Just some clarification

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

PizzaP
Redshirt

Just some clarification

Post by PizzaP »

Newcomer, probably won't be around long, but looking for some info.

Been reading, seems that the general consensus here is that SW turbolasers are so powerful that no ST ship could take a hit from one, thus, one ISD can wipe out all of the ST universe.

Is the only justification for this power level the ICS reference to 200 Gigaton for the Acclamator turbolaser batteries?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Just some clarification

Post by Dalton »

You may want to read through Brian Young's Turbolaser Commentaries, which is an in-depth look at the nature and firepower of turbolasers.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

I don't think anybody but idiots actually believe that one ISD could wipe out the ST universe.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given that the Star Trek universe contains entities that might quite possibly be capable of simply wishing the Galactic Empire in its entirety out of existence, that indeed seems rather improbable.
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody actually did say so at some time or other (this board has a rather large population and has been around for a decade), but the general consensus far as I can tell is a) pound-for-pound, Wars ships have far more firepower than Trek ones (a conclusion that, by the way, predates not only the ICSes but the very existance of this here board) and b) given sufficient time and consumables an ISD could wipe out all the AQ powers with impunity (and I suspect you'll find that latter one far from universally accepted).
I can't recall any of the regulars ever spouting a single ISD could take on the entire Trek universe-just that they massively outgun any AQ ship and quite possibly the entire combined fleets of the AQ, and there's been numerous discussions showing up the problems with that even if you accept the ICS firepower numbers.
Which, incidentally, are far lower than what you'd get from simpy downscaling from the first Death Star.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

There's also that quote from Slave Ship that references the guns on Imperial ships as requiring bracing that can withstand "explosions measured in the giga-tonnage range."
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

PizzaP wrote:Newcomer, probably won't be around long, but looking for some info.

Been reading, seems that the general consensus here is that SW turbolasers are so powerful that no ST ship could take a hit from one, thus, one ISD can wipe out all of the ST universe.

Is the only justification for this power level the ICS reference to 200 Gigaton for the Acclamator turbolaser batteries?
Absolutely not. The ICS's figures are directly derived from the films themselves.

For example, we know that Rogue Squadron travels from Yavin IV to just past Yavin Prime in under seven minutes. So that's a distance of around 400,000 km. If an X wing masses around 14,000 kg, its engines would output over 10^16 watts...if my math isn't fucked up. That's a lot.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Luke Skywalker wrote:
PizzaP wrote:Newcomer, probably won't be around long, but looking for some info.

Absolutely not. The ICS's figures are directly derived from the films themselves.

For example, we know that Rogue Squadron travels from Yavin IV to just past Yavin Prime in under seven minutes. So that's a distance of around 400,000 km. If an X wing masses around 14,000 kg, its engines would output over 10^16 watts...if my math isn't fucked up. That's a lot.
This is true. And it never ceases to amaze me how many Trektards will deny this simple fact, even though it happened and we see it taking place in the film, and there is no other feasible way for those X-wings to cover so much distance unless they teleported to the other side of Yavin. :banghead:
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

No, the book's author based that figure on how much energy is required to perform a Base Delta Zero operation against an Earth-like planet.

There are also the oft quoted Dodanna Calcs from "A New Hope" which also tend to support firepower of that magnitude.

He certainly didn't pull those figures out of nowhere. For example, the 12 gigaton figure for Slave I's seismic charges were derived from their observed destructive effects against those asteroids around Geonosis for AOTC.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

The acceleration feats, the Death Star, [maybe] the Doddona quotes and Base Delta Zeroes appear to be the primary calculators. There's also the observation that a ship has to accelerate to relativistic speeds to enter hyperspace, and the comic where three ISDs exit hyperspace and crash into the Executor.
Boeing 757 wrote: For example, the 12 gigaton figure for Slave I's seismic charges were derived from their observed destructive effects against those asteroids around Geonosis for AOTC.
Speaking about that, does anyone know if Saxton received any advanced screenings/storyboards/scripts of the films to work with?
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Luke Skywalker wrote:The acceleration feats, the Death Star, [maybe] the Doddona quotes and Base Delta Zeroes appear to be the primary calculators. There's also the observation that a ship has to accelerate to relativistic speeds to enter hyperspace, and the comic where three ISDs exit hyperspace and crash into the Executor.

That particular scene is rather ambiguous though as I don't believe we are given much of a clue as to how close those ships where when they came out of hyperspace. Certainly impressive nonetheless but I doubt one could derive figures even within an order of magnitude of the true number.
Speaking about that, does anyone know if Saxton received any advanced screenings/storyboards/scripts of the films to work with?
I'm pretty sure I heard something to that effect as well.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

the atom wrote: That particular scene is rather ambiguous though as I don't believe we are given much of a clue as to how close those ships where when they came out of hyperspace. Certainly impressive nonetheless but I doubt one could derive figures even within an order of magnitude of the true number.
Since when does it matter how close the ships were? Do you mean their velocities? The ships go from relativistic to zero within a fraction of a second, so the probably that they were caught while moving at only moderate velocities is very small. Especially given the artistic style and the giant lines, which imply that the ISDs were going realllyyy fast.
I'm pretty sure I heard something to that effect as well.
Do you have a source?
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Luke Skywalker wrote:Since when does it matter how close the ships were? Do you mean their velocities? The ships go from relativistic to zero within a fraction of a second, so the probably that they were caught while moving at only moderate velocities is very small. Especially given the artistic style and the giant lines, which imply that the ISDs were going realllyyy fast.
Well yeah, but I'm just saying there's no way to get any solid idea outside of 'really darn fast'. It obviously implies an Exceutor can handle a lot to both it's structure and shielding, but it leaves more then enough material for the usual crew of shit-slinging monkeys to shit up the water with.
Do you have a source?
I think it might have been here in the Starwars canon thread that's stickied to the top of the Starwars sub-forum, but it's honestly been a long time since I read it so I'm not sure.