Technobabble™ To The Rescue!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Chris Parr
Padawan Learner

Technobabble™ To The Rescue!

Post by Chris Parr »

Imperial oppression got you down? Well, don't despair because now there's new, improved Technobabble™!

Yes, just apply a bit of Technobabble™ and watch your Imperial problems disappear like magic! Just listen to this satisfied customer!
We were in a runabout when we fell into an Imperial ambush. We were facing down a Star Destroyer, and things looked bleak. Luckily, we had Technobabble™, which we launched at the Star Destroyer. The next thing we knew, their reactor had overloaded and we were free! Thank you, Technobabble™!
Yes, for everything from invasions to god like aliens, Technobabble™ is your go to solution!

Technobabble™, trusted by Starfleet officers for over 300 years.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Technobabble™ To The Rescue!

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

What the hell is wrong with you?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Chris Parr
Padawan Learner

Post by Chris Parr »

I'm on a sugar rush. Why do you ask?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

A), this is bullshit and B) it belongs in Testing and C) you're proving to be a generic Trekkie fanboy so far.

Oh, and posting while high/drunk/on a rush of anything is generally a bad idea.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Huh? I thought it was a rather funny stab at Trek's constant use of bullshit.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Chris Parr
Padawan Learner

Post by Chris Parr »

Thank you.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Huh? I thought it was a rather funny stab at Trek's constant use of bullshit.
Don't you mean, "I am detecting copious amounts of fecal matter rapidly generated by the mammalian Bos taurus organism."
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

How about 'I am applying repeated physical violence to a deceased equine'?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually I thought it was funny too.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Probably not the right forum but I got a laugh out of it.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:A), this is bullshit and B) it belongs in Testing and C) you're proving to be a generic Trekkie fanboy so far.

Oh, and posting while high/drunk/on a rush of anything is generally a bad idea.

Dude take off the control top pantyhose and breathe. While it may be in the wrong section it is clearly a joke and rather a funny one.

I can easily imagine Frakes or Burton doing a parody commercial like this complete with thumbs up at the camera, cheesy grin and gleam of light off teeth.
And now my imagination is off and running .... the bridge crew of Enterprise D doing an infomercial in the style of the Ghostbusters in movie tv commercial, with Wesley as the satisfied customer.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Look over there - it's the Blues Brothers; and they are on a mission from Ghod, and it's a toughie - to inject Eternal_Freedom with a sense of humor.
But yeah, it does more belong in testing (unless we want to gift it with a longer life).
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah, ok. Sorry about that. I should have taken my own damn advice about not posting while drunk/high/sleep-deprived or whatever.

Chris, my apologies.

Chris Parr
Padawan Learner

Post by Chris Parr »

Apology accepted.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

While I do find the OP mildly amusing, What I don't understand is when they use the name for real materials/particles/etc, in a way that either doesn't refer to or behave like, what they're talking about. Why not just make stuff up entirely?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Because they think it makes them sound scientific and they're betting on the viewers not understanding what they're talking about any more than they do.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Because, starting somewhere in TNG, scripts would be written, with the science dialogue just saying [TECH] [TECH], which would later be replaced by whatever consultant they have somewhere in the studio, which would then be recited by the actors, no matter how out of place it was, as the producers, writers, and actors considered the research completely done by having the consultant just sprinkle a couple words into it.

Note, they show in this documentary how it is done: http://youtu.be/eZddzYFhdWQ?t=20m38s

Start at 20:38

Essentially, at some point, technobabble became the magic spell of the day that the crew could use to solve any problem.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

FaxModem1 wrote:Essentially, at some point, technobabble became the magic spell of the day that the crew could use to solve any problem.
It's funny that Frakes mentioned that people "affectionately" refer to it as technobabble. Isn't it generally the opposite? At least among better educated fans.