Laughable "response" videos to this website on YouTube

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: Laughable "response" videos to this website on YouTube

Post by StarSword »

StarSword wrote:Good thing I had a second Google+ channel already.
Damn it. That one must've been signed in when he blocked the first one.

I've reported him for lying ("misleading text") and abuse of the block feature, not that it's likely to do any good.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Huh, maybe I spoke too soon. People other than him seem to be responding.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I've updated my site again with a couple more pages. http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusing ... art-3/ccqm- and I've credited StarSword for that interesting detail about NCC-97000 being from STO- makes me wonder how many other 'facts' Idazmi7 pulls from non-canon sources to bolster his arguments.

BTW, if anyone wants to contribute an article or two in response to Idazmi7 I'll gladly host it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

you call BS on him saying that Sovereign has registry in the 97000 range. only source I know to give the registry are the Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command 3 PC games and they give it as U.S.S. Sovereign NCC-73811 that's lower then the 97000 in fact that's lower then Voyager's registry number.

oh and while I'm at it with 1 exception reused registry numbers get a additional letter to designate them being a reuse (like USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote:you call BS on him saying that Sovereign has registry in the 97000 range. only source I know to give the registry are the Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command 3 PC games and they give it as U.S.S. Sovereign NCC-73811 that's lower then the 97000 in fact that's lower then Voyager's registry number.

oh and while I'm at it with 1 exception reused registry numbers get a additional letter to designate them being a reuse (like USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E)
btw if someone accuses me of having no life for knowing this, it took me a whole of 2 minutes to find the right manual in my bookshelf and find the right page.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

btw if someone accuses me of having no life for knowing this, it took me a whole of 2 minutes to find the right manual in my bookshelf and find the right page.
Well some would say that simply HAVING the manual on your bookshelf means you have no life. :-P
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Borgholio wrote:Well some would say that simply HAVING the manual on your bookshelf means you have no life. :-P
*runs and hides his TNG TM*

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Borgholio wrote:
Well some would say that simply HAVING the manual on your bookshelf means you have no life. :-P
well it was a manual for a PC game so it has uses beyond trek trivia. :wink:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

When have we reused designations to honour a famous ship in the real world? The ship name gets reused, not her registry.
The only designation reuse that immediately comes to mind is the SSN-21 class, and that had nothing to do with honouring USS Barracuda (SS-21), which...didn't really do anything remarkable during her short life.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Batman wrote:When have we reused designations to honour a famous ship in the real world? The ship name gets reused, not her registry.
The only designation reuse that immediately comes to mind is the SSN-21 class, and that had nothing to do with honouring USS Barracuda (SS-21), which...didn't really do anything remarkable during her short life.
I can't think of any numbers offhand that have ever been reused. USS Enterprise, one of the most famous ships in Naval History, has had at least three modern numbers (6, 65, and 80)...and pre WW-1 they didn't even use numbers at all.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Another one he tried with me was claiming that tritanium can withstand temperatures of 8,000 Kelvins, therefore phasers must produce teraton yields because Picard was able to blow large holes in the "Q Who" Borg cube. (I accept his argument of scaling the holes based on the 3 km-on-a-side size number we got in VOY, and Borg cubes made partly of tritanium per VOY: "Dark Frontier" and "Endgame".) This was after I tried to explain that melting point and energy of vaporization are not synonymous, nor linearly scaling, using the example of an ISD blowing up nickel-iron asteroids in TESB.

Problems with that argument include:
  • IIRC energy of vaporization is more dependent on specific heat than melting or boiling point, and he's using vaporization as the idiomatic synonym for "blowing up" rather than in a physics sense and is conflating the two definitions to produce his argument.
  • Probably more to the point, he cites no source for the 8000 Kelvins number, and a brief check of Mem Alpha reveals no mention of its heat resistance, just its hardness. Based on his track record I presume he made it the fuck up.

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Oh, he also claimed that Star Wars stole all its applied phlebotinum from Star Trek, but everything he cited actually predated both franchises by decades. Photorps and protorps are just guided missiles and the protorp name was obviously an intentional shout-out, hyperdrive comes from 1940s Asimov, deflector shields from 1920s E.E. "Doc" Smith if not earlier, commercially available robots from 1895 Karel Čapek, etc.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

assuming a object that's somehow free of outside influence, the energy for melting or vaporizing said object is dependent on the specific heat capacity of materials of said object and ST have been shown to have fairly low specific heat capacity (aka you heat them up fairly easily) so even though they got fairly high melting point it's easy to get to that point.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Since we have yet to see a phaser actually vapourize anything (you know, with all the attached side effects like there suddenly being a superheated cloud of gas that's rather inevitably going to do a lot of damage we curiously enough never see) as opposed to making it glow funnily and go away I'm not entirely sure why this is important.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

darth_timon wrote:I've updated my site again with a couple more pages. http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusing ... art-3/ccqmBTW, if anyone wants to contribute an article or two in response to Idazmi7 I'll gladly host it.
Sure I'll contribute, I plan a point by point takedown of his fallacious arguments anyway. I'll give you some print screens of some of his more stupid comments for your article tomorrow, as a demonstration of his extreme incompetence.
BlasTech.info
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

I like your site, Timon. Very neat and concise, but I'd recommend adding communication to your Clash of the Titans page, maybe noting that Imperial forces could outrace Federation signals and distress calls.
BlasTech.info
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Vance wrote:I like your site, Timon. Very neat and concise, but I'd recommend adding communication to your Clash of the Titans page, maybe noting that Imperial forces could outrace Federation signals and distress calls.
Thanks! Communication is one thing I hadn't thought about- but yeah, it's another strategic advantage that hands the Empire yet another edge.
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

I've taken screenshots from his comments sections as proof of his incompetence (so he could not go into denial and delete them). Between these pics, one can quickly establish that this guy is completely clueless.

A bias opinion? lol.
BlasTech.info
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well he's certainly got the 'Clark vs a street gang' aspect right, if the wrong way round* (at least for oldTrek). And since when can photon grenades 'destroy a small city up to a mile in diameter'?
And what in Valen's name is 'muzzle accuracy'?
I am mildly surprised this for want of a better word person actually understands what an order of magnitude means (while completely failing to understand how that figures into SI units).

*actually, 1938 Clark vs a 21st century DC street gang might quite possibly be that one-sided :D
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

We ended up with an SWvST thread over on the Star Trek Online forums last month. Even the most mind-bogglingly clueless trekkies in that thread came off smarter than this guy. He can't even do basic arithmetic, for Chrissakes!

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Originally Posted by ryan218 wrote: The Enterprise-J had a coaxial warp drive. That basically allows instantaneous travel across the entire galaxy.
The Warp nacelles of the E-Nil look pretty coaxial to me, as do pretty much any other nacelle configurations I could find? :?
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 wrote: The Enterprise-J had a coaxial warp drive. That basically allows instantaneous travel across the entire galaxy.
The Warp nacelles of the E-Nil look pretty coaxial to me, as do pretty much any other nacelle configurations I could find? :?
I was going to file that as another case of ST writers failing at dictionary-fu (using terms without having a damn clue what they mean), this time from the EU.

However, I took a look at the Memory Beta page for the Ent-J. Based on my Wayback Machine-fu, there's no evidence it had one to begin with. ryan218 seems to have blindly trusted a wiki.

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So essentially, yes, ST writers can't be arsed to check the dictionary. How depressingly unsurprising.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

In case anyone is interested in Idazmi7's latest hits, I've updated my site with a few of them:

http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusing ... rt-4/c14r0