How much would Starfleet ships sell for in the SW universe?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: How much would Starfleet ships sell for in the SW univer

Post by Venator »

I wonder if you could find a niche transport market somewhere that's hazardous to hyperdrive but not warp. Like an asteroid field you have to go at sublight through due to the "mass shadows" thing, but could simply warp "through".

Of course, the "niche" part of that applies in extremis because normally it'd be faster to just hyperjump around the obstacle.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

How much would an engineering company pay for a ship that has a legitimate proof-of-concept mass production capable cloaking device to sell to the military at enormous prices?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Elheru Aran wrote:Warp drives can be used in-system. Imagine the equivalent of hopping from Earth to Pluto in a few minutes. That could be extremely useful.
What do you mean with in-system? The millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace right after avoiding the two Stardestroyers, practically still in high orbit over Tatooine. That's definitely in-system. There is no hour-long travel to leave the system's gravity well.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

LaCroix wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Warp drives can be used in-system. Imagine the equivalent of hopping from Earth to Pluto in a few minutes. That could be extremely useful.
What do you mean with in-system? The millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace right after avoiding the two Stardestroyers, practically still in high orbit over Tatooine. That's definitely in-system. There is no hour-long travel to leave the system's gravity well.
But she doesn't come out of hyperdrive until they're 'way' outsystem. 'Hopping from Earth to Pluto'. He said as much. And unlike Warp hyperdrive is likely too freaking fast for that. Pluto is at max less than 7 lighthours from Earth. At a leasurely 100K c, that's about a quarter second. And Wars hyperdrive is typically considerably 'faster' than that.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah-- you don't really do 'micro jumps' with hyperdrive all that much. Precision exits are another matter, they're considered a measure of skill or tactical superiority to be able to put your ships right on target when you leave hyperspace. But being able to flit about in a system may well be another matter. And really, there has to be something to the whole gravity well thing, otherwise Interdictor cruisers wouldn't be a thing.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think specific technologies ON the ships would sell for a lot more than the ships themselves. From the point of view of the average Star Wars commercial buyer, a Starfleet-type ship is a heap of scrap iron wrapped around a shiny interesting bundle of transporters, replicators, and possibly holodecks.

Note: this is not to say that there isn't ANY place in Star Wars where we see teleportation, replicator-level production equipment, or VR systems as immersive as the holodeck... although I can't think of any that weren't decanonized with the old EU. But the point is, these technologies are not ubiquitous in the Star Wars universe and all of them would be extremely marketable.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Like I said, mass producable cloaking device, in the sense of building ships anyway. If an engineering firm thought they could reverse engineer that, they'd pay through the teeth. We've seen cloaking(Thrawn), and then it sort of fell by the wayside, because...reasons.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The cloaking Thrawn had at his disposal has a huge weakness: You're blind in there. Without a Force-user at your disposal, you don't know where your enemies are out there. And I would assume the things are expensive enough that, even were a group of pirates to get their grubby little mitts on schematics for one, only a major military organization could build them.

Also, were such cloaking devices to start seeing widespread use there's technology that can detect the gravity of the cloaked ship: gravioli detectorCrystal Gravfield Trap

The cloaking devices Thrawn had at his disposal were of very limited use, and presumably very expensive. That's reason to not use them.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There were also Stygium cloaking devices, such as the one on Darth Maul's Sith interceptor. However those were apparently extremely rare.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Wasn't the stygium cloak rare mainly because it was expensive as fuck? Anyway we know that even without the Thrawn double-blind cloak (which has plenty of uses despite it's obvious drawbacks, as seen in the very trilogy which introduced it), we know Wars has cloaking even in the new canon- 'No ship this small has a cloaking device' in ESB and Anakin used one in TCW (there may be others I've forgotten or am so far unaware of).
That being said, Gaidin has a point-the Romulan 'let's put one in virtually every ship we build' cloak, without the double blind problem, is at least potentially decidedly marketable in the Wars universe. Provided Wars sensors can't just see through it like it wasn't there and it still has the drawback that you can't fire while cloaked (which the Thrawn one didn't).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:The cloaking Thrawn had at his disposal has a huge weakness: You're blind in there. Without a Force-user at your disposal, you don't know where your enemies are out there. And I would assume the things are expensive enough that, even were a group of pirates to get their grubby little mitts on schematics for one, only a major military organization could build them.

Also, were such cloaking devices to start seeing widespread use there's technology that can detect the gravity of the cloaked ship: gravioli detectorCrystal Gravfield Trap

The cloaking devices Thrawn had at his disposal were of very limited use, and presumably very expensive. That's reason to not use them.
Except Star Trek's cloak's aren't that bad. Sure, we're working with inside information, I'll give you that much. But that inside information is about the only thing you have against Star Trek's cloaks. Once Star Wars finds out what they're actually capable of, then their engineers will be all over trying to get them if only to reverse engineer them. 1 billion credits? Yes please. Profits coming.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I always thought the reason behind being unable to fire while cloaked came down to power...they didn't have enough juice for the weapons while the cloak was active. Given how SW power generation is at least a few orders of magnitude higher than ST, I don't think power will be the issue here. The only issue will be that a ship as massive as a Stardestroyer will show up on CGT sensors.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Federation ships might do well as civilian luxury yachts or cruise liners. If all you intend to use it for is tooling around a system or maybe a sector while partying and gambling, most, if not all, of their deficiencies compared to standard Star Wars ships become irrelevant.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Batman wrote:Wasn't the stygium cloak rare mainly because it was expensive as fuck? Anyway we know that even without the Thrawn double-blind cloak (which has plenty of uses despite it's obvious drawbacks, as seen in the very trilogy which introduced it), we know Wars has cloaking even in the new canon- 'No ship this small has a cloaking device' in ESB and Anakin used one in TCW (there may be others I've forgotten or am so far unaware of).
That being said, Gaidin has a point-the Romulan 'let's put one in virtually every ship we build' cloak, without the double blind problem, is at least potentially decidedly marketable in the Wars universe. Provided Wars sensors can't just see through it like it wasn't there and it still has the drawback that you can't fire while cloaked (which the Thrawn one didn't).
Firing while cloaked is not unheard of in Star Trek, but its not common.

Still, it is possible, and perhaps Star Wars engineers could find a way to do it more reliably/routinely.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Batman wrote:Wasn't the stygium cloak rare mainly because it was expensive as fuck? Anyway we know that even without the Thrawn double-blind cloak (which has plenty of uses despite it's obvious drawbacks, as seen in the very trilogy which introduced it), we know Wars has cloaking even in the new canon- 'No ship this small has a cloaking device' in ESB and Anakin used one in TCW (there may be others I've forgotten or am so far unaware of).
Firing while cloaked is not unheard of in Star Trek, but its not common.

Still, it is possible, and perhaps Star Wars engineers could find a way to do it more reliably/routinely.
Well if the ST ship that they're offered is the Scimitar they'd be falling over themselves to get their hands on it. A cloak without the usual cloak weaknesses? Hell yes! :twisted:
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Well if the ST ship that they're offered is the Scimitar they'd be falling over themselves to get their hands on it. A cloak without the usual cloak weaknesses? Hell yes! :twisted:
They'd be falling over themselves to get standard reasonably priced Bird of Prey cloaking they can mass produce at a reasonable price. That they can, you know, scout with. The Scimitar? A prototype? That's a bit harder nailing down. A helluva lot more expensive.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

How well do you think Federation medical tech stands up to Bacta? Also, do you think Data would be considered superior to most droids/HRDs? I guess that last question depends on if we include the EU stuff.

Barring the hyperdrive, I wonder how smaller craft compare to fighters and such? Even the smaller shuttles have shields, and if those could be manufactured cheaply enough, and their power demands were too high, they'd make a great option for fighters and personal craft.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

biostem wrote:Also, do you think Data would be considered superior to most droids/HRDs?
The most impressive computing feat I can remember Data performing, in terms of how difficult it is to program modern computers to do it, is understanding spoken language.

Data has trouble understanding some phrases. C3P0 was easily able to translate between Ewok and Basic. A language only spoken on one habitable world and probably only spoken on part of it if Ewoks have any where near as many languages as humans do today. Either the Rebels were lucky that he spoke that specific Ewok dialect or he understands so many that his claims of being "fluent in over six million forms of communication" are believable.

Also, C3P0 is a mass produced model. Data is not. The knowledge to produce more protocol droids exists, the knowledge used to build Data has been lost with the death of his creator.

I can't recall enough off-hand to compare Data's physical capabilities with that of the high end SW examples.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

biostem wrote:How well do you think Federation medical tech stands up to Bacta? Also, do you think Data would be considered superior to most droids/HRDs? I guess that last question depends on if we include the EU stuff.

Barring the hyperdrive, I wonder how smaller craft compare to fighters and such? Even the smaller shuttles have shields, and if those could be manufactured cheaply enough, and their power demands were too high, they'd make a great option for fighters and personal craft.
Federation medical technology ranges from preposterous magic to worse than our own depending on the circumstances. But on the whole, I'd say that its better than Star Wars medical technology (although Star Wars is very good with prosthetics, as shown by Luke's new hand in The Empire Strikes Back).
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Federation medical tech is much like their other tech - really advanced but common sense has gone by the wayside. How many medical emergencies and viral outbreaks would have occurred if they had actual quarantine rooms instead of just forcefields?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I would say the medical tech is possibly on par. There's only so much you can do with the human (or alien) body, the only thing that's different between the two universes is the tech level. An argument could potentially be made that Star Trek's medtech only appears 'advanced' because so many of their aliens are variations upon the same biological form seeded through the galaxy, and thus it's easier to adapt between species, while Wars has more genuinely different aliens. Of course, (in the new) canonically we really don't see a whole lot of medical tech in use, so there's not much to deduce from.

As for Data: SW already has human replica droids, which are extremely similar in concept and execution, if not slightly better. He might be notable for different technology, but other than that, he wouldn't particularly impress anybody.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Now Star Trek holograms, on the other hand, are something I don't think Star Wars rivals.

As for the amount of Star Wars medical technology, the films give us genetic engineering (the clones), advanced prosthetics (Luke and Vader's limbs), Vader's and Grievous's life support, medical droids, and bacta. That's quite a bit to go on.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Medtech: True, I'd forgotten about a few of those points. Nothing that Trek can't really match, although Grievous is definitely exceptional, and the clones are produced on a scale that only the Dominion comes close to. Bacta is not much different from the magic pill that cured an old lady's cancer if you think about it. Trek also doesn't seem to do prosthetics all that much, can't say I remember anybody Federation wearing one but then it was never really something I looked for. What did they do with Worf's spine that time, replicate the spinal cord or something?

Holograms... well in the EU you had things like "Hologram Fun World" and personal holo-emitters for cloaking. However it's true that ST appears to have developed holo technology to a consistently higher level-- their holograms are more 'solid' and realistic looking, versus SW's which tend to have a slightly staticky look to them. Although the ones in Coruscant in Episode 2 weren't bad, but they were more or less on the level of large neon or LED signs rather than trying to be realistic depictions from what I recall.

In the long view of things though, medical technology is more valuable than holograms, which have some applications but would ultimately be fairly superficial as Wars already has a lot of things that do similar functions; droids rather than the EMH, for example. The holodeck is very different from most canon holographic effects in Wars, but unless you used it as a military training tool (and there are indications that they do in fact have something very similar in background material on the Clones' training) there's not many applications that aren't essentially entertainment.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Entertainment is a big industry. Holograms could make some people very rich.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Probably. If that's the main concern here, yeah, you could do a lot with that as long as you can keep the 'patent' or whatever close to your chest. It might be comparable to... I don't know, going from VHS to HDTV quality-wise. I'm sure Wars has holo tech that can come fairly close to Trek's, but probably not cheap. In Trek, a skeevy bar on a frontier space station has *several* holodecks (IIRC, at least a couple anyway... granted Ferengi are probably a little better at economizing in order to afford some luxuries, and they were always breaking down, but still). So yeah, that is impressive by comparison. The safety record might be cause for concern, though!