Dilithium = Kyber?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Dilithium = Kyber?

Post by FedRebel »

Both crystals are essentially used for the same basic purpose, focusing high energy emissions.

Would there be any reason to assume they were not one and the same?

If they are the same substance, dilithium seems to be more plentiful in a larger average crystal size. If anything gives a hypothetical Imperial invasion better context, we'd have a strategic resource worth motivation, worthwhile targets to defend/attack worth devoting resources/ships. And also a means for factions to barter.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Dilithium = Kyber?

Post by Khaat »

I had considered the possibility, but the technobabble doesn't support it. Dilithium is a regulator, not a booster.
Wiki wrote:According to a periodic table shown during a Next Generation episode, it has the chemical symbol Dt and the atomic number 87, which in reality belongs to francium.
Next we'll have Trekkies hypothesizing that Alderaan was another kyber-crystal-rich planet, and that's why it blew up so spectacularly: "the Death Star wasn't really that powerful after all!" :roll:
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

You could make the argument it's Naquadah from StarGate as well.

Judging by it's seeming rarity compared to Dilithium, I find it unlikely that they're the same thing.
Khaat wrote:I had considered the possibility, but the technobabble doesn't support it. Dilithium is a regulator, not a booster.
Wiki wrote:According to a periodic table shown during a Next Generation episode, it has the chemical symbol Dt and the atomic number 87, which in reality belongs to francium.
Next we'll have Trekkies hypothesizing that Alderaan was another kyber-crystal-rich planet, and that's why it blew up so spectacularly: "the Death Star wasn't really that powerful after all!" :roll:
I'd hope the new movie with the peta/exaton firepower from the DS, on a LOW powered shot will put an end to that nonsense.

Darkstar seems to hate the new movie however for some reason, he's seemingly implying it's distinct from the works of Lucas now...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Khaat wrote:I had considered the possibility, but the technobabble doesn't support it. Dilithium is a regulator, not a booster.
I would think that because, Kyber crystals while rare aren't that rare (every lightsaber in existance needs to have at least one) the rabid trekkies would like to ignore that. The "DS isn't relevent to VS bebates!" arguments generally come in 2 forms 1)there was something special in alderaan that made it blow up 2)the Death Star was something super special and normal imperial tech is more primitive. Kyber crystals are too common and well known to really fit either option.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n