First Post / Background Empire - Federation

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

PzGren
Redshirt

First Post / Background Empire - Federation

Post by PzGren »

First of all, I want to say "Hello" to all of you!
I accidentally came across this site, and found out, that it was rather interesting. I greatly appreciate the work to keep this site in shape.
My first thoughts concerning the ST vs SW scenario was the following:
Regarding to the position in the story to be told , Federation an Empire had totally different roles to play.
SW:
The Empire had the role of the evil superpower which was nearly impossible to overcome, outfitted with superweapons (Deathstar). It had to be an worthy adversery for a band of dauntless companions on a righteous campain to bring justice to the galaxy.

ST:
The Federation, on the other hand, was "merely" the background organisation that sent the Enterprise on its mission. Would the Federation be as powerful and large in numbers as the Empire, no-one could stand against them. Therefore it wouldn't be adequate regarding its role in the story.

Conclusion:
The Empire is superior to the Federation. ANH would be less spectacular, if Luke roamed throug a Galaxy-Class, trying to push the red button in main-engineering, and TNG would be quite boring, if every planet that seemed to be hostile would be either invaded by a Stormtrooper- Division or just rendered into a debris-field by the USS Deathstar. I hope I made my point clear, withouf offending too many of you.

But when we take the Q-Continuum in account, and they decide to help the Federation...
And in the twilight hours of the morning,
Before the dawn greets the day,
On freedom's horizon you will find us,
The sons of liberty.

God,
grant peace to this world -
for the warriors.
Amen!
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

You know, I can't really think of how to respond to this without belitteling the heck out of you. Where's Alyeska, he's good at educating newbies...
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

Just let me have it :wink:
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: First Post / Background Empire - Federation

Post by Darksider »

PzGren wrote: But when we take the Q-Continuum in account, and they decide to help the Federation...

They won't
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

PzGren wrote:Just let me have it :wink:
Last time I did that the guy never came back.

Basically, your post is a giant "Duh". Yes, each is the way it is because it is what the story dictates. You make the error of assuming superior numbers automatically garuntees victory, though in this case it does happen to be correct.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

They might want to protect their favorite pets :D [/quote]
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Darksider wrote:
PzGren wrote: But when we take the Q-Continuum in account, and they decide to help the Federation...

They won't
You know the way they helped the Federation during the Borg invasion....oh wait they didn;t.

Surely they must have tried to restore the Timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise? No? Damn.

OK OK, they definately helped the Federation during the Dominion War right?

Without getting too sarcastic you see the point. There is no instance in the shows or movies where the Q step in to help the Federation in any way when they are in trouble. When the Q get involved its usually to serve one of their purposes and not some altruistic love of the Federation. Remember Q's words at the end of All Good Things. Humanity is always on trial. It would serve no purpose of the Q intervened.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Why did you quote me?
I already know that.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Darksider wrote:Why did you quote me?
I already know that.
I was supporting your position

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

PzGren wrote:They might want to protect their favorite pets :D
Except they never intervene in any other threat.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

I have nothing to add to your post, or any comments to it. but one thing I want to ask you.
Your name ,PzGren. Is this your short form for "Panzer-Grenadier"?
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

Yes, it is, yes I am
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Is it a indicator from were you come?
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

Indeed. I also updated my profile, so the guessing can stop.
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Its okay. You can put München. We'll understand.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Why the Name?
(Schon Gedient, mußt noch, oder wie?)
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

Although possibly being flamed on this, I'm studying Aeronautic- and Space- Engineering at the University of the German Federal Armed Forces Munich. I am officer with the Panzergrenadiere (MechInf), serving 12 years, of wich 4 have already passed.
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Why would you be flamed for that? Thats pretty cool. I expect a lot of people here envy you.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
PzGren
Redshirt

Post by PzGren »

I roamed through the "hatemail" section (quite amusing), and most "offenders" start off by introducing themselves as academics of various kinds.
Btw, it's not always cool, it's rather stress. We have trimesters instead of semesters, that means 9 months of lectures, 3 moths for hands-on training and learning for the exams. I didn't mention holidasy for a good reason :wink: .
The sons of liberty.

God,
for the warriors.
Amen!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Tribun, leave the chit-chat for PMs, please.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

PzGren wrote:I roamed through the "hatemail" section (quite amusing), and most "offenders" start off by introducing themselves as academics of various kinds.
Btw, it's not always cool, it's rather stress. We have trimesters instead of semesters, that means 9 months of lectures, 3 moths for hands-on training and learning for the exams. I didn't mention holidasy for a good reason :wink: .
It is not the academics, which were primiry featured in the hate mail section. Most of them are wannabe-academics, with nothing but hot air on thier side. After what you said, you certainly fall NOT in this category.

Welcome here on SD.net!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

PzGren wrote:First of all, I want to say "Hello" to all of you!
Hello!
PzGren wrote: I accidentally came across this site, and found out, that it was rather interesting. I greatly appreciate the work to keep this site in shape.
My first thoughts concerning the ST vs SW scenario was the following:
Regarding to the position in the story to be told , Federation an Empire had totally different roles to play.
SW:
The Empire had the role of the evil superpower which was nearly impossible to overcome, outfitted with superweapons (Deathstar). It had to be an worthy adversery for a band of dauntless companions on a righteous campain to bring justice to the galaxy.

ST:
The Federation, on the other hand, was "merely" the background organisation that sent the Enterprise on its mission. Would the Federation be as powerful and large in numbers as the Empire, no-one could stand against them. Therefore it wouldn't be adequate regarding its role in the story.

Conclusion:
The Empire is superior to the Federation. ANH would be less spectacular, if Luke roamed throug a Galaxy-Class, trying to push the red button in main-engineering, and TNG would be quite boring, if every planet that seemed to be hostile would be either invaded by a Stormtrooper- Division or just rendered into a debris-field by the USS Deathstar. I hope I made my point clear, withouf offending too many of you.
That would be a valid but unscientific answer to the versus question. We generally avoid trying to determine the outcome of versus debates by invoking storytelling conventions.
PzGren wrote:But when we take the Q-Continuum in account, and they decide to help the Federation...
1) As others have noted, the Q have no motivation to assist the Federation. They have, in fact, generally demonstrated hostility toward the Federation.

2) Invoking Q on the Federation side is generally regarded as an admission of defeat. The debate has ceased to be about the Federation vs the Empire and turned into a debate about the Q vs the Empire.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Has there ever been a serious attempt at debating a Q/Empire matchup? Or are the powers of the Q so out there that any real calculations would just be foolish?

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Stravo wrote:Has there ever been a serious attempt at debating a Q/Empire matchup? Or are the powers of the Q so out there that any real calculations would just be foolish?
Well, we can analyze Q's shown abilities, but the last time we did that, I vaguely recall a flamepit of a thread..
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

PzGren wrote:I roamed through the "hatemail" section (quite amusing), and most "offenders" start off by introducing themselves as academics of various kinds.
They ended up on teh hate mail page after multiple exchanges with the owner of the webpage. They ended up there because they repeatedly demonstrated that they were complete morons and their claims of "superior education" didn't mean jack/were false. You have done none of this. Don't worry about it (yet :) ).
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart