Spacedocks take on the versus debate

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

WATCH-MAN
Padawan Learner

Re: Spacedocks take on the versus debate

Post by WATCH-MAN »

To be honest: This gets ludicrous.

Every time we see Star Wars ships moving around (STL), they are moving like slugs.

Every time we see Star Wars Starfighters moving around (STL), they aren't even achieving velocities necessary to escape a planet.

There seems to be not one single scene in whole Star Wars that shows ships or fighters moving faster.

At least nobody has referred to a scene that shows such a thing and I can not remember a scene where they were moving faster than usual.

Only by referring to dialogue and plot can be concluded that they are able to fly faster than is seen on screen all the time.

You are referring to what the Imperial Fleet was supposed to do - according to the dialogue - in ROTJ. But you can not show that the Imperial Fleet has indeed flown as fast as you claim. There is no scene showing them moving into position.

And there is no reason why they should be moving like slugs all the time we see them if they are able to move exponentially faster.

This doesn't make any sense, doesn't it?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Moving like slugs relative to what?

Remember when I said velocity needed to be compared against something? Like a planet or star or such?

The fighters and ships appear to be moving slowly relative to the camera. That's a big important distinction you've utterly overlooked.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You're operating off of gut instinct. The ships look slow, therefore you won't believe that there's any examples of them clearing their own length in fractions of a second, or accellerating to orbit rapidly.

Skip to 2m 55s

Brian Young did a whole series of examples a few years back for people who questioned that.

You should understand, though, that Star Wars ships aren't really much quicker (if at all) than Star Trek ones, no one seriously claims they are.

What is different, is that Star Trek is more scientifically based, and the writers understood that such speeds could not be accomplished with any fiesable power source. They therefore invented the phrase 'mass-lightening' which is what writers call 'hanging a lantern on it' as a cue to more technical trek fans that they understand this, but that it's solved for plot convenience. Another example of this is the 'Heisenberg Compensator' a component in a transporter which compensates for the Heisenberg Principle, which would IRL make a transporter impossible.

Star Trek and Star Wars aren't even the quickest 'TV Sci-Fi Franchises' as regards sublight ships. Stargate's goa'uld motherships can slalom around a star system at 32,000 Gs.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
WATCH-MAN
Padawan Learner

Post by WATCH-MAN »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Moving like slugs relative to what?

Remember when I said velocity needed to be compared against something? Like a planet or star or such?

The fighters and ships appear to be moving slowly relative to the camera. That's a big important distinction you've utterly overlooked.
If you had read what I have already written, you would notice that I did not overlooked this aspect.
WATCH-MAN
Padawan Learner

Post by WATCH-MAN »

NecronLord wrote:You're operating off of gut instinct. The ships look slow, therefore you won't believe that there's any examples of them clearing their own length in fractions of a second, or accellerating to orbit rapidly.

[...]

You should understand, though, that Star Wars ships aren't really much quicker (if at all) than Star Trek ones, no one seriously claims they are.

What is different, is that Star Trek is more scientifically based, and the writers understood that such speeds could not be accomplished with any fiesable power source. They therefore invented the phrase 'mass-lightening' which is what writers call 'hanging a lantern on it' as a cue to more technical trek fans that they understand this, but that it's solved for plot convenience. Another example of this is the 'Heisenberg Compensator' a component in a transporter which compensates for the Heisenberg Principle, which would IRL make a transporter impossible.

Star Trek and Star Wars aren't even the quickest 'TV Sci-Fi Franchises' as regards sublight ships. Stargate's goa'uld motherships can slalom around a star system at 32,000 Gs.
That's nice.

Give me a little bit to watch and think about all these clips.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

And to reply to your initial post...
WATCH-MAN wrote:Compare how fast Earth gets smaller in the background when the Enterprise is flying away from it with impulse power or how fast it is approaching and passing Jupiter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-jWOnqAZ0 - 2:49 - 2:55 and 3:08 - 3:20
Easy. We don't need to do image scaling to derive a lower limit here.

The Enterprise passes Jupiter 1.8 hours from launch - Kirk says it. At perizene (Jupiter's closest point in orbit to the Earth; and mind you we know the real world date of TMP so we could get exact positions of the planets if we wanted to kick ourselves in the balls - I don't) Jupiter's distance from the Sun is 4.95 AU, so the Enterprise crossed 3.95 - minus 1 for Earth's initial position - in 108 minutes.

You can tap these figures in at Relativistic Starship - remembering to double distance to 7.9 AU as the calculator assumes you want to slow down, and half the time it produces (you want it to give you a time onboard ship of 0.15 days, IE 2*1.8 hours) and you'll get a ready reckoning of around 2,800 Gs and a peak speed of 0.53 C.

2,800 Gs is an lower limit and it could easily be over 3,000 because:
  • Kirk says they're 1.8 hours out after a cut, they may have passed jupiter by then.
  • It doesn't account for the time they spent on thrusters in Earth orbit after launch.
  • They could have shut the impulse drive down for a period and coasted, meaning the engine burn would have been higher.
  • If Jupiter and Earth are on opposite sides of the sun, it would add half again to the distance.
So this figure is quite conservative.

3,000 Gs is the speed of an Acclamator in the much-hated ICS.

And the Enterprise-Nil is an older generation ship.
or how fast the Starbase Yorktown gets smaller in the background when the Enterprise is leaving it - probably only using impulse power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beWyG8U4Lew

I'm not able to derive any velocities only from watching these scenes.

But I have the feeling that this is quite a little bit faster than what we see, when in Star Wars the fighters are flying in orbit of Yavin.
The Reboot Star Trek is a very different animal, and much more impressive in some key areas, though possibly not this one. I've actually done some analysis of it, and it has things like phasers being able to track and fire anti-missile shots within 50 milliseconds (the guns fire one frame after the ship drops out of warp in one sequence, and we are told in the film, as a key plot point, that the ship is blind in warp) of detection, and other such thing. But vs debates generally aren't about the new films.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

THE REBELS DIDN'T NOTICE THEM BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T SEE THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE BEHIND THE PLANET.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

That's honestly quite a complex example, Rhadamanthus, and not especially easy to use, because ultimately it's from the novel, not on the screen, the videos above cleanly establish multi-thousand Gs of acceleration without needing to think about off-screen maneuvering.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Yeah, your examples were better.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I think sometimes the resistance to ideas like this comes from the idea that the "Star Wars debaters" want to make Star Wars out as some sort of ultrapower that can't be beaten - far from it. Even in popular TV franchises, there's many that would have stomp all over Palpatine's little Empire without even calling it a war. The Human Imperium from Doctor Who's Nightmare in Silver has a weapon that would destroy the Galactic Empire in one, single, attack ("Look up there, what do you see?" "Just blackness. No stars." "It used to be the Tiberian spiral galaxy, a million star systems, a hundred million worlds, a billion trillion people, it's not there any more.").

Rational analysis cuts both ways. The Galactic Empire would get the shit stomped out of it in that fight without the other side even finding it difficult.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There may be many in 'Doctor Who', but other than that, as TV franchises go Wars is pretty much top dog. Yes, print SciFi is lousy with powers that could waltz through Wars without noticing they're there but other than Who I can't think of a TV one that could take them. I will gladly be corrected.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

At it's height, the Systems Commonwealth from Andromeda could probably take on and destroy the Empire, though it would require extensive use of Nova Bombs - yes, those do what they sound like, they make stars go boom and destroy whole systems. Each High Guard ship was apparently armed with them, the titular ship, a heavy cruiser, carried 40.

From the same series, the Magog may stand a chance as well. They consumed an entire large elliptical galaxy- every being, every star.

In addition, the Wraith, Ancients, Asgard or Ori from Stargate could, at their respective heights, probably give the Empire a solid fight.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Orion's arm seems somewhat comparable. Slower FTL, but what seems like roughly comparable tech levels.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

They seem like mid 2s on the Kardashev scale, which Star Wars is too. Not a winning match, but they could put up a fight.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Batman wrote:There may be many in 'Doctor Who', but other than that, as TV franchises go Wars is pretty much top dog. Yes, print SciFi is lousy with powers that could waltz through Wars without noticing they're there but other than Who I can't think of a TV one that could take them. I will gladly be corrected.
Really a whole bunch of things in Star Trek too; the Q, the Organians, the Metrons (perhaps) and more.

For somewhat obscure stuff, Jupiter Ascending likely has a solid shot from a logistics point of view, (the FTL at least is comparably fast, they clip around the galaxy effortlessly and their civilization is said to be galactic with a capital even more urbanized than Coruscant), and I almost suspect Valerian, when that hits will be another.

I'd also not be betting on the Galactic Empire vs some of the comic book films' space powers either.

The Asgardians in the Marvel Films do have what's basically a Starkiller Base in the form of the Bifrost, and provided that reaching them is difficult and the thing is long ranged (and the setting has universe-range FTL) they could just pop Imperial Planets starting with Coruscant until surrender was delivered. I remember we had the 'invasion' thread but really, as they operate on a multi-galactic level there's no reason to think that the Empire should be able to get there, and all the ground forces in the world are worthless if they're not getting there.

Likewise, the villain from Guardians of the Galaxy II, could pretty much roll out his evil plan on the Empire, and win.

Star Wars plays in one small galaxy and can't hit back against a lot of potential targets. We usually ignore this with the benefit of wormholes etc, but there's no reason to give them that if they're fighting an enemy who could normally hit a target in another galaxy aside from being sporting to the Empire.

Also...

Though that one's intended as comedy, of course.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think one of issues is Trek HAS to break out the quasiomnipotentials to stand against Wars, and many Trek fans don't like that.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Not really. The infamous 31st Century Feds could certainly unmake the Galactic Empire and roll it back into the Republic, with ease. Their starships could cross their galaxy in seconds, after all.
texanmarauder
Padawan Learner

Post by texanmarauder »

Batman wrote:I think one of issues is Trek HAS to break out the quasiomnipotentials to stand against Wars, and many Trek fans don't like that.
if we compare firepower seen on screen (conventional weapons, not superweapons from the franchises), ranges, shields, sublight speeds, sensors, and targeting, one galaxy class cruiser could devastate even a fleet of ISDs. the only sources that ever gave biggaton yields and ranges for SW ships was the non canon ICS books and wongs website. one is non canon, and the other is useless. ST on the other hand, has multiple examples of high yields. the only advantages that SW might have in combat is hyperdrive and sheer numbers.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

You're really going to try to pull this again?

"Mortem Delenda Est."

texanmarauder
Padawan Learner

Post by texanmarauder »

Rhadamantus wrote:You're really going to try to pull this again?
and what exactly am I pulling again?
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Insisting on low speeds, acclerations, and firepower despite evidence on this very thread. Arguing via a combination of willful ignorance and ad hominem attacks.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

texanmarauder
Padawan Learner

Post by texanmarauder »

Rhadamantus wrote:Insisting on low speeds, acclerations, and firepower despite evidence on this very thread. Arguing via a combination of willful ignorance and ad hominem attacks.
ok. give me an example of turbolasers doing at least 50,000Tj on screen? or a ship crossing 90,000,000km + in minutes with sublight engines? (just FYI the impulse engines were only at 60%) ? I can give canon examples of those. can you?
texanmarauder
Padawan Learner

Post by texanmarauder »

Rhadamantus wrote:Insisting on low speeds, acclerations, and firepower despite evidence on this very thread. Arguing via a combination of willful ignorance and ad hominem attacks.
I never said SW had low speeds or acceleration. I just questioned the sources used to give them 3000g. and I have never questioned firepower yet. that is not willful ignorance or ad hominem. telling you to go to hell because your sources suck or don't exist is simply calling you out on your bullshit. :mrgreen:
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

texanmarauder wrote:
ok. give me an example of turbolasers doing at least 50,000Tj on screen? or a ship crossing 90,000,000km + in minutes with sublight engines? (just FYI the impulse engines were only at 60%) ? I can give canon examples of those. can you?
We have already had this argument. Yavin and Endor demonstrated accelerations at 1000+g. We know that they can keep their engines on for hours. Therefore, they can travel that fast. For firepower numbers, we have a. the TFA ics, which states that resurgents can conduct a base delta zero
TFA ICS wrote: Powerful turbolaser batteries allowed for overloading enemy shields and punching through thick armor, along with orbital bombardments capable of reducing planetary surfaces to molten slag
. and b. the fact that a 100 teraton plus explosion could be easily passed off as a mining accident.
Last edited by Rhadamantus on 2017-07-05 05:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

texanmarauder wrote:
I never said SW had low speeds or acceleration. I just questioned the sources used to give them 3000g. and I have never questioned firepower yet. that is not willful ignorance or ad hominem. telling you to go to hell because your sources suck or don't exist is simply calling you out on your bullshit. :mrgreen:
A. Read the thread. People have provided evidence literally on this page.
B. Whenever I use Mike Wong's site, instead of disputing his numbers, you attack him personally. That's an ad hominem.

Also,
texanmarauder wrote:if we compare firepower seen on screen (conventional weapons, not superweapons from the franchises), ranges, shields, sublight speeds, sensors, and targeting, one galaxy class cruiser could devastate even a fleet of ISDs.
texanmarauder wrote:I have never questioned firepower yet.
Really? :banghead:

"Mortem Delenda Est."