SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Trekkies are smart.

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Meanwhile, at starfleet jedi.
StarWarsStarTrek

Given that the Empire’s fusion powerplants magically explode upon being hit, with enough energy to mass scatter a moon sized battle station, I’d say the former.
Picard

"Moon sized" can go from 9 to 9 000 kilometers, so...

--------------

Besides, Enterprise-E is also "moon-sized", depends on which moon you take... and we don't knwo how long it took to build Death Stars, and yes, personnel costs are ususally disproportionately large.

:banghead:
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Trekkies are smart.

Post by Panzersharkcat »

*shrug*
Who cares? Wankers gonna wank.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What is the official definition of moon-sized? Because if it's 'anything that orbits a planet' ,um-no? Earth would have a couple thousand moons by that. Let's just not get into planets with rings.
Every Enterprise in existence (possibly excepting the Ent-J from ENT) is significantly smaller than anything modern astronomy ever declared a moon.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Batman wrote:What is the official definition of moon-sized? Because if it's 'anything that orbits a planet' ,um-no? Earth would have a couple thousand moons by that. Let's just not get into planets with rings.
Every Enterprise in existence (possibly excepting the Ent-J from ENT) is significantly smaller than anything modern astronomy ever declared a moon.
Some of the moons of Jupiter are smaller than 10km in diameter, so the statement "9 to 9000 kilometers" is actually (somewhat) correct. We don't actually have an official definition for moons/natural satellites other than the need to orbit a planet.

Of course a spherical body with a diameter of 9 kilometer is still way more massive than everything the Federation has built, ever.

Oh, and just for fun, we DO know something about the built time of the Death Stars, even if we go by dumb "movie only"-canon: We know roughly how much time has passed between ANH and ROTJ, so we can conclude something about the build time of the second Death Star. We can do the same for the first Death Star as well, since we know how much time has passed between ROTS and ANH, and the Death Star was clearly built within that timeframe. Both are, again, industrial feats far surpassing anything the Federation has ever done."
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Heh, is this honestly the best material you could find from SFJ?
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I like reading Starfleet Jedi forums. Few can be as paranoid and unintentionally hilarious as them.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

It is more along the lines of building a hundred frigates or one DS. Apparently Economies of scale really love Death Stars.
-a member, arguing that the construction of the Death Star is an industrial feat roughly equivalent to building a hundred frigates. His source:
ISB page 11

The Death Star Project is an example of a priority sector into which the Empire poured resources enough to have formed perhaps a score of Sector Groups
------------------------------
Since Starfleet is not incompetent that is not a problem.

[Context there; SWST is me, attempting to question how imperial ships could use fusion reactors, when they explode whenever hit, a characteristic typically not attributed to a nuclear powerplant; Picard, responding by saying that atomizing the Death Star isn't impressive, because it's moon sized, and the Enterprise could be moon sized, depending on how you view it...

To be fair, English isn't his first language.]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

On the moon-sized thing. My astronomy lecturers tend to draw a definition between "moon" and "Natural satellite" where a moon has to be a planetoid, i.e. something big enough to pull itself into a rough sphere, about a 100 km diameter.

So, Mars has two satellites but no moons. Deimos is almost certainy a captured asteroid whilst Phobos was probably plasted off the surface by an impact. Jupiter has scores of the damn things (63 was the last count I saw) and most of them are captured asteroids.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Luke Skywalker wrote:
It is more along the lines of building a hundred frigates or one DS. Apparently Economies of scale really love Death Stars.
-a member, arguing that the construction of the Death Star is an industrial feat roughly equivalent to building a hundred frigates. His source:
ISB page 11

The Death Star Project is an example of a priority sector into which the Empire poured resources enough to have formed perhaps a score of Sector Groups
------------------------------
Since Starfleet is not incompetent that is not a problem.

[Context there; SWST is me, attempting to question how imperial ships could use fusion reactors, when they explode whenever hit, a characteristic typically not attributed to a nuclear powerplant; Picard, responding by saying that atomizing the Death Star isn't impressive, because it's moon sized, and the Enterprise could be moon sized, depending on how you view it...

To be fair, English isn't his first language.]
Well according to Wookieepedia (using the SW Tech Journal as the source) a Sector group consists of 24 ISDs (I do not know if smaller support ships are included). So a score of these groups would come out to something like 480 ISDs. Still seems small a number but definitely better than Picard's idea.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!