A teaser you did not see comming (RAR!)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Zor
Sith Acolyte

A teaser you did not see comming (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, your going out to see a movie at a cinema. You get your seat, your snacks are ready, YOU TURN OFF YOUR PHONE AND KEEP IT OFF FOR THE DURATION OF THE FILM LIKE A DECENT HUMAN BEING WHO DOES NOT REQUIRE NEUROLOGICAL REPROGRAMMING, make yourself comfortable and sit through the adds and similar and then the trailers start.

Only one of them is unexpected. There is an odd combination of logos: Paramount and Lucasfilm. This is followed by the cords of Next Generation theme as it opens on an asteroid field as a starship flies by which is a Starfleet design, which the camera pans over to see is approaching an space anomaly. It then cuts to the bridge showing the captain ask for a report on this anomaly, with a bridge officer saying it looks like a wormhole. The camera moves to a control console, which then fades into a monitor readout with Aurebesh characters. The screen goes back and the words appear "the two greatest worlds of science fiction" in the Star Trek BT font. We then go back to the bridge as an officer says that they've detected movement at a high speed, then we cut outside and move in on a small point of light which bolts from an asteroid as we hear a familiar roar as it darts for the anomaly. We then cut back to the bridge and we commands to follow it as they're trying to get a sensor lock on it but apparently the interference from the anomaly is causing problems and they are loosing and on the viewscreen the image zooms in bit by bit revealing a shape of two hexagonal panels connected to a central spherical body. We then jump to a close up to it as we see a TIE as it quickly makes it way into the clouds of the anomaly. The screen then goes black and the words "Come together" in this font. Then we cut back to the bridge and the sensor officer says they're detecting numerous disturbances in the anomally as we cut back to see the Starfleet ship as overhead comes from the top of the screen the triangular prow of an Imperial Star Destroyer and dozens of TIE fighters advance on the Starfleet ship. We then cut to the it's bridge where an Admiral flanked by a pair of stormtroopers informs another bridge officer "Inform His Majesty that he will soon have an Intergalactic Empire" as we turn to show the Starfleet ship facing turbolaser fire and exploding as the cords to the Imperial March play. Then it cuts to Coming Soon and the the various post trailer lists of names and similar.

After the movie you look it up online and you find out that there is discussion and you find comments about this. The next day you find the trailer online. Apparently they are making a Star Wars vs Star Trek movie, though details are scare at the moment and the teaser is not supposed to show the final product.

What would be your response?

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2016-01-09 09:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: A teaser you did not see comming (RAR!)

Post by NecronLord »

To move the discussion thread into the correct forum.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I would be excited beyond belief, and also slightly worried about them fucking it up to appease fanboys from either side. Similar to how I felt about Episode 7 in the months leading up to it's release.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:I would be excited beyond belief, and also slightly worried about them fucking it up to appease fanboys from either side. Similar to how I felt about Episode 7 in the months leading up to it's release.
Very much this.

I'd also be deeply worried about it upsetting years of long-settled debates about who would win, because let's face it, if it's a film where Starfleet faces off against the Empire, Starfleet will be the good guys and will thus have a disproportionately high chance of success (though not guaranteed, they might be going for a "downer" ending) that will make the Trekkie fanboys squeal with delight and flood onto SDN chanting "I told you so!" as obnoxiously as possible.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'd also be deeply worried about it upsetting years of long-settled debates about who would win, because let's face it, if it's a film where Starfleet faces off against the Empire, Starfleet will be the good guys and will thus have a disproportionately high chance of success (though not guaranteed, they might be going for a "downer" ending) that will make the Trekkie fanboys squeal with delight and flood onto SDN chanting "I told you so!" as obnoxiously as possible.
I would hope for something along the lines of the fanfic "Conquest" which allowed each side to play to their own strengths while cushioning the whole "Empire curbstomps the Federation" thing with a very unexpected (in a good way) ending.

For those who haven't read it, go here:

http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/ ... index.html

It's a good story. :)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Hmmm...a film based on Conquest would be rather interesting, though if they wanted to go the whole hog they could do Stravo's "Starcrossed" for added insanity appeal.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'd hope to not piss of either fanboy side they pull a Batman V Superman and have the two sides fight a bit before teaming up to fight an even greater threat. The Empire with its firepower and Force powers combined with the Federation with its transporters and technobabble magic to fight a threat that threatens them both with threats. Either some expy of another franchise or just something insane like legions of angry fanboys or an invasion of bad fanfic characters.

If they are going to do this they may as well make it as insane as possible. Like Star Destroyers with huge ass warp nacelles bolted on and Vader and Picard as frenemy partners who have to work together despite their clearly incompatible personalities. Admiral Ackbar going around Sesame Street style pointing out bear traps, bird traps, mouse traps, and Line Traps. Ridiculous Micheal Bay style explosions. A giant button on a ship that says "Fire Plot Cannon". Stormtroopers riding wampas riding rancors charging the enemy as missing horribly while all the Redshirts/Goldshirts die spontaneously.

Thats probably the only way a SW V ST movie could work without being completely insufferable or favoring one side over the other.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

they could do Stravo's "Starcrossed" for added insanity appeal.
That one was so huge he never even finished it. :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd accept it (with great enthusiasm) if and only if it was clearly an alternate continuity. Otherwise it would potentially wreak too much havoc on the established time lines and effectively make future stand alone stories impossible.

Edits: Though if it was using the Empire at its height vs. the Federation, it would kind of have to be, unless they wanted to decanonize at least some of the OT (pretty much unthinkable given how much Force Awakens was kissing OT ass).

Unless they made it a very small scale conflict or used the "reset button" via time travel or something like that at the end. Both of which would likely frustrate the audience.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Zor wrote:What would be your response?
Immediate, loud and prolonged insane laughter. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Zor wrote:What would be your response?
Immediate, loud and prolonged insane laughter. :wink:
Laughter or cackling? :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

One interesting question is: Would it be using the original Star Trek timeline, or the Abrams reboot timeline?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

If I were producing this movie, I would use the original timeline. That is the one most people are familiar with. The big question is, would it be in TOS timeline or TNG / DS9 era?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TNG/DS9/Voyager offers a more diverse and developed setting and possibly greater freedom continuity-wise. Even if Kirk and Spock are iconic.

Interesting that you don't even consider Enterprise as an option. ;)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:TNG/DS9/Voyager offers a more diverse and developed setting and possibly greater freedom continuity-wise. Even if Kirk and Spock are iconic.

well considering that ENT era (mirror verse) ships couldn't even make a dent on unshielded connie it would be practically impossible to avoid bashing either side in that era (either ST ships pose a treat in which case you imply that SW are weaker then TOS era ships or ST ships aren't even worth considering as a threat in which it would seem like bashing on trek).

TNG era (I'm including DS9 and VOY here) provides much more in terms of choices to make it so that it doesn't seem like you're being intentionally mean to either side. (for the greater public that is, fanboys would rage if their side isn't depicted as a total "mary sue").
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The obvious way to write it, as I believe I've said before, is to make the Empire overwhelmingly more powerful (you want a threatening villain after all) but have the Federation, as the heroes, win via a fluke/technobabble/outside help (as usual). This lets both sides claim victory- Trekkies can say they won, but the Star Wars fans can say that their side is more powerful (especially if the Federation wins with Rebel/Republic aid).
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The obvious way to write it, as I believe I've said before, is to make the Empire overwhelmingly more powerful (you want a threatening villain after all) but have the Federation, as the heroes, win via a fluke/technobabble/outside help (as usual). This lets both sides claim victory- Trekkies can say they won, but the Star Wars fans can say that their side is more powerful (especially if the Federation wins with Rebel/Republic aid).
another way would be that the Trek "win" doesn't come via destroying the empire (or the imperial taskforce) but somehow convincing them that the war isn't worth it.

Trek still wins but you don't end up with a deux ex machina for it.

Hell you can even use the Old/New Republic as the SW side to make it easier for to say "fighting isn't worth it, lets work for peace!" or you can make the war be the "villain" of the movie with the war starting due a misunderstanding and the heroes from both sides try to fix that mess before it becomes irreverseble.

Personally I'd avoid the "technobabble" solution as it can really easily seem like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and had to do an asspull to solve it.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One interesting question is: Would it be using the original Star Trek timeline, or the Abrams reboot timeline?
STO of course. Transwarp, slipstream, neutronium hulls and transphase torpedos; may as well even the score as much as possible.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Oh good lord, please don't make me laugh this early in the morning. :)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

This said there is something to be said about a story where the Empire comes in peace and meets with Archer who promptly manages to offend them to the point where they declare war.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The big problem with such a teaser emerging today, is that today's audiences are only familiar with Dudebro-Kirk and company, in a 21 Jump Street way. Sure, they're aware that there were Star Trek shows beforehand, but they'll only be wanting to see Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto face off against Kylo Ren and Hux, not Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew.

That said, I expect lens flares, lots and lots of lens flares.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FaxModem1 wrote:That said, I expect lens flares, lots and lots of lens flares.
And a planet in one system being visible in a completely different star system as it explodes.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

My reaction would be speechless and just blabbering gibberish out loud and then say I got nothing. I would also be very worried that they would write it with assumptions that I fined many regular Jane or Joe bloh have like the no lasers argument or Trek technology would be more advanced because it looks cool and they have transporters. Also a related argument to the technology one that star fleet people must be smarter because they use technobabble.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Unless the writer was a die-hard Trekkie and unprofessional enough to let that dictate the story, I doubt that would happen.

The Empire is a tailor-made arch enemy, and you don't want your arch. enemy to be weak. You want them to be bad ass.

Although the Empire has a certain reputation (not entirely undeserved) for incompetence, so Trek guys being smarter could easily happen.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Unless the writer was a die-hard Trekkie and unprofessional enough to let that dictate the story, I doubt that would happen.

The Empire is a tailor-made arch enemy, and you don't want your arch. enemy to be weak. You want them to be bad ass.

Although the Empire has a certain reputation (not entirely undeserved) for incompetence, so Trek guys being smarter could easily happen.
indeed only a Hard Core Trekkie would make the Empire totally toothless and in reverse only hard core Warsie would make the conflict utterly hopeless for the Federation, as neither make a good story writers/producers are more conserned about making a good movie (as those tend to give them more money) then appease one side or another in an internet debate (as that tends to drive away the other side of the debate as well as those who don't give a damn about the debate).