Star Wars vs Star Trek as RPG campaign settings(is either post scarcity?)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars vs Star Trek as RPG campaign settings(is either post scarcity?)

Post by Zwinmar »

I think that the problem for me in a ST campaign is that they are a bunch of wannabe paladins, of the lawful stupid variety. "Encounter at Farpoint" has always bugged me a bit with Picards hate of the Marine uniform and ideas, go figure.

The main problem is that in other genres the Captain isn't god like he is in Trek, or rather there is viable alternatives as they ships rarely have more than a handful of crew whereas in Trek the crews are huge.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sigh... yet another post treating "typical Starfleet cliche" as the totality of the setting.

You know, their's nothing to stop you playing a Marquis, or a Section 31 guy, or a Kingon, or a Romulan, or a Cardassian, or a random freighter captain (Firefly, Trek-style), or simply a Starfleet guy who doesn't fit the above mould (their are quite a lot of them in canon), etc...
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

closest i get is playing STO at this point, no groups going on around here so.