How does Rogue One efect the vs debate

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

How does Rogue One efect the vs debate

Post by DarthPooky »

Just as the title Sayed how do you think Rogue One effects the debate. What do the Trekkies who think the feds or any other mainstream trek faction can win have to say. I know they will pick on the hole Kyber crystal superlaser thing but is there anything else you guys saw that my change some things.

There will be spoilers in this thread so if you haven't seen the movie by now WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GO SEE IT ITS AMAZING :D .
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: How does Rogue One efect the vs debate

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly there's probably little to no real effect, what remains of the rabid trekkie side is more or less preaching to the choir and might not even know Rogue One exists and the rabid warsie side seems to be even more dead them they.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There's not much debate left.

The main points, I suppose:

--Death Star demonstrates two things, low-power shots and the ability to penetrate planetary shields. Arguably it demonstrates a third, accuracy, if you think that it shot the dish off the Scarif archives tower on purpose...

--Hyperspace travel is *fast*. The Rebels deploy a fighter-bomber strike onto Eadu pretty quickly after Cassian Andor tells them that Galen Erso is there, while he's en route. They can't have taken more than a few hours' travel time, and the implication is that the X-wings and Y-wings arrive only a couple hours after Andor's U-wing crashes on Eadu (it would have taken awhile for Jyn Erso to get to the base of that tower and climb all the way up to the landing pad). We already knew this thanks to Palpatine's shuttle arriving at Mustafar pretty fast, but it's nice to have corrobating proof.

--Star Destroyers can hover pretty close to the surface of a planet. Useful if you want to deploy that level of firepower up close and personal. As far as I know, Klingon ships are the only ones we've seen with this capability, perhaps Jem'Hadar and Breen? (talking full size starships of course, not shuttles or runabouts)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

On the other hand:

--X-Wing and Y-Wing strafing is pitifully powered. A Y-Wing's bomb lands right next to Galen Erso and Krennic. Galen lives long enough for last words and Erso survives.

--Death Star uses unique power generations and kyber crystals to ampfly their output. You can't scale directly down from it for firepower calcs.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote:On the other hand:

--X-Wing and Y-Wing strafing is pitifully powered. A Y-Wing's bomb lands right next to Galen Erso and Krennic. Galen lives long enough for last words and Erso survives.
You mean Krennic survives, surely? Or that Jyn survives?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Elheru Aran wrote:

You mean Krennic survives, surely? Or that Jyn survives?
The first. Apologies for the typo.

Krennic and Galen Erso are extremely close the the blast. Galen Erso dies shortly afterwards but Krennic survives.

I've forgotten how close Jyn Erso was to that blast actually.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

She gets blown across the landing pad, IIRC, and almost goes down a crater. But yeah, still pretty abysmal results for a bang like that.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It puts to rest, definitively, that they can't do planetary shields. Sure, Starkiller Base should have done that, but I'm sure people probably tried to play that up as "found tech from the Ancients" or whatever, along with the Hyperspace Gun itself - even though every ancillary source makes it clear the First Order built it off of existing Imperial research. Probably some of Galen Erso's own work, now that we have the context of Rogue One.

Speaking of which, Erso made it clear that even without him, they were going to finish the superlaser anyway. So none of that 'lone genius that can never be replicated' crap here.

Other than seeing what a "single reactor" Death Star shot can do, there's not much else. I mean, you can rag on the bombing run but it's not like it would cancel out any higher showings from other sources that may be out there. For all we know they were using the equivalent of cluster bombs on that run, while other battles had them using bunker busters or the like. It's not definitive.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:She gets blown across the landing pad, IIRC, and almost goes down a crater. But yeah, still pretty abysmal results for a bang like that.
Plot shields: protecting our brave heroes, since The Epic of Gilgamesh. Accept no substitutes.

:P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

Honestly there's probably little to no real effect, what remains of the rabid trekkie side is more or less preaching to the choir and might not even know Rogue One exists and the rabid warsie side seems to be even more dead them they.
I meant the last holdouts in and debate. Also when I refer to the debate I tend to include the times it often comes up in casual conversation whether in real life or on the internet. As an aside I heard Darkstar didn't like Rogue One is he still around on the internet as in one of the last holdouts so to speak?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

DarthPooky wrote:
I meant the last holdouts in and debate. Also when I refer to the debate I tend to include the times it often comes up in casual conversation whether in real life or on the internet. As an aside I heard Darkstar didn't like Rogue One is he still around on the internet as in one of the last holdouts so to speak?
The debate is dead; it's passed out of pop culture for the most part. Its heyday was the early 00's, back when the prequels were fresh. Since then, both Trek and Wars entered major lulls-- Wars a period of gradual, toxic EU dribbles, and Trek a spate of lousy films and a halfhearted show in Enterprise.

There might be sparks on Reddit and a few other places, but honestly, nobody cares anymore, even the geeks.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

--Death Star uses unique power generations and kyber crystals to ampfly their output. You can't scale directly down from it for firepower calcs.
The torpedo performance was embarrassing. By all rights, they should have been able to glass the base and everything for a few miles around with that one hit, going off of the old numbers. Unless we presume they were using weaker munitions to prevent collateral damage, which I suppose is possible.

But on the plus side for Star Wars debaters... wasn't their a Trek argument, back in the day, that the Death Star blast worked by means other than raw firepower, such as a chain reaction? Shouldn't the detailed footage of the blasts undermine that?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:

The torpedo performance was embarrassing. By all rights, they should have been able to glass the base and everything for a few miles around with that one hit, going off of the old numbers. Unless we presume they were using weaker munitions to prevent collateral damage, which I suppose is possible.

But on the plus side for Star Wars debaters... wasn't their a Trek argument, back in the day, that the Death Star blast worked by means other than raw firepower, such as a chain reaction? Shouldn't the detailed footage of the blasts undermine that?
I was under the impression that they loaded up the fighters with anti personnel weapons to assainate Jyn's father
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

DarthPooky wrote:Just as the title Sayed how do you think Rogue One effects the debate. What do the Trekkies who think the feds or any other mainstream trek faction can win have to say. I know they will pick on the hole Kyber crystal superlaser thing but is there anything else you guys saw that my change some things.

There will be spoilers in this thread so if you haven't seen the movie by now WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GO SEE IT ITS AMAZING :D .
Are you dyslexic?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Thanas wrote:
DarthPooky wrote:Just as the title Sayed how do you think Rogue One effects the debate. What do the Trekkies who think the feds or any other mainstream trek faction can win have to say. I know they will pick on the hole Kyber crystal superlaser thing but is there anything else you guys saw that my change some things.

Are you dyslexic?
Possibly, he strikes me more as simply being quite young. I find his upbeat posting quite refreshing from us jaded old bastards ;)

As to the OP - the debate is done with, any holdouts on the Trek side are simply "extremists" comparable to crearionists in their inability to admit defeat and accept reality, and also take this shit waaaaaay too seriously.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

hunter5 wrote:

I was under the impression that they loaded up the fighters with anti personnel weapons to assainate Jyn's father
That was kind of what I was thinking. Also, if I remember correctly, his death takes place out on the landing platform, so some of the blast may have gone straight through.

I can only think of two interconnected explanations as to why they would use reduced firepower. One is that they knew (or thought it very likely) that Rebel agents were on the ground, and did not consider them expendable. The other is that they didn't want to be known as crazed nuclear terrorists. The Rebel Alliance seems to take its 'good guy' image very seriously, to the point where they were willing to kick whole groups out for crossing the line. Nuking Eadu (when a few conventional bombs would do the job just as well) would be making life very easy for Imperial propagandists.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: I can only think of two interconnected explanations as to why they would use reduced firepower. One is that they knew (or thought it very likely) that Rebel agents were on the ground, and did not consider them expendable. The other is that they didn't want to be known as crazed nuclear terrorists. The Rebel Alliance seems to take its 'good guy' image very seriously, to the point where they were willing to kick whole groups out for crossing the line. Nuking Eadu (when a few conventional bombs would do the job just as well) would be making life very easy for Imperial propagandists.
They didn't know there were Rebels in the area. Blue Leader tries to call off the strike, entirely when Cassian calls in his position. But it's explicitly said it's too late they've already engaged.

Eadu is an isolated outpost out in bumfuck nowhere. There's no indication there's anything there other the legit military target research base building the planet killing superweapon.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote:
hunter5 wrote:

That was kind of what I was thinking. Also, if I remember correctly, his death takes place out on the landing platform, so some of the blast may have gone straight through.

I can only think of two interconnected explanations as to why they would use reduced firepower. One is that they knew (or thought it very likely) that Rebel agents were on the ground, and did not consider them expendable. The other is that they didn't want to be known as crazed nuclear terrorists. The Rebel Alliance seems to take its 'good guy' image very seriously, to the point where they were willing to kick whole groups out for crossing the line. Nuking Eadu (when a few conventional bombs would do the job just as well) would be making life very easy for Imperial propagandists.
Anti personnel weapons would explain why the platform was even left intact after taking a direct hit
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:The debate is dead; it's passed out of pop culture for the most part. Its heyday was the early 00's, back when the prequels were fresh. Since then, both Trek and Wars entered major lulls-- Wars a period of gradual, toxic EU dribbles, and Trek a spate of lousy films and a halfhearted show in Enterprise.

There might be sparks on Reddit and a few other places, but honestly, nobody cares anymore, even the geeks.
If we're going on that, then maybe if ST: Discovery takes off (unlikely, but you never know) and with Disney making a new SW movie every year, maybe it'll get interest back. Not that it matters too much unless the new ST show goes nuts with the effects budget.
Juubi Karakuchi wrote:
hunter5 wrote:

On Rebels, scoring proton bombs is a big deal for them. And back in the OT ICS - albeit this is Legends now - they only equipped the fighters over Yavin with a pair of torpedoes each because they were in short supply.

If heavier ordnance is difficult to come by - which makes plenty of sense - they may limit it to when you absolutely, positively need something big blown up. If lesser but easier to acquire munitions can do the job, and blasting a dude on a landing pad doesn't exactly require nuclear weapons, they'd be equipped with those.

And anyway, who cares? If we've seen fighter-scale ordnance make bigger booms before, Rogue One does not invalidate that, it just means they used something different for this mission. It's like pulling up videos of F-15s making different sized explosions just means that *gasp* there's more than one type of bomb in the world
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

RogueIce wrote: And anyway, who cares? If we've seen fighter-scale ordnance make bigger booms before, Rogue One does not invalidate that, it just means they used something different for this mission. It's like pulling up videos of F-15s making different sized explosions just means that *gasp* there's more than one type of bomb in the world
ST's low showings get harped on about endlessly. I see no reason not to give SW the same treatment.

All these excuses are basically hogwash. If lasers pump out kilotons in standard operation. They've got no reason not to vape whole facility.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:ST's low showings get harped on about endlessly. I see no reason not to give SW the same treatment.
Well obviously there would need to be details on that, which this thread is not about, but ultimately I prefer to take a more holistic view. But that's just me. I think it's bullshit to just take the low and ignore the high, unless you can explicitly justify it.
All these excuses are basically hogwash. If lasers pump out kilotons in standard operation. They've got no reason not to vape whole facility.
But they're not hogwash. They wanted one of their operatives within blaster rifle range to take out the target. You're not going to use mini-nukes when you know one of your guys is within the blast zone. And I'm talking about Cassian here, not Jyn being on the landing pad, because Cassian being there was part of the plan. The Y-wings were a backup to him.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

RogueIce wrote: But they're not hogwash. They wanted one of their operatives within blaster rifle range to take out the target. You're not going to use mini-nukes when you know one of your guys is within the blast zone. And I'm talking about Cassian here, not Jyn being on the landing pad, because Cassian being there was part of the plan. The Y-wings were a backup to him.
No. Cassian was there without orders. By the time he radioed in his position (that he was there) it was too late to call off the Y-Wing strike because they were already engaged.

The General/Blue Leader wanted to call off the strike because of the operative's presence. Y-Wings are not a sensible back up. If anything you'd want troops to back up your pitiful bombing strike to confirm/finish off the kill.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:No. Cassian was there without orders. By the time he radioed in his position (that he was there) it was too late to call off the Y-Wing strike because they were already engaged.

The General/Blue Leader wanted to call off the strike because of the operative's presence. Y-Wings are not a sensible back up. If anything you'd want troops to back up your pitiful bombing strike to confirm/finish off the kill.
He went with a sniper rifle, he was absolutely there on orders. The secret orders he was given to assassinate Galen, given by the General on his way out of Yavin. They only tried calling it off because Jyn was going up on the platform itself, but Cassian was totally meant to snipe Galen.

I honestly can't remember why the Y-wings were sent. Part of me says it's because they crashed and the strike was sent as a Plan B, but they were still able to communicate with Yavin in trying to call off the strike when Cassian saw Jyn so that doesn't seem likely, and may be confusing things with Scarif.

Basically I can't recall in sufficient detail why Cassian was being sent to snipe Galen but at the same time the Alliance sent Y-wings out to bomb the base. Probably just to ensure Galen bought it? In any event, the General definitely knew Cassian would be in rifle range, because I do distinctly remember him pulling Cassian aside and telling him it was a kill mission, not a rescue. Which would likely have influenced the kind of ordnance the Y-wings would be carrying.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I only saw the film once so I may be wrong but I'd already heard about that scene beforehand and paid special attention.

You may be right I may go misremembering. Cassian may only have been calling in Jyn's position at ground zero rather than his own. What it was it certainly wasnt taken into account for the attack.

It seems incredulous that starfighters have a switch to dial down their guns to a fraction of a percent of their max put put though.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It was definetly Jyn whose position was called, Cassian was on the ridge near the facility (same ridge were Chirrut and Baze were just further up), also it might not matter but the craft used in Eadu were all X-wings not a single Y-wing was present at attack.
It seems incredulous that starfighters have a switch to dial down their guns to a fraction of a percent of their max put put though.
It's not that odd, after all if they can do that you won't need dedicated ground support craft because your fighters can engage trooops and vehicles near your own assets without risk of destroying them thru collateral damage. after all nuclear level firepower is gonna have massive collateral damage so you really can't use that too close to your own assets. Hell nuclear bombs have a (leathal) blast radius that's kilometers, you kind of want something that's smaller then that, unless you are willing to give yourself a massive achilles heel of having no air support once the enemy is closer then the blast radius of your massive overkill bombs.

If I inputted the values correctly even a 1Kt bomb gives a "near total" fatality rate from as far as almost 300 meters that's around the effective combat range of most rifles and that's just "near total" range the "wide spead destruction" and "3rd degree burns" radii both being around 700 meters or so and those numbers go up fast. You would most definetly want something smaller then that.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n