Effect of subspace weapons on the Empire's warships

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Effect of subspace weapons on the Empire's warships

Post by Sarevok »

What effect would a subspace weapon have on an Imperial starship ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Likely jack shit since Imperial warships don't have warp cores to draw in a subspace tear.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Likely jack shit since Imperial warships don't have warp cores to draw in a subspace tear.
But they do have subspace sensors and communications equipment.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

evilcat4000 wrote:But they do have subspace sensors and communications equipment.
Are you expecting for the weapon to disable them? It wouldn't matter as the form of communications is through the holonet.~Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:But they do have subspace sensors and communications equipment.
Are you expecting for the weapon to disable them? It wouldn't matter as the form of communications is through the holonet.~Jason
Not exactly. TESB and AOTC shows direct Hyperwave communication, real time. that is something different than holo-net.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Losing subspace sensors and comm equipment would effect an imperial warship as they still have hyperspace and EM sensors.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Damn typos. The previous post should read :

Losing subspace sensors and comm equipment would not effect an imperial warship as they still have hyperspace and EM sensors.[/quote]
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Tribun wrote:Not exactly. TESB and AOTC shows direct Hyperwave communication, real time. that is something different than holo-net.
The HoloNet, which was used by Darth Vader to contact the Emperor in TESB during the asteroid field chase, uses thousands of satellites throughout the galaxy to offer instantaneous, real-time communications with anyone anywhere in the Empire.

Hyperwave transmitters, on the other hand, instead simply use a really powerful signal that sends itself across the galaxy, still offering real-time communications. Depending on size of the hyperwave transmitter it may allow for galactic scale communications (the ones aboard TradeFed Core Ships) or a much smaller range (Obi-Wan's starfighter in AOTC). To the best of my knowledge, Imperial warships use the HoloNet and shy away from hyperwave transmitters.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

How about an Omega Bomb?

Omega particles DESTROY subspace...what effect would be to hyperspace technology?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

They'd probably need to bring in communication ships to keep in long range contact with smaller Imperial vessels or equip all fo them with transcievers.

That's about it.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Well, since Fed computers would be incapable to decrypt Imperial decryption, they could even use the insecure hyperwave communication in the ST galaxy. (We know, that all ships HAVE hyperwave communication, they only not want to use it) The olny thing the Feds would get would be uncrackable gibberish....
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

I meant "encoded".
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Effect of subspace weapons on the Empire's warships

Post by Stormbringer »

evilcat4000 wrote:What effect would a subspace weapon have on an Imperial starship ?
It'd probably mess with short range FTL comms and at least some of their FTL sensors. In short, it's not going to do much that intensive jamming already does to them and it won't have any significant effect on their combat capability.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

evilcat4000 wrote:
As I recall there was a single referance to subspace sensors being used in SW, 25,000 years ago in the time of Zim the Despot. The wording was also such as to suggest that they where long out of service.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

In the Thrawn trilogy, they talk about subspace radio as the primary means of coordination for Imperial ships.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Tribun wrote:Well, since Fed computers would be incapable to decrypt Imperial decryption,
Prove it
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Ender wrote:
Tribun wrote:Well, since Fed computers would be incapable to decrypt Imperial decryption,
Prove it
I never said that I saw this as a factum (the "would"). But I assume it simply ~500 years of computer evolution compared to ~30.000+ years of computer evolution.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Make this computer evolution in a hostile environment.
The fact that we know the SW galaxy has quite a strong capitalist fraction and lots of parties enemy to each other lets us assume they developed means to protect their secrets, also on a computer. We furthermore know that a small multipurpose computer like the one installed in a R2 unit has enough power to store the blueprints for the Death Star or calculate hyperjumps.
This, together with the fact that common sense tells us the SW people aren't stupid, lets us assume that they are able to use encryption schemes in dimensions the Feddies will have problems to break.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Enola Straight wrote:How about an Omega Bomb?

Omega particles DESTROY subspace...what effect would be to hyperspace technology?
Um ... nothing.

Ender: Even if the Federation could somehow decrypt the hyperwave datastream, what are they going to do with it? They still have to demux the stream into audio and video streams, then decode those streams. It'd be like managing to decrypt the CSS encoding on a DVD MPEG-2 stream, but not having an MPEG-2 player, or any knowledge of what MPEG-2 is.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:
As I recall there was a single referance to subspace sensors being used in SW, 25,000 years ago in the time of Zim the Despot. The wording was also such as to suggest that they where long out of service.
Subspace comms were mentioned in HTTE, WEG, and the EGW&T. Subspace sensors were still in use well into the NJO (Han Solo used one set on the Falcon in scanning an asteroid field - and the Falcon's sensors were supposed to be as good as any New Republic picket/recon ship's)
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

True, but "sub"space can have many definitions. It just means some form of space different from normal space. Hyperspace can probably be defined as "subspace" as it is supposedly the use of another dimension as a shortcut through normal space. It doesn't neccessarily mean that its the same type of "subspace" as Star Trek's.

Since Star Trek's subspace transmissions go sooooo much slower than those of Star Wars, I'd say they were much different.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

:?: I was pretty sure that the general consensus was to treat them as the same thing to avoid confusion. Could be wrong, I'm rather new at this. But I'm pretty sure I remember reading that on this board.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Praxis wrote:True, but "sub"space can have many definitions. It just means some form of space different from normal space. Hyperspace can probably be defined as "subspace" as it is supposedly the use of another dimension as a shortcut through normal space. It doesn't neccessarily mean that its the same type of "subspace" as Star Trek's.
We're never told what subspace is in Star Trek. It's little more than a technobabble buzzword that gets them out of sticky situations and defies any inconvenient laws of physics. Hyperspace and subspace in Star Wars are clearly two distinct things, and they're never used interchangeably.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Assuming that subspace in Star Trek is the same phenomenon as subspace in Star Wars, then the use of subspace weaponry against Imperial warships would likely disrupt local communications and coordination, and disable some sensor equipment. However, as the Empire is not wholly reliant on subspace communications and subspace sensors, this would be a strategically minor consideration, as the Empire would retain its holowave, radiowave, and other non-subspace communications and sensor systems.

PUBLIUS
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

In Trek, subspace is basically the all-encompassing term for all non-normal spaces. The aliens from the TNG episode "Schisms" came from some tertiary manifold of subspace, implying that subspace is whatever our own spacetime continuum is a subset of. By Trek definition, hyperspace would be some deep level or other of subspace. Whether or not the Omega particle would damage hyperspace is unknowable without a Ph.D. in imaginary pseudophysics or being a writer of an actual crossover.

(Fun mathematical note: a hyperspace is a subspace of one less dimension that the vector space of which the hyperspace is a subspace of.)