Tactics Scenario: Boarding Action [SW:TFA Spoilers]

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Tactics Scenario: Boarding Action [SW:TFA Spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Please outline your preferred tactics/approach to the following scenario as either the Stormtrooper Commander, or Federation Captain. Both sides have a working knowledge of the other's abilities.

1.1 First Order Background

Congratulations, Stormtrooper! You have been promoted to sergeant and given command of your own squad; Glory to the First Order and the Supreme Leader!

The Perfidious Federation, a small power located through the Traken Wormhole, has long been suspected of assisting the execrable Resistance. Although much of their technology is inferior, they possess a device called a Transwarp Transporter, which is capable of 'beaming' persons and cargo through light years of space, to any unshielded facility or world. The Star Destroyer Palpatine has located one of their vessels skulking near the beleaguered system of Aganar, when approached, the vessel claimed to be on a 'peaceful survey mission' of local gas clouds; but when the Captain of the Palpatine requested this vessel to prepare to receive an inspection party, they refused.

Your mission is to board this Federation vessel discovered in First Order territory; although several other craft were dispatched after the intruder vessel was disabled using mag-pulses, the Federation engineers have once again surprised us, and brought the vessel's systems back online during the boarding, resulting in only your craft surviving to make contact with the enemy, while others have been destroyed or disabled by phaser fire.

The Federation vessel has (with typical cowardice) fled, and is using its slipstream drive, to make for the New Republic border system of Martessa, and will arrive within three hours. Treaty requirements will force you to retreat as standing orders for all First Order personnel specify that no military action may be taken within the environs of a Republic star system, and it is likely you will encounter the fearsome New Repubic Marine Corps in superior numbers if you attempt to continue.

This is a perfect opportunity to catch this 'Federation' acting against its so-called neutrality, and you must capture the vessel as intact as possible for propaganda purposes. Although we could have destroyed the vessel without difficulty, we require access to its computer cores (primary, secondary and battle section) therefore you must disable the vessel's drive systems, or force its crew to surrender by some means.

1.2 Summary of Mission Objectives

Disable the warp drive of the USS Progress so that First Order forces can board it before it reaches Republic territory (ETA 3 hours)
All primary and secondary computer cores of the Progress must remain intact.

1.3 First Order Resources:

• 1 Landing Craft
• 1 Pilot
• 1 Gunner
• 2 10 man squads consisting of Squad Leader, Deputy Squad Leader, repeating blaster gunner, Flametrooper, 6 troopers
Stormtroopers equipment references included below; you may equip one or more of your troopers as riot control troopers.

2.1 Starfleet Mission Background

You are the captain of the USS Progress, a Galaxy class (Refit) vessel assigned to a five-year exploration mission of the Skyriver Galaxy. The Federation has a friendship treaty with the dominant naval power of this galaxy, the New Republic; and explorations of this galaxy have proven highly illuminating for Federation Science. Your current mission includes a survey of the disputed Aganar nebula, which lies in disputed space, claimed by the large-scale terrorist organization called the First Order.

Having refused to allow the First Order, which is not known for removing its troops from anything they board in the first instance to ‘inspect’ your ship, which is most likely intended to allow them to gain access to confidential Federation technologies such as transporters, you are now underway to the nearby Republic outpost of Martessa.

Your vessel has however, been boarded by a small number of First Order ‘Stormtrooper’ janissaries, highly feared ground combatants.

2.2 Starfleet Mission Objectives

• Reach New Republic Territory (ETA 3 hours)
• Minimize harm to the USS Progress personnel and equipment.
• Detain or, if necessary, kill intruders.

2.3 Starfleet Resources
2.3.1 Galaxy-class Refit details

The Progress is equipped with transwarp transporters with a range of up to four light years, and a slipstream drive capable of considerably greater speed than conventional warp, though it also boasts a considerably increased speed, and is capable of

Additionally the Progress has the Q-weapons refit, named for the rumour that it was retro-engineered from a vision or future-projection experienced by Captain Jean Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise. The most obvious analysis of these consist of a ventral phaser lance, enhanced phaser 'bullhorns' and several other upgraded weapons.

The vessel additionally has a cloaking device; since the Second Treaty of Algeron, which was signed once the Romulan Republic had consolidated the various Romulan states after the destruction of Romulus and Remus, this is legal, and the Progress the First Order are not currently aware of Federation cloaking devices. It seems likely that the stormtroopers carry transceivers and subspace radios that would compromise it if used while they are on board.

The Progress is also equipped with transphasic torpedos, capable of penetrating shields and armour, though these weapons do not generally equalize the battlefield against a star destroyer thanks to the overwhelming advantage in conventional firepower and overall mass.

2.3.2 USS Progress Sub-Craft

The following craft are stored aboard the Progress, which has been loaded with additional small-craft in anticipation of its five year mission;

• 1 Powell-class Long Range Warpshuttle, [Fan Design?]
• 1 Delta-Flyer-class Long Range Scout-Craft. [ST: Voyager]
• 1 Venture-class Scoutship. [ST: Insurrection]
• 5 Danube-class Runabouts, [ST: DS9]
• 10 Type 9a Cargo Shuttlecraft (Reconfigurable as troop-craft)
• 2 Argo ground-vehicle Transport Shuttles. [ST: Nemesis]
• 10 Type 8 Personnel Shuttlecraft,
• 10 Type-15 Shuttlepods
• 1 Captain's Yacht

Of these, almost all (37 craft) are located within the primary shuttlebay, where the intruders are, except for 4 Type 8 Personnel shuttles which are located in the secondary bays. A 'bee hive' in the primary shuttlebay also includes 12 workbees and 12 'sphinx' work pods.

2.3.3 Starfleet Crew & Personnel details

The Progress carries a crew of around 800 persons, and is carrying approximately 400 additional civilians (including children) of these, security personnel make up approximately 150 persons, however, all starfleet personnel receive basic tactical training. Ship's stewards will normally take action to route civilians out of danger where possible. Additionally there are several klingon warriors on board who may well volunteer to assist.

The crew contains several dozen cetacean and a medusan navigator, and otherwise a fair mix of federation species (60% human, other humanoids evenly mixed).

As a red alert has been called, all security personnel will be equipped with Type III phasers, many other personnel will be equipped with phaser II pistols. Large stocks of phasers are present on board. Initially, security personnel are split into teams of two or three patrolling the vessel, or are mustering in key areas.

3.1 Immediate Boarding Location

[Primary Shuttlebay, Galaxy Class Vessel]

The First Order boarding craft has been able to enter the main shuttle-bay, thanks to a breach caused by a TIE fighter, and the shuttle-bay force field has now been activated, causing pressure to return to normal, and preventing the First Order craft leaving (unless power is disrupted or a suitable control room captured, etc).

[Map of initial boarding area – Large ImageLarger with adjoining decks]

3.2 Scenario Limitations

Safety interlocks built into the USS Progress prevent the use of gravity plates to kill living targets, and transporters cannot generally be used to beam site-to-site within the ship unless the target is wearing a commbadge (or to beam the stormtroopers into space). Stormtrooper helmets are equipped with filters against standard Starfleet Intruder Suppression Gasses.

3.3 References

Galaxy Class Tech Specs; a good breakdown of tech manual information, with some original aspects, obviously doesn't include the upgrades mentioned above.
Phaser Rifle in use by security forces aboard the USS Progress.
Rick Sternbach’s Galaxy Class Starship Deckplans - may be considered valid for this thread, cetacean tanks and all; note, not all decks are accessible on the page.

First Order Stormtroopers standard equipment.
First Order Assault Ship
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tactics Scenario: Boarding Action [SW:TFA Spoilers]

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the stormtrooper helmets have been upgraded from the ones in the movie, and can actually screen out toxins? Dang, that makes things harder for the Fed crew.

If I were the stormtroopers, I'd use the boarding ship to blast open through either the doors of the hangar bay leading to the rest of the ship or the bulkheads themselves, so as to prevent my troops from being vented into space or forced to stay in the boarding ship. Do we have breathers for the vacuum of space? If not, we're going to have a problem if they turn the forcefield off.

They will then have to either storm the nearest daycare, or make their way to the bridge and take hostages(ala the episode Rascals). Start executing hostages if the crew don't comply. Then, while forcing all the hostages to disarm and into a huddle, have my techs start raiding the Progress computers, placing while also shutting down the ship. Contact command and inform them of our success.

For the crew of the Progress, simply evacuate the hangar bay and adjoining decks of the hangar. Vent the hangar bay, and beam stun grenades or if I have to, a micro-torpedo(like the ones on the Delta Flyer or Runabouts) onto the boarding ship. Next to it if their shielding or hull makes that impossible, and then open the hangar doors. With the boarding party either unconscious or dead from the explosives appearing all around them, either strip them of their gear and take them to the brig, or if stressed for time due to the Palpatine chasing us, just open the hangar door and tow it out of there with the in-hangar tractor beam, followed by cloaking and engaging on a merry chase out of their sensor range, to the safety of New Republic space.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, the stormtrooper helmets have been upgraded from the ones in the movie, and can actually screen out toxins? Dang, that makes things harder for the Fed crew.
Yeah, the TFA novel has some stuff about them having some sort of filters they can engage and as that line in the movie makes me groan, I went with that one. :wink:

I'm not sure if the Stormtrooper helmets are now meant to be airtight by default or not; what do people think?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, the Clone Troopers had airtight suits, but that was from a generation that actually made quality soldiers and gear. Palpatine became rather penny pinching about his soldiers gear in later years, it seems, and preferred to throw numbers at a problem until it was no longer a problem.(Or used a superweapon, he definitely liked using those.)

Which version does the First Order go with?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I don't know. I think the Doylian answer is that the current producers are enamoured of the idea that the helmets can be easily removed; Ezra does it lots in Rebels. It seems odd that if they have an airtight suit, they could be threatened with toxins on the Falcon at all, though. Lots of tie in material emphasizes the quality of the new ST gear however.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Airtight does not have to mean sealed. Modern tanks and such do it by pumping air in, filtering it and than keeping the interior at a slight overpressure compared to the environment so that air can't get in through anywhere but where the filters. Such a system could be adapted to stormtrooper armor easily enough.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Purple wrote:Airtight does not have to mean sealed. Modern tanks and such do it by pumping air in, filtering it and than keeping the interior at a slight overpressure compared to the environment so that air can't get in through anywhere but where the filters. Such a system could be adapted to stormtrooper armor easily enough.
Yes... but they gain NBC protection from positive pressure systems and such.

I can't see how they could be operating a over-pressure system and also vulnerable to toxins that Finn and Rey hoped to protect themselves against with transparent plastic breathing masks.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, either way, playing as the crew of the Progress, I still vent the hangar bay and beam stun grenades and micro torpedoes into the boarding ship or around it. Either they'll have to stay inside their ship due to lack of breathing apparatus, or from the incoming explosives that they'll need cover from that could rupture their suits.

If I'm the First Order troopers, and there's no air to breathe, I might try and do what Picard did in Nemesis, and just hijack a Delta Flyer or use our boarding craft and fly through the hallways of the Progress until my troops get to their destination, assuming either can stomach that kind of damage and our pilot is that good. The real problem is that 20 Stormtroopers are a bit hopelessly outgunned here and are starting at a disadvantage in their opening position, as the First Order sent in more troops to take a primitive village than they are the Progress' hundreds of crew members.

Unless the Palpatine is willing to fire ion blasts at the Progress, rendering it immobile so as to send in more troops, the First Order is going to have problems getting their objective.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

FaxModem1 wrote:The real problem is that 20 Stormtroopers are a bit hopelessly outgunned here and are starting at a disadvantage in their opening position, as the First Order sent in more troops to take a primitive village than they are the Progress' hundreds of crew members.
Yeah, the scenario is that they were sending more and the Progress bugged out; obviously there's not much of a contest if the stormtroopers are very numerous.

You can add another three landing craft if you wish. (But cannot have Kylo Ren. :wink: )
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

NecronLord wrote:Yeah, the scenario is that they were sending more and the Progress bugged out; obviously there's not much of a contest if the stormtroopers are very numerous.

You can add another three landing craft if you wish. (But cannot have Kylo Ren. :wink: )
Wait, I can't take the screaming child who throws tantrums and undermines my mission's objectives because of his hunches? Whatever will I do? I know, I'll take a dog with rabies and unleash it on the Progress, and take the dog biting my men as the same sort of friendly fire I'd get if I brought old Emo boy aboard. :P Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised that if I took Kylo Ren with me, that he wouldn't grab some Vulcan or Trill officer, say this is who we needed instead, and have us depart the ship.

Seriously though, 80 men to take the ship is better. While one ship is being blown to pieces, the other gunners can target EPS conduits, the hangar tractor beam, transporter controls, and whatever other soft targets are in the vicinity, and split the troops into two teams, one for the bridge/engineering, and the other for the nearest school/daycare. The First Order has nothing against civilian casualties, and will be willing to execute children to achieve its goals. It would be a rather stone faced Starfleet officer who can ignore such brutality and will probably cave into such demands. The big problem is getting them out of the hangar bay without dying from the lack of oxygen or exploding torpedoes everywhere.

If we can somehow escape the hangar bay, and have breathing apparatuses, we can heavily secure areas, and take hostages. One big issue is that post-Wolf 359 and post-Dominion War, Starfleet grew a lot of balls, and may fight to the death on the Progress until every single one of the First Order Troopers is captured or killed.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm.

It may well be that stormtrooper armor is designed 'for but not with' a configuration that is airtight, provides NBC protection, or both. Like, there may be modules where you can insert a filtration system, or swap in airtight seals in place of non-airtight ones.

Because for most stormtrooper duties, airtight armor would probably be uncomfortable (sweaty, if nothing else) and NBC protection unnecessary. But on those occasions when you need it, you really, really need it. So the armor might logically be designed so it CAN be used as a protective spacesuit or chemical warfare suit- but not without some advance preparation. Soldiers who don't expect chemical weapons to be a threat may not be prepared.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

IIRC there was a small "hiss" when Finn removed his helmet or put it back on in the movie so that could mean some sort of seal there.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

First Order: I order my men into an obvious trap while staying safely at the rear, stun anyone who makes it out, surrender, and defect to the Federation. Fuck the space Neo Nazis.

Federation: Why can't just lock on to the jackasses and beam them into my brig, minus their weapons? Pretty sure their have been cases of transporting something without a com. badge (the whales in the fourth film come to mind).

If the transport gets fucked up and they materialize as a pile of charred goop or something like that, well, they are enemy soldiers. At least we tried to take them alive.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:First Order: I order my men into an obvious trap while staying safely at the rear, stun anyone who makes it out, surrender, and defect to the Federation. Fuck the space Neo Nazis.
:lol:

Well it's a tactics problem, not a politics one.
Federation: Why can't just lock on to the jackasses and beam them into my brig, minus their weapons? Pretty sure their have been cases of transporting something without a com. badge (the whales in the fourth film come to mind).

If the transport gets fucked up and they materialize as a pile of charred goop or something like that, well, they are enemy soldiers. At least we tried to take them alive.
I think it was said that they locked onto George and Gracie's 20th Century radio-tags.

Of course that's also the first site-to-site transport in the series and the largest, mass-wise, that I recall. Scotty truly was a miracle worker.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

*cough* 'TOS: A Piece of the Action'.

Besides, by the time of TNG, site-to-site seems to be a pretty routine procedure and we know they can deactivate the transportee's weapons and park them in the pattern buffer so even if they have to put those people on the pad I fail to see any problems. Guys get beamed to the pad, snooze in the pattern buffer until security arrives, find out their guns don't work, are marched to the brig.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I stand corrected.

Have they ever been able to lock transporters onto intruders and do that? I think the Enterprise might have had less shuttles stolen if that were the case.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well the thing is that without a beacon of something like that (for example a combadge) transporters are quite unrelible in getting a lock onto a target that's not already on a pad, which would explain why the beam hostiles into a brig is almost never used.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

They beam up people (or objects) without a beacon all the damned time, and have since the TOS days.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Oh certainly; I'm just not sure they've ever done it to boarding parties?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Boarding parties are usually stopped by forcefield(and then gas). The big problem is that they somehow find a way to bypass the forcefield(Seven of Nine can walk through them, Data rips out the wall panels, Borg are immune, etc.

In Voyager it got a bit ridiculous, as even Neelix could rewire the ship so as to prevent anyone from locking onto him or preventing access with a transporter.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote:They beam up people (or objects) without a beacon all the damned time, and have since the TOS days.
sure but I could also write a small novel listing all the things that have blocked transporters or transporter locks.

It's not that they cannot beam things without beacon or equilevant, since they can, but rather it's not something you can rely to work. Which is probably why "beam intruders to brig" isn't part of Starfleet tactical training.

In fact I can remember only one incident of offensive use of transporters (when Voyager beamed in a bomb to a borg ship) but I cannot remember any case of "beam the enemy away" tactic being used.
Mr Hugh Mann
Redshirt

Post by Mr Hugh Mann »

Lord Revan wrote:
Batman wrote:They beam up people (or objects) without a beacon all the damned time, and have since the TOS days.
sure but I could also write a small novel listing all the things that have blocked transporters or transporter locks.

It's not that they cannot beam things without beacon or equilevant, since they can, but rather it's not something you can rely to work. Which is probably why "beam intruders to brig" isn't part of Starfleet tactical training.

In fact I can remember only one incident of offensive use of transporters (when Voyager beamed in a bomb to a borg ship) but I cannot remember any case of "beam the enemy away" tactic being used.
A specific example I can recall of the "beam the enemy away" tactic, was employed by Seven of Nine to transport a Hirogen and a member of Species 8472 onto a neighboring Hirogen vessel (VOY: Prey). It was a particularly interesting example since the bio-electric field of Species 8472 had previously caused difficulties with establishing a target lock with the transporter beam. Granted Seven does not have Starfleet training in any conventional sense, nor did she have any moral compunctions about inhumane transporter use against those two parties.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I had not seen said episode so that would easily explain why I didn't remember it (as I can't remember something I've not seen in the first place).

That said we should assume that ST powers are generally capable of doing their jobs and if a "simple solution" to tactical problem isn't used we should assume that there's limits we're not aware rather then assume ST powers are totally retarded and don't used those tactics because they're too stupid.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It may well be that the reasoning goes like this:
Imaginary Starfleet Redshirt Manual wrote:Our first line of defense is internal security force fields. Those are reliable, humane, and provide secondary protection against all sorts of random unforeseen threats, whereas beaming people around inside the ship can have risks. Granted, technically skilled enemies may be able to bypass our security force fields. But the skill level required to bypass security force fields is comparable to the level required to foil our internal sensors and/or block our transporter beams. So anyone who can laugh off the security fields can laugh off the "beam them into space" trick too.
I suspect that Star Trek ships' internal sensors are fundamentally different from their external ones. And that the external sensors cannot be used to locate objects physically inside the ship.

Beside that, it might actually be quite difficult to lock onto an object inside the hull with a transporter, unless that object is already on the pad.

Think about a cargo crane. The crane can handle huge loads with very impressive precision- but it can't exactly scratch its own back. I can use the crane to pick up a semi trailer and put it down to within a few inches precision on the other side of the cargo facility... but I can't use it to pick up the cup of coffee sitting near me in the control booth.

The reasons for that are mechanical and would not directly apply to a transporter, but something analogous might.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I like to imagine sometimes that transporters were linked to a projector on the outside of the ship, so that the thing on the pad dematerializes and then is projected through a directional projector on the outside of the ship. I do not think that jives with the body of evidence however.