Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech debate. PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:33pm
Offline
Pathological liar

Joined: 2004-01-28 09:19pm
Posts: 146
Location: Crystal Lake Il.
The main part of this debate must function on two seperate but linked points.

First. If two different but both "Cannon" sources give data that is obviously contradictory, Which do you use? The movie or the book?

Second. How do we resolve "Suspension of Disbelife" dilemma's? Such as if two different explinations of one thing are both impossable, but require different levels of SoD to explain the effects seen in the movie or writen about in a book.

After we decide what rules to use for the two questions above, we can continue.

Sincerely, Stewart.



Stratigic Defense Instatute, We provide Elegant Solutions to your Insolvable Problems.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Help required? PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:39pm
Offline
Pathological liar

Joined: 2004-01-28 09:19pm
Posts: 146
Location: Crystal Lake Il.
How do I "quote" from some other post so that it shows up in a blue box in my reply?

Is it possable to quote from more than one reply in my single post? If so how?

I have tried to go back to prior posts to make sure that I answer all of the questions raised, but it erases my reply when I try to get back to my typing.

I would greatly appreciate anyones help in this.

Sincerely, Stewart.



Stratigic Defense Instatute, We provide Elegant Solutions to your Insolvable Problems.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Help required? PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:42pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-14 11:34am
Posts: 1190
Stewart at SDI wrote:
First. If two different but both "Cannon" sources give data that is obviously contradictory, Which do you use? The movie or the book?

The movie is the highest level of canon. It shows us that Alderaan is blown up very roughly... anything saying something contradicting is wrong.

Quote:
How do I "quote" from some other post so that it shows up in a blue box in my reply?

Is it possable to quote from more than one reply in my single post? If so how?

I have tried to go back to prior posts to make sure that I answer all of the questions raised, but it erases my reply when I try to get back to my typing.

I would greatly appreciate anyones help in this.

Sincerely, Stewart.


You can cut&paste text into the box where you are writing your response. And try the link "BBCode" on the "Reply screen".



Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:43pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-12-30 09:57pm
Posts: 10355
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...
See the button marked "Quote" up there you moron, you can use it to quote...185 IQ my arse.



"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Help required? PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:44pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 11:00am
Posts: 4295
Location: Nashville, TN
Stewart,

You should see a "Quote" button at the right side of the screen in the heading of each post. If you click that, you will go to the "Post Reply" screen with the text of the original message in quote tags at the top of the screen, much like the following...

[quote="author name"]text[/quote]



"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech deba PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:46pm
Offline
Darkest Knight
Darkest Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 01:35am
Posts: 18212
Location: California
Stewart at SDI wrote:
The main part of this debate must function on two seperate but linked points.

First. If two different but both "Cannon" sources give data that is obviously contradictory, Which do you use? The movie or the book?


The movie. There's a tiered system of canon materials, beginning with the movies, which makes them the highest and completely inviolate dictators of what is the true SW universe. They can override ANY other source, from the comics and the games right on up the scripts and the novelizations.

Quote:
Second. How do we resolve "Suspension of Disbelife" dilemma's? Such as if two different explinations of one thing are both impossable, but require different levels of SoD to explain the effects seen in the movie or writen about in a book.


What do you mean? Suspension of disbelief does not have shades of gray. It's merely an "on-off" switch. Either you are suspending disbelief or you are not.

Quote:
After we decide what rules to use for the two questions above, we can continue.

Sincerely, Stewart.


I look forward to it.



"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech deba PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:53pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 11:00am
Posts: 4295
Location: Nashville, TN
Stewart at SDI wrote:
First. If two different but both "Cannon" sources give data that is obviously contradictory, Which do you use? The movie or the book?


The answer to this is simple if the owner of the story has a policy on the matter, which Lucasfilm does. In the event of a conflict, the film version of any event is always the most accurate version. Lucasfilm's policy has been well publicized, and Mike has an extensive discussion of the subject on the main site.

Stewart at SDI wrote:
Second. How do we resolve "Suspension of Disbelife" dilemma's? Such as if two different explinations of one thing are both impossable, but require different levels of SoD to explain the effects seen in the movie or writen about in a book.


You don't seem to understand the concept of suspension of disbelief. If you suspend disbelief, then you assume that the events depicted on the screen actually happened, and that you are viewing some kind of documentary footage of those events. Consequently, any event you see on the screen is assumed to be possible.

If you have conflicting explanations of an event depicted on screen, then you should choose the explanation that is the most consistent with known science. This method requires the least invention of "technobabble" principles to explain what occurred.



"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech deba PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:56pm
Offline
Pathological liar

Joined: 2004-01-28 09:19pm
Posts: 146
Location: Crystal Lake Il.
The question means if two different mechanisms can explain one thing but one requires more SoD than the other, how do you choose which one to use?

Quote:
What do you mean? Suspension of disbelief does not have shades of gray. It's merely an "on-off" switch. Either you are suspending disbelief or you are not.


If this does not work, I would like a more detailed set of instructions to follow for the quoting proccess.

Sincerely, Stewart. [/quote]

I look forward to it.[/quote]



Stratigic Defense Instatute, We provide Elegant Solutions to your Insolvable Problems.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech deba PostPosted: 2004-02-10 06:58pm
Offline
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Posts: 28367
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Stewart at SDI wrote:
The question means if two different mechanisms can explain one thing but one requires more SoD than the other, how do you choose which one to use?


Same as any position in real science: You use Parsimony.



Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-10 07:01pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2003-05-25 10:02am
Posts: 2154
Location: Lübeck, Germany
Do you guy fear too, that is is slinding into DarkStar's superlaser effect theory?



Vader: "Ja Admiral?!"
Piett: "Unsere Schiffe haben den Rasenden Falken gesichtet mein Lord! Aber er ist in ein Asteroidenfeld geflogen, und wir können es nicht riskieren..."
Vader: "Asteroiden interessieren mich nicht, Admiral! Ich will dieses Schiff haben! Und keine weiteren Ausflüchte..."
Piett: "Ja Lord Vader!"


Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-10 07:03pm
Offline
Rest in Peace, Black Mage
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 04:48pm
Posts: 28367
Location: Somewhere between nowhere and everywhere
Tribun wrote:
Do you guy fear too, that is is slinding into DarkStar's superlaser effect theory?


We're still in Stilgar's territory. Next, I suspect we will see him state that Fusion will do it, at which point we will point out insufficient hydrogen is present in the Earth, and acheiving the necessary pressure/heat would far exceed DET. We won't hit the 'magic beam that converts the planet to Antimatter' for a while yet, so I don't need to actually run the numbers that prove that, too, would yield much higher than 1e39J.



Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alderan's Destruction, Divergant thread of the Tech deba PostPosted: 2004-02-10 07:06pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2003-09-17 02:31am
Posts: 7438
Location: Kweh?!
Stewart at SDI wrote:
If this does not work, I would like a more detailed set of instructions to follow for the quoting proccess.


The main Stardestroyer.Net page has two essays (click the Essays tab) that discuss canon and Sci-Fi debating (which talks about suspension of disbelief. They are extremely good reads and I suggest you look at them before you respond to Mike's inevitable response.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-10 07:07pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 11:00am
Posts: 4295
Location: Nashville, TN
Stewart,

When quoting, you should use the following format...

[quote="Name of person being quoted"]Copy of the person's statement[/quote]

Or just the following...

[quote]copied text[/quote]

Either way, you need to make sure that you have both an "opening" tag -- [quote] -- and a "closing" tag -- [/quote].

Do not put your own statements between tags. Make sure you don't have any stray tags, since tags that are not part of a matched pair will actually be visible in your post.



"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: The energy required to blast the planet to smitherines. PostPosted: 2004-02-10 08:03pm
Offline
Pathological liar

Joined: 2004-01-28 09:19pm
Posts: 146
Location: Crystal Lake Il.
The arguments posted here and other plases cite several figures for the energy required to blast the planet apart. At least one is based on the asumption that the fragments are moving at some large fraction of C. I must assume that the source for this is one of the books because one of the other posters claimed it was Cannon.

This assumption that the fragments are moving at any apreaciatable fraction of the speed of light is clearly in opposition to the event protraid in the movie. For all we know the fragments might not even have "escape velocity"! Thus the calculations of the energy required are plainly flawed.

Carefull fraim by fraim measurements of the speed of the fastest fragments moving perpendicular to the line of sight indicates a velosity of only 1.385 planetary diamiters per second. That a later book claims a vastly diferent figure, one and a half orders of magnatude higher, brings us to the dilemma. If the fastest fragments are traveling less than 12,000 Km/S and the slowest are going one onehundredth of that speed, what is the total energy? Clearly it is not any were neer what is claimed elsewere on this site.

Irregardless of the mass of the planet, dealing only with the part of the equasion that comes from the velosity of the mass, the differance between the two figures can be easily calculated.

((12,000*12,000=144,000,000)+(1,200*1,200=1,440,000))/2=72,720,000 As calculated from the direct evidence of the film, yealds a velocity factor just under 73 million.

150,000*150,000=2.25^10 or 22,500,000,000 as stated in a book. the differance between the two figures is 309.4.

Therefore, given any figure of mass the two answers for total energy will dissagree by over 300 times.

Since the movie cuts away before we get to see the entire event, we have to assume the total velocity factor. However, when Solo arives, there are pieces of planet moving at very low velocities, on the order of M/S. Not tens of M/S, but surely less and posably at fractions of M/S. Using this figure as the lower boundary in the velocity equasion above, the differance factor becomes 625!

If the Falcon has any residual speed after comming out of hyperspace, the fragments must be moving parrallel to his course but slower than it is moving. That would imply that at least some of the fragments did not have sufficiant velocity to escape the gravity well of the total mass. Since the Falcon appiers to be moving when it comes out into the metior storm, this is the most likely scenario. That means that the "corect" answer must lie someplace between the two factors computed above.

My "POCKET REF" by Thomas J. Glover states the mass of the Earth as 1.317^25 pounds or by my calculator 6^21 metric tons in nice round numbers. If Alderan were approximately the same mass as Earth, then the total energy would be about 4.32^32th or about seven orders of magnatude less than that cited in the book. IIRC The variables cited above could lower this figure by a factor less than ten but no more in my oppinion. Still a prodigious amount of energy.

The above is not realivant to our discussion because SoD requires that the planet explode and so it must. We are just arguing on the total power needed to do the job. All of the above figures are approximate, since TV does not have sufficiant resolution to get closer than this.

Disagrements? Sincerely, Stewart.



Stratigic Defense Instatute, We provide Elegant Solutions to your Insolvable Problems.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-10 08:08pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2003-05-25 10:02am
Posts: 2154
Location: Lübeck, Germany
Quote:
Since the movie cuts away before we get to see the entire event, we have to assume the total velocity factor.


Oh right.
The only thing cut away was the debris field, after the explosion was almost over anyway, as you can see in this picture from Mike, which shows the last frame of the scene.
Image



Vader: "Ja Admiral?!"
Piett: "Unsere Schiffe haben den Rasenden Falken gesichtet mein Lord! Aber er ist in ein Asteroidenfeld geflogen, und wir können es nicht riskieren..."
Vader: "Asteroiden interessieren mich nicht, Admiral! Ich will dieses Schiff haben! Und keine weiteren Ausflüchte..."
Piett: "Ja Lord Vader!"


Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The energy required to blast the planet to smitherines. PostPosted: 2004-02-10 10:01pm
Offline
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Posts: 70016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Stewart at SDI wrote:
The arguments posted here and other plases cite several figures for the energy required to blast the planet apart. At least one is based on the asumption that the fragments are moving at some large fraction of C. I must assume that the source for this is one of the books because one of the other posters claimed it was Cannon.

That is an observation, not an assumption.
Quote:
This assumption that the fragments are moving at any apreaciatable fraction of the speed of light is clearly in opposition to the event protraid in the movie. For all we know the fragments might not even have "escape velocity"! Thus the calculations of the energy required are plainly flawed.

Carefull fraim by fraim measurements of the speed of the fastest fragments moving perpendicular to the line of sight indicates a velosity of only 1.385 planetary diamiters per second.

1.385 planetary diameters per second is more than 17000 km/s, which is more than 5% of c, fool. Can't you operate a fucking calculator?
Quote:
That a later book claims a vastly diferent figure, one and a half orders of magnatude higher, brings us to the dilemma. If the fastest fragments are traveling less than 12,000 Km/S and the slowest are going one onehundredth of that speed, what is the total energy? Clearly it is not any were neer what is claimed elsewere on this site.

Irregardless of the mass of the planet, dealing only with the part of the equasion that comes from the velosity of the mass, the differance between the two figures can be easily calculated.

((12,000*12,000=144,000,000)+(1,200*1,200=1,440,000))/2=72,720,000 As calculated from the direct evidence of the film, yealds a velocity factor just under 73 million.

150,000*150,000=2.25^10 or 22,500,000,000 as stated in a book. the differance between the two figures is 309.4.

Therefore, given any figure of mass the two answers for total energy will dissagree by over 300 times.

What book are you talking about? I refuse to believe that anyone with a genuine technical background would be so sloppy as to reference unnamed sources as regularly as you do.
Quote:
Since the movie cuts away before we get to see the entire event, we have to assume the total velocity factor. However, when Solo arives, there are pieces of planet moving at very low velocities, on the order of M/S. Not tens of M/S, but surely less and posably at fractions of M/S. Using this figure as the lower boundary in the velocity equasion above, the differance factor becomes 625!

Except that he sees nothing but black space behind those fragments. If the majority of the planet's mass was still in place, he would see an expanding planet, not a few rocks in empty space. There was so little remaining mass that he thought he was in the wrong place, fool.
Quote:
If the Falcon has any residual speed after comming out of hyperspace, the fragments must be moving parrallel to his course but slower than it is moving. That would imply that at least some of the fragments did not have sufficiant velocity to escape the gravity well of the total mass. Since the Falcon appiers to be moving when it comes out into the metior storm, this is the most likely scenario. That means that the "corect" answer must lie someplace between the two factors computed above.

More bullshit. Entropic particle collisions in a chaotic debris field can easily fling material back toward the original location. The fact that there was so little of this material indicates that the vast majority of the planet is, in fact, nowhere to be seen.
Quote:
My "POCKET REF" by Thomas J. Glover states the mass of the Earth as 1.317^25 pounds or by my calculator 6^21 metric tons in nice round numbers. If Alderan were approximately the same mass as Earth, then the total energy would be about 4.32^32th or about seven orders of magnatude less than that cited in the book. IIRC The variables cited above could lower this figure by a factor less than ten but no more in my oppinion. Still a prodigious amount of energy.

For the second time, what book? I have never seen this book you speak of, and your failure to name it does not build confidence.
Quote:
The above is not realivant to our discussion because SoD requires that the planet explode and so it must. We are just arguing on the total power needed to do the job. All of the above figures are approximate, since TV does not have sufficiant resolution to get closer than this.

Disagrements? Sincerely, Stewart.

Read this before you waste any more of our time with your dishonest and ignorant bleatings.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... eraan.html



Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-11 04:35am
Offline
The Fearless One
User avatar

Joined: 2002-12-24 08:29am
Posts: 10681
Location: The Covenants last and final line of defense
Quote:
This assumption that the fragments are moving at any apreaciatable fraction of the speed of light is clearly in opposition to the event protraid in the movie. For all we know the fragments might not even have "escape velocity"! Thus the calculations of the energy required are plainly flawed.


Careful calculations made by educated people suggests you are wrong.



I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The energy required to blast the planet to smitherines. PostPosted: 2004-02-11 06:06am
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-14 11:34am
Posts: 1190
Stewart at SDI wrote:
Carefull fraim by fraim measurements of the speed of the fastest fragments moving perpendicular to the line of sight indicates a velosity of only 1.385 planetary diamiters per second.

Earth diameter: ~ 12000 km
1.385 planetary diameters: 12000*1.385 = 16620 km

Quote:
That a later book claims a vastly diferent figure, one and a half orders of magnatude higher, brings us to the dilemma. If the fastest fragments are traveling less than 12,000 Km/S and the slowest are going one onehundredth of that speed, what is the total energy? Clearly it is not any were neer what is claimed elsewere on this site.


5% c = 300000 / 100 * 5 km/s = 15000 km/s
That's less than your 1.385 planetary diameters per second !

Quote:
My "POCKET REF" by Thomas J. Glover states the mass of the Earth as 1.317^25 pounds or by my calculator 6^21 metric tons in nice round numbers. If Alderan were approximately the same mass as Earth, then the total energy would be about 4.32^32th or about seven orders of magnatude less than that cited in the book. IIRC The variables cited above could lower this figure by a factor less than ten but no more in my oppinion. Still a prodigious amount of energy.

At least you are not propagating this funny/stupid "fusion/fission-bomb planet" theory... this theory is so horrible stupid that's even hard to laugh about.

I take the last figure that you agree that the absolute minimum of the DS1 must be the grav. binding energy of the planet... I don't know what's wrong with you pocket calculator, but others in this thread have already proven your "good limit" of 4E32 joule wrong...



Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-11 11:36am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-15 08:06am
Posts: 14847
Location: Orleanian in exile
If this clown Stewart really is connected with the Strategic Defence Initiative, we have one reason at least why the project's gotten nowhere.



When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Energy efficiancy question? PostPosted: 2004-02-25 08:34pm
Offline
Pathological liar

Joined: 2004-01-28 09:19pm
Posts: 146
Location: Crystal Lake Il.
What is the efficiancy of the mechanism that generates, controles and directs the energy required to destroy the planet? IE, what pecentage of the energy generated was absorbed by the machine that did it?



Stratigic Defense Instatute, We provide Elegant Solutions to your Insolvable Problems.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Energy efficiancy question? PostPosted: 2004-02-25 08:40pm
Offline
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 12:25am
Posts: 70016
Location: Toronto, Canada
Stewart at SDI wrote:
What is the efficiancy of the mechanism that generates, controles and directs the energy required to destroy the planet? IE, what pecentage of the energy generated was absorbed by the machine that did it?

Something much smaller than the billions of percent efficiencies required for your alternate theory.



Image
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-25 08:42pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-15 08:06am
Posts: 14847
Location: Orleanian in exile
Stewart at SDI wrote:
What is the efficiancy of the mechanism that generates, controles and directs the energy required to destroy the planet? IE, what pecentage of the energy generated was absorbed by the machine that did it?


Irrelevant, incompetent, and immaterial so far as the observed effects of the superlaser are concerned. The weapon delivered sufficent energy to blow a terrestrial planet apart in a tenth of a second.



When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-25 11:01pm
Offline
Bile-Driven Hate Machine
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 06:26pm
Posts: 17927
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Stewart at SDI wrote:
If the Falcon has any residual speed after comming out of hyperspace, the fragments must be moving parrallel to his course but slower than it is moving. That would imply that at least some of the fragments did not have sufficiant velocity to escape the gravity well of the total mass.


You assume that the Falcon came out of hyperspace where the center of Alderaan's mass was projected to be. I don't need to explain why this is stupid.

Furthermore, assuming that Alderaan was Earth-like, the fastest any particle would need to go to clear the planet's potential well is 11.2 km/s. If a significant portion of the planet's mass was moving that slowly, we'd have observed a large concentration of mass remaining after the explosion. Since the entire space taken up by the planet was cleared, we can safely conclude that you're wrong.



Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-25 11:05pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 05:00pm
Posts: 7153
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Durandal wrote:
Stewart at SDI wrote:
If the Falcon has any residual speed after comming out of hyperspace, the fragments must be moving parrallel to his course but slower than it is moving. That would imply that at least some of the fragments did not have sufficiant velocity to escape the gravity well of the total mass.


You assume that the Falcon came out of hyperspace where the center of Alderaan's mass was projected to be. I don't need to explain why this is stupid.



I have a gut feeling that you might actually need to explain. 8)



Milites Astrum Exterminans

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2004-02-26 05:24am
Offline
Mammy Two-Shoes
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-05 05:45pm
Posts: 30776
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland (not really)
If he has to, I might be forced to track Stewart down and snuff him...



Image
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group