The Borg in Star Trek?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: The Borg in Star Trek?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well we know the looted transwarp coil was able to take Voyager 10,000 light years before failing, after it took the Delta Flyer to the unicomplex and back, and that's with the thing being unmaintained.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Right but how quickly did it accomplish that? Would a conduit have taken Voyager that 10k LY faster than the coil? I'm not sure that is ever actually explained.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

True, it said nothing about speed, but it does give an idea of the range before it needs refuelling and/or maintenance.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

That raises another interesting question. So much is made of the Imperials being dumped into the Milky Way and having a difficult time supporting themselves due to a lack of maintenance depots, spare parts, fuel, etc...

Without waving the magic "Borg can build and assimilate anything with nano probes" wand, wouldn't a cube eventually run into the same issues? Regeneration could only reasonably be able to go so far before the cube needs to restock on raw materials, fuel, spare parts, etc... Could they acquire that on their own simply by assimilation? Would the Borg be completely self-sufficient or still require some level of external support?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Insufficient data. Raw materials are to be had aplenty without them ever running into a single soul and a Borg cube (or at least the typical 3km a side one) is plenty big enough for at least limited resource extraction and refinement facilities, as well as manufacturing. Problem is I don't think we're ever actually told they have them. And without those, yeah, they face the exact same problems as the Imperials, except a billion times worse, because at least for a while, the Imperials get to blithely blow anything that opposes the out of the sky with impunity. The Borg...not so much.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'