Spacedocks take on the versus debate

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Spacedocks take on the versus debate

Postby DarthPooky » 2017-05-08 04:36pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqlegCcZOk&t=1449s

The main part that I'm talking about is at 19:13. I must say I'm kind of disappointed in space dock i like his videos and he seemed not to buy in to these kind of fanboyish Trekkie ideas. So what do you guys think I know we've all herd these arguments before. I'm just trying to get a conversation going.

We're do you think he gets that idea that Federation ships have superior weapons range when we've seen Trek ships engage at the same distances as Wars ships.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Spacedocks take on the versus debate

Postby Crazedwraith » 2017-05-08 05:00pm

The Wounded probably where the action takes place at thousands of kilometers on the sensor screen.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Postby Lord Revan » 2017-05-08 06:07pm

"the Wounded" and possibly TOS (where we almost never see the target and firing ship in the same frame) would be examples of higher ranges (to signifigant degree that is) however most of Trek shows much shorters ranges suggesting that while long ranges are theoretically possible there's something that prevents them from being used normally (at least that's the honest way to deal with that inconsistency).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Postby Adam Reynolds » 2017-05-08 09:09pm

I haven't watched this video, but I believe it is generally dialogue that indicates those sort of ranges in certain cases. The reasonable answer for both is that accuracy suffers too much at range. The same is likely true in Star Wars as well. Given the high accelerations possible in both settings it is not too much of a stretch.

To casual fans Trek just appears more advanced, and intelligence doesn't make you right about something you have never studied, it just makes you better at justifying your belief. Ideally rationality would tell you to not comment on an issue that you are not actually an expert on, but no one actually thinks that way. Both Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye have made similar comments, with a similar lack of serious analysis from either.

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Postby DarthPooky » 2017-05-15 03:03pm

Oh ya I forgot about the Wounded oh well as has been pointed out most times weave seen ranges at visual ranges to which Adam Reynolds provides a good explanation for that.

Id like to take this opportunity to talk about fighters since in the video he brings up the fallacy of Fed ships having near if not complete accuracy. Now iv seen some people on this forum say fighters would not be as effective against Fed ships. I'm however going to say that they are just as effective against Starfleet ships as they are in Star Wars because they are specifically designed to avoid enemy fire and weave seen them go up against enemy's with a relative technological parity as the Feds with there for similar targeting capability's such as the Cardassians. Weave also seen Starfleet ships miss at point blank ranges when fighting large ships like the Borg. So anyways that's my opinion id like to hear your thoughts.

Return to “Star Wars vs Star Trek”