Can someone tl;dr the last six years here

If you're having trouble signing on or you just want to do some testing, go here. Also the place for all disposable threads.
Note: posts are auto-deleted daily.

Moderator: Moderators

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Can someone tl;dr the last six years here

Postby Raw Shark » 2017-05-18 11:16pm

Aleister Crowley wrote:
Flagg wrote:Can I jerk off this time? :mrgreen:

A man after my own heart.

Yeah, Flagg's actually pretty okay. Y'know, despite appearances. ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Postby InsaneTD » 2017-05-19 01:45am

Aleister Crowley wrote:
Flagg wrote:Can I jerk off this time? :mrgreen:

A man after my own heart.

We'd be good lovers.

Or something.

I think I fixed that for you.

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Postby Guardsman Bass » 2017-05-19 01:52am

Man, I remember DestructionatorXIII getting erased, and that was weird. Not that he was particularly interesting to have around at that point, but erasing him also wiped out all the good posts that he'd written about space colonies.

I can't believe it's been 8 years since the Senate was shut down. It doesn't feel that long ago - maybe it's because it feels like my life hasn't changed much in the time since then *sigh*.

I remember Stuart! I do not remember if any of his military stuff was on the level - I had no way to judge, although I remember the Nuke-fics were a bit odd (there was a long and good thread about some of the issues with them).

RedImperator and Surlethe both largely left, which makes me a bit sad.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Postby Napoleon the Clown » 2017-05-19 02:42pm

Surlethe was back, a while ago. Not sure if he stuck around, but as I recall he said he was pretty fucking busy and that was a factor in why he left for so long.

Oh, there were some flame wars over political shit but that's nothing particularly new.
Created by Instant Sunrise.

U.P. Cinnabar
Jedi Council Member

Postby U.P. Cinnabar » 2017-05-19 02:51pm

Zaune wrote:Nah, that's Spacebattles. And/or HPCA, from which he actually got banned instead of leaving in a huff.

That explains some of his references in the stew of Europhobic, xenophobic, just plain phobic alt-Reich swill that was The Rods Up His Ass, I mean, The Rods and the Axe, including the rather unflattering character of Thanas.

Thanks.
"When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do.

And, if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you send him out."
—David Drake

"Oh, but you did! You turn on any of my crew, you turn on me! But, since that's a concept you can't seem to wrap your head around, then, you've got no place here. You did it to me, Jayne, and that's a fact."

—Malcolm Reynolds, captain of the Firefly-class hauler Serenity,in a nutshell

Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Postby Aleister Crowley » 2017-05-19 04:15pm

InsaneTD wrote:
Aleister Crowley wrote:A man after my own heart.

We'd be good lovers.

Or something.

I think I fixed that for you.

Yes...but I don't know if Flagg would be into it.

Raw Shark

Postby Raw Shark » 2017-05-19 05:17pm

Aleister Crowley wrote:Yes...but I don't know if Flagg would be into it.

You obviously haven't followed this board very closely. Jump in - Flaggle Rock will love ya. ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Postby Aleister Crowley » 2017-05-19 05:27pm

Raw Shark wrote:You obviously haven't followed this board very closely. Jump in - Flaggle Rock will love ya. ;)

Wonderful. :lol:

I'm quite boring, but I do encourage a lot of speculation...

Raw Shark

Postby Raw Shark » 2017-05-19 05:39pm

Aleister Crowley wrote:I'm quite boring, but I do encourage a lot of speculation...

From what I've heard, you're mad, bad, and dangerous to know. Speaking from personal experience, there are worse ways to live.

Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Postby Aleister Crowley » 2017-05-19 06:04pm

Raw Shark wrote:From what I've heard, you're mad, bad, and dangerous to know. Speaking from personal experience, there are worse ways to live.

It helps to have a constant stream of lovers through one's life. Also angry former lovers. People who think you're a hack, a charlatan, a con man peddling snake oil. All in a day's work.

There are worse ways to live indeed! Drinking every day. Cocaine and heroin at the same time. Standing in a room full of incense smoke and waiting for Paimon to stop messing around and talk to you...

Raw Shark

Postby Raw Shark » 2017-05-19 07:28pm

Aleister Crowley wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:From what I've heard, you're mad, bad, and dangerous to know. Speaking from personal experience, there are worse ways to live.
It helps to have a constant stream of lovers through one's life. Also angry former lovers. People who think you're a hack, a charlatan, a con man peddling snake oil. All in a day's work.

I do my best.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2017-05-19 09:27pm

Flagg wrote:Yeah. Sucks. The stupid insipidly hopeful sliver left in me hopes he just said "fuck it" and took off to an island paradise somewhere.

Peru is a popular place for various reasons, for Americans to go get lost in. Its not impossible. IIRC the last trace of him was some low value debit or credit card use at a store in Newark, maybe he needed a snack before the plane.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

muse
Jedi Council Member

Postby muse » 2017-05-20 04:30pm

My long lost sister is in Peru, we have no idea how that happened...
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok

Raw Shark

Postby Raw Shark » 2017-05-20 05:19pm

Yeah, one of my exes (Tiny Runner, for those who follow the relationship thread) disappeared into Peru. Haven't heard from her in a while. I miss her.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Postby Gandalf » 2017-05-20 09:35pm

Guardsman Bass wrote:Man, I remember DestructionatorXIII getting erased, and that was weird. Not that he was particularly interesting to have around at that point, but erasing him also wiped out all the good posts that he'd written about space colonies.

It's indeed a shame, because (aside from the trolling) he was one of the more interesting voices for when Americans started to turn on Obama. If one wants to see his posts from the period, one has to look at the stuff quoted in other posts.

I can't believe it's been 8 years since the Senate was shut down. It doesn't feel that long ago - maybe it's because it feels like my life hasn't changed much in the time since then *sigh*.

Here's one; look at when the Coliseum was last used. For eight years Straha's post has been the last one there.
"How you wanna raise a flag with a rifle
To make us want to celebrate anything but survival?
Nah, you watching tele for The Bachelor
But wouldn’t read a book about a fuckload of massacres?"

- A.B. Original, January 26

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Postby Guardsman Bass » 2017-05-21 02:29am

The problem with the Coliseum was that you could get basically the same thing in a regular thread, without the implied time pressure of a one-on-one debate. It just never really took off.

Mecha Maniacs is a milder version of that - it's been a long time since anyone was active there. I think most of the anime fan members have either moved on or stopped being really interested in anime. I just looked up Spanky the Dolphin's posts, and he hasn't posted in nearly 8 years. Did he migrate over to Spacebattles or something?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood

Formless
Sith Devotee

Postby Formless » 2017-05-21 03:30am

Guardsman Bass wrote:I think most of the anime fan members have either moved on or stopped being really interested in anime.

Maybe, but I think the more likely explanation is that this forum at large is just not that friendly to certain genres and fandoms. Anime mostly included. Most people don't just stop being fans of that stuff in the span of a few years. I mean, hell, I go elsewhere for the majority of my Fantasy discussions too. The fantasy forum just feels... bland. Superheroes, Tolkien(esque) cliches, and... Harry... Potter? (seriously don't understand why that franchise comes up as often as it does, but whatever) Oh, I don't mean that its hostile to other genres and fandoms (except when it is), nor that there isn't the occasional exception to the rule posted as a thread or that the usual discussions aren't occasionally interesting. Just that there isn't much interest from the forum at large for anime and other "niche" fandoms, and the larger a thread gets and the more people who get involved --> the more interesting the thread is. So making a private group for that kind of discussion actually sounds very counter-productive to me. Its always going to produce less interesting threads and, ultimately, an echo-chamber. Then everyone leaves because all echo-chambers are un-challenging and boring. And it also means no new people are joining, because the discussion is private and hidden from lurkers. Which further makes it appear like people just aren't interested in certain fandoms. Because, well, most people probably aren't.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"

The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Postby General Zod » 2017-05-21 06:22am

I've largely given up on any new anime myself. A lot of it is either samey or bland and uninspired and I just can't be bothered to get invested in most of it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

ImageImage

Ralin
Jedi Council Member

Postby Ralin » 2017-05-21 10:55am

Dalton wrote:Most of us are Trekkies anyway.

I still kinda chuckle when I think about that time Wong was all like "For fuck's sake, by most people's standards I am a Trekkie. Why the hell else would I know so damned much about the franchise?"

XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Postby XaLEv » 2017-05-21 01:20pm

yesterday marks ten years since tsukasa hiiragi put her new phone through the washing machine
「かかっ―」

AniThyng
Jedi Council Member

Postby AniThyng » 2017-05-21 02:00pm

XaLEv wrote:yesterday marks ten years since tsukasa hiiragi put her new phone through the washing machine

Man I'd actually been to that shrine when I visited Japan.

I still read manga and watch the occasional anime that happens to fall inside an area of niche interest but it's less and less these days.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P

Formless
Sith Devotee

Postby Formless » 2017-05-21 03:03pm

General Zod wrote:I've largely given up on any new anime myself. A lot of it is either samey or bland and uninspired and I just can't be bothered to get invested in most of it.

Define "new." I've seen anime fans who go over the list of anime that are new on a seasonal basis and try to figure out which ones are going to be interesting, but I'd be damned if I had the time to pay attention to three new shows every four months (or more, in some people's case). I've got other things to do than watch that much television. Hell, at the rate some people pick up new shows you have to wonder how much they actually manage to appreciate them or the nuances.

Then again, I watch TV and film at such a slow rate that I may be an oddball no matter what fandom you compare me to. Whatever I watch, I want to savor it like a good book.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"

The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Postby General Zod » 2017-05-21 04:14pm

I haven't actively sought out new anime in about 3 or four years now.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."

ImageImage

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Postby J » 2017-05-21 07:29pm

muse wrote:My long lost sister is in Peru, we have no idea how that happened...

Wait. What? We have another long lost sister?
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Postby Sea Skimmer » 2017-05-21 08:52pm

AniThyng wrote:I still read manga and watch the occasional anime that happens to fall inside an area of niche interest but it's less and less these days.

Same here. As time goes on I get pickier and pickier, and have less and less time and desire to devote to it or watching anything else or reading anything non fiction. It's not really a bad thing though. Plus I still like a lot of old stuff enough to just want to watch it again from time to time. Brain formative stuff and all that, and that still feeds my own personal writing habits.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956

Return to “Testing”