lifetime of backbreaking work, malnutrition and mistreatment, or shoot them. Most chose the second option. In the end, only one horse went home: General Chavel's, and it spent ages in quarantine. The same deal happened with dogs in Vietnam: had to be left to the peasents. You probably won't be able to get it in the states, but there was an excellent book released in Australia called (funnily enough) Dogs of War about a tracker team with the RAR in Vietnam.

I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Didn't the russians use boobytrapped dogs during WW2 as well?
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Julhelm wrote:Didn't the russians use boobytrapped dogs during WW2 as well?
Yes, the notorious anti-tank dogs with mines strapped to their backs. They were trained to run under the belly plates of tanks and lie down. Led to the Germans shooting every canine they saw.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Officially, damn. And thank gosh for programs to find dogs safe homes.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Also remember what the US did in WWII when they decided that horses were obsolete. The Texas Cav. shot them all.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Until relatively recently, all US military dogs where destroyed when they got too old to work, it wasn't thought that they could be retrained to live civilian lives. Now some dogs are retrained, but most still end up being put down.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Let's not forget, aside from dogs and horse, pigeons were used, and dolphins and sea lions as well. The dolphins and sea lions are apparently still being used.
Everyone is familiar with security patrol dogs. You may even know that because of their exceptionally keen sense of smell, dogs like beagles are also used to detect drugs and bombs, or land mines. But a dog would not be effective in finding a sea mine. Sea mines are sophisticated, expensive weapons that are designed to work in the ocean where they can sink ships, destroy landing craft, and kill or injure personnel. Sea mines are made so that they cannot be set off easily by wave action or marine animals growing on or bumping into them. If undetected, sea mines can be deadly, destructive weapons. But just as the dog's keen sense of smell makes it ideal for detecting land mines, the U.S. Navy has found that the biological sonar of dolphins, called echolocation, makes them uniquely effective at locating sea mines so they can be avoided or removed. Other marine mammals like the California sea lion also have demonstrated the ability to mark and retrieve objects for the Navy in the ocean. In fact, marine mammals are so important to the Navy that there is an entire program dedicated to studying, training, and deploying them. It is appropriately called the Navy Marine Mammal Program (NMMP).
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Anybody know if dogs in the US military can have rank? I seem to remember reading an article about "Colonel Cubby", a US Military great dane that sniffed for mines.

Also, I love the dogs they use in airports to sniff for food. Little cuddly beagles and pekinese dogs, anything that doesn't look scary.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I would expect that was simply a nickname for the dog, since having a colonel in canine form would be quite interesting if he could command a major who was human.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Actually, What They Didn't Teach You About World War II had some interesting dog stories, including instances of WWII dogs earning medals.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Anybody know if dogs in the US military can have rank? I seem to remember reading an article about "Colonel Cubby", a US Military great dane that sniffed for mines.
Nickname only, working dogs are working dogs and age only matters in heath exams.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Mr Bean wrote:Nickname only, working dogs are working dogs and age only matters in heath exams.
Actually, I've heard of some military units in our history that had dogs given ranks specifically so their unit would get an extra mans supplies when they were sent to them. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I would expect that was simply a nickname for the dog, since having a colonel in canine form would be quite interesting if he could command a major who was human.
Fetch human, I'm the Alpha of this pack.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Maku
Youngling

Post by Maku »

Alyeska wrote:The US is one country that has been using dogs extensively in combat for a long time. In the World Wars the Germans hated them. The Koreans couldn't stand the dogs. VC in Vietnam would yell "Yankee, go home and take your dog with you". Its criminal what the US did with its dogs in Vietnam. It considered them equipment and instructed the soldiers to abandon the Dogs.
Yeah the VC really hated the dogs because they, unlike US conscripts, could track them through the jungles. However, the VC eventually figures out that they could sometimes defeat the dogs by stealing US Army-issue soap and washing with it before going out on patrol.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I would expect that was simply a nickname for the dog, since having a colonel in canine form would be quite interesting if he could command a major who was human.
Well...... the dog welfare is of considerably more importance than the humans in my Provost dog unit. That's why there is a running joke about why we must call all dogs sir.

Something about how only major and above gets assistants to feed them, clothe them and do all their chores........:D:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner