Thrawn Vs. Khan

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Hmm?

Thrawn
64%
Khan
4%
Straha, you blood sucker, you're not going to be able to father any children, do you hear me? DO YOU?
31%

Total votes: 67

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Vice Admiral wrote:I forgot, is there another title higher than Grand Admiral?
Moffs and Grand Moffs I think...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Straha wrote:
Vice Admiral wrote:I forgot, is there another title higher than Grand Admiral?
Moffs and Grand Moffs I think...
I thought that was govenment rank, like govenor or some such?
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

NecronLord wrote:It's stated that he must have been very good to be promoted to G. Admiral despite being non-human beacuase of the Emperor's dislike of non-humans. This is over-rulled by the canon. Palpy doesn't dislike non-humans and has numerous non-human minions, including a Sith Apprentice. No evidence there then.
No it isn't overruled by canon. Sure, Palpy may have not had anything personally against non-humans, but if he built an Empire based on a ruling class of humans, then he can't put non-humans into high positions in the military. This makes sense since GAT's promotion was held in secret.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Strictly speaking, Moff-Governor is a civil rank, not a military or naval one. It is rather like asking whether Governor Voinovich -- who was by Article III, section 10, of the Constitution of the State of Ohio, the "commander-in-chief of the military and naval forces of the state, except when they shall be called into the service of the United States" -- outranked GEN Schwarzkopf. In terms of protocol, yes; however, in terms of actual authority, the very question is silly.

However, considering the fact that most Moff-Governors also held the ranks of high admiral and surface marshal, one may conclude that the members of the Galactic Emperor's college of grand admirals did in fact outrank Moff-Governors in military and naval matters (obviously the grand admirals had no gubernatorial jurisdiction). The fact that GADM Tigellinus exchanged his flag for the Grand Moff-Government of the Core indicates that the two are broadly comparable in terms of prestige and influence.

The known functions and rôles of these three positions allows one to conjecture their most probable relative precedence, in terms of protocol. A Grand Moff-Governor most probably takes precedence before a grand admiral -- by comparison, a Governor of a State of the Union takes precedence before a uniformed head of service or a five-star commissioned officer, whether within or without the relevant State of the Union. A grand admiral almost certainly precedes a Moff-Governor without his or her Sector, but may or may not do so while within his or her Sector; that particular point is made difficult to judge by the lack of a clear precedent in terrestrial protocol.

PUBLIUS
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I didn't think 'strategy' was left to one man in modern militiaries; wouldn't there be an Imperial High Command Directorate or something? At least several independent strategic studies groups? Thrawn is pretty good, but isn't it silly to think he came up with it all by himself?
Cockknocker
Redshirt

Post by Cockknocker »

However, considering the fact that most Moff-Governors also held the ranks of high admiral and surface marshal
I'd always considered that the Moffs were basically just high level military personnel who, upon approaching retirement age, were 'transferred' into government. Take Tarkin , for example.

They would retain their army or navy ranks, though, never be referred to them, as being a 'Moff' would be a higher honour.
Hey Kids! It's Mark Hamill!
[Applause]
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think best analogy for the moffs are provice governors of rome.

the moffs had military power, but were also civil officials
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Are we talking Thrawn of pre-ROTJ or the existing so called 'Commander' in the later stages of Parkinsons Disorder?
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

NecronLord wrote:It's stated that he must have been very good to be promoted to G. Admiral despite being non-human beacuase of the Emperor's dislike of non-humans. This is over-rulled by the canon. Palpy doesn't dislike non-humans and has numerous non-human minions, including a Sith Apprentice. No evidence there then.
Explain where all of his non-human, non-male, and non-white associates in TPM and AotC disappeared to by the time of RotJ. One would think he would keep them around if he had no dislike for them and since everyone in the Empire must obey his every whim or face cruel punishment.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Because Joe Lucas was a butthead and made his films with an all white cast until he brought the token black guy along later on. He couldn't get away with the shit in TPM and AOTC
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

"Joe" Lucas?

Also, that's a very nice RL explanation, which isn't worth jack-shit when we're dealing with in-universe explanations. According to your logic, the Death Star blew up because of the special effects team and not because of the proton torpedoes launched into a thermal exhaust port.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Darth Akwat Kbrana
Redshirt

Post by Darth Akwat Kbrana »

It's stated that he must have been very good to be promoted to G. Admiral despite being non-human beacuase of the Emperor's dislike of non-humans. This is over-rulled by the canon. Palpy doesn't dislike non-humans and has numerous non-human minions, including a Sith Apprentice. No evidence there then.
Hardly what I'd call a contradiction. Senator/Supreme Chancellor Palpatine certainly can't have an all human staff, it would be political suicide. As for Darth Maul, there are many possible explanations. Perhaps Palpy didn't turn rascist until later. Perhaps he was chosen because of his brutality. Most likely explanation is that he was recruited for the same reason Thrawn was. Extremely high force sensitivity, good physical prowess, a ruthelss individual...such is far from unlikely.

Of course, that's speculation. Regardless, there is no contradiction as per the rules of Canon. All non-human aides and Darth Maul can be explained very easily, and unless ROTJ-era Ermperor Palpatine were to come on-screen and honestly tell us he wasn't rascist, there's little question as to whether or not he is.
"You have just proven your ignorance beyond all shadow of a dought!" -Stewart Davies
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:"Joe" Lucas?

Also, that's a very nice RL explanation, which isn't worth jack-shit when we're dealing with in-universe explanations. According to your logic, the Death Star blew up because of the special effects team and not because of the proton torpedoes launched into a thermal exhaust port.
I suppose you are right. If you're gonna call the Emperor a racist, as well as his staff, paint the rebels with that brush too.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
STRAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA! wrote:Straha, you blood sucker, you're not going to be able to father any children, do you hear me? DO YOU?

I've done far worse than reply to you. I've quoted you. And I wish to go on ...quoting you.
BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[echo]BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!![/echo]
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Straha wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:

I've done far worse than reply to you. I've quoted you. And I wish to go on ...quoting you.
BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[echo]BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!![/echo]
I leave you as you left me--as you left your genitals--marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead thread.
Buried in spam. Buried in spam.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
diabla
Redshirt

Re: Thrawn Vs. Khan

Post by diabla »

Grand Admiral Thrawn: "I will leave you as you didn't leave me... as you should have seen it coming... marooned in the center of... A TRAP"

Admiral Ackbar: ... "THRAAAAAAAWN!!!"

(echo): *THRAAAAAAAWN!*
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Thrawn Vs. Khan

Post by Dalton »

A 7-year necro for a spammy post is not the best way to make a first impression.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.