A jar of sand?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Generalissimo
Redshirt

A jar of sand?

Post by Generalissimo »

I've occasionally considered the following scenario for the United Federations of Planets against Galactic Empire.
Possible method to destroy anything from a Death Star to Imperial Center.
Beyond the obvious setback of just having one the plan superficially it looks good on paper.
Of course our more critical minds here ought provide a better analysis.

Operation for Whom Gods Destroy: Garth’s Requiem
(We’ve got a jar of sand!)
Pull a certain small flask, Garth of Izar’s weapon, from storage.
A single grain the size of sand can vaporize a person.
Pound-for-pound way more powerful than antimatter.
There is only a single flask.
One flask can easily destroy a planet many times over.
How many things can withstand a planet shattering weapon?
Try launching Garth’s flask at you opponent!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: A jar of sand?

Post by Borgholio »

What the...fuck?

Ok sorry to burst your bubble but if a grain of sand can vaporize a person then it is WAY less powerful than antimatter. Half a gram of antimatter = Hiroshima. Even if it were as powerful as antimatter you're still looking at less than the yield of a standard photon torpedo.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

At least the visuals aren't hopelessly incompatible with actual vapourization for a change.
Of course, they don't do much to support it either-given how thick the fog is on the ground in that sequence a complete undamaged body wouldn't necessarily be visible, leave alone person pieces strewn over the place.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

Borgholio wrote:What the...fuck?

Ok sorry to burst your bubble but if a grain of sand can vaporize a person then it is WAY less powerful than antimatter. Half a gram of antimatter = Hiroshima. Even if it were as powerful as antimatter you're still looking at less than the yield of a standard photon torpedo.
Gain of sand vaporized a person *and* somehow produced a rather sizable blast.
In addition I am taking all of Garth's questionable rantings at literal face value.
Batman wrote:At least the visuals aren't hopelessly incompatible with actual vapourization for a change.
Of course, they don't do much to support it either-given how thick the fog is on the ground in that sequence a complete undamaged body wouldn't necessarily be visible, leave alone person pieces strewn over the place.
I was rather impressed with the particular effect for late 1960's television.
That literally inspired this little topic.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-it didn't look like anything special to me? Just your garden variety TV explosion with a flash, a bang, lots of smoke, and exactly zero effect on the surroundings.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'