Tactics Scenario: Boarding Action [SW:TFA Spoilers]

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Tactics Scenario: Boarding Action [SW:TFA Spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

One of the emitters; they do say that several emitters on each strip fire simultaneously. But yeah.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:They also gave the type X phasers a whopping 1.02GW while giving the type IIs (you know, the banana phasers) 4.5E7 MJ power cells. A hand phaser power cell therefore should be able to power one of the ship's main phaser arrays for 12 hours of continuous fire. I think it's safe to say the numbers from the TNG TM are questionable at best.
Just because a battery can hold that much power does not mean it can release it quickly enough to power the ships phaser banks. They could just have a ridiculously high density storage method that has a relatively low wattage.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
WATCH-MAN
Padawan Learner

Post by WATCH-MAN »

I just remembered an incident in the TNG episode "The Chase": In this episode, two Cardassian Warships fired several times on the nacelles of the USS Enterprise D while the shields were not activated. Only a power boost to the structural integrity field protected the nacelles.

• 01:17 - 01:48
          [/size]
Assuming that the weapon fire from the Cardassian warships is stronger than what a Sienar-Jaemus F 20 antipersonnel blaster cannon can put out, I doubt that it would be possible to damage the nacelles with the latter.

If that is the case, it would not be possible to force the USS Progress to drop out of warp.

And - considering the position of the phaser banks of the USS Progress - it should be impossible to leave the hangar bay without flying into their firing arc.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Dude, please don't post such absolutely huge images.

On the salient point, thanks for providing the link to The Chase, it's a good example. However, there is a big difference between my plan and the situation in that episode; the Progress would be at warp not sublight. Additionally, from the angles present I would be hitting the big red bit at the front (Bussard collectors?) whereas the Cardassisn hit the top of the nacelles, which appears to be normal hull plates.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

we should noted that a heavy hit to the top of the engineering hull in Nemesis kicked Ent-E out of warp, I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure none of the Scimitar's shots hit the nacelles.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

NecronLord wrote:Doing so fails your mission, as the computer core is not taken intact. Your mission is to capture, not destroy the ship. The Palpatine could have done that in one shot.

Bonus question; what route do you take to engineering? You need to get into the turbolift shafts to cross over from saucer to engineering, or a single passageway.
Had to look back at the OP to realize this was a political mission. The revised plan would depend on a couple of things. Is anyone on the teams familiar enough with Feddie tech to be able to use it? And does the shuttle come equipped with missiles?

As for the bonus question, it depends on which route is shorter. Though I would probably end up sending a fire team of five through the turbolift shaft.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.