Maximum range of turbolasers (Last Jedi spoilers)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Maximum range of turbolasers (Last Jedi spoilers)

Post by FaxModem1 »

In The Last Jedi, the Resistance makes a fighting retreat from the First Order, with the ships in visual range of each other. The distance between the First Order ships affects the turbolasers' damage done to the Resistance ships' shields. What does this tell us about both Star Wars shields and turbolasers in normal space combat? What does this change, if anything, in regards to combating Trek ships?

Discuss.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Maximum range of turbolasers (Last Jedi spoilers)

Post by Khaat »

Haven't seen it yet. Is it possible that with the bad guys only behind them, the Resistance ships are able to "double rear" their deflector shields?
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Khaat wrote: 2017-12-15 04:59pm Haven't seen it yet. Is it possible that with the bad guys only behind them, the Resistance ships are able to "double rear" their deflector shields?
They do that, eventually, for story spoiler reasons. For most of the film, it doesn't matter as they are just out of effective turbolaser range, meaning that normal SW shields can hold up if just a bit farther away.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

A related question: in a movie stupid enough to give a massless bolt of energy in zero gravity an arc, can we really trust the range shown?

Not to say we should ignore it, mind you. Just that if it contradicts the OT, go with the OT.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I haven't seen the film yet, and I apologize for not knowing the answer to this question off the top of my head (been a long time since I did much Star Wars tech. debating), but do we know that turbolaser bolts are massless, or pure energy? They're obviously not lasers, name not withstanding, as has been gone over a billion times or so.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Its a significantly shorter range then what we have seen combat on-screen before. Probably just trying to make sure the audience can see all the ships for visual effects...
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-18 08:07pm I haven't seen the film yet, and I apologize for not knowing the answer to this question off the top of my head (been a long time since I did much Star Wars tech. debating), but do we know that turbolaser bolts are massless, or pure energy? They're obviously not lasers, name not withstanding, as has been gone over a billion times or so.
You're right. Mostly tibanna. My mistake.

Regardless, it's deep space. Mass or not, there's no arc.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-18 08:07pm I haven't seen the film yet, and I apologize for not knowing the answer to this question off the top of my head (been a long time since I did much Star Wars tech. debating), but do we know that turbolaser bolts are massless, or pure energy? They're obviously not lasers, name not withstanding, as has been gone over a billion times or so.
They have recoil, so mass is likely but not certain. Because Lasers do have recoil, it's very slight compared to a conventional gun of similar raw energy output but it exists. That's why a laser driven solar sail can work. The laser recoil is the opposite force to the laser driving energy the sail absorbs.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Another little tidbit from the movie: at one point, we see Rey fire her pistol into a brick wall visibly multiple layers thick, leaving a hole at least a foot in diameter. More interestingly, much of the debris is shattered, but not vaporized. What does this mean for the debate?
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

KraytKing wrote: 2017-12-21 11:25am Another little tidbit from the movie: at one point, we see Rey fire her pistol into a brick wall visibly multiple layers thick, leaving a hole at least a foot in diameter. More interestingly, much of the debris is shattered, but not vaporized. What does this mean for the debate?
Probably not much - she hit one brick, it vaporised, the pressure wave blew a hole through the wall. We don't know how much of the bolt kept going after passing through the hole, or what sort of weapon she she had (beyond "a pistol", which could be anything from a snub .22-equivalent to a Webley Mk VI-equivalent).
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Having just seen the movie, here are my thoughts:
Spoiler
The Supremacy bombards the resistance cruiser throughout much of the film. Given that it is perfectly able to hit the shields, and able to single-shot the resistance transports further away than the cruiser, I expect it is not a strict range limitation of the guns at play. Rather, if turbolasers experience a decrease in energy density over distance (in much the way a laser beam or particle beam diffracts or diverges, respectively) then at that range their guns may not be able to bring down the cruiser's shielding. This helps explain why the cruiser doesn't throw more power into the engines to run away as it did when it first opened up the distance: that would take too much power from the shields and risks giving the Supremacy the chance to overwhelm their shields.

I would conjecture that, supposing turbolasers are self contained plasma bursts, that over time the magnetic effect binding the bolt together fades in strength and the plasma starts spreading out.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2017-12-22 08:50am
KraytKing wrote: 2017-12-21 11:25am Another little tidbit from the movie: at one point, we see Rey fire her pistol into a brick wall visibly multiple layers thick, leaving a hole at least a foot in diameter. More interestingly, much of the debris is shattered, but not vaporized. What does this mean for the debate?
Probably not much - she hit one brick, it vaporised, the pressure wave blew a hole through the wall. We don't know how much of the bolt kept going after passing through the hole, or what sort of weapon she she had (beyond "a pistol", which could be anything from a snub .22-equivalent to a Webley Mk VI-equivalent).
It was stone, not brick. And the bolt had enough force afterwards to leave a smoking impact on a stone well past the building, say 30ft perhaps.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Better question, who actually cares about versus stuff anymore...

But to actually go on the topic, are we sure supremacy is firing turbos? they seem pretty similar to the autocannons fired by the dreadnaught. Perhaps its large mass drivers? Weird and with little support, but its yet another possibility for the worst space battles in SW movie history...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-12-15 04:17pm In The Last Jedi, the Resistance makes a fighting retreat from the First Order, with the ships in visual range of each other. The distance between the First Order ships affects the turbolasers' damage done to the Resistance ships' shields. What does this tell us about both Star Wars shields and turbolasers in normal space combat? What does this change, if anything, in regards to combating Trek ships?

Discuss.
Whatever the SSD Compensator* was lobbing at the Rebel fleet, it wasn't standard tubolaser bolts, since they had a strange arcing trajectory, began to arc as soon as they left Snoke's ship (from what I can recall), and thus behaved in a manner unlike any turbolaser bolts seen before, ever.

Though, the fact that the other ships weren't firing turbolasers at the fleet is still suggestive about turbolasers' maximum effective range.

*I don't know its canon name, but that's my fan name for Snoke's ship. :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The name of Snoke's ship is Supremacy, it's a *cringe* Mega-class star dreadnought.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Truth be told, I like Compensator class better.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I could've lived with that thing never getting a name. It did essentially nothing and was destroyed in the movie it was introduced in. Executor at least got to crash into DS2.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I actually don't mind it as a starship design, even if it is a bit overblown.

And honestly, Executor's death was pathetic. Though not more pathetic than that dreadnought losing all its dorsal point-defense guns to a single fighter in TLJ.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

One of several pathetic things in TLJ, from all but one of the bombers dying before they could release their payloads, to the drama of the last one barely opening its bomb bay doors, to the first order not having enough of a clue to job some missiles at the retreating rebel ships.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-01-23 01:20pm One of several pathetic things in TLJ, from all but one of the bombers dying before they could release their payloads,
That seems a very realistic outcome of an assault on a dreadnought by a horribly outnumbered and outgunned force. Which was kind of the point of the scene. Poe was being stupid, not the film.
to the drama of the last one barely opening its bomb bay doors,
Damaged ships malfunction.
to the first order not having enough of a clue to job some missiles at the retreating rebel ships.
Missiles are almost never used in Star Wars films, save at close range by fighters. Strange, maybe, but hardly something that can be held against TLJ specifically.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Imperial528 wrote: 2017-12-24 04:45pm Having just seen the movie, here are my thoughts:
Spoiler
The Supremacy bombards the resistance cruiser throughout much of the film. Given that it is perfectly able to hit the shields, and able to single-shot the resistance transports further away than the cruiser, I expect it is not a strict range limitation of the guns at play. Rather, if turbolasers experience a decrease in energy density over distance (in much the way a laser beam or particle beam diffracts or diverges, respectively) then at that range their guns may not be able to bring down the cruiser's shielding. This helps explain why the cruiser doesn't throw more power into the engines to run away as it did when it first opened up the distance: that would take too much power from the shields and risks giving the Supremacy the chance to overwhelm their shields.

I would conjecture that, supposing turbolasers are self contained plasma bursts, that over time the magnetic effect binding the bolt together fades in strength and the plasma starts spreading out.
Here's my take on it.
Spoiler
We've known for a while that Star Wars shields have a deflector component. There is some lateral deflection that becomes larger with range, and then a component that actually absorbs any impacts. So it need not be a limitation on range or energy density, but the range at which the deflector component of shields becomes unable to sufficiently deflect a shot to cause a miss.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-24 11:48pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-01-23 01:20pm One of several pathetic things in TLJ, from all but one of the bombers dying before they could release their payloads,
That seems a very realistic outcome of an assault on a dreadnought by a horribly outnumbered and outgunned force. Which was kind of the point of the scene. Poe was being stupid, not the film.
to the drama of the last one barely opening its bomb bay doors,
Damaged ships malfunction.
to the first order not having enough of a clue to job some missiles at the retreating rebel ships.
Missiles are almost never used in Star Wars films, save at close range by fighters. Strange, maybe, but hardly something that can be held against TLJ specifically.
It boiled down to Paige struggling to reach a bloody button, that's the problem. And then there's BB-8's efforts to fix Poe's starfighter's weapons, using its dome as a makeshift plug.

The film did get one thing right though- because the First Order can track the rebel ships through hyperspace they had no need to bring along an Interdictor.

Is TLJ the first film to mention starship fuel though? I'm struggling to recall any instances of it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think its the first mention in a film, yeah, unless you count Starkiller Base draining a Star for fuel in TFA. Though the EU mentioned starship fuel, of course, and one presumes they do have it, and can eventually run out of it.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

We'd also seen Starfighters tanking up with something in ANH but first time for Cap ships.

I can only assume the Resistance ships were short stocked to start with since the FO ships seeming had no constraints on them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They evacuated in a hurry. Maybe they left their fuel reserves on the ground?