Imperial counters if Borg adaptation works

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Imperial counters if Borg adaptation works

Post by Captain Seafort »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Which you'd think he'd have considered doing anyway- rotate shield modulation and firing photon torpedoes. And given that Geordi would have to be actually looking at a console with the shield freq, the bugged visor would be useless to the Duras Sisters if they're being hammered with weapons fire :lol:
That precise scenario, IIRC, was either filmed or just written in the script, but then cut.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

That precise scenario, IIRC, was either filmed or just written in the script, but then cut.
Huh...if that were the case, it must have taken awhile for the E-D to figure it out since just one or two hits from a BoP wouldn't be enough to damage the ship that much.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

In my Opinion that Space battle in generations was the worst space battle in Star Trek because of what was mentioned earlier riker only Shoots one shot I mean this is a bird of pray agenst the flag ship Just because They hold up against one shot doesn't mean their shields won't get taken down by several more one of the duras sisters Even Said That They were no Mach for them. the Enterprise Should of just kept firing and thay should have been taken out pretty Quickly but as was Mentioned earlier the Feds aren't to bright when it comes to military tactics I mean what do you expect With a military organization that doesn't even want to admit that their a military organization and who Uses Navel personnel for ground troops And sends them down with nothing but a handgun and a rifle.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Borgholio wrote:
Huh...if that were the case, it must have taken awhile for the E-D to figure it out since just one or two hits from a BoP wouldn't be enough to damage the ship that much.
We're talking about the E-D. That ship's Warp core goes critical if somebody insults it. And this is 24th century Starfleet engineering we're talking about. a hit anywhere on the ship can cause damage anywhere else.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Batman wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
We're talking about the E-D. That ship's Warp core goes critical if somebody insults it. And this is 24th century Starfleet engineering we're talking about. a hit anywhere on the ship can cause damage anywhere else.
Like that huge explosion on the bridge that happens when they trigger the "ionic pulse", even though every hit was to the engineering section. :lol:

To be fair that's explained in-universe by the Klingons aiming to destroy, and by the time they decide to target the bridge it's too late. Though why they didn't do that with the first shot is also questionable :banghead: It also makes the saucer landing scenes easier to film since they didn't have to use a visibly damaged model.

I'm assuming that the "magnetic interlocks" that were ruptured regulated the flow of M/AM into the reaction chamber, which might explain why they couldn't simply eject the core. What didn't make sense is why there was no similar mechanism to eject/vent the antimatter into space as a backup. And it's not like there'd be no Ent-E afterwards; the Ent-A was decommissioned after getting shot up in the previous film to make way for the Enterprise-B so there exists a precedent.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

There IS supposedly an antimatter ejection system too. But as usual, it didn't work. Fact is I can only recall two times in the entire ST saga where the core ejection system worked - once in Voyager and once in Insurrection.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Borgholio wrote:There IS supposedly an antimatter ejection system too. But as usual, it didn't work. Fact is I can only recall two times in the entire ST saga where the core ejection system worked - once in Voyager and once in Insurrection.
They managed to eject the core twice in Voyager - Cathexis and Day Honour. Of the three cases, however, only Day of Honour was due to potentially lethal damage. The other two were to disable Voyager and try and seal the Son'a subspace tear.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Borgholio wrote:There IS supposedly an antimatter ejection system too. But as usual, it didn't work. Fact is I can only recall two times in the entire ST saga where the core ejection system worked - once in Voyager and once in Insurrection.
They managed to eject the core twice in Voyager - Cathexis and Day Honour. Of the three cases, however, only Day of Honour was due to potentially lethal damage. The other two were to disable Voyager and try and seal the Son'a subspace tear.
Actually for Voyager it was four- there was also Renaissance Man and Course: Oblivion, though the latter was too much for the silver blood copy to handle.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Actually for Voyager it was four- there was also Renaissance Man and Course: Oblivion, though the latter was too much for the silver blood copy to handle.
So... The starship stranded far out in space, on the other side of the galaxy with no hope or prayer for resupply ejects its warp core, the main power generation/FTL component. And it does this more than once?

Anyone seeing something here?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So... The starship stranded far out in space, on the other side of the galaxy with no hope or prayer for resupply ejects its warp core, the main power generation/FTL component. And it does this more than once?

They replicated new warp cores. Just like they replicated new shuttlecraft and photorps.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Nemesis showed displays with sections of shielding failing, and supporting dialogue.

Of course in the series (ENT using "Hull Plating") shield strength percentages are mentioned as a unified whole.

In real life specific status of specifically stressed shield sectors would be critically important, but in TV it's not as dramatic, plus the post battle damage report dialogue would eat up too much screen time.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Borgholio wrote:

They replicated new warp cores. Just like they replicated new shuttlecraft and photorps.
No. They explicitly retrieved the warp core after ejecting it. Not even VGR mashed the reset button that hard.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Crazedwraith wrote:
No. They explicitly retrieved the warp core after ejecting it. Not even VGR mashed the reset button that hard.
I was being sarcastic. I know they eventually got it back but given they were able to build over a dozen new shuttles and the Delta Flyer, they either had to be able to build new warp cores or they just had ton of the shuttlecraft-grade cores in storage for some reason.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-Warp-capable shuttle does not equal shuttle equipped with a Warp Core. We've known since TOS that being Warp capable does not require a Warp Core.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Batman wrote:Um-Warp-capable shuttle does not equal shuttle equipped with a Warp Core. We've known since TOS that being Warp capable does not require a Warp Core.
Can you please refresh my memory on where that is mentioned? From an in-universe standpoint, it is stated that even the Phoenix had a warp core.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

TOS, 'Balance of Terror'. The Romulan BoP was undeniably Warp capable despite being allegedly limited to impulse power. Besides, the damned D'deridexes if no other Romulan ships 'don't' use a Warp Core, they use this stupid microsingularity so it's not like you need a Warp Core for Warp drive-you just need a sufficiently powerful...well, power source.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Perhaps I should clarify that I was using the term "warp core" to imply any power source capable of propelling a ship or shuttle to warp speed. Whatever the exact mechanism, Voyager either had to have a large supply of FTL power sources on hand or were able to build them.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well since the 'Balance of Terror' BoP was apparently able to run a Warp drive off impulse power (presumably meaning H-H fusion) for a small but definitely starship-sized starship, I don't think shuttle Warp drives being fusion-powered is all that far-fetched. Still doesn't absolve VOY of having to built reactors for all her newly minted shuttles from scratch of course, but at least they wouldn't need to be M/AM ones :P
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Generalissimo wrote:What is the Imperial response if Borg adaptation works exactly as 100% advertised?
Grand Admiral Miles and his fully Augmented Sector Group of 104 x ISDs and 39,144 x Combat Starships are on the way to eradicate the infestation.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Holy necro, batman!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Quite. Check the dates Shep.

Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth