A way ST forces could win a battle with the Empire

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Jedipilot24
Youngling

Re: A way ST forces could win a battle with the Empire

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Metahive wrote:
Jedipilot24 wrote:Why are you always insulting people? That's childish.
Heh, I'll stop insulting people if you agree to stop being a useless douchewad. O wait, tough luck, that was written into your genetic code when Dr. Fu Man Chu cloned you from a rat's arse.
This is exactly my point. What are you, ten years old? Because that's how old your insults are. Grow up already.
Michael Westen wrote: Killers, by and large, are whining losers.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hey bro I thought you discovered meaning in other elements of life and didn't want to continue this...

sorry nevermind
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Jedipilot24 wrote:This is exactly my point. What are you, ten years old? Because that's how old your insults are. Grow up already.
What, so that I'll too can become a fountain of useless and uninteresting SW EU trivia like you? Nah, I'll rather stay a child at heart then and call you a cocknosed shitburger instead, cocknosed shitburger.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Not to ruin your fun but being a fountain of useless and uninteresting SW EU trivia covers roughly half the board populace.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Whilst I cna't speak of any other cases since I tend to not pay attention to Metahive enough to recognize his posting patterns, so what? In this case it was entirely justified. The guy comes back, baiscally says 'I've decided that I'm more grown up if I don't talk about fictional stuff... but don't think I'm passing judgement even though I described the stuff you consider a hobby as childish.' That is the very definition of a passive-aggressive, backwards 'concession' because he's basically implying he's 'more grown up' than the rest of us are.

If he didn't intend to come off that way, he still did a piss poor job of explaining himself, and that's not much better.

There's also a not so minor fact that people tend to react poorly to being talked down to, nevermind implied insults. There are plenty of cases where the 'no miss manners' aspect of this board is abused, but this is not one of them, and you have no right to call people 'childish' simply because they don't conform to your own narrow views. Its no less insulting just becuase people use polite language.

Its kind of amusing that you keep telling people to 'grow up', when (at least by the standards I am aware of) an adult actually evaluates things and exhibits the tolerance to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. Not point and waggle your finger just because other people don't live up to your own arbitrary standards (which is in and of itself horribly inflexible.)
Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Whilst I cna't speak of any other cases since I tend to not pay attention to Metahive enough to recognize his posting patterns, so what? In this case it was entirely justified. The guy comes back, baiscally says 'I've decided that I'm more grown up if I don't talk about fictional stuff... but don't think I'm passing judgement even though I described the stuff you consider a hobby as childish.' That is the very definition of a passive-aggressive, backwards 'concession' because he's basically implying he's 'more grown up' than the rest of us are.

If he didn't intend to come off that way, he still did a piss poor job of explaining himself, and that's not much better.

There's also a not so minor fact that people tend to react poorly to being talked down to, nevermind implied insults. There are plenty of cases where the 'no miss manners' aspect of this board is abused, but this is not one of them, and you have no right to call people 'childish' simply because they don't conform to your own narrow views. Its no less insulting just becuase people use polite language.

Its kind of amusing that you keep telling people to 'grow up', when (at least by the standards I am aware of) an adult actually evaluates things and exhibits the tolerance to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. Not point and waggle your finger just because other people don't live up to your own arbitrary standards (which is in and of itself horribly inflexible.)
I am perfectly willing to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. I just don't see the point in resorting to personal insults. I do not call people 'childish' because they don't conform to my views; I call people 'childish' when they use childish and pointless insults for no reason.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Do you recognise the difference between passive aggressive 'polite' or 'backhanded' or 'cowardly' insults and direct insults?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Jedipilot24 wrote: I am perfectly willing to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. I just don't see the point in resorting to personal insults. I do not call people 'childish' because they don't conform to my views; I call people 'childish' when they use childish and pointless insults for no reason.
So, using a real life tragedy to call your opponents childish and assume some sort of moral superiority over a SF discussion is A-OK but calling people names is not? And you think you can tell people to grow up? Growing up would be premature for you, you need to evolve fist, you fucking amoeba.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Metahive wrote:
Jedipilot24 wrote: I am perfectly willing to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. I just don't see the point in resorting to personal insults. I do not call people 'childish' because they don't conform to my views; I call people 'childish' when they use childish and pointless insults for no reason.
So, using a real life tragedy to call your opponents childish and assume some sort of moral superiority over a SF discussion is A-OK but calling people names is not? And you think you can tell people to grow up? Growing up would be premature for you, you need to evolve first, you fucking amoeba.
What 'real life tragedy"? What are you talking about?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

:banghead:

A yes, the usual Jedibaboon diligence I've come to expect. Also, too lazy to just go one page back and re-read what that guy wrote? You behave like a six-year old yet still think you can tell people to grow up. Good thing irony doesn't hurt or you'd be on painkillers 24/7.

Because I'm feeling generous:

I know its been a long time since I have posted and replied. With recent events this week in Boston have given me pause to reflect on what how I prioritize things in my life and suddenly I see delving into such silly debates like these about make believe fairy tales is not something I should continue doing. Time for me to grow up in a sense.

Yeah, definitely not under-handed, callous and passive-aggressive at all.

Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Metahive wrote::banghead:

A yes, the usual Jedibaboon diligence I've come to expect. Also, too lazy to just go one page back and re-read what that guy wrote? You behave like a six-year old yet still think you can tell people to grow up. Good thing irony doesn't hurt or you'd be on painkillers 24/7.

Because I'm feeling generous:

I know its been a long time since I have posted and replied. With recent events this week in Boston have given me pause to reflect on what how I prioritize things in my life and suddenly I see delving into such silly debates like these about make believe fairy tales is not something I should continue doing. Time for me to grow up in a sense.

Yeah, definitely not under-handed, callous and passive-aggressive at all.
I didn't post that and I didn't post anything about it either.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You quoted Metahive's response to that post telling him off for being insulting/childish
Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Crazedwraith wrote:You quoted Metahive's response to that post telling him off for being insulting/childish
My reply was just a question asking him why he felt the need to lace his posts with profanity and I meant it in a general sense, using that one response as an example. He could have just replied "'cause I can'" and saved a lot of time.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Jedipilot24 wrote: My reply was just a question asking him why he felt the need to lace his posts with profanity and I meant it in a general sense, using that one response as an example. He could have just replied "'cause I can'" and saved a lot of time.
Jm81 was being a passive-aggressive asshat in his farewell and I called him out on that. You could have saved yourself a lot of time by not being a tone trolling little shitsucker.

Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Metahive wrote: Jm81 was being a passive-aggressive asshat in his farewell and I called him out on that. You could have saved yourself a lot of time by not being a tone trolling little shitsucker.
Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but that's not how I read that post.
Sorry if I offended you.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

:roll:

So I take it it is OK with you to take a RL tragedy to "win" an argument on a webboard over two fictional universes clashing? Just as long as you're "nice" and "polite" about it? Tell you what, please fuck yourself gently with chainsaw.

Jedipilot24
Youngling

Post by Jedipilot24 »

Metahive wrote::roll:

So I take it it is OK with you to take a RL tragedy to "win" an argument on a webboard over two fictional universes clashing? Just as long as you're "nice" and "polite" about it? Tell you what, please fuck yourself gently with chainsaw.
Where in his post does he use it to 'win' any argument? All I see in it is him seeing an RL tragedy and deciding to revaluate his life's priorities, meaning that he no longer wants to participate in the argument. How does voluntarily bowing out of a debate because your priorities are changing equate to trying to 'win' the debate?

How does "I don't want to argue anymore" equate to "I win"? I don't see the connection.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Why do you even care anymore, both of you? This off-topic debate is completely pointless.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

jwl wrote:Why do you even care anymore, both of you? This off-topic debate is completely pointless.
Cupcake, who was it who derailed this thread in favor of tone trolling? Right, not me. Should I not respond when I'm personally attacked and insulted? Wrong board, honey.
JediKlutz wrote:Where in his post does he use it to 'win' any argument? All I see in it is him seeing an RL tragedy and deciding to revaluate his life's priorities, meaning that he no longer wants to participate in the argument. How does voluntarily bowing out of a debate because your priorities are changing equate to trying to 'win' the debate?

How does "I don't want to argue anymore" equate to "I win"? I don't see the connection.
Now the troll goes into "I totally don't see something completely obvious". It was already explained to you twice by several different people, if that's not enough for you, pigfucker, that's too fucking bad.

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Jedipilot24 wrote:I am perfectly willing to accept and understand opposing viewpoints. I just don't see the point in resorting to personal insults. I do not call people 'childish' because they don't conform to my views; I call people 'childish' when they use childish and pointless insults for no reason.
Who appointed you arbiter of debate etiquette on this board? Did you get a badge? Yes, you are calling people childish because they're not acting the way you think they do. What's more, you did that when metahive had a perfectly justified reason to react harshly - just because someone is passive aggressively condescending and insulting but does it in nice language does not make it any less insulting, whether or not the response uses foul language or not. You do realize that its intent in these things that matter, and everything else is window dressing, right?

Yes, SDN is a board with a very hostile, combative culture, and yes, there are plenty of people who resort to kneejerk insults and flaming, especially when simple politeness IS more effective. But that's a relative assessment, not some fucking silly absolute rule. If someone is condescendign to me, even if they use nice language, I am not just going to smile blankly and put up with it. And that is my choice to make.

PS: calling someone 'childish' is pretty insulting in and of itself. Again nicely insulting someone is not somehow less offensive just because you didn't use swear words.