Reason with me on my questions and statements. Please.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Zero_exe
Redshirt

Re: Reason with me on my questions and statements. Please.

Post by Zero_exe »

Simonoz wrote:
Please reply only with movie and TRUE cannon sources

Do you suggest using movie CANNON that these turbo Lasers can Generate enough heat to destroy a DIAMOND (never mind something more than TWICE the strength of diamond)? If so, wouldn't they literally MELT the very weapon they are fired from???? Movie CANNON answer please. Thanks. )
As you wish.
Firstly, something harder than a diamond could still have a relatively low melting point, and Isn't the primary damage of lasers caused by heat? Therefore, the hardness of the armour is irrelevant. In the case of a torpedo or other kinetic weapon, then it is useful, but hardness has no effect on heat.
Secondly, Star Wars lasers are not conventional lasers. In the films, they can be seen going at sub light speed, and are visible to the human eye. Real lasers cannot be seen directly despite cartoons, and they would travel at the speed of light. Therefore, laser means a different thing in either galaxy.
Finally, if the lasers, as you say, would melt the weapon they were fired from, then explain, please, how in the movies, none of the turbolasers ever seem to melt down as they are fired.
Great, Finally some good questions.

Please note everyone: I cannot reply to all comments, because I would be having individual arguments with the lot of you, I which do not care to engage. My Original purpose was to see if you can answer and reason on my questions in my Original Post. Those who swear at me, or attempt to use derogatory insults, will not receive my attention. However, this gentleman made important points I will discuss:

To your melting point: Star fleet could NOT process TRITANIUM due to its complications and their lack of technology to melt it. That immediately determines the heat resistance of said substance since it requires to be LARGE amounts of heat to bring it to a processing point. One of my previous posts will back this, on page one, my link to the Tritanium armor hardened factor point. REFER: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tritanium This issue was discussed also in the episode involving the Pegasus, being the test ship for the materials used to construct the Enterprise.

As to your 'non conventional laser' point: Its still called a laser, and not disputed as alien to the laser family, and certainly not by the Movies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon, PROOF OF MY STATEMENT FOR MOVIES AS CANNON)
Non the less, its an ENERGY weapon, that still needs to melt the Tritanium which we have learned has an extreme boiling point.

Simonoz wrote:
Finally, if the lasers, as you say, would melt the weapon they were fired from, then explain, please, how in the movies, none of the turbolasers ever seem to melt down as they are fired.

++++++ CHECK MATE +++++++

Thank you for this point. Well said. So, then for this laser to melt the enterprise's hull, CERTAINLY that Laser must be able to melt Tritnaium. therefore, one would have to conclude that the Laser weapon itself, MUST be made from a material with a Higher melting tolerance over the Enterprise's Hull of tritanium. Since the Star Wars MOVIE do not provide the materials used to make the ships, I REQUEST you to access your 'Canon' Books' to provide me with your Second rate canon PROOF that the Materials used to make the imperial Star Destroyer are STRONGER than 21.4 times harder than Diamond.

IF they are not, and this IS YOUR CHECK MATE, if the material is NOT harder than 21.4 time Diamond, then there is one simple answer to your question, and this puzzle. Simply put, the LASER cannot melt its own weapon, and therefore has a lesser HEAT dispersion than the very material it is fired from. Since the material its fired from has a lesser heat tolerance over Tritanium, THE ONLY conclusion is: TURBO LASER IS NOT HOT ENOUGH TO MELT THE ENTERPRISES HULL.

HAHAHAHA CHECK MATE

PLEASE ANSWER THE STAR DESTROYER HULL MATERIALS USED IS HARDER THAN 21.4 TIMES DIAMOND. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO USE YOUR BOOKS AS PROOF. AGAIN I WANT NUMBERS. AT THE VERY LEAST, TELL ME WHAT THE MATERIAL IS? IS IT NORMAL TITANIUM? IS IT TUNGSTEN? WHAT IS THE ISD HULL MADE OF? Thank you.

If you Cannot tell me this, then the Turbo Laser ENERGY fired from their weapons, is not HOT enough to melt its own weapon which is lesser of the enterprises Hull heat tolerance and therefore CANNOT penetrate the Enterprises Hull.

For now, the Enterprise Beats the Entire imperial fleet, with its shields offline just to reserve power. :)
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

As to your 'non conventional laser' point: Its still called a laser, and not disputed as alien to the laser family, and certainly not by the Movies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon, PROOF OF MY STATEMENT FOR MOVIES AS CANNON)
It's clearly disputed by the movies every time the "lasers" do something that in no way resembles a laser. Obvious conclusion: much like many other terms in a real language, "laser" in Star Wars is no longer a precise technical term referring to what we in the real world consider a laser. Just like in the real world the original term has remained while technology moved on, and now "laser" is a generic term describing any generic "energy" weapon. Just like Han doesn't spend 15 minutes going into a technobabble explanation of how a "blaster" works, it's a gun that shoots people and that's good enough for someone who cares more about whether his gun shoots people effectively than whether he's being perfectly precise in how he labels it.
Non the less, its an ENERGY weapon, that still needs to melt the Tritanium which we have learned has an extreme boiling point.
So what? Since when does "extreme boiling point" mean "immune to damage"?

Thank you for this point. Well said. So, then for this laser to melt the enterprise's hull, CERTAINLY that Laser must be able to melt Tritnaium. therefore, one would have to conclude that the Laser weapon itself, MUST be made from a material with a Higher melting tolerance over the Enterprise's Hull of tritanium.
:banghead:

Ever hear of things like "efficiency" and "absorption percentage"? If the focusing system of a laser absorbs 0.00000000001% of the energy of the beam as it passes through the optics then it does NOT have to have greater heat tolerance than the armor of the target that absorbs 99.99999999% of the beam's energy. You're basing your comparison on the insane assumption that a turbolaser shoots itself just as effectively as it shoots the enemy.

Plus you're ignoring the fact that Star Wars weapons are not lasers, so they do not necessarily have parts (for example, a glass lens) in physical contact with the shot (for example, they might use electromagnetic fields to contain and focus the shot) and then you're making an even less sensible comparison between heat absorbed by radiation from the "sides" of the shot and heat absorbed by direct contact with the shot when it hits the target.
If you Cannot tell me this, then the Turbo Laser ENERGY fired from their weapons, is not HOT enough to melt its own weapon which is lesser of the enterprises Hull heat tolerance and therefore CANNOT penetrate the Enterprises Hull.
Since when is "we don't have numbers" the same as "the numbers are lower"? If there is no answer given the conclusion is that we don't know and can't say whether or not a given armor strength is better or worse, not that Star Trek wins by default.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

How about a nice analogy:

Zero_exe: Hey look, some guy said there's a really cool duck over there.
Everyone: That's not a duck, it's a cat.
Zero_exe: But the guy said it's a duck!
Everyone: It doesn't look like a duck, it doesn't quack like a duck.
Zero_exe: I clearly overheard him telling his friend it was a duck!
Everyone: You moron, it's a cat. It has fur and a tail and no wings or feathers.
Zero_exe: LASERS!!!!!! DUCK!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Ok, zero. Can you prove, using only movie canon, that turbolasers work exclusively via transferring heat upon contact?
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Check Mate

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Zero_exe wrote: The Borg Laser Cutting beam, is known as a KINETIC weapon.
Where in "Q Who" or "Best of Both Worlds" was the Borg cutting laser defined as a "kinetic" weapon.
Zero_exe wrote:Using WATER pressurized hard enough, we can cut through Hard metals, and Solid rocks. Of course, using Water you can cut trough Titanium as well, it would just have to be pressurized hard enough. Carrying water however on a ship, would be impractical as for weapon usage, therefore applying LASER as a KINETIC cutter, is well endowed to penetrate hard substances. HOWEVER Laser as seen in star wars, is used as ENERGY weapons.
So when Star Trek says "laser", it means some kind of mass accelerator, but when Star Wars says "laser" it means a beam of coherent light that exactly meets the modern definition of "laser"? How did you figure that out?
Zero_exe wrote: Metaphor: Pour a bucket of water on a boulder, will it go through? Put same boulder under Niagara falls, will the increase amount of water used then penetrate it? NO.
Ever heard of erosion? Running water will destroy a boulder, given enough time.
Zero_exe wrote: In addition to this statement, PLASMA leaks have happened throughout the star trek series. Each time, Zero damage to the Enterprises Bulk heads have been done. Reason being, the heat is not sufficient to melt the TRITANIUM Bulk heads and therefore is not ship threatening. This point, was made to help you understand, LASER energy would HAVE to be HOT enough to melt the enterprises exterior plates, OR be used in a kinetic form with extreme pressure (such as the Borg cutting bream) in order to penetrate the enterprises outer Hull.
There is no reason whatsoever why energy from a laser couldn't heat "tritanium" to it's melting point. Please provide a quote from Star Trek that explains how that is impossible.

You see, a laser isn't "hot". A laser is a method of adding energy to matter, causing the matter to become hotter.
Zero_exe wrote: Simply stating the "Gigawattage" of the weapon, will not provide in any way, the impact or heat distribution of said TURBO LASER weapon.
Actually, it will. The GigaWatt power rating of an energy beam describes how quickly it adds energy to an object that it strikes (or how quickly it does work). This is extremely important in any discussion of weapon performance.
Last edited by Ted C on 2012-12-25 08:54am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Zero_exe wrote:Check Mate
Well, now he's just trolling.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Obviously lasers can penetrate Star Trek shields and hull. We have seen many times that being close to a star can damage or destroy a ship. Since stars emit light and lasers are concentrated light then lasers can penetrate the shields.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Ted C wrote:
Zero_exe wrote: The Borg Laser Cutting beam, is known as a KINETIC weapon.
Where in "Q Who" or "Best of Both Worlds" was the Borg cutting laser defined as a "kinetic" weapon.
Zero_exe wrote:Using WATER pressurized hard enough, we can cut through Hard metals, and Solid rocks. Of course, using Water you can cut trough Titanium as well, it would just have to be pressurized hard enough. Carrying water however on a ship, would be impractical as for weapon usage, therefore applying LASER as a KINETIC cutter, is well endowed to penetrate hard substances. HOWEVER Laser as seen in star wars, is used as ENERGY weapons.
So when Star Trek says "laser", it means some kind of mass accelerator, but when Star Wars says "laser" it means a beam of coherent light that exactly meets the modern definition of "laser"? How did you figure that out?
Zero_exe wrote: Metaphor: Pour a bucket of water on a boulder, will it go through? Put same boulder under Niagara falls, will the increase amount of water used then penetrate it? NO.
Ever heard of erosion? Running water will destroy a boulder, given enough time.
Zero_exe wrote: In addition to this statement, PLASMA leaks have happened throughout the star trek series. Each time, Zero damage to the Enterprises Bulk heads have been done. Reason being, the heat is not sufficient to melt the TRITANIUM Bulk heads and therefore is not ship threatening. This point, was made to help you understand, LASER energy would HAVE to be HOT enough to melt the enterprises exterior plates, OR be used in a kinetic form with extreme pressure (such as the Borg cutting bream) in order to penetrate the enterprises outer Hull.
There is no reason whatsoever why energy from a laser could heat "tritanium" to it's melting point. Please provide a quote from Star Trek that explains how that is impossible.

You see, a laser isn't "hot". A laser is a method of adding energy to matter, causing the matter to become hotter.
Zero_exe wrote: Simply stating the "Gigawattage" of the weapon, will not provide in any way, the impact or heat distribution of said TURBO LASER weapon.
Actually, it will. The GigaWatt power rating of an energy beam describes how quickly it adds energy to an object that it strikes (or how quickly it does work). This is extremely important in any discussion of weapon performance.
Click to 'find' the answer to your energy weapon questions.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+energy+weap ... +in+sci+fi

As I have said previously, not going to argue with individuals unless main points are addressed with Cannon evidence. Thank You! I Read all posts, only address relevant ones.

As to the cutting Beam, I DO APOLOGIZE I cannot find any MOVIE Canon evidence to support that it is kinetic, only Second rate Canon.
I will retract that from my here say. HOWEVER because you have brought this to my attention, Where in the Movies does it say the turbo Laser is NOT Laser technology? On screen visuals to me look like a Laser. Not the common laser we see today, but that is most definitely laser energy. Please use the movies as Canon, As I have chosen to retract my kinetic statement due to Lack of Screen play Canon evidence.

* Note: The power out put of the Borg cutting beam has never been stated. Also, It obviously Generates enough heat to slice through Tritanium. This does not in ANYWAY support Turbo Laser effectiveness, as the known material that fires said Tubro Laser, as well its heat dissipation need to be determined. A ISD is not comparable to a Borg cube, therefore results differ. The definition of the cutting beam weapon is defined here: http://borgcollective.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_Cutting_Beam *

However, to defend the cause with the 'on screen' evidence that the Borg cutting beam was never used whilst a Federations star ships shields still being up. And to that - there is Evidence and Canon as proof. Considering it is 'Laser' Yet not used against shields, this supports Captain Picards statement "Laser will not even penetrate our Navigational Shields, Dont they know that?"

Now riddle me this, BATMAN:

The Following is Canon Evidence that Borg cutting beams (laser) and Laser WEAPONS in star trek are never used against the Enterprise SHIELDS, and thus 'Laser' (According to Picard) are ineffective:
Borg uses tractor to down shields BEFORE apply Laser on excelsior class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOGDKJlq8go
Borg uses tractor to drain Enterprise shields BEFORE apply Laser on Enterprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAlUTxkoWQ

Further, as described by "Star wars" fans here that the 'Turbo Laser' doesn't look like common REAL LIFE laser (A completely ignorant statement to ignore visual special effects) and therefore is a Non-conventional Laser, I can apply the same POOR line of reasoning with the Borg Laser, and how it TOO does not look like any typical Laser we see today either. So, one can state that since the BORG waited to drain the shields, with its NON-Conventional Laser weapon, HEREBY allows PROOF that even non-conventional Laser weapons are not effective against federation shields, since the Borg had to wait to drain the Federation ships shields to apply its Non-Conventional

You want to poorly reason on visual effects for your inaccurate basis for the "Trubo Laser" not being a conventional Laser, tho fore obvious reason its depicted as a slow moving blast, then I can too reason just as ignorantly.

Borg - Non conventional Laser Beam - Not used against federation shields.
ISD - non conventional Laser Blast - not scene in star Trek.
Picard "Lasers CANNOT even penetrate our Navigational Shields"

Now you have another Check Mate.
Not only does the Turbo Laser the ISD fire not even melt its own weapon, which has a weaker heat tolerance to Tritanium, and therefore cannot possibly melt tritanium as its heat would NEED to be high enough considering its still an ENERGY weapon and not Kinetic. Therefore, the weapon firing it can only shoot a BLAST hot enough to not exceed the weapons heat tolerance which is < Enterprise Hull heat tolerance.
Proof of ISD Hull being > 21.4 times Diamond, is needed to provide evidence on Star Wars behalf.

As well, we now have Canon evidence that non-conventional Lasers DO NOT work on the Enterprise's shields, and therefore proving Picard Correct.
Thank you good sir for pointing that out. :)

Two proofs - The Borg, and Okona Cannot beat the Enterprise shields with PRIMITIVE Laser-variant technology. And Laser Cannot Defeat its Hull without providing evidence to support the Material construction of the Turbo Laser (OR ISD HULL) weapon firing said super heated Laser Blast can handle a high enough heat tolerance to exceed Tritanium (21.4 times Diamond)
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Ted C wrote:
Zero_exe wrote:Check Mate
Well, now he's just trolling.
Gloating, big difference.

This is a Battle between the Enterprise and Imperial Star Destroyer, in the minds of Star Wars- Favored sci fi fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMgcJuQqvg

Am Now waiting for Replies to my hull material question - and my non-conventional laser statement n behalf of the Borg proving Picard correct.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

You ignored my point from above. Even ordinary light from a star can threaten Star Trek ships if they get too close as we have seen in many episodes like Descent and Redemption. Therefore lasers, which are concentrated light, can too.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Kane Starkiller wrote:You ignored my point from above. Even ordinary light from a star can threaten Star Trek ships if they get too close as we have seen in many episodes like Descent and Redemption. Therefore lasers, which are concentrated light, can too.
Serious? o_O ....
O.K. Just for you, I will answer. And only because you have Optimus in your pic and I love Optimus prime.

Light was not the issue. It was the Heat and potential radiation threat from getting to close to the sun, the Enterprise shields were not ready to accommodate being next to a massive star. There are special shields for thermal and radiation activities, such as missions like 'star surveillance' which the ship going that close to a star, would be equipped with those shields to continue its mission.

As to Newer star fleet sips, such as sovereign, I have no clue if their shields are better equipped for flying into Stars for no reason :P
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Stars emit heat as electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation is light. Lasers are light. Lasers can therefore defeat Star Trek shields. And it's Voltron not Optimus prime.
You couldn't even get that one right. :lol:
Call me. -Batman
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Kane Starkiller wrote:Stars emit heat as electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation is light. Lasers are light. Lasers can therefore defeat Star Trek shields. And it's Voltron not Optimus prime.
You couldn't even get that one right. :lol:
Apparently star wars lasers aren't normal 'Lasers", they are (according to second rate Canon) non conventional, so looks like the Enterprise has nothing to worry about, according to your little fan club :lol: . You cant even get star Wars right, why you here? Oh ya .. nice try to lure me in to your Troll effort.
And no, not the same, and the shields still held it off regardless. If they didn't, the crew of the enterprise would be roast meat. Double fail.

And ur pic qualities too terrible to notice the difference.

Also, wanna provide me this 'Obvious' CANON evidence the Enterprise shields did not what so ever block the electromagnetic radiation? If they did in the slightest - then please don't return to this thread.

Further responses are not answered unless main points addressed. Which I get the feeling... you cant ...

1) Borg cutting beam = non conventional Laser = not effective against federation shields = Picard is correct "Lasers wont even penetrate our navigational shields".

2) "turbo Laser" weapon, must be made of something with higher heat tolerance than Tritanium - if not, Laser cannot be hot enough to even melt Enterprise Hull.

If both cannot be proven in favor of star wars, then nothing is left to be said. The Enterprise would cake walk the entire imperial fleet. Hopefully in the future, anyone Googling this question, will find this thread and see the indisputable evidence that contradict this very sites own chart.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

You have no main point. You claimed that turbolasers can't hurt Star Trek shields because they are lasers. Now that I have shown you that lasers can indeed hurt Star Trek shields because they are light and light from stars has been shown to hurt Star Trek shields you suddenly start claiming that turbolasers are "unconventional" lasers so they still won't hurt Star Trek shields. :lol:
In any case since turbolaser are described in canon Revenge of the Sith novelization to be able to vaporize a small town which would take at least several kilotons of energy and Star Trek shields are threatened by power intensities if 50-100MW/m2 (power intensity at the surface of a sun) Star Destroyers would be able to destroy Star Trek ships.
Also Star Trek ships need 70 years to cross from one side of the galaxy to another so Enterprise crew would die of old age before damaging Empire even if they did nothing to fight them off.
Call me. -Batman
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Zero_exe wrote: Click to 'find' the answer to your energy weapon questions.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+energy+weap ... +in+sci+fi
That does not answer the question. Your evidence was supposed to come from the Star Trek canon, remember? You set that rule, now follow it.
Zero_exe wrote: As I have said previously, not going to argue with individuals unless main points are addressed with Cannon evidence. Thank You! I Read all posts, only address relevant ones.

As to the cutting Beam, I DO APOLOGIZE I cannot find any MOVIE Canon evidence to support that it is kinetic, only Second rate Canon.
I will retract that from my here say. HOWEVER because you have brought this to my attention, Where in the Movies does it say the turbo Laser is NOT Laser technology? On screen visuals to me look like a Laser. Not the common laser we see today, but that is most definitely laser energy.
Then you don't know what a conventional laser looks like. A laser traveling through vacuum is not visible like a phaser or turbolaser. The light from a conventional laser is all traveling in the same direction, so you can't see it unless it reflects off of something. You can see a laser going through smoke, for example, but not through clear air and not through vacuum. Every time you see a turbolaser traveling to its target in Star Wars, it proves that it is not a conventional laser. It doesn't need to be said. Turbolasers are proven not to be conventional lasers by the opening space battle of "A New Hope".

You see those green beams traveling at sub-light speed from the Star Destroyer to the Rebel blockade runner? They can't be conventional lasers because you can see them.
Zero_exe wrote: * Note: The power out put of the Borg cutting beam has never been stated. Also, It obviously Generates enough heat to slice through Tritanium.
Since the amount of "heat" needed to slice through Tritanium is not defined, your claims that it could not be done by anything, be it a conventional laser or a turbolaser, are completely worthless.
Zero_exe wrote:This does not in ANYWAY support Turbo Laser effectiveness, as the known material that fires said Tubro Laser, as well its heat dissipation need to be determined. A ISD is not comparable to a Borg cube, therefore results differ. The definition of the cutting beam weapon is defined here: http://borgcollective.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_Cutting_Beam *
The wiki you cited is not a canon source. Stop telling other people to stick to canon sources, since you clearly have no intention of doing so yourself.
Zero_exe wrote: However, to defend the cause with the 'on screen' evidence that the Borg cutting beam was never used whilst a Federations star ships shields still being up.
Actually, the Borg laser was not used with the main defense shields up. The standard running shield would presumably still be up, and that's the one that Picard said was proof against lasers in "The Outrageous Okona".

And even if you won't accept that, you certainly can't claim that the tritanium hull material of a Federation ship is immune to lasers, since a laser cut right through it.
Zero_exe wrote:And to that - there is Evidence and Canon as proof. Considering it is 'Laser' Yet not used against shields, this supports Captain Picards statement "Laser will not even penetrate our Navigational Shields, Dont they know that?"
Thank you for quoting "The Outrageous Okona" for me. Now show from canon that the navigational shields (rather than the defensive shields) were down in "Q Who" and "Best of Both Worlds".
Zero_exe wrote: Further, as described by "Star wars" fans here that the 'Turbo Laser' doesn't look like common REAL LIFE laser (A completely ignorant statement to ignore visual special effects) and therefore is a Non-conventional Laser, I can apply the same POOR line of reasoning with the Borg Laser, and how it TOO does not look like any typical Laser we see today either.
And that would be a perfectly valid point, but you're the one who's fixed on the name. If you're going to say that the Borg laser is not a conventional laser, you can't say that a turbolaser must be a conventional laser.
Zero_exe wrote:So, one can state that since the BORG waited to drain the shields, with its NON-Conventional Laser weapon, HEREBY allows PROOF that even non-conventional Laser weapons are not effective against federation shields, since the Borg had to wait to drain the Federation ships shields to apply its Non-Conventional
What you've shown is that your arbitrary claim that a turbolaser must be a conventional laser is baseless. Consequently, even if your absurd claim that Trek shields could repel a conventional laser of any magnitude were true, it would not apply to turbolasers.
Zero_exe wrote: Now you have another Check Mate.
You shouldn't go around claiming victory. You embarrass yourself.
Zero_exe wrote: Not only does the Turbo Laser the ISD fire not even melt its own weapon, which has a weaker heat tolerance to Tritanium,
Prove from canon sources that the heat capacity of Imperial materials is lower than that of Federation materials. You keep claiming it, but you haven't produced any evidence. You haven't even provided evidence that the heat tolerance of Federation materials is all that impressive; you've only made claims about its "hardness", which is an entirely different property.
Zero_exe wrote:As well, we now have Canon evidence that non-conventional Lasers DO NOT work on the Enterprise's shields, and therefore proving Picard Correct.
Thank you good sir for pointing that out. :)
Non-conventional lasers (like the Borg lasers, for instance) don't work on Federation shields now? Must you contradict yourself so obviously?
Zero_exe wrote: Two proofs - The Borg, and Okona Cannot beat the Enterprise shields with PRIMITIVE Laser-variant technology.
Yes, laser-armed ships from the very backwards Omega Sagitta system lack the firepower to harm the Enterprise. Why must you assume than any off-hand statement from a character can be extrapolated to infinity?
Zero_exe wrote: And Laser Cannot Defeat its Hull without providing evidence to support the Material construction of the Turbo Laser (OR ISD HULL) weapon firing said super heated Laser Blast can handle a high enough heat tolerance to exceed Tritanium (21.4 times Diamond)
You have provided no evidence that tritanium has heat tolerance 21 times greater than that of diamond. You have only provided evidence that tritanium is 21 times harder than diamond, which is not the same thing. As I've noted, you can shatter a diamond with a hammer. You have described a hull that will shatter if it flexes at all, which is actually not a good design - a hull should be able to flex some too dissipate energy.

Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

Kane Starkiller wrote:You have no main point. You claimed that turbolasers can't hurt Star Trek shields because they are lasers. Now that I have shown you that lasers can indeed hurt Star Trek shields because they are light and light from stars has been shown to hurt Star Trek shields you suddenly start claiming that turbolasers are "unconventional" lasers so they still won't hurt Star Trek shields. :lol:
In any case since turbolaser are described in canon Revenge of the Sith novelization to be able to vaporize a small town which would take at least several kilotons of energy and Star Trek shields are threatened by power intensities if 50-100MW/m2 (power intensity at the surface of a sun) Star Destroyers would be able to destroy Star Trek ships.
Also Star Trek ships need 70 years to cross from one side of the galaxy to another so Enterprise crew would die of old age before damaging Empire even if they did nothing to fight them off.
Really? *Facepalm*

Kane Starkiller wrote:Star Trek shields are threatened by power intensities if 50-100MW/m2
PER SQUARE INCH OK so the sun was only hitting 1 square inch, at one time??? LOLZ
The Enterprise was BELOW sun surface, and was SURROUNDED by that extreme energy.

Now for some math: Enterprise D Dimensions (Galaxy Class)
Length: 642.51m
Width: 359.0m
Height: 400.3m

L X W X H = 92 191 200 Square meters. Divide into Feet = 302 464 566.93 FT squared. Now divide that into square inches = 3 629 574 803.16 Square inches

Now for some Final math: Enterprise was below surface area (surrounded by flares and under constant radiation): Watts per inch you say is 50-100 MW/m2 on our sun? Well Then, we will go with the 100, because, the Enterprise we BELOW surface area (which is hotter) on a LARGER STAR that is also UNSTABLE. 100 in generously small here, should be higher. But lets with 100.

100 X 3 627 574 803.16 = 362 757 480 316 Mega Watts, CONSTANTLY in contact with enterprise shields, MULTIPLIED by the several hours it was in there. And it was FINE.

Confirming by CANON that Enterprise was FINE until the assimilated BORG ship, fired a Beam into the sun, with the intention of intensifying the flares (by XXXX amount %) thus resulting in HUGE multiplication factors of what the Enterprise (who was under constant radiation of 362 billion megawatts per second,) and your up in the hundreds of billions of trillions when you factor the several hours of her time spent there. The Beam was meant destabilize the sun further, So the Enterprise withstood SO much flare, which is NOT a weapon, and took it like a boss.

Your attempts to rouse me and everyone else into thinking something minuscule can defeat the Enterprise, is misguiding and misleading. Also note, I was being generous on how little radiation per square inch was actually hitting the enterprise as constant per second, for several hours.

Being surrounded by the sun for several ours is not the same as shooting it with a WEAPONIZED laser, that the Shields are designed to be adapted to.
Heres a simple analogy for you: Super soak-er shoots a submarine (turbo Laser)

Submarine submerged in the Ocean (100% contact at all times) which will cause more corrosion faster :/ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kane Starkiller wrote: turbolaser are described in canon Revenge of the Sith novelization to be able to vaporize a small town which would take at least several kilotons of energy

@ 1:20 enterprise Vaporizes Atmosphere of WHOLE planet in less than 10 seconds. And that was NOT even a FRACTION of its possible firing limitations. Small town you say? That is soo bloody pathetic to the devastation of a single Quantum torpedo or MK 12 Phasers. But for now, just skip to 1:20 on the Vid and enjoy.

Im done talking to you. You were more than evidently trying to Troll, to so easily ignore the Math. To even state that a Laser weapon is the same as sitting inside a Star, is the most REDICULOUS thing ive read thus far on this site.

You should consider: Due to your visual judgement of Turbo Lasers, everyone here says that Turbo Lasers aren't laser because VISUALLY they done look like laser. Well, Same Logic applies when you want to say the Turbo Laser can put out more energy than the surface of sun. Should that Laser provide ANYWHERE (not that it can) what the Enterprise took inside the sun for those hours + the assault from the beam weapon, Then that LASER would be freaken Bright as Hell, and your Camera would Lens flare horribly every time the ISD shoots.

But VISUALLY We don't have bright lasers. Just little Red/Green bolts flying across the screen. therefore, a Turbo Laser Does not provide NEARLY the power the Enterprise took inside sun, and therefore Turbo Laser (which is LASER and not sun flare) also still remains UNABLE to damage the Enterprise.

Take note: Surface of our sun is 5800K. The star the enterprise was in, hotter. Enterprise Hull not damaged at all by the Heat. Tritanium = Boss.

Thanks for proving my point Kane Starkiller. I WONT BE entertaining your responses any longer, considering how ignorant you were with the "Enterprise being unable to take 50-100mw/m2" comment. Intentionally MISLEADING doesn't make you right, nor prove a point. Perhaps I could have taken your word and believed you. You would have gained what from that? That questions rhetorical.
Zero_exe
Redshirt

Post by Zero_exe »

@ Ted C:
Im pretty sure I linked in my post didn't I?

Q Who: Data clearly states shields down before beam.

GO WATCH Star trek. Believe it or not, it wont vaporize you! Its T.V.! !!

Im done for the day. So far 3 pages, no one can tell me the hull strength, nor weapons heat? Nothing? star Trek fans are supposed to be ignorantly misguided by your sites chart? When nothing is actually being broken down, all one does is look at what has more power = wins? So fail.

Im glad I like both. I enjoy both. But seeing as how I trumped everyone here on this site with just 2 points they cant fathom (how to break enterprise shields and how to defeat its Hulls heat tolerance, Not possible with Lasers fire from inferior metal ships) , I take my leave to spread these point to all the trekkies everywhere, so they can use this to answer back at the star wars fans who claim outrages wattage power with no substance.

Good Bye all, I hope I left you with something to think about. Keep your minds open, dont be told whats better, do your research, and may the Force be with you! OH ... and ... LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Zero_exe wrote:@ Ted C:
Im pretty sure I linked in my post didn't I?
You linked to a Google search page.
Zero_exe wrote: Q Who: Data clearly states shields down before beam.
The defense shields, yes, but it's clear that the defense shields are not the same as the navigational shields. In the episode that's the entire basis for your "no lasers" argument, Picard tells Worf not to raise the main shields. The navigational shield, which was already up, was enough protection against the pitiful Omega Sagittas ships. Clearly the navigational shield and the defense shield are separate systems. Borg weapons brought down the defense shield (the bubble that encloses the ship at a small distance); where is the evidence that the navigational shield was also down?
Zero_exe wrote:
GO WATCH Star trek. Believe it or not, it wont vaporize you! Its T.V.! !!
I have seen all of TOS, all of TNG, most of Voyager, most of Enterprise, and every movie but Nemesis. Don't tell me to "go watch Star Trek".

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Zero_exe wrote: PER SQUARE INCH OK so the sun was only hitting 1 square inch, at one time??? LOLZ
The Enterprise was BELOW sun surface, and was SURROUNDED by that extreme energy.

Now for some math: Enterprise D Dimensions (Galaxy Class)
Length: 642.51m
Width: 359.0m
Height: 400.3m

L X W X H = 92 191 200 Square meters. Divide into Feet = 302 464 566.93 FT squared. Now divide that into square inches = 3 629 574 803.16 Square inches

Now for some Final math: Enterprise was below surface area (surrounded by flares and under constant radiation): Watts per inch you say is 50-100 MW/m2 on our sun? Well Then, we will go with the 100, because, the Enterprise we BELOW surface area (which is hotter) on a LARGER STAR that is also UNSTABLE. 100 in generously small here, should be higher. But lets with 100.

100 X 3 627 574 803.16 = 362 757 480 316 Mega Watts, CONSTANTLY in contact with enterprise shields, MULTIPLIED by the several hours it was in there. And it was FINE.

Confirming by CANON that Enterprise was FINE until the assimilated BORG ship, fired a Beam into the sun, with the intention of intensifying the flares (by XXXX amount %) thus resulting in HUGE multiplication factors of what the Enterprise (who was under constant radiation of 362 billion megawatts per second,) and your up in the hundreds of billions of trillions when you factor the several hours of her time spent there. The Beam was meant destabilize the sun further, So the Enterprise withstood SO much flare, which is NOT a weapon, and took it like a boss.

Your attempts to rouse me and everyone else into thinking something minuscule can defeat the Enterprise, is misguiding and misleading. Also note, I was being generous on how little radiation per square inch was actually hitting the enterprise as constant per second, for several hours.

Being surrounded by the sun for several ours is not the same as shooting it with a WEAPONIZED laser, that the Shields are designed to be adapted to.
Heres a simple analogy for you: Super soak-er shoots a submarine (turbo Laser)

Submarine submerged in the Ocean (100% contact at all times) which will cause more corrosion faster :/ :lol: :lol: :lol:
So what? That's maybe 2Mt/s spread over the entire surface of the shields. Turbolaser is concentrated firepower maybe a few meters wide which means it will penetrate far more easily. Enterprise was not surrounded by the sun in Relics and it took damage. Worf's bird of prey was far away from the surface of the sun in Redemption and was taking damage. Star Destroyer has dozens of turbolasers and will blow the Enterprise away in minutes.
Are you saying that a WEAPONIZED concentrated laser will be less effective against shields than diffuse natural sunlight?

Zero_exe wrote:@ 1:20 enterprise Vaporizes Atmosphere of WHOLE planet in less than 10 seconds. And that was NOT even a FRACTION of its possible firing limitations. Small town you say? That is soo bloody pathetic to the devastation of a single Quantum torpedo or MK 12 Phasers. But for now, just skip to 1:20 on the Vid and enjoy.
LOL. Atmosphere is vaporized to begin with. How ignorant are you?
Call me. -Batman
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

When, exactly, has any Trek ship sat inside a star? Kurn's BoP got close to one, which was considered risky, and the E-D was in danger a considerable distance from one in 'Relics'. 2MT/s over the entire shield area (as pointed out by Starkiller) vs 6MT/fractions of a second over a few dozen square metres for a light turbolaser. Somebody apparently never heard of the term 'intensity'.

And is this guy seriously trying to argue that since there's Trek weapons called lasers that don't behave like real ones, the already bogus 'immunity to lasers' idiocy automatically applies to everything called a laser? So basically, if I fire a 19 billion yottawatts particle beam at the E-D, as long as I label it a laser, the ship will be immune? Because that's sure as hell not what it looked like in 'Survivors'.

And whatever happened to canon sources only? Neither a wiki nor a fanmade video on youtube count last time I checked, though for all I know the video actually does only use original footage (damn thing stops loading on me halfway through).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ahhahahahaha, oh man. Outragious Okana ought to be given the same treatment as Threshold. Oh, not for the abuse of the audience's intellect, its just a horrible episode in general. Its telling that trektards can sit through it at all, let alone think it is a great example of federation capabilities.

But really, one doesn't even need to argue the lasers issue, because its a perfect example of how people fail to understand basic combat tactics. If your first weapon doesn't work, switch to something that does.

Okay, so lets assume for just a millisecond that the turbolasers are even mildly inconvenienced by the shields of a Galaxy Class ship (and why should it be the flagship? Enterprise is always going on diplomatic and exploratory missions, because Picard is clearly disinclined from pursuing military solutions unless forced by circumstances beyond his control). All the No Lasers argument addresses is lasers, not any other kind of energy weapon let alone kinetic warheads. So the Empire simply orders fire control to open fire with their Ion Cannons instead. Assuming that the electronics and other ship systems of Federation ships are effected the same way by such weapons as Imperial technology is, their shields quickly go offline and Turbolasers come into play again. And we have seen plenty of different types of strange radiation and particle showers wreak havok on the electronics of Enterprise, Voyager, and even the Defiant, so we know their shields don't protect them from these kinds of hazards and that they have an effect on the preformance of Federation ships.

But okay, lets assume that the Empire's Ion Cannons don't shoot the right type of radiation to seriously impair Federation technology or ship performance. The Empire staffs its ships with professional tacticians and soldiers, and this isn't exactly rocket science. They change weapons again. Instead of using their energy weapons at all, they switch to Concussion Missiles and Proton Torpedoes instead. We know that the Federation's shields are vulnerable to physical missiles and warheads, and we also know that Imperial ships have missile tubes for scenarios where they preform better than turbolasers, such as pinpoint bombardments. Their fighter squadrons also use missiles as well, and likely have the advantage that Federation weapon systems probably aren't calibrated to accurately hit such small vessels; its a rare situation that the Enterprise has to fight off shuttlecraft after all. The fight gets a little bit more expensive for the Empire since they have to load out more torpedoes and concussion missiles, but its still easily within their ability to supply that many warheads to take down such a relatively small polity.

Furthermore, the Empire can supplement their use of warheads by using boarding tactics. Star Trek has demonstrated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

...and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

...and over again, over many, many episodes that Federation security personnel are flatly incompetent. Both Voyager and Picard's Enterprise make the very basic mistake of making one officer double duty as Head of Security and Tactical Operations; thus creating the completely inexcusable situation where both Worf and Tuvok in their own shows have at times had to leave their post at tactical during a ship to ship shootout to go round up boarding parties. And so many plots of the show rest upon foreign aliens and other entities getting aboard the ship and running amok without getting caught that it goes from funny to pathetic and right back to hilarious again-- you can cite whichever alien of the week episode you want, they are all evidence of this problem. And even as I say this, there was an era when the Enterprise had separate tactical and security officers-- that was when Tasha Yar was in charge, and under her command security often plain failed to show up even when called by Captain Picard himself. That happened in the second episode of the show ("The Naked Now"). If it happened even once under Vader's command, Yar would have been choked like a bitch. In other words, Worf doubling as both Security and Tactical was actually an improvement for the Enterprise D.

And of course, there are the movies. In two of the TNG era movies the Enterprise was boarded; in First Contact it was Borg, in Nemesis it was Morlocks Remans. In the first situation, the Borg ships had all been destroyed, but the personal shields worn by Borg drones made them so much more effective than the mighty Federation officers-- named Characters, even!-- that even though the Borg Drones forgot to pack disruptors like the Borg in Descent did and basically shambled around like goddamn zombies, they still overwhelmed security and nearly forced Picard to self destruct his own vessel to get rid of them. Now think how much more effective Stormtroopers will be with their plasteel armor, heavy blasters, grenades, career long combat training, and experience *.

In the case of the Reman, the Federation knew that Reman are sensitive to bright light due to the conditions of their native planet. Did the elite Starfleet personnel (again, named Characters) take advantage of this fact by doing the very obvious and turning the lights up until the Reman all collapsed with migraine headaches? NO! In fact, they turned the lights down until it was dark enough that their own troops could barely take aim at people just three meters away. And of course, both the tactical officer and the ship's First Officer were both down in the lower decks fighting hand to hand combat instead of at their posts on the bridge, because technically the tactical officer was also chief of security while Riker is just a moron, and neither of them understands delegation of authority. Did I mention that the ship was locked in ship to ship combat at the time? Well, the enemy ship was slow and commanded by someone dumber than Edward Cullen and more obsessive than his girlfriend, but it still managed to kick the shit out of the Enterprise. I wonder why.

And before you say it, CIS ships also used forcefields as a security technology during the Clone Wars; Revenge of the Sith showed Anikan and Obi-Wan get caught in one while trying to rescue Chancellor Palpatine. So don't think Imperial Soldiers will be surprised if Starfleet uses them to try and contain boarding parties (which Starfleet personnel frequently and conveniently forget to do save when the plot tells them they should).

Oh, and speaking of boarding parties, that reminds me. First scene of A New Hope (A.K.A. the Original Star Wars before it had sequels or prequels) was a boarding scene. It featured the Star Destroyer shut down the main reactor of Leia's ship (consistent with the effects of ion cannons), then tow the ship with a tractor beam into the hangar bay to be boarded by the Dark Lord Vader himself. So tractor beams. Imperial Star Destroyers all outmass Starfleet vessels by at least as much as a Borg cube, more depending on class (IIRC a Victory Class is about as big as a cube, while the more familiar Imperial class is bigger, and ships of the Executor's class dwarf even those). No Starfleet vessel has ever gotten out of a Borg Cube's tractor beam without first damaging the emitter, and the Borg are often seen using tractor beams to simply break Starfleet ships in half. Imperial ships have redundant tractor beam emitters on turrets just like all the other weapons on their ships, and while we've never seen them use tractor beams to break the hulls of enemy vessels I don't see any reason they couldn't try. Besides, once in a tractor beam there is no more maneuvering for the victim in either universe. Even if the ship is too small to be brought into the hangar (like a Galaxy class as opposed to a Defiant), the Empire has specially made shuttlecraft for preforming boarding actions.

Besides all this, the Empire has huge fleets of ships this size. Even though the Federation had technological advantages over the Jem'Hadar (and presumably the Dominion in general), right from the first episode where they were introduced the show made a point of demonstrating why better technology doesn't always guarantee victory. The Jem'Hadar outnumbered the Federation forces ten to one. The Empire outnumbers them by an even greater margin. When the Jem'Hadar were losing against a single Galaxy class ship, the Odyssey (proving that you can have Galaxy class vessels other than Enterprise), they decided to simply ram her right in the deflector dish. Blew her up like a Pinto on Mythbusters. And Jem'Hadar ships are little corvets. The Federation and her allies are frequently seen employing walls of ships holding a battle line (even though that makes no sense in space). If getting rammed by a Jem'Hadar vessel is like being hit with a sledgehammer, getting rammed by an Imperial Star Destroyer is like betting run over by a snow plow. One way or the other, a war with the Galactic Empire is a war the Federation is going to lose, laser-proof shields or no laser proof shields.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Since when is a Victory the size of a Borg cube? The damned thing is like 3 km a side! A Victory is 900m long and not exactly anywhere near cubical.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Let's take an even simpler approach; if all ships, regardless of ST or SW had offensive and defensive capabilities commensurate with their mass, the Empire still wins. Not only does the Empire have far more ships, it has much faster FTL, more and better variety of combat vehicles and equipment. Starfleet ships not only *don't* have properly equipped ground troops/security personnel, they bring civilians with them on missions that *do* involve life-threatening situations.

A single Star Destroyer could hyperspace to Earth, lay waste to Starfleet command/destroy the various Spacedocks, and be out before Starfleet knew what hit them. Heck, an ISD could deploy its TIE Bombers and overwhelm an Starfleet vessel with missile spam alone.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I guess I'm not worth replying to even though my points contradict, not only his arguments, (lasers in Star Wars are not 'lasers' in Star Trek thus invalidating most of his original points) but internal Star Trek canon itself. (Tritanium CAN NOT be melted by the Federation in the 2300's, but they made ships out of it in the 2100's, an internal contradiction that makes the 'non-melting' aspect of Tritanium absolutely false)

But this...
Zero_exe wrote:
This is quality lying right here. The first and most obvious lie and doctored image is of the Star Destroyer in the opening scene in ANH DESTROYING the Tantive IV. Wow. Lets just ignore the fact that the Star Destroyer was not even TRYING to destroy the Tantive IV, but how about the fact that it never does. :lol:

Let's also ignore the fact that Star Destroyers have more than one type of weapon on them and given the FACT that they were trying to capture and board the Tantive IV
, you know, how they do in the next scene, that they probably were firing weaker weapons and reduced capacity.

The outright LIE that Star Trek ships don't miss... what? :lol:

And oh man, what, do they think that because we know Star Wars outclasses Star Trek in all head to head fights that we don't like it or watch it? That we aren't going to recignizse scenes? Like we don't know that the last scene is of the Ent-D burning off atmosphere that, IIRC was poisonous and actually fixed the planet, and the fact that no one is disputing that Federation tech can burn off an atmosphere or even melt the mantle of a planet? The issue is with destroying a planet, shielded or not, with one shot. There is no equivalent weapon of that magnitude in all of Star Trek-dom.

All the other examples are of the Enterprise fighting against stated IN THE SHOW CANON as inferior opponents. Not just inferior, but outright prehistoric tech wise compared to the Federation.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"