Saw Gerrera versus Siege of AR-558

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Generalissimo
Redshirt

Saw Gerrera versus Siege of AR-558

Post by Generalissimo »

Those poor Federation soldiers weren't ready to handle brutal fighting on AR-558. Let's replace them with battle hardened veterans used to impossible odds! Saw Gerrera and his Jedha Insurgency are fighting to capture and ultimately hold the Dominion subspace communication array (assume support of just enough Starfleet engineers to keep it running) on AR-558. Gerrera is expecting Federation relief in 90 days but nobody is coming until after five months. How do Saw's crew of comparatively ragtag band of insurgents handle overwhelming odds of the siege?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Saw Gerrera versus Siege of AR-558

Post by FaxModem1 »

He feeds Jem Hadar to the mind squid?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

from what I've read that thing was rather weak physically. That said I suspect that Saw's men are fairly experienced at defending chokepoints against a superior foe. Fighting against overwhelming odds is essentially that Saw has being doing the last 20 years ever since the CIS invasion of Onderon.

I mean the UFP team was able to hold for most of that time anyway and Saw isn't above mining the cave entrence with enough detpacks to send any Jemhadar attackers into low orbit without a space craft (assuming he was access to enough explosives to do so).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

FaxModem1 wrote:He feeds Jem Hadar to the mind squid?
It's a legitimate strategy to manage 'prisoners' ?
Lord Revan wrote:Fighting against overwhelming odds is essentially that Saw has being doing the last 20 years ever since the CIS invasion of Onderon.
I picked this because it's type of battle suited to Gerrera.
Extended siege, limited supplies, and lacking ability to withdraw seem an interesting handicap.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Limited supplies shouldn't be a problem for Saw or his partisans he's probably happy that said lack of supplies isn't chronic like normally for him and there's semi-certain resupply coming. Being stuck in at more or less a single location might be a bit of an issue.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Do Saw's gang have their own weapons/gear? This isn't the kind of warfare they're used to (defending a fixed point rather than fighting a guerrilla war), so while I doubt they'll do much worse than the canon force (if only because they're more used to how brutal war can get than a lot of Federation guys), I doubt they'll do much better either, in terms of their personal ability. They didn't seem the most disciplined or organized group in the film.

But give them blasters and grenades and what have you, and that might affect their performance considerably.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Do Partisan black-painted X-Wings get included in the Gerrerist package?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Do Partisan black-painted X-Wings get included in the Gerrerist package?
Going to begin with noting how "Gerrerist" is delightful nomenclature for these partisans.
"Gerrerist" rolls off tongue so well.
So far as your question. . .
. . . Gerrerists must rely entirely on Starfleet for space/air support.
Just as the original battle.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Do Saw's gang have their own weapons/gear? This isn't the kind of warfare they're used to (defending a fixed point rather than fighting a guerrilla war), so while I doubt they'll do much worse than the canon force (if only because they're more used to how brutal war can get than a lot of Federation guys), I doubt they'll do much better either, in terms of their personal ability. They didn't seem the most disciplined or organized group in the film.

But give them blasters and grenades and what have you, and that might affect their performance considerably.
Saw's gang have their own weapons/gear to hold AR-558's subspace communication array.
Of course being guerrillas additional equipment can still be scavenged off dead enemies.
Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

Lord Revan wrote:stuck in at more or less a single location might be a bit of an issue.
“One fighter with a sharp stick, with nothing left to lose, can win the day.” - Saw Gerrera
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Generalissimo wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:stuck in at more or less a single location might be a bit of an issue.
“One fighter with a sharp stick, with nothing left to lose, can win the day.” - Saw Gerrera
where is that from? I don't remember him saying anything like that in Geonosis arc in Rebels, though I've not seen the Onderon arc of Clone Wars.

That said what I meant that being tied to a single fairly small location and forced to defend that might cause issues as I suspect that partisans would typically relocate if things got too hairy then fight it out.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Jyn was quoting Saw Gerrera in Rogue One.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

That would make sense, that said Saw's partisan as far as I know never had any access to military vehicles of any type. Though they did had access to explosives though enough to disable that imperial "tank" in Jedha as well as having anti-armor weapons both if used correctly could ruin the Jem'hadar's day. Another intresting question is that can the partisans convert the cloaked mines the dominion has or will those be an exclusively dominion asset.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:That would make sense, that said Saw's partisan as far as I know never had any access to military vehicles of any type.
They had X-wings; you see them in a scene outside their hideaway. Unless you mean *ground* vehicles.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:That would make sense, that said Saw's partisan as far as I know never had any access to military vehicles of any type.
They had X-wings; you see them in a scene outside their hideaway. Unless you mean *ground* vehicles.
oh must have missed them then and I meant any vehicle not ground based ones. I'll admit I've seen Rogue One only once.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Saw has never demonstrated much technical ability. I don't think Saw can hack the Houdinis, and will face losses due to it. Unless he has R2 or Chopper with him. That is going to lead to some heavy casualties on his side. Hell, it may cost him his own life, making his band of rebels leaderless.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Folks don't know the proficiency of Saw's team mates though... If his partisans operated X-Wings, then they might have astromechs. And personnel - meatbag or droid - with the ability to maintain sophisticated equipment, at least SW starfighter-grade in sophistication.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Saw's plucky band of rebels will have to A.) break through the jamming signals preventing scanning equipment(unless Wars hand scanners can overcome Trek jamming tech, can it?), B.) locate the mines in subspace, something none of them have experience with, and C.) reprogram or disarm every last one of them.

In the episode, an ordinary Starfleet engineer like Kellin wasn't able to crack it with months of time to do so. It took Ezri Dax's previous lifetimes of experience to do all of this. Saw might have someone just that good on his team, but that is rather unknown. It's more probable that Saw faces IEDs against his men whenever he tries to put them anywhere.