Yuuzhan Vong vs. Star Trek

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

TheDarkling wrote:Grand Admiral Thrawn: They could be staying beneath the notice inside the federation would be differcult with all their medicle scanners etc.

Star Wars has medical sensors too. Quite good. See SOTE
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yes but the federation can scan someones atomic structure from 300 Billion Km, The Feds also have telepaths wandering around all over the place.

The Federation is more organised (that he imps / NR) it seems to be better than SW because everyone is "on the grid" so to speak - if someone just appears from nowhere questions will be asked.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The only telepaths I've ever seen are the Betazoids (s/p). And they can't seem to do anything with it other than talk to each other.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

They can read minds - some better than others and even Troi the half Betazoid can sense deception so a full one will pick it off from a mile away, also one or two other telepathic races exist (not all are Fed members, but I can think of at least another one maybe 2.)

I just dont think Vong infiltration will work at least not without huge risk of cover being blown.
Last edited by TheDarkling on 2002-07-11 02:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

But the YV have a telepathic species to. The Warmaster, and if they created it, then they can create other telepathic weapons.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The point is moot. Nom Anor infiltrated to the SW galaxy to familiarize himself with the enemy, and to cause internecine warfare, distracting the existing governments from the coming invasion. He didn't get any maps. The YV didn't get their maps per se until they captured Obroa-skai (y'know, the "library world")
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Nom Anor wasnt the only Spy and how do we know he didnt at least give then an entry point and some surroundng area.

Remember they had a spy sitting in a huge observatory just itching for the invasion to begin so it seems likely they knew something abut the rim.

Yes they did pick up maps of the core from the library world but the invasion of the Rim was already planned in advance so they had a map of the rim (or at least that part of it) at least.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

David: Some telepathic cloak? hmm we havent seen such a device however and it couldnt be just a cloak but more of a projection that hid their actual thoughts.

However this still doesnt put them on the grid.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

TheDarkling wrote:David: Some telepathic cloak? hmm we havent seen such a device however and it couldnt be just a cloak but more of a projection that hid their actual thoughts.

However this still doesnt put them on the grid.

When did I say anything about a telepathic cloak?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well what sort of telepathic weapon were you thinking of then?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I assume that they would invade their minds and kill them that way. Or at least drive them insane. Like on Babylon 5.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Perhaps, but the only communications devices I noticed in Vector Prime are the villips, designed for personal communication. Hardly appropriate for sending maps. And Luke and Mara didn't find any other types of villip on Belkadan.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yes but that wouldnt be effective for a spy to use - if Teeps are dropping where ever the guy goes people are likely to cotton on.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

SCVN 2812 wrote:In fleet combat ships move VERY slow in order to avoid collissions because of the fact that they are often in tight formation. You see this in ROTJ, the Stardestroyers were barely even moving or manuvering and the Rebel fleet was only slightly more mobile. Close quarters combat is extremely dangerous for capital ships because of their sheer size and lack of manuverability, this is something true for Star Trek as well.
THe fight in ROTJ was considered point-blank combat, where the rebels thought that the Imperials would have any more experience fighting than they did. Normal battle range is significantly farther.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Strictly speaking, it seems that, on a cursory evaluation, the Yuuzhan Vong would actually be ill-equipped for fighting with the United Federation Starfleet. The Yuuzhan Vong warships lack both protective energy shields and armour, which are considerable deficiencies when one considers the favoured weapons of the Starfleet.

On at least one occasion, a Starfleet officer, one Captain Kathryn Janeway, has ordered the teleportation of a photon torpedo inside a target body. Ordinarily, this tactic would be ineffective against the Imperial Starfleet -- Imperial warships equip energy shields which undoubtedly would block the teleporters of the Federation's starships. However, as noted, the Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues lack energy shields -- dovin basals are not a constant source of protection, but rather defend limited sections, and only on an ad hoc basis. In other words, Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues would probably be unable to prevent a Federation starship from teleporting ordnance aboard and detonating it within the ship's bowels.

Secondly, as Mr Wong has noted, nucleonic disruption force-based weapons, like the Federation's phaser weapons, are highly material dependent. Against dense targets, such as an Imperial Star Destroyer's neutronium-impregnated armour, phasers would be significantly less effective than against targets such as rock or coral. Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues are consistently described as being of just such material -- in short, if a burst of phaserfire were to strike the hull of a Yuuzhan Vong vessel, it would be significantly more damaging than typically seen against vessels' hulls (most starfaring civilisations have the good sense to use denser, and sturdier materials than rocks for their outer hulls).

Publius
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Strictly speaking, it seems that, on a cursory evaluation, the Yuuzhan Vong would actually be ill-equipped for fighting with the United Federation Starfleet. The Yuuzhan Vong warships lack both protective energy shields and armour, which are considerable deficiencies when one considers the favoured weapons of the Starfleet."

That makes sense. They are

"On at least one occasion, a Starfleet officer, one Captain Kathryn Janeway, has ordered the teleportation of a photon torpedo inside a target body. Ordinarily, this tactic would be ineffective against the Imperial Starfleet -- Imperial warships equip energy shields which undoubtedly would block the teleporters of the Federation's starships. However, as noted, the Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues lack energy shields -- dovin basals are not a constant source of protection, but rather defend limited sections, and only on an ad hoc basis. In other words, Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues would probably be unable to prevent a Federation starship from teleporting ordnance aboard and detonating it within the ship's bowels."

That is a distinct possibility. In all fairness, the transporter is a finicky beast, and the mere prescence of a Dovin Basal singularity anywhere near the beam would likely scatter it.

"Secondly, as Mr Wong has noted, nucleonic disruption force-based weapons, like the Federation's phaser weapons, are highly material dependent. Against dense targets, such as an Imperial Star Destroyer's neutronium-impregnated armour, phasers would be significantly less effective than against targets such as rock or coral. Yuuzhan Vong warship-analogues are consistently described as being of just such material -- in short, if a burst of phaserfire were to strike the hull of a Yuuzhan Vong vessel, it would be significantly more damaging than typically seen against vessels' hulls (most starfaring civilisations have the good sense to use denser, and sturdier materials than rocks for their outer hulls)."

True. However, the yorik coral is supposedly capable of atmospheric entry. This would not affect the chain reaction, of course, but I would point out that this isn't normal coral.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Did everyone ignore the point I made about the YV ships being able to tear apart ST ships without firing a shot?
Secularism—since AD 80
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Yep I missed that post kindly repost it

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

On a ship to ship bases, it's like battlecruisers. Both have weapons that will destroy each other easily. ST shields will be blown away by Vong weapons, however NDF will murder the rock hulls of the Vong.

However the Vong will win. Speed and Numbers.
Bender and God, Futurama
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Precisely.
Secularism—since AD 80
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Darth Yoshi wrote:Precisely.

Of course, the Federation may captulate after entire worlds are killed or vongafied..
Bender and God, Futurama
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Wouldn't capitulation just make the "vongafication" even worse? Then they'll have full run of your planets, and their contempt for surrendering.
Secularism—since AD 80
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The Vong are punks - all the feds would have to do is spray nanoprobe or some anti organic radiation and its case closed.

The vong only beat he NR because they gave them half the galaxy before they began to fight - the Feds would show up level the planet where they were growiung their ships and go home, after getting a sample of the organic tech (and about 20 lines of organotechobable).
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

TheDarkling wrote:The Vong are punks - all the feds would have to do is spray nanoprobe or some anti organic radiation and its case closed.

The vong only beat he NR because they gave them half the galaxy before they began to fight - the Feds would show up level the planet where they were growiung their ships and go home, after getting a sample of the organic tech (and about 20 lines of organotechobable).

:roll:
Bender and God, Futurama
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

TheDarkling wrote:The Vong are punks - all the feds would have to do is spray nanoprobe or some anti organic radiation and its case closed.

Sorta like how they did with the Borg.

Oh yea, the Feds don't do stuff like that, because they're stupid and weak.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter