It came From Spacebattles

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

It came From Spacebattles

Post by Singular Quartet »

I started this thread on spacebattles a few days ago, but I thought it might get a little more intrest here.

How would The Thing, from John Carpenters The Thing do on the E-D? How about an ISD?

Assumptions for this thread:

1: Do to Thing's unusual celluler makeup, it cannot be detected by any means while in an assumed form.
2: It can be detected between forms, but the sensors get confused and don't report it.
3: Telepaths can only partially detect Thing when its taking on a new body.

How it gets on the ship:
E-D: Three red-shirt equivelents are on a planet. Due to some funny clouds, communications are down. Due to funny ore in the hills, transporters are inoperable. So the Things gets back onboard through a shuttle. It kills 2 of the ensigns, and takes over the third.
Important things to remember: Data is inorganic. Wussieness of E-D officers.

ISD: three stormies get attacked, it kills two, and takes over the third. A search party finds the thrid, really beat up, and they take him back abourd.

EDIT: I forgot the point:
Can the Thing take over each ship, preferably killing at least the bridge crew of the E-D?
Last edited by Singular Quartet on 2002-07-09 12:16am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Didnt the enterprise already do this since a very thing like creature came aboard from a subspace relay station it was a coalessing entity or something like that.

The same would happen hear the crew is unaware but due to some funky reading data begins to like into it eventually a main cast member is threatened and some how the creature is defeated possibly using weird and crazy device.

As for the Imps, well their rank and file guys arent exactly smart so the thing would probably do whatever it liked and they would never figure it out - thus the thing carries out whatever its aims are.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Cannot be detected by any means? I don't mean to be a pathetic fanboy, but wouldn't the Force be somewhat useful in detecting The Thing, considering the telepathic properties of the Force?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

E-D: Everyone get suspicious of everyone else. They work on various technobabble solutions, but since there is NO way to detect it, they all get killed, but not before a single shuttle leaves for earth.

ISD: As soon as Vader realises that people are being taken over, he orders all potentially infected people for "inspection" in the docking bay. He then flushes them into space towards the nearest star.
John Clark
Village Idiot

Post by John Clark »

Well, since the thread stipulates that the Thing can't be detected in ANY way... The E-D suffers 100% casualties. The ISD suffers 100% casualties. 250 years later, Ripley comes along and kicks its ass.
"...in the main, we make our logic according to what we like." --Miyamoto Musashi

I call myself John Clark because I'm too much of a pussy to reveal my true identity
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

What's its motive?
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

2: It can be detected between forms, but the sensors get confused and don't report it.

Sensors can detect it between forms but dont report it - hmmm sensors would usually report weird readings and when you have Data sitting at ops im sure he would get everything however small since he can filter it out but thats just my opinion, if any one else was at ops then the ship could be in trouble but as stated this sort of thing happened before and Geordi managed to take down the killer dog in the end so....

A motive would be nice.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Actually, what I ment by "Not report it" was that the sensors could be set so that if they detect anomlies (such as weird genetic mutations) they do report it. And have any of you ever seen the movie? If a bunch of guys in an Antartic station can almost kill it, why can't the stormtroopers?

Darkling: What dog at the end? Oh, wait, I heard about this. Speacil Edition, right? Only saw the original on VHS. And you're getting the idea...

Rob: What's its motivation? To make all life itself.

John Clark: Wrong Sci-fi horror flick.

And I would be very frightened if it got a hold of a Jedi.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Oh, so it multiplies, rather than simply moving from one host to another?

That sounds a little better. Hm, yeah, I don't see why the crew of an ISD (or even an Enterprise) would be completely taken out. Sooner or later, the non-things will figure out that something fishy is going on. And good luck trying to get through a sealed bulkhead. Unless it takes over some hot USO girl and entices the guards...

In a slightly different vein, how would Yancy Street's own ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing do against the crew of an ISD or the Enterprise? You guys say "'nuff said" enough, you gotta know who I'm talkin' about.

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Singuler Quartet : The trek episode was a an obvious rip off of the film hmm it cant be detected by sensors...

Its been a while since I watched the film did the thing have any weakness ie if it bleeds the blood reverts like a shapeshifters - anything along those lines.

Imps die horribly and probably not just the one ship prehaps a few planets if not huge chunks of the empire.

ST guys deal with this sort of stuff every other day so the thing wouldnt take over all of starfleet but it may beat the ship.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

TheDarkling wrote:Imps die horribly and probably not just the one ship prehaps a few planets if not huge chunks of the empire.

ST guys deal with this sort of stuff every other day so the thing wouldnt take over all of starfleet but it may beat the ship.
Hehehe, oh, TheDarkling, you are ever so funny.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well thanks I guess....

The IMPs are military block heads and the only people who could figure it out are Vader or the Emperor so its likely the thing wouldnt be stopped until it ran into those two and by then it may already be too late.

Blowing stuff up is what SW is good at.

Dealing with freaky science defying stuff is what ST is good at.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Dealing with freaky science defying stuff is what ST is good at.
Oh, that's right...I forgot...about the "science defying stuff"...just what is that, again? I mean, what does it mean to "defy science"?

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Robert Treder wrote:In a slightly different vein, how would Yancy Street's own ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing do against the crew of an ISD or the Enterprise? You guys say "'nuff said" enough, you gotta know who I'm talkin' about.
I have never even heard of this before.
TheDarkling wrote:Its been a while since I watched the film did the thing have any weakness ie if it bleeds the blood reverts like a shapeshifters - anything along those lines.
Nope. How they eventually detect it is very simple, but very creative. Since each part of the creature is out to survive, each par twill do everything in its power to avoid getting killed. Including it blood. MacReady, one of the last surviving characters determines how to find it by heating up a piece of copper wire and poking a sample of each person's blood. The blood that leaps up and screams is the blood of the thing.
TheDarkling wrote:Imps die horribly and probably not just the one ship prehaps a few planets if not huge chunks of the empire.
You just don't like the empire, do you?
TheDarkling wrote:ST guys deal with this sort of stuff every other day so the thing wouldnt take over all of starfleet but it may beat the ship.
They never dealt with The Thing, before.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Singuler Quartet wrote:I have never even heard of this before.
That's a damn shame. Everybody go pick up a copy of the latest issue of Fantastic Four.

"'Nuff Said."

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Dont like the empire??? I wish Vader had cut Luke in two when he refused to join him im just calling it like I see it - its something the imps have never dealt with before but starfleet explores and is thus on the look out for this sort of thing.

Yes I thought it was something to do with blood, I had a vague memory but I remember the ending well - it was well creepy.

That coalessing thing was basically the thing - it assumed other creatures forms and acted just like them - it didnt however multiply.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Rob: Oh, That Thing. The ISD would shot him to death or blow him out an Airlock. The E crew would have their heads beaten in in the name of science.

Darkling: Actually, it spread by having parts be removed from the host. If it lost an arm, the arm would grow... er... become a complete thing, if some of its blood infected another person, they would become the thing. Very simple.

I don't think the Federation is on the lookout for this sort of "thing." They would eventually notice it, buyt would they be willing to use the (well at least they would consider it) barbaric measures to find it (the ones that I mentioned before?)
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The Federation has done blood testing before so I think they would.
Since its happened beore I would think they would be on the lookout and how many times have aliens replaced or taken control of Starfleet personel?

Please an ISD would be no match The everloving Blue Eyed Thing ;)
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

TheDarkling wrote:The Federation has done blood testing before so I think they would.
Since its happened beore I would think they would be on the lookout and how many times have aliens replaced or taken control of Starfleet personel?

Please an ISD would be no match The everloving Blue Eyed Thing ;)
It was not determined whether or not blood testing would work on the Thing or not... I suppose it might. The method they used in the movie was to expose a person's blood to a control sample. If the person's blood assimilated the control sample, they got the flame thrower.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well in the thing rip off episode they got part of the creature and exposed it to human flesh which it then became.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

TheDarkling wrote:Well in the thing rip off episode they got part of the creature and exposed it to human flesh which it then became.
I think I'm remembering the episode now. But its still hazy. The key difference between this and that is that The Thing mimiced what it assimilated almost perfectly. I say almost because there were ways to find it, but if you didn't know, then you didn't find out. The imps might survive due to their lack of morals, but that's still a might.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I dont think the Imps would even find out - the thing was clever right it didnt just attack people ? thus it just waits till its alone and then we have 2 things and so on until the entire crew are things they then take the ISD to the nearest planet and begin to take over that place.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

TheDarkling wrote:I dont think the Imps would even find out - the thing was clever right it didnt just attack people ? thus it just waits till its alone and then we have 2 things and so on until the entire crew are things they then take the ISD to the nearest planet and begin to take over that place.
You also have to take into account living conditions (I forgot about these)

Let see you get i\alone with another crew member for around 20 minutes when conditions are as cramped as those on an Aircraft carrier. OR better yet, a nuclear submarine.

It can spread well on the GCS because everybody has their own quarters. Just get invited over for dinner, remove their comm badge, and take them over. Then just replicate new uniforms afterword. Sensors go :?: and *poof* 2 things.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I saw a few two men teams in the death star.

Remember the thing can wait and wait (as far as I know) and the imps have no chance of catching on.

Once you have 10 people you could maybe take the operators in a control room your guarding and I would think officiers get private quarters or at least two to a room.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

TheDarkling wrote:I saw a few two men teams in the death star.
Yeah, but that's a death star.When you're on a 9km sphere, you sorta have a lot more room.
TheDarkling wrote:Remember the thing can wait and wait (as far as I know) and the imps have no chance of catching on.
That, I think, would be its plan. Just wait...
TheDarkling wrote:Once you have 10 people you could maybe take the operators in a control room your guarding and I would think officiers get private quarters or at least two to a room.
Yeah, but the problem is getting those ten people.

And have we decieded the E-D is screwed?