How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

Post by Thanas »

B.Sc. in what?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Thanas wrote:B.Sc. in what?
Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology specifically in Nuclear Engineering
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:No, I just want an answer. I want to know what level of education you reached, because you are so sure you can correct the rest of us. My degree may have been worthless after all, so I'd like to know.
oh in that case a bachelors of science

Now we are getting somewhere. From where? You have to admit that the way you said it does sound liek you're making it up.

Just you don't feel threatened, here's mine: BSc Honours in Observational Astronomy (First Class), awarded by the University of South Wales (formerly the University of Glamorgan) and tutored by Professor Paul Roche, Dr. Sarah Roberts, Dr. Fraser Lewis and Dr. Martin Griffiths.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:No, I just want an answer. I want to know what level of education you reached, because you are so sure you can correct the rest of us. My degree may have been worthless after all, so I'd like to know.
oh in that case a bachelors of science

Now we are getting somewhere. From where? You have to admit that the way you said it does sound liek you're making it up.

Just you don't feel threatened, here's mine: BSc Honours in Observational Astronomy (First Class), awarded by the University of South Wales (formerly the University of Glamorgan) and tutored by Professor Paul Roche, Dr. Sarah Roberts, Dr. Fraser Lewis and Dr. Martin Griffiths.
Thomas Edison University. I was a Navy Nuke
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Getting better. Now, why did it take you so long to tell us this? Why did it take eight different questions just to admit to what you had, and two more to what field and from where?

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Getting better. Now, why did it take you so long to tell us this? Why did it take eight different questions just to admit to what you had, and two more to what field and from where?
few reasons
1. its not really important as having it or not having it doesn't invalidate anything I had said.

2. I don't like giving information about myself on the internet.

3. The mod asked nicely
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Getting better. Now, why did it take you so long to tell us this? Why did it take eight different questions just to admit to what you had, and two more to what field and from where?
few reasons
1. its not really important as having it or not having it doesn't invalidate anything I had said.

2. I don't like giving information about myself on the internet.

3. The mod asked nicely
1. It was important because you made a point of correcting everyone

2. I can understand

3. So did I. Multiple times, and only after you mocked my degree.

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:

2. I can understand

1. not really my corrections were well correct. If you claim the sky is green and you are right because you have a degree and i don't does that make you correct?

2. yup

3. yeah but you were already name calling at this point.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:

2. I can understand

1. not really my corrections were well correct. If you claim the sky is green and you are right because you have a degree and i don't does that make you correct?

2. yup

3. yeah but you were already name calling at this point.
No your corrections were wrong. I (and Borgholio, and others) weren't right because I had a degree (I dunno about the others) but because we knew what we were talking about.

Name calling is perfectly acceptable on this forum. Deal with it.

Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

We know that in Star Wars they can generate shields that can cover small moons. Why? Because the Death Stars have shields and are the size of small moons. DS2 is something like 900km in diameter in the film. If they can make a shield that can envelop a 900km space station (remotely at that) they could do the same for a planetary body. I see no reason why multiple such generators couldn't be used to cover an entire planet. Even if they were limited to 900km diameter bubbles it would take 802 to cover the surface of Earth with them. Considering that they can build the freakin Death Stars I'm pretty confident that 802 shield generators would not be beyond their abilities.
Image[
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Xess wrote:We know that in Star Wars they can generate shields that can cover small moons. Why? Because the Death Stars have shields and are the size of small moons. DS2 is something like 900km in diameter in the film. If they can make a shield that can envelop a 900km space station (remotely at that) they could do the same for a planetary body. I see no reason why multiple such generators couldn't be used to cover an entire planet. Even if they were limited to 900km diameter bubbles it would take 802 to cover the surface of Earth with them. Considering that they can build the freakin Death Stars I'm pretty confident that 802 shield generators would not be beyond their abilities.
anything is possible but its never mentioned or shown i the 6 movies or 121 episodes of TCW.

Planets like
Geonosis
Manadlore
Kamino
Kashyyyk

all SHOULD have planetary shields but they don't and they all ended up getting invaded.
I mean really Mandalore doesn't have a planetary sheild? That right there is proof they don't exist.

Oh there is also Umbara. There's a planet with incredibly advadnce tech and shields but no planetary shield.

Remember Planetary shields are something that was added long after A New Hope.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Why does Mandalore not having a planetary shield count as proof they don't exist? Every book I read that included Mandalore said it was a rather backwards world, almost feudal or tribal, not given to high technology.

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
No your corrections were wrong. I (and Borgholio, and others) weren't right because I had a degree (I dunno about the others) but because we knew what we were talking about.

Name calling is perfectly acceptable on this forum. Deal with it.
and here I thought we reached an accord.

1. Ok every definition i posted was correct. Oh and Molecules are 2 or more elements bonded together. They are still elements. If you feel otherwise please point out which ones are wrong.

2. I have no problem with name calling the issue is if you are name calling you aren't asking nice.

3. so what about the planets I listed that don't have planetary shields but should and would need them?
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Why does Mandalore not having a planetary shield count as proof they don't exist? Every book I read that included Mandalore said it was a rather backwards world, almost feudal or tribal, not given to high technology.
the books aren't canon. Mandalore is anything but backwards its as advance as Corriscaunt

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... rk-TMP.png
does that look backwards to you?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:[

1. Ok every definition i posted was correct. Oh and Molecules are 2 or more elements bonded together. They are still elements. If you feel otherwise please point out which ones are wrong.
Ummmm....no, a molecule is distinct from an element. You don't look at water, or salt, or iron oxide and say "They're elements." You say, correctly, they're molecules. They are made of elements, not elements themselves.

Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

We know that coming out of hyperspace to far from the target planet gives time to raise shields from The Empire Strikes Back. Planetary shields could be the same and a well executed attack would catch the planet with lowered shields and be able to destroy the generators before the shield can go online.
Image[
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:

Ummmm....no, a molecule is distinct from an element. You don't look at water, or salt, or iron oxide and say "They're elements." You say, correctly, they're molecules. They are made of elements, not elements themselves.
so that is the only correction you think you are right about.

Let me remind you that you said this
I am referring to elements in the physical, scientific sense. As in, the ~118 known varieties of atoms, differentiated by atomic number. Not "a component of a reaction" Since you claim to be "correcting our misconceptions of science" you should know this.
You said that Elements aren't a component of a reaction. Which they are. Along with Molocules which are made of Elements and guess what? they are made from reactions!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

malguslover wrote:all SHOULD have planetary shields but they don't and they all ended up getting invaded.
I mean really Mandalore doesn't have a planetary sheild? That right there is proof they don't exist.
Germany is at least as advanced as the USA. Yet they don't have nuclear weapons. Therefore this is proof nuclear weapons do not exist.

Do you see the flaw in that logic?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Xess wrote:We know that coming out of hyperspace to far from the target planet gives time to raise shields from The Empire Strikes Back. Planetary shields could be the same and a well executed attack would catch the planet with lowered shields and be able to destroy the generators before the shield can go online.
Again completely agree but in the examples I gave all of those planets had time to raise planetary shields and protect themselves. But they didn't because they didn't exist.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Thanas wrote:
malguslover wrote:all SHOULD have planetary shields but they don't and they all ended up getting invaded.
Germany is at least as advanced as the USA. Yet they don't have nuclear weapons. Therefore this is proof nuclear weapons do not exist.

Mandalore not having shields is a big deal. They are a warrior race.

The point i'm making is that in the 6 movies and 121 epsidoes of the clone wars not a single mention of Planetary shields happens. Especially in situations where it would have been extremely useful.

Just off the top of my head there are those planets that were all attacked by either the Republic or the Seperatists and not a single mention of planetary shields occurred.

What was the name of the planet at the start of TCW movie? There is another example of a planet that should have had a planetary shield and thus been able to not be invaded.

edit: also doesn't Germany not have nukes because of WW2? I'm probably wrong about that

double edit: Oh and yeah that logic doesn't work because We know nuclear weapons exist and we know america has them. In Star Wars there isn't a single mention of planetary shields existing in the canon now and we have never seen or heard of them.
Last edited by malguslover on 2014-04-29 07:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:

so that is the only correction you think you are right about.

Let me remind you that you said this
I am referring to elements in the physical, scientific sense. As in, the ~118 known varieties of atoms, differentiated by atomic number. Not "a component of a reaction" Since you claim to be "correcting our misconceptions of science" you should know this.
You said that Elements aren't a component of a reaction. Which they are. Along with Molocules which are made of Elements and guess what? they are made from reactions!
You misrepresent me once again. I was explaining what I meant by the term. I said that when I referred to elements, I meant chemical elements on the periodic table, not as components of a reaction. I did not say that elements are not components of a reaction. I meant elements in the physical, chemical sense rather than the linguistic sense synonymous with component.

Stop misrepresenting what I say. That is also not the only one of your "corrections" I take issue with, it's merely the onyl one that was right there, I didn't want to waste time going back over every post of yours to point out the flaws when I and others have already done that once at least.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

malguslover wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Why does Mandalore not having a planetary shield count as proof they don't exist? Every book I read that included Mandalore said it was a rather backwards world, almost feudal or tribal, not given to high technology.
the books aren't canon. Mandalore is anything but backwards its as advance as Corriscaunt
I see exactly nothing in that picture that couldn't be done with 19th (if you want to be grumpy, early 20th) century real world technology. As evidence of Wankalore being up there with the technological cream of the crop of the Old Republic, that picture seriously fails to deliver.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:

You misrepresent me once again. I was explaining what I meant by the term. I said that when I referred to elements, I meant chemical elements on the periodic table, not as components of a reaction. I did not say that elements are not components of a reaction. I meant elements in the physical, chemical sense rather than the linguistic sense synonymous with component.

Stop misrepresenting what I say. That is also not the only one of your "corrections" I take issue with, it's merely the onyl one that was right there, I didn't want to waste time going back over every post of yours to point out the flaws when I and others have already done that once at least.
ugggghhhh they are the same thing....
2 Fe + 3 Cl2 = 2 FeCl3

Fe Guess what that is? Its Iron! Atomic number 26

no because you were wrong about the other corrections otherwise you would have already said something when i corrected you.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

malguslover wrote:
Thanas wrote:

*snip*
I want you to address the flaw in your logic. Your argument proves nothing as I have outlined the flaw in logic above.

Mandalore not having shields is a big deal. They are a warrior race.
By the description in the clone wars they are a pacifist planet. In any case, they also do not have huge ships, not any dedicated warships larger than a fighter etc. They are pathetic.
The point i'm making is that in the 6 movies and 121 epsidoes of the clone wars not a single mention of Planetary shields happens.
They are shown though. Remember the Ghosts of Mortis? Definitely showed a planetary shield being overwhelmed by the Death Star.
------------
------------
My LPs
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:
malguslover wrote:
I see exactly nothing in that picture that couldn't be done with 19th (if you want to be grumpy, early 20th) century real world technology. As evidence of Wankalore being up there with the technological cream of the crop of the Old Republic, that picture seriously fails to deliver.
ehh its the one that was on wookipeida. Here's a clip of the planet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZnApL52Dpg

Its almost a carbon copy of Coriscont

But am I the only one that has seen the Clone Wars? because it sure seems that way.