DWvsATJ commentary thread.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

SirNitram wrote:The 'okay it doesnt vaporize but you cant explain it either so i r teh win' is quite common(He even used a 'cool mist' excuse to try and keep vaporization calc's) of him.

The obsession over a bent rod of durasteel is, in fact, one of the more amusing pieces of total bullshit G2k came up with. See, he relies on us not having read the actual passage. It's a rod of durasteel, whereas the neutronium-impregnated uber-armour is duraarmor. Easy to miss, if you let him mislead you.
Actually, I'm aware of several sources that indicate that durasteel and dura-armor are of similar composition (EG Cracken's Threat Dossier.)

We should note that he neglected the fact that Mike has estimated durasteel density at a minimum of 20,000 kg*m^3 based on conservative estimates of IG-88's dimensions and the stated fact he was "multi ton".
The rest is simply being condescending(He seems to have read alot of DS's personal attacks on Mike and taken them to heart) and evading the point. Nothing we haven't seen before. He's only unique in his ridiculously long pauses; I assume he's either in correspondance with Darkstar, or furiously studying DS's webpage for possible outs.
What I find interesting is that he's using tensile strength to argue for weak thermal properties. Even if we allow that this material somehow bends easily or can be even literally ripped apart, what bearing does this have on the ease or difficulty with which it is melted or vaporized, both of which are relevant to blaster firepower!
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Well, I tried to do a response to his post, but I just gave up about 1/4th of the way through.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Worlds Spanner
Jedi Knight

Post by Worlds Spanner »

anarchistbunny wrote:Well, I tried to do a response to his post, but I just gave up about 1/4th of the way through.
Mostly there's nothing to say that isn't a repitition, which will elict a nice whine from him.
If you don't ask, how will you know?
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

anarchistbunny wrote:Well, I tried to do a response to his post, but I just gave up about 1/4th of the way through.
Yeah, ita a LOT of bullshit. When I pasted it into Word to run a spellcheck, it registered at 11 pages, and I didn't even go into alot of detail rebutting his stuff.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I just read through his turgid response and all I an say is that the kid has no clue what he's gotten himself into. I shook my head or simply laughed out loud several times.

One of my faves is "Name one time Stormtoopers used their blasters to blast through anything and NO the DS1 is not a good example because the door was still intact" OK what the FUCK?! How did the Stormtroopers get THROUGH the door if it was still intact? To quote Tyler Durdon "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." You can't just declare something so ass backwards as fact. And what about the opening moments of ANH with the Tantive IV's airlock? What an ass. :evil:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Worlds Spanner
Jedi Knight

Post by Worlds Spanner »

But we didn't see both sides of the airlock! They probably used explosives! Lots of them!

You have to prove that they only used blasters!

:shock:
:roll:
etc.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Connor MacLeod wrote: What I find interesting is that he's using tensile strength to argue for weak thermal properties. Even if we allow that this material somehow bends easily or can be even literally ripped apart, what bearing does this have on the ease or difficulty with which it is melted or vaporized, both of which are relevant to blaster firepower!
I noticed that, too.

That doesn't surprise me, though...he's obviously a no-math kind of guy, and believes that "toughness" covers all of the relevant bases :roll:

To this end, he tried to speculate about tritanium's thermal tolerances based on dust particle impacts. He quickly qualified that claim by noting that the nav deflectors take care of such things.

In spite of that recognition, he went on to say, "But the hull must still be tough!" That's a text-book example of begging the question, especially when we have reason to believe that the hull materials don't need to stop dust or micro-meteroids.

That they could is a red herring, since it demonstrates precisely dick about their melting point, latent heat of vaporization, etc.

It's pretty fuckin' dumb, but that's one of the kid's more original contentions...much of the rest just reads like a bad re-run of trollish arguments and tactics we've all no doubt heard countless times over the years:

--turbolasers are lasers because they're called lasers

--phasers really are DET weapons because they make stuff disappear!

--the EU is non-canon and inadmissable for our purposes

--the EU is the only source for blasters, turbolasers et al. of great firepower

--his own willingness to pick through the EU when he believes it suits his purposes

--episode name citations (even when wrong...there is no VGR episode by the title "Insurrection Alpha") are sufficient; quotes are superfluous

--wall of ignorance: tell him anything, no matter how truthful, and he's too damn stubborn to recognize when he's bested

--blatant straw man fallacies; e.g., his distortion of Mike's position to mean that "phasers can't penetrate metal," summarily "rebuffed" by the laughable example of making a kilogram cooking pot disappear. (Special note: he claims Saavik, who wasn't in Trek 6, did this. That and his erroneous episode title lead me to...)

--shit knowledge of the subject matter. Even today, many Trekkies get the most basic details wrong...it's not always relevant, but indicative of their general ineptitude nonetheless

--ferrocrete, like concrete, is "easy" to shatter because it's "primitive" (or somesuch...that's the implication of His Lamebrainedness' claims)

--argue from the dictionary/try to quibble about semantics. Trekkies and Fivers would have little to do if denied this cheesy route

--thinks he's special/intelligent/brings a fresh perspective to things. HA!

And so on, and so forth. I have to commend Lord Mike for having the patience to wade through that junk. After being in the vs. community for 6 years, I find myself almost physically incapable of exposing myself to quite that much nonsense anymore.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I hate stating the obvious but Mike jusy POWNED the little turd, complete with pretty pictures. It was fucking SWEET reading that reponse unlike the low points of the Wong debates with Darkstar which were painful to read because of Dorkstar's inability to be brief or make a point.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Anyone going to give a guess of the last two pics? I never actually dived into these things but do the two pics refute that the building materials are weak?~Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Stravo wrote:I hate stating the obvious but Mike jusy POWNED the little turd, complete with pretty pictures. It was fucking SWEET reading that reponse unlike the low points of the Wong debates with Darkstar which were painful to read because of Dorkstar's inability to be brief or make a point.
Personally, I howled at that picture pointing out Dust and Concrete :D
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:
Stravo wrote:I hate stating the obvious but Mike jusy POWNED the little turd, complete with pretty pictures. It was fucking SWEET reading that reponse unlike the low points of the Wong debates with Darkstar which were painful to read because of Dorkstar's inability to be brief or make a point.
My personal fave was the intact door arguiment that irked me so much. The picture says it all and makes him look like such a lying little sack of shit

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Stravo wrote:
Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:
My personal fave was the intact door arguiment that irked me so much. The picture says it all and makes him look like such a lying little sack of shit
On a mildly related note, does anybody have a guess as to how thick that door is? It'd be interesting to work out how much kick would be needed to blow it apart like that.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Anyone going to give a guess of the last two pics? I never actually dived into these things but do the two pics refute that the building materials are weak?~Jason
Well, it certainly proves the Docking Bay's not made of dirt. Dirt doesn't shine white, and you can't sculpt it into those shapes. I can't think of any other off the top of my head. Then again, I've been up for a long time, and I know I'm not thinking totally clearly.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Worlds Spanner wrote:But we didn't see both sides of the airlock! They probably used explosives! Lots of them!

etc.
Course, EU sources have already mentioned high energy blasters being used to cut open doors for boarding, while there is no mention of explosives. So even if he tired that bit its already dead.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Worlds Spanner wrote:But we didn't see both sides of the airlock! They probably used explosives! Lots of them!

etc.
Course, EU sources have already mentioned high energy blasters being used to cut open doors for boarding, while there is no mention of explosives. So even if he tired that bit its already dead.
NTM dialogue from ANH:

"Lock the door."

"And hope they don't have blasters."

"That isn't very reassuring."

AJT has just had his ass handed to him. There's really no other way to put things. ALL of his arguments were shown to be bullshit, right down to his "Mike Wong does everything that I don't do" approach to debating.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The Dark wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:Anyone going to give a guess of the last two pics? I never actually dived into these things but do the two pics refute that the building materials are weak?~Jason
Well, it certainly proves the Docking Bay's not made of dirt. Dirt doesn't shine white, and you can't sculpt it into those shapes. I can't think of any other off the top of my head. Then again, I've been up for a long time, and I know I'm not thinking totally clearly.
the only other materials that would work are sandstones and granites. plain dirt make a losy building material.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

"The metal door which began to move aside was as thick as her body- as if, she mused bitteryl, they were afraid she might break through anything less massive with her bare hands." ANH novelization page 83

"Turning his pistol to maximum and hoping it wouldn't melt in his hand before it broke through, he opened fire on the door. When the weapon became too hot to hold, he tossed it from hand to hand. As he did so the smoke had time to clear, and he saw twith some surprise that the door had been blown away. ANH novel, page 144
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon, page 208
"Beneath the long thick plumage of his stubby left arm- a vestigial wing useless for flight long ages before his people had chipped their first crude stone tools-Fybot wore a small energy-projector that was something of an advance on Bassi Vobah's openly sported blaster. Half the military weapon's size, it had six times the power, coming close, in theory, to one of the modules of Lando's four-barreled quad gun. The projector was a Service Special and a closely guarded secret, even from the regular military."

"Even one handed, the officer was a good shot with a blaster rifle. No sooner had the black shape started flying toward him than he began to pour fire into it, melting the plastoid bottles and instantly superheating several dozen liters of water. Billowing vapor filled the corridor."

Tattooine Ghost page 226
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

The thing I find hilarious (Aside from Mikes illustration of dirt vs. concrete ROFLMMFAO!!!) is that nearly EVERY SINGLE one of the little fuckwads arguments are addressed on Mike's Site i.e. turbolaser commentaries. I love how he tries to justify that turbolaser must be laser because they are called that.
I surmise the actual name of turbolasers are unweildly and would take too long to say, much in the same way in the military We never said 5.56 MM air-cooled, belt-fed, gas-operated automatic weapon that fires from the open-bolt position, we call it an M249 or, more simply a SAW. While it could cut a small tree down, I doubt anyone would want a sofa or hutch where the carpenter used this as a tool.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah well...he came and went...and did provide some amusement.

Though now looking at this latest of Mike slamming the little twat; gotta wonder where his bluster about showing us idiots that he knows the truth and will shine as a beacon of logic?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Stravo wrote:My personal fave was the intact door arguiment that irked me so much. The picture says it all and makes him look like such a lying little sack of shit
Although it isn't nearly as impressive as the door example, Leia blasting the grating to get into the trash compactor is another example of blasters being used to blast apart obsticles.

Once in there, Han is the second person to try blasting through the door. It's clear that everyone there expects blasters to get through most normal metallic doors.
Later...
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Ouch...

Ouch, Ouch, OUTCH!

AJT is relly...well...you can guess what I was about to say.

I really hope, that when this is over, that Mike will put it in his hate mail page. This wouls be a excellent addition to it.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

etc.
Actually, Trektards really used tto argue this. Now you tell me; you have an 5 by 5 enclosed elevator with about 4 stormtroopers in it. And you want to use an explosive to blast open the elevator doors...

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Since no-else seems to have mentioned it, AJT can't even get his Trek facts straight. Saavik doesn't appear at all in ST:VI let alone phaser something. I beleive AJT is referring to Valeris.
Worlds Spanner
Jedi Knight

Post by Worlds Spanner »

Lord Poe wrote:Actually, Trektards really used tto argue this. Now you tell me; you have an 5 by 5 enclosed elevator with about 4 stormtroopers in it. And you want to use an explosive to blast open the elevator doors...
Hmmm, I'd say that about sums it up.