How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Batman wrote:A square mile or two. Seriously. The imperials land less than a thousand metres from the rebel base but yet need to travel for several minutes to get into firing range of the Rebel positions. Are you sure you watched the same Star Wars series the rest of humanity did?
Not to mention the AT-AT gunner clearly stating the range to target being 17.28 kilometres.
no he doesn't he says One-seven decimal two-eight.

There is no mention of meters or kilometers

do i get to call you a liar now and have dishonest debate tactics?
What other unit would they use? The Star Wars galaxy clearly uses the metric system, sicne Dodonna describes the thermal exhaust port as "2 metres wide," Luke refers to womp rates in the same units.

So either the AT-AT was only 17.28 metres away, which is absurd, or it's 17.28 kilometres, which is consistent with the visuals.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

WTF? serioulsy you have the balls to say I lied or i'm practicing dishonest debate? You JUST SAID THAT I SAID
Eternal_Freedom wrote: You also specifically referred to "and all the oxygen released by other elements." That quite clearly shows you were not using the correct "element on the periodic table" definition, since it is impossible for oxygen to be part of another element.
You lied about what I said.

Now my full quote is nothing like you have been trying to say AT ALL. Once again you goal post shift.

You clearly had no clue to what you have been talking about as shown by the constant goal post shifting

I quoted the part that you missunderstood which as it turns out you were just lying about.

so here is the full quote
Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidants which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.

Now yes that is a mistake. Its not what i meant to write. What i was actually saying was

Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidants. Some oxidants create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.

BUT That isn't even close to what you objected to. You stated many times what you actually thought was wrong.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

malguslover wrote:
Xess wrote:
malguslover wrote:why would there be debris right away? It's got to fly up and escape the atmosphere and continue this happens in the span of less then 1 sec its about right.
The impact would have to send debris at 2400 km/s to get it 100km up in 1 frame. I see no problem with an event that produces enough energy to mass scatter a planet in under a second producing a plasma flare at the point of impact with a 2400 km/s average particle velocity.

Anyway, I've already stated that your conclusion is a rational one. It disagree with it for reasons I have already stated. Maybe in the new movies planetary shields will get a dialogue mention or obvious SFX depiction or an equally obvious denial of their existence. Until then we'll be disagreeing.
wouldn't any debris at the impact site be instantly vaporized? Any debris that did fly up would have to be away from the intense thermal energy of the main super laser
Of course matter at the impact site would be instantly vaporized, which is why I then said "producing a plasma flare at the point of impact with a 2400 km/s average particle velocity." I was using debris as a general descriptor of matter flung out from the impact site, not a specific description of chunks of rock.
Image[
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Batman wrote:A square mile or two. Seriously. The imperials land less than a thousand metres from the rebel base but yet need to travel for several minutes to get into firing range of the Rebel positions. Are you sure you watched the same Star Wars series the rest of humanity did?
Not to mention the AT-AT gunner clearly stating the range to target being 17.28 kilometres.
no he doesn't he says One-seven decimal two-eight.

What other unit would they use? The Star Wars galaxy clearly uses the metric system, sicne Dodonna describes the thermal exhaust port as "2 metres wide," Luke refers to womp rates in the same units.

So either the AT-AT was only 17.28 metres away, which is absurd, or it's 17.28 kilometres, which is consistent with the visuals.
LIAR! once again you are using dishonest debate tactics. You tried to pass off your own conjecture as fact

What else could they use? Umm I don't know space units? If you really want to stick with the metric system which of course there is no proof of that how about Hectometers?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:WTF? serioulsy you have the balls to say I lied or i'm practicing dishonest debate? You JUST SAID THAT I SAID
Eternal_Freedom wrote: You also specifically referred to "and all the oxygen released by other elements." That quite clearly shows you were not using the correct "element on the periodic table" definition, since it is impossible for oxygen to be part of another element.

Now my full quote is nothing like you have been trying to say AT ALL. Once again you goal post shift.

You clearly had no clue to what you have been talking about as shown by the constant goal post shifting

I quoted the part that you missunderstood which as it turns out you were just lying about.

Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidants which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.

Now yes that is a mistake. Its not what i meant to write. What i was actually saying was

Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidants. Some oxidants create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.

BUT That isn't even close to what you objected to. You stated many times what you actually thought was wrong.
You tried to avoid admitting your mistake by only quoting a part of your post and claiming that what I posted, a quote from you, was me misreading what you wrote. That is how you lied. It may not have been what you meant to write, but it is what you wrote, you can't lie about it and get away with it.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

LIAR! once again you are using dishonest debate tactics. You tried to pass off your own conjecture as fact

What else could they use? Umm I don't know space units? If you really want to stick with the metric system which of course there is no proof of that how about Hectometers?
"The approach will not be easy. You're required to maneuver straight down this trench, and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide."
"That's impossible, even for a computer."
"It's not impossible, I used to bulls-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

They clearly mention meters, you stupid fucker.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Borgholio wrote:
LOL Holy Shit. Now you're just grasping at straws. Meters are the standard units of measurement in the Star Wars universe. What else would he be counting out? Rods? Leagues? Cubits?

Edit - nice ninja edit by the way.
you got a canon source for that?

Because a scientific mind like yours knows that you never guess at units. For all we know its 17.28 dogs fucking.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Borgholio wrote:

"The approach will not be easy. You're required to maneuver straight down this trench, and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide."
"It's not impossible, I used to bulls-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

never said there wasn't But why do you think meters are the only source of measurement?
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
malguslover wrote:WTF? serioulsy you have the balls to say I lied or i'm practicing dishonest debate? You JUST SAID THAT I SAID

You tried to avoid admitting your mistake by only quoting a part of your post and claiming that what I posted, a quote from you, was me misreading what you wrote. That is how you lied. It may not have been what you meant to write, but it is what you wrote, you can't lie about it and get away with it.
no I quoted the part that you said was wrong.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Xess wrote: Of course matter at the impact site would be instantly vaporized, which is why I then said "producing a plasma flare at the point of impact with a 2400 km/s average particle velocity." I was using debris as a general descriptor of matter flung out from the impact site, not a specific description of chunks of rock.

ahh i got you know cool beans
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Borgholio wrote:

never said there wasn't But why do you think meters are the only source of measurement?

You said: "If you really want to stick with the metric system which of course there is no proof of that how about Hectometers?"

Metres are the base SI unit for distance. They

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: You said: "If you really want to stick with the metric system which of course there is no proof of that how about Hectometers?"

Metres are the base SI unit for distance. They
cool story bro so you are now claiming its 17.28 meters.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote: no I quoted the part that you said was wrong.
Nope. I quoted the full part, which included you basic error. You tried to pass that off as me misreading it by only posting part of your statement and dismissed the rest as me goal post shofting.

That is dishonest.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Fine, let's use hectometres (completely incompatible with the visuals but let's roll with it for the moment). The Imperials landed within a thousand metres of the Rebel Base but needed several minutes to get to within ...1700 metres of the shield generator. I'm sorry, isn't that considerably more than the distance you claimed they were from the Rebel base when they landed?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:Fine, let's use hectometres (completely incompatible with the visuals but let's roll with it for the moment). The Imperials landed within a thousand metres of the Rebel Base but needed several minutes to get to within ...1700 metres of the shield generator. I'm sorry, isn't that considerably more than the distance you claimed they were from the Rebel base when they landed?
if its 2 miles like i suggested that would put them 3218.69
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

3218.69 what from what?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

you got a canon source for that?
Episode 4 - Death Star attack briefing.
Why would they switch back and forth between units of measurement? You claimed to be Navy, did you report distance as miles and kilometers at the same time? No, you picked one and stuck with it. Why would an Imperial General use some arbitrary unit of measurement when another (ex) Imperial General uses another? That makes not a single lick of sense at all.
Because a scientific mind like yours knows that you never guess at units.
At least I'm not guessing that they use uncommon measurements such as hectometer, totally fictional measurements like space units, or your preferred units of dogs fucking.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Borgholio wrote:Why doesn't Mandalore have one? Who knows. It's a reasonable assumption that they could if they really wanted to.
If they wanted to is a big if. Maybe they have cultural reasons for not wanting one. Maybe they thought they didn't have enemies strong enough to justify the cost of a shield over spending the money elsewhere.

The Rebels knew that the Empire was an enemy large enough to justify a shield. Plus knew that if they turned on the shield, it means the Empire had found them and they would be evacuating Hoth. So they only needed a low quality shield that would last long enough for them to evacuate, not one that needs to hold out against a siege for much longer and remain operational afterwards.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
malguslover wrote: no I quoted the part that you said was wrong.
Nope. I quoted the full part, which included you basic error. You tried to pass that off as me misreading it by only posting part of your statement and dismissed the rest as me goal post shofting.

That is dishonest.
are you fucking with me now? Seriously?

sigh i can't beleive you are making me recap the conversation we JUST HAD
You were talking about all the oxygen released during Alderaan's destruction allowing combustion. You also specifically referred to "and all the oxygen released by other elements." That quite clearly shows you were not using the correct "element on the periodic table" definition, since it is impossible for oxygen to be part of another element.
you said that i was wrong because I said that "and all the oxygen released by other elements"

I'm not making this shit up its right there in black and white.

Your issue from your own mouth was that I said that oxygen released by other elements.

You tried to lie and say that i said "oxygen released by other elements"

So i looked back at what i wrote and found the quote
Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements
and that is what i quoted because you tried to say i said something different there.

Once again you when you are proven wrong you try to lie your way out of it and you keep making shit up.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

bilateralrope wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Why doesn't Mandalore have one? Who knows. It's a reasonable assumption that they could if they really wanted to.
If they wanted to is a big if. Maybe they have cultural reasons for not wanting one. Maybe they thought they didn't have enemies strong enough to justify the cost of a shield over spending the money elsewhere.

The Rebels knew that the Empire was an enemy large enough to justify a shield. Plus knew that if they turned on the shield, it means the Empire had found them and they would be evacuating Hoth. So they only needed a low quality shield that would last long enough for them to evacuate, not one that needs to hold out against a siege for much longer and remain operational afterwards.
Very true, but that just reinforces the idea of a planetary shield. If the one on Hoth was their version of a cheap Chinese knock-off and it was able to hold off an entire fleet of Star Destroyers, what would a good / big one be able to do?
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Esquire wrote:3218.69 what from what?
my fault that should be 3218.69 meters from the rebel base. Outside the shield. Again it could be another mile i'm not married to the idea.

The point im making is the Deflector shield on Hoth didn't cover a huge portion of the planet. Make it 100 miles and thats still a very small area on a planet. That would be the size of about a city i'm thinking maybe a county?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Except you suggested one or two square miles. That's an area, not a distance. And given that area yeah, I'm very much afraid my calculations are correct-if we assume the Imps landed immediately outside your 2 square mile shield, yes, they were less then a kilometre from the rebel base.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

bilateralrope wrote:

But would Allderaan have one then? Allderaan was an important planet in the Imperal Senate what did they have to fear?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Once again you are only quoting part of your statement, ignoring the part with the error!

"Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidants which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations."

You clearly state that "some elements that are oxidants which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations." It is impossible for this to happen..

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:Except you suggested one or two square miles. That's an area, not a distance. And given that area yeah, I'm very much afraid my calculations are correct-if we assume the Imps landed immediately outside your 2 square mile shield, yes, they were less then a kilometre from the rebel base.
fine make it 5 square miles like i said it could be 100 square miles and still not be a significant poriton of the planet as other suggested. I'm not married to the idea of 2 square miles.

I find it weird on these boards that people latch on to one thing as if that validates everything they said.