An ISD in the Hands of the United Federation of Planets?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

An ISD in the Hands of the United Federation of Planets?

Post by Techno_Union »

This is sort of a spin off of the ISD in the US’ hands. But this is still a curious question. After the Dominion war the Feds seemed a little greedier with a hint of a dark side. So you may find some of the factors the same as the US.

I use the Feds because we know that the Romulans and Klingons would more then likely use it for war. But the Feds are different, they have a small dark side but that nagging goody goody thing.

What if the United Federation of Planets got its hands on an ISD in perfect condition in orbit around mars? They are able to board it and take it over.

* Lets say (for the sake of the thread) that the UFP has all the knowledge they would need to run and operate the ship.

*They cannot build anything else that is Imperial ie. torpedoes, weapons, droids, ect, due to the advanced nature of these weapons.

*Fed redshirts would fill a small part of the ranks of the ships; all of the men have the necessary knowledge they need to do their jobs.

*The ISD has all of the ground/space forces they would normally have (20 ATATs, 30 ATSTs, and enough armor/weapons for 9,700 troops.)

*The ISD has a complete complement of droids (security, protocol, ect.)

How would the UFP use this newfound treasure? Would they use it to travel the galaxy, explore new places, or would the Fed use its new war force to help conquer their new neighbors in the GQ and DQ? Please keep an open mind about the things I ask of you, such as the belief that the Federation can fully understand all the systems and all things aboard the ships, along with being able to command the ship and all ground/space forces with the full understanding of the systems.
Proud member of GALE Force.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

On the one hand, part of me thinks they would promptly lose it to the gaseous anomaly/wormhole/space beastie/horror of the week.... But maybe I'm being cynical :wink:

If someone like Section 31 got their hands on it, they might hide it quickly as their ultimate weapon to be used in time of war against the Federation, rather than let every other spacefaring race see the monster, with most of them drooling with envy (and wanting to acquire it for their own purposes...)

You say they cannot build anything Imperial-tech; does this mean at some point the ship is going to run into a consumables problem with Tibanna Gas and Hypermatter fuel? As well as spare parts for the starfighters, shuttles, and landing barges, etc etc.

Plus, you'd need to spend time training the pilots of the support ships and fighters to be stick-and-rudder men again, instead of pilot-by-typing :wink:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Why do I see them turning the thing into an independently operating, long-range exploration vessel? Or better yet, assign a new special defense unit and keep it at home?

I apologize in advance for basically repeating much of the content I read on this site below:

Either option would work since the ISD could more than defend itself in that universe from almost any threat (it's glaring weakness in both Star Wars and Star Trek is the placement and static nature of the main heavy weapon batteries, which make overwhelming the ship with a large number of vessels easier; the lighter weapons I believe are turret mounted, which is almost opposite of any US Navy or other terrestrial modern warship that mounts heavy guns), and it's hyperdrive allows the ship to travel anywhere in short order (all you may would need is a new sensor suite tuned for exploration purposes, leaving the existing sensor systems in place for combat purposes). That same speed and firepower would also make the ISD the ultimate response force for defensive purposes, or as the vanguard for an offensive operation.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Vohu Manah wrote: placement and static nature of the main heavy weapon batteries, which make overwhelming the ship with a large number of vessels easier
Consider it a friendly comment at this point: people here don't like uninformed statements of "fact":

Heavy weapons in turrets
And on the ISD-II subclass
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

My mistake on the ISD heavy guns being turret mounted, I apologize.

However, an ISD can't bring them to bear like a Iowa-Class battleship can, only a handful of batteries at a time could be brought to bear based on the approach angle of the target. You may call it a bad comparison, since one is a starship and the other is a surface warship, I think it is fair when talking about the overall deployment of the heavy guns. It could be argued that the ISD's heavy TL batteries are arranged well until you consider that the rear of the ship, as well as ventral side, are almost completely outside their arc of fire (if the Iowa were a starship as is, it would also have the ventral side weapon placement flaw). Your pictures do show that to a degree (on an Iowa, at least one of the ship's heavy weapon batteries can be fired on you at any time, even rearward).

Iowa Class Battleship
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

How would the UFP use this newfound treasure? Would they use it to travel the galaxy, explore new places, or would the Fed use its new war force to help conquer their new neighbors in the GQ and DQ? Please keep an open mind about the things I ask of you, such as the belief that the Federation can fully understand all the systems and all things aboard the ships, along with being able to command the ship and all ground/space forces with the full understanding of the systems.
I see a strong chunk of Starfleet pushing to use their new toy on the Borg, to bitch slap them once and for all. Hunt down and destroy as many of the 'transwarp hubs' as they could to limit and even contain the Borg.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Your link doesn't work. I like this one. And of course the Iowa would have a ventral gun problem in space as is. The ventral surface is meant to be underwater where guns don't exactly work too well. Its kind of a given. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Vohu Manah wrote:My mistake on the ISD heavy guns being turret mounted, I apologize.

However, an ISD can't bring them to bear like a Iowa-Class battleship can, only a handful of batteries at a time could be brought to bear based on the approach angle of the target. You may call it a bad comparison, since one is a starship and the other is a surface warship, I think it is fair when talking about the overall deployment of the heavy guns. It could be argued that the ISD's heavy TL batteries are arranged well until you consider that the rear of the ship, as well as ventral side, are almost completely outside their arc of fire (if the Iowa were a starship as is, it would also have the ventral side weapon placement flaw). Your pictures do show that to a degree (on an Iowa, at least one of the ship's heavy weapon batteries can be fired on you at any time, even rearward).

Iowa Class Battleship
wrong. an ISD can pitch it's nose down and present it's dorsal profile bringing all of its heavy turrets to bear.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
atkindave
Youngling

Post by atkindave »

The analogy of a ISD to a battleship is a good one. Bear in mind that Battleships were designed to "cross the T." Dreadnaughts are made to bring all of their big guns and half of their secondaries to bear on one side or other, not both, and not front or rear (although those possibilities exist in dire combat). I am aware that some Dreadnaughts are configured with main gun side turrets that cannot swivel to the other side. This still allows 8/10 guns to fire on one side. I have not seen a picture of any dreadnaught firing guns to both sides at once, or to the front or rear.

The idea was that the ship can control it's own bearing relative to a target long before that target comes into range. This is, if anything, even more true in space.

The big guns don't need to be all over the ship.
"Ogres are not like cakes"
Shrek
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

Burak Gazan wrote:You say they cannot build anything Imperial-tech; does this mean at some point the ship is going to run into a consumables problem with Tibanna Gas and Hypermatter fuel? As well as spare parts for the starfighters, shuttles, and landing barges, etc etc.

Plus, you'd need to spend time training the pilots of the support ships and fighters to be stick-and-rudder men again, instead of pilot-by-typing :wink:
What I meant by not being able to build Imperial stuff was no building more weapons, droids, ect. But they could use the already existing tech, ie. bacta tubes, droids, ect. as long as they were on the ship, but they cannot replicate the technology.

And I said that all the people would already have the training and stuff to do their jobs.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

In other words, they have the knowledge, but not the infrastructure.

I'd think that the Feds would use the ISD to slag the Borg, after which they'd pull it back to Earth as a defense platform.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Can someone eliminate the double-post of adkindave? :roll:
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Ok then; so what about the matter of consumables? That really seems to be the only long-term concern operating the ship. Keeping it under wraps might be difficult, since a starship of this capability would drastically alter the balance of power in the galaxy. (maybe the section 31 idea isnt so hot ;) )

Perhaps making a showcase tour of the federation with the attached note "mess with us NOW at your peril" aimed at her enemies would be more useful. The only problem I see would be finding the captain for this ship -- the feds have never ever operated a ship of this amount of firepower, so caution would be advised

(eg, somewhere between finger-shaker and berserker-liquidator, but definitely no diplomat-types ala Picard :) )
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

Food can be replaced but what do you people think about the Feds being able to refuel it?
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

That was what I was wondering about. Maybe a crash course in Imperial Propulsion 101 might get them up to speed, at least as far as obtaining the required fuels?
atkindave
Youngling

Post by atkindave »

Tribun wrote:Can someone eliminate the double-post of adkindave? :roll:
I apologize. You may all punish me.
"Ogres are not like cakes"
Shrek
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Marina did this in her first SWvST fanfic :D
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

phongn wrote:Marina did this in her first SWvST fanfic :D
Is it on here? And which one is it?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Vohu Manah wrote:My mistake on the ISD heavy guns being turret mounted, I apologize.

Iowa Class Battleship
wrong. an ISD can pitch it's nose down and present it's dorsal profile bringing all of its heavy turrets to bear.
Doesn't help agianst targets "below" you.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Doesn't help agianst targets "below" you.
In space "below" is a matter of rotation.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Kerneth
Jedi Knight

Post by Kerneth »

So you roll ship if they're below you.

Besides, while the inability to bring a large number of guns to bear on certain angles may be an issue in the Star Wars universe, it really isn't in Star Trek, where even the anti-snubfighter weapons pack sufficient punch to deal with most enemy capital ships.
"The best part of losing your mind is not missing it."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Kerneth wrote:So you roll ship if they're below you.

Besides, while the inability to bring a large number of guns to bear on certain angles may be an issue in the Star Wars universe, it really isn't in Star Trek, where even the anti-snubfighter weapons pack sufficient punch to deal with most enemy capital ships.
Star Trek has no snubfighters. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

so the laws of physics somehow change in star trek?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Darth_Zod wrote:

so the laws of physics somehow change in star trek?
Why laws of physics should change? When your anti-snubfighter weapons, which is widely distributed on your hull, could destroy enemy capital ships at a glance, you don't need to maneuver your ship to aim the big guns at them, since you hardly need big guns at all.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Haven't you people ever watched Star Trek? If the Federation got their hands on an ISD, they would either:

1) Fly it into a black hole because such a destructive weapon should not be allowed to exist.

2) Give it to the Daystrom Institute for "scientific research", which means that it will never be seen again and nothing useful will ever come out of it.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html