Revan's Sith Empire against the Star Trek races

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Simonoz
Redshirt

Revan's Sith Empire against the Star Trek races

Post by Simonoz »

Scenario:
Revan and Malak are at the height of their power after the Mandalorian wars. For the purpose of this scenario, the jedi are not a problem to Revan. In his travels, Revan comes across a wormhole leading to the milky way

Where will this lead?

Personally, I think that the Sith will send out some explorers and colonists, and the Federation will try to help them a long, being the lovely people that they are. I think that Revan, while evil, is one of the more reasonable Sith Lords, and so will accept this situation, it being advantageous to him, for the time being. Meanwhile, I think the Borg will be taking an interest in the new technology exhibited by the colonists. The infinite Sith fleet and the power of the dark side would be enough to stop them from causing too much harm, but they might provoke the Sith into a more aggressive disposition towards the galaxy.

Post your thoughts!
"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives us. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. We Mandalore take everything we are and throw it into battle. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion." - Canderous Ordo, Mandalore the Preserver
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
the atom
Padawan Learner

Re: Revan's Sith Empire against the Star Trek races

Post by the atom »

Weapons technology of this time was incredibly piddly by the standards of modern SW, so I think the Federation should have a more then okay chance of turning back and defeating Revan's forces.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I predict Revan's offensive would be slowed by the fractured state of the Trek galaxy. Unlike in the SW galaxy, there's no immediate way for Revan to know where the large empires are situated in the Milky Way, and the galaxy is big. You simply can't do a blitz if you're a prudent commander, because you don't know if you might run into something capable of pushing back against an overextended thrust. Worse, the galaxy is uncharted, so hyperspace travel will be impeded significantly.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Eleas wrote:Worse, the galaxy is uncharted, so hyperspace travel will be impeded significantly.
Which ends the moment they run into the Ferengi...
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

StarSword wrote:Which ends the moment they run into the Ferengi...
Oh, I know the old song and dance about bribing the Ferengi for hyperspace charts. Disregarding the interesting proposition that you might be wagering the well-being of your invasion fleet's on the honesty of a Ferengi merchant, there's really no telling whether the Ferengi navigational charts are accurate enough. Plus, first you have to find the Ferengi, which would be no mean feat in itself if all you have is "look, a wormhole into random point in the Milky Way, let's check it out!"
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Simonoz
Redshirt

Post by Simonoz »

You assume that Revan would actually attack. Also, he has the star forge - a limitless source of starships, wardroids and dark side artifacts, among other things. He also has a force of dark jedi, unlike the empire. If he were to attack, while he lacks some of the empire's advantages, he has some of his own.
"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives us. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. We Mandalore take everything we are and throw it into battle. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion." - Canderous Ordo, Mandalore the Preserver
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Simonoz wrote:You assume that Revan would actually attack.
I assume the word "against" denotes conflict of some kind, which strikes me as not too unreasonable. My greater point is that the lack of infrastructure in the MW would slow things down, and none of the advantages you list serve to counter that point.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Simonoz
Redshirt

Post by Simonoz »

Not directly, but the his star forge would be able to sustain a war of attrition.
It would be able to keep the slower push into the MW going for long enough that they wold eventually get to a civilisation, assuming they knew it was there. The dark jedi could probably also use the force to find it (however, i am not sure if that is possible). The sith empire also has the advantage of the dark lord himself, and darth malak. Both of these sith lords spent decades searching for broken star maps, so they would no doubt have some experience in space exploration.
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Simonoz wrote:Not directly, but the his star forge would be able to sustain a war of attrition.
I guess so. Still fail to see how that meets any point I made, I'm afraid.
Simonoz wrote:It would be able to keep the slower push into the MW going for long enough that they wold eventually get to a civilisation, assuming they knew it was there.
If they did not find civilization, they would likely not encounter credible opposition. In this type of scenario, "island-hopping" strategies simply do not apply to the Star Wars side. The problem would be sheer travel time, not opposing forces.
Simonoz wrote:The dark jedi could probably also use the force to find it (however, i am not sure if that is possible).
Ha, an obscure memory triggered. You're right insofar as that the Force can be used to astrogate (see the WEG Force power Instinctive Astrogation). Nicely spotted. I'd doubt it's something you'd be able to rely on consistently, but Revan is hardly a slouch in Force ability, so he might be able to swing, well, something. I might use it in a Fanfic, but not if I were to plan a military campaign.
Simonoz wrote:The sith empire also has the advantage of the dark lord himself, and darth malak. Both of these sith lords spent decades searching for broken star maps, so they would no doubt have some experience in space exploration.
True enough. The problem isn't their expertise in that area, because they're very well suited to the task: the problem is that they might actually have to start more or less from scratch in creating a Star Wars level traveling infrastructure for the Milky Way. The mapping of the SW galaxy might have taken centuries or even millennia to accomplish, so it'll probably be a nontrivial undertaking.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Simonoz
Redshirt

Post by Simonoz »

Remember, they are not necesarily going to think "hey, a new galaxy! Let's fight any inhabitants we miht find!" - I suspect that first off, Revan will have a look, but then he will set a force of droids onto creating and navigating for new hyperspace routes in the MW. It might take decades or centuries to find civilisation. If they take this approach, and it leads to wr, then Revan has hyperspace routes ino enemy territory already.

Besides, isnt the lack of a hyperspace route also a problem for the galactic empire?
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Simonoz wrote:Besides, isnt the lack of a hyperspace route also a problem for the galactic empire?
Indeed it would be. The obverse is that, as you observed, it's possible to cheat by using probe droids and the like. The only thing that seems certain is that initially hyperspace speeds are likely to be reduced.

Some mitigating factors though: if you want to go far to the other side of the galaxy you could, as Mike Wong proposed, simply go up and in so doing bypass the bulk of the galaxy's mass. Outside the galaxy proper, high speeds should be much safer: then, when you've reached the point you want, you go down back into the galaxy. Plus of course the fact that SW technology is very suited to creating strongholds, so the wormhole (if it could even be reached by warp in the first place) would we could speculate that the wormhole would be made virtually unassailable to Trek forces.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Simonoz
Redshirt

Post by Simonoz »

Depending on where it is formed
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Indeed.

Problem is, we know comparatively little about Revan's era when it comes to industry, travel speeds, demographics, and so on. I'd much rather write a fanfic about that time period than debate it.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe