Proof that SW turbolasers power output can be adjusted

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Proof that SW turbolasers power output can be adjusted

Post by Mr. B »

"Intensify the foreward batteries. I don't want anything to get through."
This was spoken by Admiral Piett on the Executor. And this could be proof that Turbolasers can be adjusted in either their rate of fire or the power of each shot.

But if he wanted an increase in rate of fire he would have said that. To intensify means to strengthen so he must have wanted the TL to have more power to each shot so as to crush any wayward flying fighters. the next scene a Xwing is blown apart with one shot from a TL. And we know what happened to the Awing.

Does this sound interesting?
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

There's also the fact that General Veers ordered maximum firepower when he targeted the power generators on Hoth, and the fact that the Essential Guide to Technology clearly indicates that many weapons in the SW universe have variable yields, and the fact that ICS states MAXIMUM powers and does not just state power yields, but Trekkies still won't give in.... :roll:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I thought he said "Intensify forward firepower", which probably means gunners would prioritize forward-attacking fighters. (correct me if I'm wrong as I'm too lazy to stick the tape in)

I don't see why gunners would be firing low-level blasts, and suddenly switch to a higher power. If low-level blasts weren't destroying fighters, they should have boosted power long ago.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I think Zoink is right. But there is that proof on Hoth.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Aaron2
Youngling

Post by Aaron2 »

Zoink wrote:I thought he said "Intensify forward firepower", which probably means gunners would prioritize forward-attacking fighters. (correct me if I'm wrong as I'm too lazy to stick the tape in)

I don't see why gunners would be firing low-level blasts, and suddenly switch to a higher power. If low-level blasts weren't destroying fighters, they should have boosted power long ago.
High power setting could have some negative side-effect, such as overheating, increased chance of breakdown or it could burn though their ammo/power at an grossly inefficient rate.

Aaron
Bob The Great
Youngling

dialogue

Post by Bob The Great »

IIRC, the dialogue went as follows (from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate).

low-ranking flunky - "Sir! We've lost our bridge deflector shield!"

Admiral Piett - "Intensify forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through."

A-Wind pilot - "AAAARRRRGGHHHHH"

Admiral Piett - "Intensify forward firepower!"

Other officer (forget his name) - "Too late!"

*Big explosion*
Bob The Great has spoken...
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Not only that, it's common sense. Since they're energy weapons, their power can be adjusted. And in the ICS, the power levels say "1 kiloton per shot Max.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

The most convincing proof for variable energy settings on SW weaponry lies in the simple fact that we don't see the TL shots doing the maximum amount of damage that they are stated to do. Idiots use this to conclude that they CAN'T do it... intelligent people, seeking to incorporate as many sources of evidence as possible, simply conclude that the power was turned down.
The Great and Malignant
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Also In ANH, the Strom Troopers set their blasters to stun to take down Leia.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite