An important announcement for y'all

If you're having trouble signing on or you just want to do some testing, go here. Also the place for all disposable threads.
Note: posts are auto-deleted daily.

Moderator: Moderators

muse
Jedi Council Member

An important announcement for y'all

Post by muse » 2018-10-03 06:23pm

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok

KraytKing
Padawan Learner

Re: An important announcement for y'all

Post by KraytKing » 2018-10-03 06:37pm

I find this offensive. I regularly fantasize about Coca-Cola machines.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.

--Solauren

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-10-04 01:48am

The talking ones?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-10-04 08:42am

Vending machines generally do not not offend me, and are not necessarily used only by my fellow adults.

muse, are you sure you're okay? I will drive to Canukistan and as us boys say do ya a fayva...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe » 2018-10-04 09:15am

I will drive to Canukistan and as us boys say do ya a fayva...
bruh.
Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp! Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-10-04 10:59am

Surlethe wrote:
2018-10-04 09:15am
\bruh.
It was a joke either way, but I didn't mean that kind of fayva.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

The Infidel
Jedi Knight

Post by The Infidel » 2018-10-04 04:06pm

Nah! Human boobs are a sex thingy, too. Look at the great apes, they have boobs like wet mittens and they give milk. Boobs don't have to be these big, sexy, nice funbags just to feed a baby. They are to attract men, to be a sexual signal from the front, and we men just love boobs. The apes are all ass men, they don't care about boobs or wet mittens, at least according to Desmond Morris.
It is very difficult to believe in a god when some people are never struck by lightning. -Calvin

"The world language is English as spoken by foreigners." -Kristen Nygaard

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse » 2018-10-05 02:06am

According to the doctor, y'all need psychological help

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok

The Infidel
Jedi Knight

Post by The Infidel » 2018-10-05 02:39am

muse wrote:
2018-10-05 02:06am
What about lesbians who love boobs?
It is very difficult to believe in a god when some people are never struck by lightning. -Calvin

"The world language is English as spoken by foreigners." -Kristen Nygaard

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-10-05 09:30am

muse wrote:
I'm Raw Shark, and I endorse this message.

Which incarnation? I'm pretty sure that #7 and I are right on the same page, and #4 would probably at least laugh at my dumb jokes. The rest would probably do me some dirt, given the opportunity and- aw fuck, time travel. I'm already dead..

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle » 2018-10-05 09:37pm

muse wrote:
Resident biologist in the room. Sexual selection on secondary sex characteristics is a thing. Also, I have no interest in boobs, and thus don't need psychological help. QED.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma » 2018-10-05 10:34pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
2018-10-05 09:37pm
muse wrote:
Resident biologist in the room. Sexual selection on secondary sex characteristics is a thing. Also, I have no interest in boobs, and thus don't need psychological help. QED.
What about moobs?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle » 2018-10-05 11:49pm

Enigma wrote:
2018-10-05 10:34pm
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
muse wrote:
What about moobs?
That kinda depends. There aren't many good empirical studies about the sexual preferences of gay and bisexual men, save for a few that have studied MHC detection through olfaction...
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl » 2018-10-06 12:47am

We (and I speak for heterosexual men here) are hardwired to like large breasts, or at least breasts above a minimal size. Why? Because large breasts tend to get a little saggy when their owner gets on in years, so if you see a woman with boobs and they aren't very saggy then she's young and probably fertile. It's also why we prefer blondes (since blonde hair tends to get darker with age).

It's all about the baby-making.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-10-06 03:18am

SCRawl wrote:
2018-10-06 12:47am
It's also why we prefer blondes (since blonde hair tends to get darker with age).It's all about the baby-making.
I've only rarely engaged in baby-making type activities with blondes, probably because 1) I don't especially want to make any babies, and 2) it reminds me of my Mom in a way that detracts from the mood a bit because, despite some appearances, I'm not a complete pervert. The exceptions to this have mostly been notable enough in the boob and/or chemistry departments to overrule those things, but it's a distinct trend.

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse » 2018-10-06 05:57pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
SCRawl wrote:
We (and I speak for heterosexual men here) are hardwired to like large breasts, or at least breasts above a minimal size. Why? Because large breasts tend to get a little saggy when their owner gets on in years, so if you see a woman with boobs and they aren't very saggy then she's young and probably fertile. It's also why we prefer blondes (since blonde hair tends to get darker with age).

Why must you ruin my fun with facts? Killjoys.

- Havok

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-10-06 06:46pm

Because this is SDN?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown » 2018-10-06 07:09pm

SCRawl wrote:

I'm curious to see some good studies backing this up. I've heard it postulated, but I haven't encountered any real evidence beyond the navel-gazing I've come to find typical of evo-psych. Honestly, I'm not sure how this could even be falsified. Which sorta makes it fall outside the realm of actual science.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle » 2018-10-06 09:04pm

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
2018-10-06 07:09pm
SCRawl wrote:

I'm curious to see some good studies backing this up. I've heard it postulated, but I haven't encountered any real evidence beyond the navel-gazing I've come to find typical of evo-psych. Honestly, I'm not sure how this could even be falsified. Which sorta makes it fall outside the realm of actual science.
Oh, there are ways to falsify it, they're just not ethical to perform with people. The takehome is that sexual selection exists. It exists in people. And it is also culturally mediated to some extent.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown » 2018-10-06 09:17pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
2018-10-06 09:04pm
SCRawl wrote:

Oh, there are ways to falsify it, they're just not ethical to perform with people. The takehome is that sexual selection exists. It exists in people. And it is also culturally mediated to some extent.
I'm specifically curious about studies backing up the "big tits and blonde hair" claim. I hadn't thought of the immoral/unethical ways to try falsifying the big tit theory.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless » 2018-10-06 10:04pm

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:I'm curious to see some good studies backing this up. I've heard it postulated, but I haven't encountered any real evidence beyond the navel-gazing I've come to find typical of evo-psych. Honestly, I'm not sure how this could even be falsified. Which sorta makes it fall outside the realm of actual science.
I'm specifically curious about studies backing up the "big tits and blonde hair" claim. I hadn't thought of the immoral/unethical ways to try falsifying the big tit theory.
The take home was that you were not wrong, it is naval gazing, like, 99% of the time. Plus in psychology, if there is no ethical way to falsify a hypothesis it means the unethical way is actually not going to work either. Since your subjects are human, if they find the researchers to be weird, creepy, or find something fundamentally wrong about the way the research is being conducted, their behavior correspondingly changes and you learn nothing about their normal thoughts and behavior. So, yeah, most Evo-Psych claims are bullshit, including the ones you are hearing right now. Some cultures (especially in parts of Africa IIRC) look at female breasts like we in the west look at toenails: you have them, you even need them, but no one finds them particularly sexy. On the other hand, they can sometimes outright fetishize things that we in the west find profoundly strange, like lips. Ever seen those pictures of women whose lips have been stretched out in their childhoods? Yeah, that's the idea of sexy in that culture.

I mean, yeah there is obviously sexual selection in the wild, but besides the obvious things like peacock feathers, its really fucking hard to tell when that is the explanation, as opposed to something else. Is it sexual selection, selection based on structural necessity, ecological, or not selected at all (as is the case with cultural phenomena)? Its always hard to say, and sexual selection unfortunately is an easy cop-out. Actually, most explanations are cop-outs in Evo-Psych. Its just really easy to structure a hypothesis in evolutionary theory in terms of a story, and because the human mind loves a good story we give those hypotheses more weight than they are actually due. Hence all the lazy naval gazing. Its like mythology for biologists. Most actual researchers would like to first figure out how the mind works before we start explaining the origins of its features. Because as it stands, we don't even know why why we bloody sleep! What is your brain doing when it sleeps? We don't know. Hell, we think that even some jellyfish sleep and we have no idea why. Given such an incomplete description of the human mind, evo-psych can't really be called a proper research program yet. There are too many unknown unknowns about the mind for most explanations to be properly tested.

Oh, and not that it matters, but most psychologists aren't really Popperians, we're Pragmatists and we use statistical tools to analyze our theories and hypotheses thank you very much.

By the by, breasts are neat. Trust me, you men and lesbians don't need help. Now, if you can't get an erection without rubbing balloons over a woman's tits first, then you have a problem. Man, that class in sex psychology was fun!
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl » 2018-10-06 10:26pm

2018-10-06 09:17pm
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
2018-10-06 09:04pm

To the best of my knowledge it's no more than a well-considered theory. It fits the facts, but it would be difficult to design a practical experiment which would validate (or invalidate) it.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle » 2018-10-06 11:16pm

Formless wrote:
2018-10-06 10:04pm
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
The take home was that you were not wrong, it is naval gazing, like, 99% of the time. Plus in psychology, if there is no ethical way to falsify a hypothesis it means the unethical way is actually not going to work either. Since your subjects are human, if they find the researchers to be weird, creepy, or find something fundamentally wrong about the way the research is being conducted, their behavior correspondingly changes and you learn nothing about their normal thoughts and behavior. So, yeah, most Evo-Psych claims are bullshit, including the ones you are hearing right now. Some cultures (especially in parts of Africa IIRC) look at female breasts like we in the west look at toenails: you have them, you even need them, but no one finds them particularly sexy. On the other hand, they can sometimes outright fetishize things that we in the west find profoundly strange, like lips. Ever seen those pictures of women whose lips have been stretched out in their childhoods? Yeah, that's the idea of sexy in that culture.

I mean, yeah there is obviously sexual selection in the wild, but besides the obvious things like peacock feathers, its really fucking hard to tell when that is the explanation, as opposed to something else. Is it sexual selection, selection based on structural necessity, ecological, or not selected at all (as is the case with cultural phenomena)? Its always hard to say, and sexual selection unfortunately is an easy cop-out. Actually, most explanations are cop-outs in Evo-Psych. Its just really easy to structure a hypothesis in evolutionary theory in terms of a story, and because the human mind loves a good story we give those hypotheses more weight than they are actually due. Hence all the lazy naval gazing. Its like mythology for biologists. Most actual researchers would like to first figure out how the mind works before we start explaining the origins of its features. Because as it stands, we don't even know why why we bloody sleep! What is your brain doing when it sleeps? We don't know. Hell, we think that even some jellyfish sleep and we have no idea why. Given such an incomplete description of the human mind, evo-psych can't really be called a proper research program yet. There are too many unknown unknowns about the mind for most explanations to be properly tested.

Oh, and not that it matters, but most psychologists aren't really Popperians, we're Pragmatists and we use statistical tools to analyze our theories and hypotheses thank you very much.

By the by, breasts are neat. Trust me, you men and lesbians don't need help. Now, if you can't get an erection without rubbing balloons over a woman's tits first, then you have a problem. Man, that class in sex psychology was fun!
Basically this. There are only a few *very* broad things in evo-psych that can both be tested, and have withstood said testing. For example, pretty much every study ever done has found that humans are attracted to facial symmetry, and certain body proportions. Also certain olfactory cues. These are easy to test. You can construct images and have people rate attractiveness. You can have people smell sweaty T shirts and have people rank them by sexiness and then chemically analyze the BO... these days you can actually do observational studies of not just socially monogamous or polygamous societies, but polyamorous relationships, in order to see if polygamy threshold models hold true.

But trying to create some sort of story about why people are attracted to any given secondary sex characteristic? Noooo. Those are way the fuck too culturally mediated

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep
Location: What's the bonus for shooting bad guys from behind?

Post by Elfdart » 2018-10-07 01:55am

The Infidel wrote:
2018-10-05 02:39am
muse wrote:
What about lesbians who love boobs?
Or men who love lesbians' boobs?
SCRawl wrote:

In my book, in order to qualify as boobs, they have to be at least a full C-cup for a gal of average height. Calling the very small ones boobs is as misplaced as calling the big ones (full C or bigger) titties. Yes I spend way too much time thinking about this and the good doctor is probably right -except I'm beyond help when it comes to boobs.

And don't get me started on the hips and the ass.
"The actual smallest viable human unit is Jordan Peterson’s dick"

----Allen Ventano

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-10-07 02:26am

Do we have any firsthand experience with the relative quality of hugely-stretched lip blowjobs? And that neck ring thing? Not that it would relate to reproduction at all, but fuck having more babies anyway (okay, that didn't come out the way I meant) and inquiring minds want to know...