Starfleet gains the Imperial Class USS Subjugator

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Starfleet gains the Imperial Class USS Subjugator

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, some time shortly after the Death of Emperor Palpatine the Imperial Star Destroyer Subjugator is being persued by New Republic forces and has taken heavy damage near a scientific base in the uncharted regions. Faced with the prospects of Destruction it's captain flees through an usual and unstable spacial anomaly that opens up every few decades. The Rebels are convinced that the Subjugator destroyed itself and go on in search of

The ship gets banged about a fair bit in transit but never the less emerges on the other side. However the Subugator is in a sorry state as it's drives and power systems badly damaged. They have life support and a few technical systems (including fabrication) functional and they might be able to salvage her. The anomaly that spat them out is still there but going back the other way would be even more difficult and risky. The only problem is that in a few days they are confronted by a dozen ships from something calling itself the "Starfleet" informing them that they are in the territory of the 'United Federation of Planets'. These Federals are also a bit ancy as they had recently faced an attack by a race of Cyborgs called "The Borg" who nearly conquered their capital planet and had done considerable damage to their fleet at a place called "Wolf 359". The captain of the Subjugator, having had the crap kicked out of his ship and under considerable stress for the past year surrenders to these locals.

With the cooperation of the surviving crew and with the aid of the fabrication gear on board in a period of a few years the Subjugator is returned to about 80% of it's effectiveness while it's depleted supply of parasite craft are replaced. As word of a new threat called "The Dominion" begins to rear its ugly head the restored USS Sugjugator leaves Utoptia Planetia as Starfleet's largest starship.

What happens?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Starfleet gains the Imperial Class USS Subjugator

Post by biostem »

Even at 80% capacity, an ISD-II will be able to obliterate even a fleet of ST ships. If, however, that "80% functionality" was achieved using Federation tech, and is in reference to the ship being functional, but by Alpha-quadrant standards, then while it'll be powerful, it may not be the single-ship game-changer that it would have been if it was using all SW-grade tech.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, even if its power generation isn't up to par, its hull armour and shear size should allow it to take a hell of a lot of damage by Trek standards.

Its also a massive troop/fighter carrier.

The problem is... that's an awful lot of personnel and resources for a ship that can only be in one place at a time. Though I dare say it'll be worth it if they can get the hyperdrive up and running, as the ISD can move from place to place faster than most Star Trek (or any standard Federation) craft.

Edit: Also... you say the anomaly is still there? I can see that making the local powers very, very nervous, especially once they download data/question the crew of the ISD and realize just how powerful the civilizations on the other side are, and that they're in the midst of a civil war. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to destroy the anomaly, just in case.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'd be bloody surprised that Starfleet didn't re-name the ship, frankly.

As for what to do with her, well, if all else fails (can't get the hyperdrive operational or whatever) you could always tow her out to Bajor and leave her as a gun platform near the wormhole. That should be enough to make the Dominion shit bricks.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Edit: Also... you say the anomaly is still there? I can see that making the local powers very, very nervous, especially once they download data/question the crew of the ISD and realize just how powerful the civilizations on the other side are, and that they're in the midst of a civil war. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to destroy the anomaly, just in case.
The Anomaly is one way, you could theoretically go back to the Star Wars universe but it would be an uphill battle and the Subjugator barely made it through going through downstream

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'd be bloody surprised that Starfleet didn't re-name the ship, frankly.

As for what to do with her, well, if all else fails (can't get the hyperdrive operational or whatever) you could always tow her out to Bajor and leave her as a gun platform near the wormhole. That should be enough to make the Dominion shit bricks.
That is an excellent proposition.

Although really, despite being prohibited by the OP, the best use might be to simply dismantle her and study/try to reverse engineer the tech.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I didn't see anything in the OP that prohibited dismantling the ship. Although honestly they wouldn't have to dismantle it to study it and reverse engineer, especially with working fabricators on board with which to create tech they can study.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Borgholio wrote:I didn't see anything in the OP that prohibited dismantling the ship. Although honestly they wouldn't have to dismantle it to study it and reverse engineer, especially with working fabricators on board with which to create tech they can study.

If there is at least 1 lambda-class shuttle, or any other smaller hyperspace-capable vessel in the hangars, then they only need that to work out the fundamentals...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Given the number of guns an ISD caries removing one or two light guns and maybe one heavy gun won't exactly impede her firepower against ST ships. Take one heavy turbolaser out of one of the 8-gun barbette mounts and one light gun from the trench and you still have an absurdly heavily armed ship by ST standards.

Damn, I was going to bring up a lambda shuttle for biostem to ninja me, curse you :)

Also, she would probably still have ordnance for TIE Bombers on hand, so that gives the Federation an alternative to photorps they can work on, without the dangers inherent of using antimatter warheads.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

...and heaven help the other AQ powers if, (going out of canon here), this ISD happens to have any TIE Avengers or Defenders on board...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, we have to consider the implications of destabilizing the entire balance of power, don't we?

What happens if word gets out about the new Federation super weapon, and the Klingons or Romulans or somebody tries to steal it, like with the Genesis Device in the films?

Or worse, what happens if the Borg get wind of it? Or the Dominion?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Moved thread.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tbh 1 ISD without the logistical support they have in GFFA isn't gonna be that much of a game changer simply because sooner or later it's gonna out of fuel, munitions or both. Since it is unreasonble to assume that an ISD would have the ability to manufacture fuel on-board. Remember logistics matter also not just how many gigatons your guns have and everything that runs on SW reactors will have to be refueled from what ever finite stores the ISD will have on-board, same with equipting SW grade munitions and manufacting said munitions.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
BabelHuber
Padawan Learner

Post by BabelHuber »

Lord Revan wrote:Tbh 1 ISD without the logistical support they have in GFFA isn't gonna be that much of a game changer simply because sooner or later it's gonna out of fuel, munitions or both.
True.

But if the Federation has enough intel about Dominion ship yards, Ketracell White facilities and Jem Hadar cloning facilities in the Alpha Quadrant and the ISD has enough fuel and munition, it could attack the Dominion/ Cardassian infrastructure.

The ISD could simply jump from one strategical target to the next and destroy them one by one. Since it should be faster than the Dominion's subspace communication, it would be a nasty surprise for them. I think within one or two days, the ISD could cause significant damage, confusion, shock and awe.

I'd assume that the Federation won't know each and every Dominion/ Cardassian facility, so their infrastructure wouldn't be totally destroyed. But it could be enough to overcome the Dominion's advantage in starship and Jem Hadar production.

Also, the Dominion would have to spend considerable resources for rebuilding. And they would have to try to better protect their infrastructure in the future, which also would have an effect on their front line strength.

After this initial rampage, the Federation could remove the ISD from the front line. It would remain a huge threat throughout the war, even if it wouldn't move anymore.

This would be an opportunity for the Federation to analyze the ISD further, perhaps it would help them to improve their technology. Note that I don't think that the Federation could produce turbolasers or hyperspace-capable ships within a short time frame, but I think they could extract valuable information to improve their existing designs.

Of course this would completely change the balance of power in the galaxy. But with such a terror weapon at hand, the Federation certainly wouldn't look weak to anybody. The only problem would be a full scale Borg attack if they got wind of this vessel.
So the Federation's scientists and engineers should better come up with some improved technology fast...
Ladies and gentlemen, I can envision the day when the brains of brilliant men can be kept alive in the bodies of dumb people.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, a partially-disabled ISD is pretty much prime Borg bait. The Federation might be worth more than a single cube after that.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

BabelHuber wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Tbh 1 ISD without the logistical support they have in GFFA isn't gonna be that much of a game changer simply because sooner or later it's gonna out of fuel, munitions or both.
True.

But if the Federation has enough intel about Dominion ship yards, Ketracell White facilities and Jem Hadar cloning facilities in the Alpha Quadrant and the ISD has enough fuel and munition, it could attack the Dominion/ Cardassian infrastructure.

The ISD could simply jump from one strategical target to the next and destroy them one by one. Since it should be faster than the Dominion's subspace communication, it would be a nasty surprise for them. I think within one or two days, the ISD could cause significant damage, confusion, shock and awe.

I'd assume that the Federation won't know each and every Dominion/ Cardassian facility, so their infrastructure wouldn't be totally destroyed. But it could be enough to overcome the Dominion's advantage in starship and Jem Hadar production.

Also, the Dominion would have to spend considerable resources for rebuilding. And they would have to try to better protect their infrastructure in the future, which also would have an effect on their front line strength.
Curtis' numbers while now Legendary, say fully fuelled warship can maintain battle performance for only a few hours or days IIRC. And no one except maybe the Romulans could make hypermatter... they might end up running out of fuel behind enemy lines...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
BabelHuber
Padawan Learner

Post by BabelHuber »

NecronLord wrote:Curtis' numbers while now Legendary, say fully fuelled warship can maintain battle performance for only a few hours or days IIRC. And no one except maybe the Romulans could make hypermatter... they might end up running out of fuel behind enemy lines...
Yes, this is the worst case. In the end, the ISD could just be too valuable to use it for anything, except of analyzing it.

On the other hand, desperate times call for desperate measures. The Federation could try to utilize it for retaking DS9 before the Dominion can destroy the mines blocking the wormhole. After all, nobody in starfleet would expect a divine intervention by the prophets.
Ladies and gentlemen, I can envision the day when the brains of brilliant men can be kept alive in the bodies of dumb people.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

NecronLord wrote:Curtis' numbers while now Legendary, say fully fuelled warship can maintain battle performance for only a few hours or days IIRC.
That's only at full chat though - turning the wick down by a few orders of magnitude would extend that endurance to years while still being more than enough to flatten any opponent short of the Voth.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

That has other effects beyond limiting weapons power though. Remember, moving the ship at the accelerations we're used to is a big part of how Curtis derived those numbers; you run the generator at 1/100th power, it'll move at tens of Gs, not thousands, and most free-moving targets such as ships will be able to keep away from it or reposition to their advantage (IE due aft) with ease. If they want to overhaul things in an ISD they need to pour on the fuel.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

There's a couple ways around that - first, replace the troop, (most of the) stores, and hangar spaces with the universe's most gigantic battery array, charged from standard Federation antimatter reactors during downtime, and second, dial the weapons and shield power levels down to only ten or fifteen orders of magnitude above Star Trek standard while leaving the acceleration more or less as canon. Making adjustments according to the tactical situation, that leaves a warship that always crushingly superior to anything it faces while not wasting more power than it needs to.

Additionally, I'd be surprised if a ship with a crew in the tens of thousands didn't have enough of a technical library on board to describe hypermatter production; it would take a huge amount of time and resources to ramp up, obviously, but it wouldn't be impossible to eventually refuel Subjugator. Or rather whatever it's re-launched as. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Would the pansy corps Starfleet even have the spine to deploy an ISD without decades of bureaucratic hand-wringing first?
Maximum effort!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Esquire wrote:Or rather whatever it's re-launched as. :D
USS Fluffy Bunny.
Beka Valentine wrote:No one ever names their planet-killer the Fluffy Bunny
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Axton wrote:Would the pansy corps Starfleet even have the spine to deploy an ISD without decades of bureaucratic hand-wringing first?
Perhaps not under normal circumstances, but in the middle of the Dominion War? Seriously? The Federation is naive, at times, but not as hopelessly idiotic as we occasionally paint them as being. What's the worst that could happen, a strongly worded note from the Founders about how unfair it is to use U.S.S. Fluffy Bunny* against them?

It's possible that the Klingons or Romulans might be intimidated enough to try something underhanded, but as we've discussed to death and back, there's effectively nothing the usual Alpha Quadrant powers can do to a Star Destroyer with even the slightest warning. The Federation goes on to win everything through superior firepower instead of simply narrative fiat.

*I love this name and everything about it - particularly if it was originally in some alien language and Fluffy Bunny is just a translation mishap.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

It will leave the enemy too busy being doubled over in laughter to notice their planet being BDZed out of existence. Or all their bug ships being splatted.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

*I love this name and everything about it - particularly if it was originally in some alien language and Fluffy Bunny is just a translation mishap.
Well its better than boaty mcboatface LOL.