Trekkie Dishonesty

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

You never heard of Omicron Theta? He claimed that, since Han Solo said that his ship can "make .5 past lightspeed", this means that hyperspace is only 1.5 C. Since this would mean that it would take years to fly to another star system - which is clearly contradicted by the movies - he insisted that Solo's little blurb meant that the entire "galaxy" was, in fact, only a single star system, and the dozen or so planets seen or mentioned in the movies all occupied that system (nevermind that references to numerous "systems" were abundant).

OT was a classic example of a Trekkie making the dumbest conclusions and then making the worst rationalizations to make his conclusions work.
The Great and Malignant
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Omicron Theta was one of the funniest trolls ever. I have never seen his equal in coming up with (there is no word for this level of stupidty) reasons ST would defeat SW. Funny but sad to know there are people who belive this stuff
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Of course, OT's silly antics led to the eventual discovery of ".5 Past Lightspeed" brand coffee... the infamous Han Solo quote he kept drumming up was simply referring to the Falcon being equipped with a coffeemaker. :D

Furthermore, the giant spheres atop an ISD are the containers for the ships' store of said coffee.
The Great and Malignant
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Ah OT. He helped me created 71 yottaton ISD broadsides. :D
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saddly I never ran into this guy, Any other tradmarks?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Was Omicron Theta the one that said that the second sun in Tatooines sky was a subspace anomaly, or was that Breen?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Ah OT. He helped me created 71 yottaton ISD broadsides. :D
Explain this to me, I only got those when I improperly scaled WEG...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Was Omicron Theta the one that said that the second sun in Tatooines sky was a subspace anomaly, or was that Breen?
That was Breen.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Mr Bean wrote:Saddly I never ran into this guy, Any other tradmarks?
"The Federation has 78,000,000 warp capable warships!"

When I think about it, I just can't believe that he was for real. He must have been someone screwing around.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:
Two words : SOUND CANNON. How does sound work?
They could send a really high powered bass signal over the communicator band, blow out all the bridge speakers. Givcen how fragile Fed technology seems to be, there'd be sparks and people falling over all over the place .
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Saddly I never ran into this guy, Any other tradmarks?
"The Federation has 78,000,000 warp capable warships!"

When I think about it, I just can't believe that he was for real. He must have been someone screwing around.
ROFL! Was that from when he extrapolated the size of the Federation fleet assembled in First Contact at Sector 001 to the entire Federation, stating that there were x number of Federation vessels per LY or whatever? As if the fleet concentration around Earth during a Borg attack was typical and that Fed fleet distribution is uniform?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

SirNitram wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Ah OT. He helped me created 71 yottaton ISD broadsides. :D

Basically he said there were only 600 Imperial ships and it took 300 for the DS firepower. So I calculated that and vola!

Here's the link http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showt ... adid=19222
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
SirNitram wrote:

Basically he said there were only 600 Imperial ships and it took 300 for the DS firepower. So I calculated that and vola!

Here's the link http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showt ... adid=19222
You haven't heard the one about Endor being the ENTIRE Imperial fleet?

Now imagine what half a starfleet could do if you started with that...
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Wesley's small tractor beam didn't follow this. Otherwise, he would have been killed by using it."

It could simply have projected a counterbalancing tractor beam. That still wouldn't take care of the massive problems of sound waves in space.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I didn't read the whole thread so i'm not sure if it was put here..

"The Enterprise-E can hold 600 quantum torpedoes."

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Shadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadow »

Eleas wrote:"Wesley's small tractor beam didn't follow this. Otherwise, he would have been killed by using it."

It could simply have projected a counterbalancing tractor beam. That still wouldn't take care of the massive problems of sound waves in space.
The tractor beam 8sed on the Enterprise could have used a shield to stop the vibrations. Sound waves can exist in starships in space.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"The tractor beam 8sed on the Enterprise could have used a shield to stop the vibrations."

As far as I know, it's impossible for a tractor beam to use a shield.

"Sound waves can exist in starships in space."

Yes, but they cannot propagate in vacuum, my dear fellow, which is what we were discussing.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe