Trek Ground combat - phasers

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Trek Ground combat - phasers

Post by Doomriser »

Just a few extra notes regarding SD.NET's ground combat page.

http://www.racprops.com/issue1/firstphasers/pg5.php
The above props webpage is rather interesting. It shows how the magazine of the TOS phasers is actually supposed to BE the handle of the weapon! Can you imagine trying to replace that in battle!?! Also, electrical prongs were used for power transfer. (This part is non-canon, I would assume)

But this revelation may suggest that the power packs seen in "The Galileo Seven" really were hand-phaser power packs and not belonging to the support weapon

http://www.racprops.com/issue1/bwphaser ... b5a5a770da

On page two here, the website states:

"In the scene where Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock beam down to the planet to find Prof. Crater. Captain Kirk says to Mr. Spock, "Set your Phaser on one quarter, I'll leave mine on stun." Mr. Spock thumbs his phaser one's setting knob on top of his Phaser two and the hood pops right up."
[The Man Trap]

This suggests that TOS phasers may have had more settings than currently envisioned.

Also, on that page as well, the props crew admits that they were aware that phasers looked like electric shavers...

Regagrding MW's statements on "The Omega Glory,"
"In that episode, Captain Tracy told Kirk that his men drained four of their phasers in order to kill "thousands" of attacking Yangs (a classic scenario for a defensive HMG)."

I'd just like to post a few informative statements based on Wayne Poe's commentary on the claims of E1701 regarding this episode.

> "The Omega Glory" - on the ground, using a single phaser pistol and a
> handful of power packs, kills *thousands* of charging barbarian hordes
> easily.

E7101 should get his facts straight. Spock found two of Captain Tracy's
reserve phaser power packs among "several hundred" Yang bodies. That would be a total of three packs Tracy had, at least, for "several hundred"
enemies.

sev·er·al -

2 a : more than one <several pleas> b : more than two but fewer than many
<moved several inches> c chiefly dialect : being a great many

> To save the town from the oncoming horde, he asks Kirk for four
> phaser pistols and three extra power packs each.

Wrong. E7101 should get his facts straight. He asks for ten, with three
extra power packs each. This is AFTER this scene:

> "They sacrificed hundreds of warriors, just to lure us out into the open,"
he says, "then they came,
> and they came, and they came. We cut down thousands of them, and still
they came."

Captain Tracy using the four phasers from the landing party, AND their two
extra power packs each. IN ADDITION to the Coms fighting alongside him using THEIR weapons....

[end quote]

So the power of whatever the Federation was using down there may have been exaggerated in the first place...
Last edited by Doomriser on 2002-07-04 07:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

ST weapons are highly exaggerated in their power. Also in their accuracy.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Re: Trek Ground combat - phasers

Post by Howedar »

Doomriser wrote:It shows how the magazine of the TOS phasers is actually supposed to be in the handle of the weapon! Can you imagine trying to replace that in battle!?!
Whats wrong with that? Doesn't sound much different than the magazine of a modern handgun.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Re: Trek Ground combat - phasers

Post by Doomriser »

Howedar wrote:
Doomriser wrote:It shows how the magazine of the TOS phasers is actually supposed to be in the handle of the weapon! Can you imagine trying to replace that in battle!?!
Whats wrong with that? Doesn't sound much different than the magazine of a modern handgun.
From the site:
"There does seem to be a reason for it, however, because later in the series they do show these handles as detachable power packs and some of the hero models even had removable handles, so they had planned to show this feature as needed.

And this did fit into the plot of the story of episode #52 "The Omega Glory" where Mr. Spock shows Cpt. Kirk depleted phaser power packs. These were made to look just like the handles"

One does not have to remove the _HANDLE_ of a modern pistol in order to reload!
Cool Guy
Redshirt

Post by Cool Guy »

Maybe I am understanding it a little differently, but it doesn't seem very "battlefield unfriendly."

The first couple of paragraphs make it sound as if the handle of the phaser is the power pack itself (and a new power pack is just a new handle). When the phaser's power pack is depleted, all you do is grab onto the body of the phaser, yank off the handle, and plug in a new handle and you're done (although, it would have been better to model it after a modern day sidearm so you can still keep your grip on the handle while changing the ammo).

Unless you think in order to change the power pack, you have to take off the handle, remove the battery located inside the handle, put in a new battery, and plug the handle back into the phaser. That would be pretty ridiculous, but I don't think how it works.
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

Grabbing the barrel and body of a gun you've just emptied a clip from = bad idea. The gun gets hot.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Silver wrote:Grabbing the barrel and body of a gun you've just emptied a clip from = bad idea. The gun gets hot.

Do phasers though?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

Why wouldn't they? The discharge of energy has to heat up the surroundings, doesn't it?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Silver wrote:Why wouldn't they? The discharge of energy has to heat up the surroundings, doesn't it?

Perhaps, but then this is star trek.
Bender and God, Futurama
JJP
Redshirt

Phasers

Post by JJP »

This is pretty dubious, but I've got a toy hand phaser of the kind seen in ST6 (Yeah, I know, I'm sorry), and the two batteries go in a compartment that slots in the handle like the magazine of amodern handgun.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Yeah, this is Star Trek, isn't it? They'd probably build in a de-thermalizing oscillator, which matches the frequency of the energy given off by the shots with inverse mesons, thereby translocating it to subspace. And that would allow them to comfortably grab the barrel of the phaser.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

How does one de-stickify this thread?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Doomriser wrote:How does one de-stickify this thread?

Click edit, then scroll down till you see a choice between normal and sticky.
Bender and God, Futurama
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Maybe the handle is a shell and it has a cartridge that slides out???
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

David wrote:Maybe the handle is a shell and it has a cartridge that slides out???

Perhaps
Bender and God, Futurama
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

So, you have to remove the entire handle/pistol grip to relaod the old phasers? That's evil. At least with a modern pistol you can remove the mag, still have a round in the chamber and the weapon in a useable state and in the aimed postion as you locate your replacement mag and place it on the weapon.

Very bad design, though the lack of sights already pointed that out quite well enough.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Its not a truly horrible design. Its better than TNG phasers, which either have to be disassembled to reload, or plugged in and charged somewhere.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Howedar wrote:Its not a truly horrible design. Its better than TNG phasers, which either have to be disassembled to reload, or plugged in and charged somewhere.
I know, I had coniptions when I researched their reload designs. It looks like the Hand Phasers are meant to be Recharged, so the poor soldier is faced with having to carry two or three of them so he can have firepower while the others are off being recharged, providing the recharge generator is nearby enough. :(

Unbelievably bad, and that doesn't go into the ergonomics of firing and sighting the bloody things.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I'd hate to see these people design tanks... oh wait, some of the games have them. Look like friggen shuttles with turrets :roll: Not canon, but I'll betcha that's what they'd most likely have.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

VF5SS wrote:I'd hate to see these people design tanks... oh wait, some of the games have them. Look like friggen shuttles with turrets :roll: Not canon, but I'll betcha that's what they'd most likely have.
*kicks designs for the TIE crawler under the desk* yep that would be a sily way to design a tank.
:D
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Yeah the TIE Crawler is an ugly little mutt. Would someone please tell me how the pilot sees around those huge treads? Give me a tank droid or AT-AT any day of the week.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

VF5SS wrote:Yeah the TIE Crawler is an ugly little mutt. Would someone please tell me how the pilot sees around those huge treads? Give me a tank droid or AT-AT any day of the week.
Did you check out the Stats on a Tank Droid? It's 70m tall!!! Holy shit but that's huge, it's anti-personnel weapon was a Turbolaser :!:

Anyway the TIE crawler was crap and I just hope they can get rid of the idea of it somehow.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Tank Droid: Humans bleed good... humans bleed reeeeeeal good!
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

VF5SS wrote:Tank Droid: Humans bleed good... humans bleed reeeeeeal good!
Damn but that reminds me of Mek-quake, or the Warwagons from Robohunter. Unfortuntely that's off-topic here.

Still I wonder what the hell they used to kill Tank Droids? ISD's from orbit? :)
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Probably you would have several hits from Proton torps. Though, I see fighters being shredded pretty easily by those things.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。