federation vs the rebels

Post by master_yoda »

Its the movie rebels (ANH-ROTJ)
(not the new republic or anything)
can the Rebels win?
BlueExcalibur
Redshirt

Post by BlueExcalibur »

Yes. Even the Rebels have more military technology then the Feds. Plus they have real military training(from the people that defected) and stronger, faster ships.
"I have all the answers, but I never said they were right."
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Even if you assume the rebels have only the fleet seen in ROTJ, thats enough for a BDZ. Its questionable how the Feds would bring them to battle at all.

Even with fuel limits, they can jump anywhere in the galaxy after a hit to get fuel. If their fuel isn't refinable from natural resources with equipment availible aboard their ships, they still only need enough fuel for a BDZ on four or five planets before the federation will have no ability to wage war even by their own limited standards.

The Feds never had a prayer. Not that they pray, of course :)
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Godless Commies. :evil:
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I think the Rebels could do it, if we're assuming that they're at the point where the Mon Calamari pledged their ships to the cause (prior to that, the Rebel fleet was sorely lacking). It would take longer, of course (fewer ships), but it could be done.

If we're talking ANH-era fleet... well, then it's mostly bulk cruisers and fighters, with a few corvettes thrown in. These vessels lack the sheer volume of firepower that heavier ships do, and as such would be more vulnerable to Fed counterattack.
The Great and Malignant
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

LMSx wrote:Godless Commies. :evil:

:lol:
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: federation vs the rebels

Post by Rob Wilson »

master_yoda wrote:Its the movie rebels (ANH-ROTJ)
can the Rebels win?
Hate to rock the boat here, but why would they want to fight the Federation? Anyway they have their hands pretty much full evading the Empire without opening another battle front.
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Rob Wilson wrote:
can the Rebels win?
Hate to rock the boat here, but why would they want to fight the Federation? Anyway they have their hands pretty much full evading the Empire without opening another battle front.
They probably wouldn't,but I would just like to see if the Rebel scum could beat the communist feds.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

master_yoda wrote: They probably wouldn't,but I would just like to see if the Rebel scum could beat the communist feds.
I tend to agree that the rebels have their hands full, but the Federation *seems* to be an oppressive regime...

But since the rebellion is made up of people fighting for the freedom of their planets/sectors/families, there isn't really a reason for them to simply attack the Feds.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Rob Wilson wrote:
can the Rebels win?
That's a moot point. They're fighting, pure and simple. Motives are not necessary.

I bet the Rebels can fight even better than the Empire because they're flexable.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: Hate to rock the boat here, but why would they want to fight the Federation? Anyway they have their hands pretty much full evading the Empire without opening another battle front.
That's a moot point. They're fighting, pure and simple. Motives are not necessary.

I bet the Rebels can fight even better than the Empire because they're flexable.
Except it isn't a moot point, as now you have the Rebel Alliance fighting a war on two fronts, with no reason for the second front (against an enemy that seems to share their ideals too much for a ewar to kick off).

If it had been "Could the firepower, tech and personnel levels represented by the Rebel Alliance (of ANH - ROTJ) beat the Federation" Then you would have a point, but the Rebel Alliance itself has no reason nor ability to fight the Empire and the Feds.
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Rob Wilson wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: Hate to rock the boat here, but why would they want to fight the Federation? Anyway they have their hands pretty much full evading the Empire without opening another battle front.

Except it isn't a moot point, as now you have the Rebel Alliance fighting a war on two fronts, with no reason for the second front (against an enemy that seems to share their ideals too much for a ewar to kick off).

If it had been "Could the firepower, tech and personnel levels represented by the Rebel Alliance (of ANH - ROTJ) beat the Federation" Then you would have a point, but the Rebel Alliance itself has no reason nor ability to fight the Empire and the Feds.
Well what i said bascally means what you just said.I don't see the point of having to write all of that.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

master_yoda wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: Except it isn't a moot point, as now you have the Rebel Alliance fighting a war on two fronts, with no reason for the second front (against an enemy that seems to share their ideals too much for a ewar to kick off).

Well what i said bascally means what you just said.I don't see the point of having to write all of that.
No it doesn't as you specifically named the protaganists as the Rebels from the films. Not anyone else with their Weapons, ships, tech etc. And if it's the Rebel Alliance from the films, then they would very much need a reason.

Post by Guest »

Stark wrote:Even if you assume the rebels have only the fleet seen in ROTJ, thats enough for a BDZ. Its questionable how the Feds would bring them to battle at all.

Even with fuel limits, they can jump anywhere in the galaxy after a hit to get fuel. If their fuel isn't refinable from natural resources with equipment availible aboard their ships, they still only need enough fuel for a BDZ on four or five planets before the federation will have no ability to wage war even by their own limited standards.

What makes you an expert on the UFP limits. What if you have to BDZ all their primary planets, and colonies before they lose their ability to wage war? Where is your proof?
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Anonymous wrote:
Stark wrote:Even if you assume the rebels have only the fleet seen in ROTJ, thats enough for a BDZ. Its questionable how the Feds would bring them to battle at all.

What makes you an expert on the UFP limits. What if you have to BDZ all their primary planets, and colonies before they lose their ability to wage war? Where is your proof?
Destory Earth, Vulcan, Kronos Romulus and Remus. There that's five and no all the major powers are running around with no command structures. :P
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

snip

Hey Rob, I do trust you are keeping up to play on ASVS? not there is a hell of a lot going on at the moment...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stuart Mackey wrote:snip

Hey Rob, I do trust you are keeping up to play on ASVS? not there is a hell of a lot going on at the moment...
Yes of course, but it will be when I'm feeling better. This is a light warm up before i start going through the 6000+ posts waiting since I was last there. As fun as this has been, I don't really like Web boards, I'm having to go all over the place to keep track of new threads and such, whereas my newsreader keeps them all up front (I mean I've only posted 50+ comments here in 4 hrs, that's pitiful). This sort of board is nice to play with, but i think I'll only be a casual visitor, just dipping in as the mood takes me. As to ASVS I'll probably be back when I'm feeling 100% in a few days time.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:snip

Yes of course, but it will be when I'm feeling better. This is a light warm up before i start going through the 6000+ posts waiting since I was last there. As fun as this has been, I don't really like Web boards, I'm having to go all over the place to keep track of new threads and such, whereas my newsreader keeps them all up front (I mean I've only posted 50+ comments here in 4 hrs, that's pitiful). This sort of board is nice to play with, but i think I'll only be a casual visitor, just dipping in as the mood takes me. As to ASVS I'll probably be back when I'm feeling 100% in a few days time.
Sorry to hear your crook. I have the samething about web boards, but this one should be a damn sight better than another one we all know and love :twisted: . as to post numbers on ASVS, ever consider just reading the ones you are interested in and ignoring the rest? I couldnt handle trying to read everything..dont have the time either....
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Destory Earth, Vulcan, Kronos Romulus and Remus. There that's five and no all the major powers are running around with no command structures. :P
Not all of Starfleets command structure is on Earth, sure the top of the chain of command is their but they will still have admirals in other areas and they will still be able to maintain a command structure. [/quote]
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Not all of Starfleets command structure is on Earth, sure the top of the chain of command is their but they will still have admirals in other areas and they will still be able to maintain a command structure.
[/quote]

So by bdz earth all of the top admirals will be destroyed.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

master_yoda wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Not all of Starfleets command structure is on Earth, sure the top of the chain of command is their but they will still have admirals in other areas and they will still be able to maintain a command structure.
So by bdz earth all of the top admirals will be destroyed.[/quote]

Assuming that they are on Earth though. Destroying five planets and saying it's enough to cripple the UFP is unrealistic and unfounded.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
[/quote]

And yet an Admiral was going to take over the Federation and Starfleet by taking over Earth. What's that? Canon proof for my assertion and only speculation for yours... must suck to be you.
:P

Anyway I was only going with Straks worstcase argument, the 4-5 planets whereas they would probably be able to detroy more than that before SF could even rally a defence. Hit the named ones first and then go after the others before thy can react. mix that with strikes against ships in space and you have a dismantled and confused AQ not sure of which ways up.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: This sort of board is nice to play with, but i think I'll only be a casual visitor, just dipping in as the mood takes me. As to ASVS I'll probably be back when I'm feeling 100% in a few days time.
Sorry to hear your crook. I have the samething about web boards, but this one should be a damn sight better than another one we all know and love :twisted: . as to post numbers on ASVS, ever consider just reading the ones you are interested in and ignoring the rest? I couldnt handle trying to read everything..dont have the time either....
Well I like to see the trends and flow of the NG before I dive in, plus it stops me repeating what others have already covered if possible.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Assuming that they are on Earth though. Destroying five planets and saying it's enough to cripple the UFP is unrealistic and unfounded.
Saying the Feds can keep fighting and maintain their fleets without Earth, Starbase 1, Utopia Planitia, Antares etc is iffy itself. I'm not suggesting it would destroy the whole fleet, or its leadership; simply that what was left would be liable to surrender. Blitzkrieg.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Rob Wilson wrote: And yet an Admiral was going to take over the Federation and Starfleet by taking over Earth. What's that? Canon proof for my assertion and only speculation for yours... must suck to be you.
:P

Anyway I was only going with Straks worstcase argument, the 4-5 planets whereas they would probably be able to detroy more than that before SF could even rally a defence. Hit the named ones first and then go after the others before thy can react. mix that with strikes against ships in space and you have a dismantled and confused AQ not sure of which ways up.
An Admiral was simply gaining control of Earth, he wasn't trying to take over the entire Federation...in fact there is no evidence that he could have taken over the entire UFP by gaining control of Earth. There is also no evidence that he had control of everything Starfleet.

I'm not debating the fact that Rebel ships could probably destroy many planets, but claiming that 4-5 is enough to bring down the UFP just isn't realistic.