Life on board starships

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

biostem
Jedi Master

Life on board starships

Post by biostem »

I know it's been touched upon, and since Imperial vessels are military, things are more spartan than Starfleet ships, but assuming equal travel times, (and no threats of attack), which universe's statships would you rather travel on?

Thing is, we really only get a good look at the inside of ships like the Millennium Falcon or a few rooms on the Trade Federation ship, (which was more of a cargo transport). Starfleet ships seem to have nice cabins for VIPs and niceties like holodecks, ten-forward, and replicator stations.

The ICS makes mention of "parlors" in Republic Diplomatic transports, but seems to be lacking in other amenities. I realize that this is also related to the much shorter travel times in SW.

Is there any more info on ships like Lando's Lady Luck - it seems that it's rather plush from what I've read, and intended for him to be able to live on for extended periods of time.

At the same time, the little we see of non-starfleet vessels, such as the Raven, seem to imply they are rather lacking in "extra features" as well...

So what do you folks have to say on the matter?
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Re: Life on board starships

Post by Lord Pounder »

A Galaxy Class 5 Star Hotel sounds sweet. Holodecks (when they don't try and kill you), gyms, barbers, a sweet bar with stunning views all for free. By contrast a typical Star Wars ship if function over form and I doubt that many races outside the Hutts put that much work in to a luxury ship.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Han Solo's Revenge' had a luxury spaceliner out in the ass-end of nowhere and while it was a submarine, 'Dark Force Rising' had a luxury liner too so it's not like the concept is unknown in the Wars universe. They just don't have all those amenities on warships.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I was just thinking about the scene in AotC where Padme and Anakin travel on the "refugee ship" - obviously it's no luxury liner, but it did seem to have a cafeteria of sorts. I suppose that'd be more like a ferry or bus than something meant for long-term travel.

Was the Tanitive, (or w/e Alderaan's diplomatic corvette was in ANH), supposed to be "luxurious" at all?

I know there was an episode of ST where Picard and Wesley had to travel by shuttle, and that seemed rather cramped for someone of Picard's status to have to use...

I will say this, though - *if* there was a chance of danger or attack, I'd instantly want to be on board a SW vessel. St ships simply aren't reliable enough for my tastes, and I wouldn't imagine Starfleet would staff such craft w/ their top engineers.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

An example on the extreme end of the scale is the Death Star which had civilian run Cantinas and tree'd areas. But since that was basically a mobile planet I doubt it could be used as a guide to what 'normal' ships would have. I could easily see something the size of an Executor having greater 'leisure' facilities than a Imperator or Nebulon-B, etc.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

atg wrote:An example on the extreme end of the scale is the Death Star which had civilian run Cantinas and tree'd areas. But since that was basically a mobile planet I doubt it could be used as a guide to what 'normal' ships would have. I could easily see something the size of an Executor having greater 'leisure' facilities than a Imperator or Nebulon-B, etc.
Ah... but just *what* would those amenities be like? I guess since ST was mainly a TV series, they *had* to show normal life a lot more. We just see so little of "normal" life on non-military ships in SW that it's hard to judge.

Still... if safety is a concern, (and when isn't it), SW ships are the way to go.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If you want another example, there is the big fancy liner in Wedge's Gambit that cariers a bunch of Rogue Squadron (disguised) to Coruscant. It even had different classes of passengers too, which you wouldn't find on a ST ship methinks.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simonoz
Redshirt

Post by Simonoz »

In the clone wars, series 2, Anakin and Obi Wan travel on a raTher comfortable looking ship with the Duchess of Mandalore
"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives us. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. We Mandalore take everything we are and throw it into battle. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion." - Canderous Ordo, Mandalore the Preserver
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it